1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta “Came Out of Nowhere, My Ass!”: The Undeniable Love Story of Rick and Michonne

Discussion in 'The Richonne Zone' started by Doctor Grimes, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richonnebaby

richonnebaby Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    To Ms. @DoctorGrimes

Forever and Always

[​IMG]

DavieVC, MamaGrimes and Doctor Grimes like this.
  2. Vivis

Vivis Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Oh @Doctor Grimes, this is a beautiful work! Thanks for the reading.It really show us all that cannon was the only possible ending for them. It show us how the obstacles and hardship they endured only made them closer and it clearly states that everything they went through was one more step to cement their admiration and love for one another. After reading that I was wondering if Tick and mochonne being together was ever possible before the whole Jesse arc (sorry, for bringing that up again)? And I often see people saying that if Joe and the Claimers hadn't showed up at the A episode when they were by the bonefire maybe Rick and Michonne could have got together there. From reading your meta it makes me wonder if that could actually happen as I see that both Rick and Michonne had to go through some healing process to get together. And expediting that situation with the Claimers without being cannon was essential, mainly to Michonne to see how far Rick would go to protect his people. Well, I don't know if I made myself clear but these two ideas got stuck in my head after reading your meta. Sorry if I went a little out of topic.

3. luv

luv Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    @Doctor Grimes u r so good. I have been busy with work come back
    and find this beautifully written time line you have set up for us. Well
    mostly for the naysayers out there. I always wanted to see more of
    what Michonne went through the same time as Rick at the beginning
    as well, just to see again the similarities in their story and lead up
    to each other, but I guess from what Gimple has given us in snippets
    we can see them.
    Andrew was right if he hadn't have met Jessie it may have taken him
    longer to deal with his past and opening up his heart to his real future.
    I feel he subconsciously was pretty close to being in love with Michonne
    but could not take that final step. A lot of factors involved there, main one
    being his guilt and loss of not saying goodbye to Lori, like you said.
    Also PTSD was and is so strong in both of them, they needed to get
    through that before they could even see the connection they have is
    more than just as friends. Jessie was such a similar character to Lori,
    know wonder he regressed and who doesn't want to go with what is
    familiar when you can't see yourself with anyone else esp someone
    as different as Michonne is.
    Unfortunately the writing was not always the best and given how
    subtle the scenes were for most of the GA it is not surprising people
    were confused with what the hell he was doing. But they did say that
    he was going to be doing a sort of Shane - that in itself should have
    been a clue- how crazy did that man get before he died. Thank
    god Rick has Michonne she knocked some sense into him, which
    showed us again how much he really needs her and how important
    she is to his sanity.
    So thank you Doctor for your "little" essay, I always love revisiting
    their journey to each other because if ever 2 people deserve the love
    and loyalty it is those 2.:corn::thumbsup:

4. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I've been thinking about this rebound theory, and it explains why Rick got over Jessie so quickly. Some of us have raised eyebrows that he got with Michonne only weeks after Jessie died, and more than that, he was acting hopeful in his scene at Carl's bedside, not like a bereaved lover. Jesus, it's like he just... forgot all about her right after she died. It sounds callous, but the reason is that he just didn't really care about her all that much. Yes, he was upset as she was dying, but that's been true for lots of people on the show who have died in front of him. And then he moved on because that's the nature of the ZA. If you lost your marbles over every person who dies, well, you'll never find them at all. No, Rick only truly went nuts when Lori died (and the Lucille deaths also shook him the hell up.) And Jessie's death did not impact him in any way at all comparable to that. She was a rebound that his heart was simply not attached to. And it's easy to get over the loss of a rebound relationship because it never meant much to begin with.

5. Valerie

Valerie Professional procrastinator....
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    this is giving me life, thank you Doc, so beautiful :heart:

6. Minty

Minty Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    What a great read! This was very interesting and well thought of, thanks for sharing. I know we're all tired of the "it came out of nowhere" excuse people give to hate on Rick and Michonne's relationship, seriously, it's old by now and I always enjoy seeing it shot down.

Oh and can I say how much I love Gimple's quote about the world screaming at them? It's probably my favorite comment about their relationship. :heart:

KatanaQueen, DavieVC, winter and 6 others like this.
  7. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Thank you for doing this, Doc! This really should come up under a Google search for Richonne. Not only for fans of the show but for the press too. Cause if I see one more article that starts with, "We didn't see it coming but....", then they go on to say how great it is, blah, blah, blah. I mean it's good Richonne press eventually. But when you have the press not seeing it too..... :sasha:

KatanaQueen, DavieVC, winter and 8 others like this.
  8. epiath

epiath Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Awesome retelling. I fulljoyed this!!!!!! All is right with the weekend. Merci!XDXDXD

9. epiath

epiath Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Mine too:cute:

DavieVC, MrsG, Minty and 1 other person like this.
  10. epiath

epiath Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    We can Forget Now. :mwhaha::drink::lol:

11. Walkingonsunshine

Walkingonsunshine The Ones Who Live
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    @Doctor Grimes meta machine strikes again. So much for being bored with your CANON ship. :lol:

[​IMG]

12. Sabachild

Sabachild Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    Amazing work DocGrimes!!!
    It is indepth logical analysis like this that shows want shipping is all about.
    keep up the great work.

All else to be
    said is ...

[​IMG]

#32 Sabachild, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  13. Nightmare

Nightmare FAIRY PRINCESS♚
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Beautiful post. :holdheart:

I had thought Jessie was a rebound myself. A kind of do-over for Rick. From the more subtle fact that Rick states that Lori would have loved Alexandria, the fact that Jessie was a housewife who dressed similarly to Lori, gave haircuts like Lori did, etc. But the whole time, Rick still had his ring on, often fiddled with it, (more subtle references to him clinging to the past), and in the end, Rick tells an unconscious Carl that he hadn't been hopeful for a real future until just after ASZ was kept safe.

After that, it was a month or two later, a close up of Rick's ring no longer on his finger (symbolizing him putting Lori behind him), and embracing the future with his family, Michonne by his side.

Yeah, i think it does make sense that Rick would rebound before realizing he had his true love in front of him the whole time. :holdheart:

14. RichonneLvr218

RichonneLvr218 Counting the days until March 5, 2017
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Wow, that was amazing! The Jessie rebound theory is inspired. I just thought she reminded Rick of Lori,but your theory makes that madness *gulp* understandable.

I came late to Richonne and TWD. The season five mid-season opener was weeks from airing when I binge-watched on Netflix and became a rabid Richonne fan, so their connection was obvious from the beginning for me. However, if that were not the case, your post would definitely make the argument. This was wonderful! :bravo:

15. Tammie Smith

Tammie Smith Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    You said a mouth full. I pity their love lives as well.

DavieVC likes this.
  16. SHEAKENBAKEN

SHEAKENBAKEN We're The Ones Who Live
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Amazing post, @Doctor Grimes! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

(And looking forward to reading it again in the future #bookmarked)

DavieVC and Doctor Grimes like this.
  17. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    @Doctor Grimes , THANK YOU for this incredibly awesome breakdown!!! You came straight with receipts as well! I LOVED reading this! Got me all in my Richonne feels. Anyone who cannot see what was happening with Richonne and by extension with Supakutz *complete agreement with the rebound assessment and how I looked at the Supakutz situation as well, besides the Lori proxy comparisons *. Well done, well done! This dissertation needs to be posted for all to see, especially critics who continue to spout the "but it came out of nowhere nonsense." Booyah and checkmate! :lol::mal::thumbsup:. :heart::holdheart:

18. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Those who didn't see it happening didn't want to see it happening. It was so freaking obvious that these two were perfect for each other except for one little thing, melanin.
    Michonne is a freaking goddess. Smart, funny, compassionate, brave, nurturing, great fighter, gorgeous and sexy ass hell. Who should this person be pared with if not the lead male character?
    Sure some of the signs between them were subtle while some not so much (all that eye banging, the elevator looks, the ass watching asking her to co-parent his child). I believe that the only way to ignore the non subtle cues was to believe that no matter how great Michonne is there is no freaking way they were going to pair Rick up with a dark skinned dread locked, non European featured black woman. Unthinkable. Even though I saw the signs I was skeptical that it was actually going to happen. I though they were fu@king with me.
    So when Jessie showed up I thought, okay here we go, back to our regularly scheduled program. White male lead gets his blond bland heroine. I wasn't even mad really, it's what I've come to expect and accept. Business as usual.
    But then the big chop happened and then the mints happened and here we are.
    Melanin keeps people from seeing the obvious and from believing in what they see.

19. QueenOfAlexandria

QueenOfAlexandria Post-Apocalyptic Power Couples Rule!
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Same! At one point, I even wondered if the writers would remix the Jessie thing and keep her around to be Rick's long-term partner. I really did, because I've seen how these things usually play out. I've seen many, many shows where a Black female character has this strong bond with the White male lead and they have the most intense chemistry out of any pairing on the show, and then nothing. Even though these relationships would make the most sense from a storytelling perspective, the writers always find a way to not make it so. Most of the time, that Black female character is killed off and the writers do everything in their power to pretend like she never existed in the first place. See: Sleepy Hollow & Person of Interest. We're all used to it by now, so I always saw it - this thing with Rick & Michonne. I just wasn't sure if the writers would go there or not; I wasn't sure if they weren't doing what we're all used to seeing other shows do. After every strong, emotionally intense scene between Rick & Michonne, I would question the writers' motives. I was trying to figure out why the writers felt it necessary for the audience to watch all of this development if they weren't going canon. Alas, they proved me wrong. I'm happy they did though.

20. Tammie Smith

Tammie Smith Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    Sad but so true, even in a dam apocalypse. Smdh

DavieVC and Philly Girl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.