1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Spoilers 6x13 Spoilery Bits for "The Same Boat"

Discussion in '6x13: The Same Boat' started by day dreamer, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Chaos

Chaos Searching for my Snatched Wig
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Okay...... I'm going to say it...... Please don't bite my head off for this.... Or stop talking to me or whatever.... But..... ImSickOfRamboCarolAndIFeelLikeTheWritersAreMakingHerIntoDarylByHavingHerMiraculouslySaveTheDayAtLeastTwiceEverySeasonAndItsGottenSoPredictableThatImTiredOfHerAsACharacterAndTheyJustWantHerToBeTheNewBadassOfTheGroupAndISometimesFeelLikeGimpleFavorsHerOverOtherCharacters!

I'm sorry please be nice to me I'm a good person I ship Richonne and I love animals and I recycle!!!!!

2. ThatGrimesGirl

ThatGrimesGirl Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    You are not alone. I have been sick of Carol for a while now. Once again she gets the cool kills. I wonder if Maggie will get a cool kill or if it will be all Carol saving the day. If I wasn't hunting down Richonne scenes, I probably wouldn't even watch this apparently Carol centric episode.

3. HustleBunnee

HustleBunnee Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This escalated rather quickly

Delightfully Thomi likes this.
  4. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I liked the direction they were taking her character in last episode. Why they felt the need to return her badass warrior I don't know.

5. Consigliere

Consigliere Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I like both Carol & Maggie. I can see where some are coming from. I will wait to see how it plays out. But you know if they get great scenes & Michonne barely says 2 words off in the background shit going to hit the fan from a lot of folks....

mrc110 and Triponsynth like this.
  6. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Well, about Carol, I don't know, I think it's also because that's just who she is, she believes she has to "save the day", no matter what... Anyway, about "Rambo" Carol, I was never impressed, actually, so... I just hope they don't make her the new Daryl, because I like MMB's acting... But, I liked that we could see her human/emotional side being explored last week because she needs to overcome her traumas that are clearly still consuming her... I'll just wait and see because I think it's all kind of part of her development, she's finally facing her demons, and honestly, I can only feel sorry for her, I really do.

I think the episode will be good because of female x female and I'm also excited for Maggie who's finally getting some attention.

#66 cgomes, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Chaos likes this.
  7. Consigliere

Consigliere Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I'm dying for a more female centric episode...I hope we get to see a Michonne , Sasha & Rosita part 2 episode that was good to see..Have a great day guys..

Lolololove3 and Chaos like this.
  8. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    No worries. There are alot of people who feel the way you do, it's just that some platforms are not what I deem as "safe spaces" to dissent from the majority opinion, thankfully I don't think that's the case here. It's painfully obvious that Carol is the favorite of Gimple and the writers and maybe I wouldn't care as much if I felt that the other characters, specifically the female characters, received good and more importantly well paced/believable development as well.

Chaos likes this.
  9. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't know if Carol is necessarily Gimple's favorite, though I do know he likes her a great deal. She's got a lot of things going for her 1) an underdog story; Carol was supposed to be killed off but spared at the last minute, which leads me to: 2) she's a fan-favorite; Carol is one of the top money makers for the show now; 3) she's unique to television -- it's not often you see a woman over the age of 40, let alone even 30, kicking ass on television; 4) Melissa McBride is a great actress; 5) she's pretty much an original character at this point, so her storyline is more pliable.

Not to say the other women on the show don't deserve some shine, but there's a reason Gimple and co. love to employ Carol, showcase her, etc. She generates buzz, and they can use her to fill in gaps in the story left by other characters since she has no comic equivalent (though I do think they're going to make her comic Michonne).

All that said, while Carol's arc has been interesting, it is beginning to feel drawn out. She's angsted over her dark-side for so long, I am beginning to lose interest. I want her to find some peace and solace, which is why I loved Carol in 6x12 so much. Finally we got to see her trying to actually let go. To stop killing. Now, on the heels of that, she's thrust right into this bloodbath.

I do understand frustration that Carol keeps getting these "save the day" stories ("No Sanctuary", "JSS", "The Same Boat") but it really does just boil down to those three episodes. And Carol has been very underused this season save for "JSS" and "Not Tomorrow Yet".

My hope is that this episode will showcase Maggie sharing the spotlight with Carol equally. I think that would help a good deal. In addition, I hope we just get some damn character development in between the killings.

I don't think the problem is that the writers are giving Carol material, but that they're not doing it for the other women as well.

felicity79, yuna, DaisyRey and 6 others like this.
  10. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I really did enjoy last episode as well, I thought they were finally paying attention to human Carol. Though I guess we just have to see how this one plays out. It would be nice to see Maggie get the saving moment, but I mean I don't expect that.

11. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't know if I said this already or if I posted it here or somewhere else because this is kind of the sentiment going around in a couple of places, lol! But, yeah, I'm going to wait and see, but if it's Terminator Carol swoops in and saves the day again and Maggie is just sitting there looking at her do it like in JSS, then I'm going to be pissed. Maggie is a badass as well. She's been sidelined for too long and needs some shine as well. Why put them together if you're only going to focus on only one?

But, yeah, the kidnapping stuff is kind of wearing thin, but I ain't gonna lie, I'm looking forward to the kidnapping episode coming up involving Michonne because I know that we're going to get some epic Rick in beast mode and doing whatever is necessary to get his girl back. That's gonna be some must-see TV for real. Otherwise, IA, they need to think of some new plot lines, but some of this stuff is in the GN, so with them following it so closely now, I guess we're bound to get some repeats like Carl being shot for a second time. But I don't think -- somebody correct me if I'm wrong -- that this particular scenario with Maggie and Carol is in the GN, so it does seem redundant and weird that they would do it and then turn around two episodes later and do it again with another kidnapping, but one that actually happened in the GN and that is more pivotal to TF.

Michroolz, tuswig and Chaos like this.
  12. day dreamer

day dreamer Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Gimple just gets stuck in his "if it ain't broke.." mindset. I'm going to wait to see the episode to pass judgement, because for all we know both Maggie and Carol are both equally kicking ass. But since she's my favorite, while I enjoy this part of her too, I wish they'd do other things. I no longer think she's one of Gimple's favorites, she's been stuck in constant misery since S4 and is being used as a prop for Morgan's "All life is precious" story. Nor do I think Carol only gets "the good" stories because there's nothing about her Alexandria story (aside from JSS) that I would call good at all. Gimple just needs to get out of his comfort zone and forcing comic stories doesn't count. It's like he has issues writing women. He can't write Carol being happy, Michonne with non Grimes relationships, Maggie without Glenn (though he's getting better there) and Sasha, Rosita, and Tara just get what's left over.

13. ClassicWoman

ClassicWoman Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I agree, I liked her in the last episode. As soon as I read the spoilers, I sighed. If they're both kidnapped, I would love to see Maggie step up instead of Carol-- we've seen this type of behavior from "badass" Carol before, but the truth is that all the members of TF are badasses in their own right. I would love to see more from Rosita or even Sasha

WalkerVoodoo, SevenStars and Chaos like this.
  14. mrkareem

mrkareem Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    Carol gets all the good stories. the other women don't get greats stories without men.

15. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think that is a vast over-exaggeration.

16. day dreamer

day dreamer Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Really? I doubt you're complaining about your favorite not getting to wear granny sweaters for an entire season. Or being emotionally cut off.

yuna, SickofShadows and Doctor Grimes like this.
  17. mrkareem

Walker Pets:
    Carol got the lizzy story line to herself. Michonne story arc is only about loving Rick and Carl. Maggie story arc is only about finding and loving Glenn. Sasha story arc is now all about Abraham loving her.

18. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Michonne has had other arcs outside of Rick and Carl ("Thank You" being an example). Maggie is now finding an arc outside of Glenn by stepping up to make deals with Hilltop (setting her up for becoming its leader). Sasha had her PTSD arc in 5B which was completely outside of her "thing" with Abe (which, by the way, is one-sided; Sasha hasn't shown the same level of interest in Abe as he has in her).

HustleBunnee, LadyJ and day dreamer like this.
  19. mrkareem

Walker Pets:
    All that story arcs the Michonne, Maggie and Sasha get outside of man are over as fast as they start. Carol had a long full story arc with Morgan. why not give Maggie or Sasha that story line. It didn't have to be Carol again.

20. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    But that's Carol's arc. Why take it away from her?

LunaFall and yuna like this.