1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Spoilers 6x13 Spoilery Bits for "The Same Boat"

Discussion in '6x13: The Same Boat' started by day dreamer, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Jon Snows

Jon Snows Babysitting Judith
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Carol's arc is specific to her and it wouldn't make any sense if it was given to another woman. The arc is basically finding a happy medium between doing what needs to be done, killing out of necessity, and maintaining her her humanity/ understanding that just because she has to kill doesn't mean that she is just a killer. This arc is Carol dealing with all of the things that she has done. Killing David and Karen, then the situation with Lizzie and Mika were very hard for her. And I don't think she fully dealt with what she's done.

Even though the other women have killed, they haven't gone through the same trauma that Carol has and they are not still struggling with it.
    In regards to the 'it doesn't have to be Carol again', I don't understand that because Carol hasn't had an arc, recently, that focuses on her development. She had moments -Terminus, JSS- but they were not as important to her development as this arc is/ will be.

2. Iguessiamhere

Iguessiamhere Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    tumblr_inline_o2peeaRu9C1thu02i_500.jpg
    Nope, not true at all

HustleBunnee and day dreamer like this.
  3. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    Although Carol may not be featured in every single episode, when she is, she is featured prominently. Just her screentime alone in "JSS" can easily rival that of another character's screentime across the of span of 3-4 episodes. Also, no one can convince me that Carol isn't a favorite in the writers' room, she is definitely one of the most complex characters and it's obvious that they go out of their way to give her the most badass moments of any character, male or female. This is not about Carol hate and I have no interest in Carol being killed off this season, I am just over the whole "Carol saves the day" shtick just like I'm over Daryl being the "white knight". Of course, I'll have to wait until the episode airs to see how everything really plays out but if these spoilers are accurate, it will just be the same ole', same ole'...like I said, it's getting repetitive and predictable.

4. mrkareem

mrkareem Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    I agree with this comment. Carol gets the most love by the writers. Only maybe Daryl gets more love then her. The writers over her screen time and story arcs. Others don't get anything important to do so Carol and Daryl can always save the day. it's getting old.

ClassicWoman and UltraCrii like this.
  5. Another episode of Carol being a female version of Jason Bourne.

Sure, lets just use a whole episode on this bullshit instead of using that time on characters that actually need attention like Sasha, Glenn and Carl.

6. Iguessiamhere

Iguessiamhere Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:

I feel you on Sasha, Glenn, and Carl. I know that physically Carl seems to be doing well, but emotionally???? I just think that the writers are trying to slow down the pacing to fool the audience into thinking that threat is over and then the true threat arrives. So instead giving character development that focus on secondary characters, they went with an action episode to slow pacing. I just hoping that at same time there are some real character building moments for Carol, but more importantly Maggie. Maggie has been character that languishing in background, she need focus on her. I hope she gets it.

7. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    I think in the grand scheme of things the underlying problem the majority of us have with uneven character development and screen time is because of how Gimple and his team deploys the use of the bottle episode. They are completely awful at it, majority of the time it's never interwoven with other stories and stops important storylines in their tracks. Character development, plot points are dropped for multiple episodes. He needs to do a better job of managing this large cast and the storytelling. I think part of the issue is AMC, the walking dead may have 16 episode seasons however I bet the actors contracts are only for 13 episodes to save money. So that means they have to strategically write them out and I think the "also starring" cast is even less then 13 episodes.

If Gimple and his team could be mentored by Game of thrones writing staff on how to manage a large cast, multiple locations and multiple storylines, I think half of our complaints would disappear.

8. watermelonsmiles

watermelonsmiles Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    i know, it feels like the beth hospital episode all over again :\
    like nothing important is gonna happen, I'm not gonna enjoy this ep much, unless someone does something to move the story along.

Bazooka Jane likes this.
  9. watermelonsmiles

watermelonsmiles Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    me three, but I'm starting to be ok with it now that i can see she's starting to think about her mistakes.
    there's nothing i hate more than a mary sue

ClassicWoman and ThatGrimesGirl like this.
  10. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

This exactly. Bottle episodes are given to the wrong members at the wrong moments. It creates resentment, and the care isn't evenly distributed. I'm not gonna lie, I used to harbor resentment for the meaty Carol stories, but I learned that it will always be her arc. She will always be hero Carol, have to do the tough stuff Carol and that won't change. Maggie's arc is confined to Glenn and vice versa. Michonnes arc is tied to the Grimes after the Governor.

I think OCs are resented, Daryl/Carol, because comic characters have to share the wealth and in turn seem to get neglected. The writers need to get more creative with their stories. Trying to tie the comic to the original stories it's all messed up. It's why Carl has been neglected. They need to take a refresher course, but this show is so popular they have no incentive to change.

11. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    Well said! Also, my apologies to anyone if I am coming off as a "negative Nancy" or a Carol hater. My issues are nothing personal against the character, it's just that I am tired of a few characters getting significant arcs on this show while others get fleeting moments and/or rushed/uneven development. Also, I just came off of a fantastic season of "House of Cards" and getting ready for what I am predicting to be an amazing return of "GoT", and TWD pales in comparison to both (sorry, it just does). When I watch great tv shows, I come back to this show disappointed because I know that they could do better if they wanted to, but they have no incentive because this show is AMC's cash cow and rakes in millions of viewers each week. TWD will never really be what it can be...and that sucks.

...and yes to the writing team of GoT to mentoring SG and his writers....hell even the writing team behind Downton Abbey would be helpful as well (yes the show is a dressed up soap opera, but handles its large cast fairly well)

#91 tuswig, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Armte likes this.
  12. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    It's a stalling episode. It will be more entertaining than anything Grady since Carol & Maggie are more interesting than Beth and we might learn something about the Saviors, but the main purpose of 6x13 to stretch out this conflict because they have too many episodes for the story they want to tell (makes wonder you why they couldn't have one episode set during the lost two months...) . Episode 14 will be stalling, too, probably.
    I'll be real: I would be more able to swallow them spinning their wheels if my favorite characters were featured, but Michonne is MIA and Rick will be bare minimum in at least this episode, so I'm a little unenthused. On principle, I support a women-centric tho; I hope Michonne amd Judith get the next one ;)

watermelonsmiles likes this.
  13. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    This is why I sometimes wish this show was only 12 or 13 episodes instead of 16...it would force the writers to make every episode MATTER and we wouldn't get as much filler.

Michroolz, vinivre, Chaos and 4 others like this.
  14. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    New spoilers from TSDF tumblr:

"Thanks goes to Jesus’s Beanie!

- Carol gets religion. Carol’s uncanny ability to pretend to be somebody she’s not is highlighted again as Carol convinces her captors she is panicked, scared and in need of comfort from some rosary beads. Little do her captors know that these will make a great cutting tool and as always, Carol has a plan.

- “We are all Negan.” The iconic, comic line will be uttered by one of the female captors.

- Walker Trap. Never underestimate the power of two smart women to use the dead against their enemies.

- Shish-ka-Savior. You’ll never eat meat on a skewer again after you see what Carol does to poor Alicia Witt.

- Glad these Saviors were never at Gitmo. The Savior women’s pathetic attempt at interrogation does nothing to sway Maggie.

- Cigarettes will kill… people. Adding tar and nicotine to her killing repertoire, Carol mic drops her cancer stick in a most dramatic way after the captors send for reinforcements.

- Rick & Co will catch up to Maggie and Carol, but – sorry Rick – the job has already been done.

- Maggie & Glenn reunite, complete with Maggie’s declaration that she won’t leave him again. (I’m as feminist as anyone Maggie, but your little peanut needs safety.)

As always, the information is accurate at the time of publishing. Anything can happen by the time the episode airs."

http://thespoilingdeadfans.tumblr.c...df-official-spoilery-treats-for-the-same-boat

Welp @ nu!Andrea lol. Also, they mentioned that Carol and Daryl share a quick hug at the end.

Ship Verse and Andrick like this.
  15. day dreamer

day dreamer Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    TSDF elaborating on a few more details:

Anonymous: so we know that carol will kick some savior ass, will we get to see maggie in some of that ass kicking action as well or is it mostly carol taking care of them??

Maggie will definitely do her share. I think we also need to rewind a little to remember that spoilers don’t really convey emotion. A lot of people think Carol is just going to go bad ass, but Carol is definitely not “well” during this whole thing. She is slowly breaking down emotionally and it is evident. We’re not going to see Super-Carol. In some ways, Maggie surpasses Carol in ruthlessness.
    ------
    : Could you give us anymore details about the caryl hug? Thank you and i love this blog (;

Ok you totally owe me for indulging this question. Y'all know shipping isn’t our thang… I want pancakes and liquor please! :)

It goes something like this:

Once Maggie and Carol are revealed in the corridor, Daryl asks if they are ok and if the area is clear. He approaches Carol and hugs her and asks if she started a fire. She says yes. He asks her if she’s good to which she responds “no.” That’s all we know!

-Ninja

tuswig, Lyra_Nation, LunaFall and 7 others like this.
  16. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is great. I was so aggravated that after 6x12 they were going to take steps right backwards with Carol, I'm so glad they're not.

And yay to Maggie getting her share of action.

tuswig, LunaFall, Chaos and 7 others like this.
  17. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Finally Carol opening up to others. She's no longer pretending.

itsbeen84years.gif

tuswig, LunaFall, day dreamer and 2 others like this.
  18. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Good, I like it.

Not that I want Carol to suffer, but it's good to see they will keep exploring her emotional side and she's finally dealing with her traumas that has affected her so much. I like her better this way.

And, yes to more of Maggie showing how strong she is, I appreciate independent badass mama Maggie!

Lyra_Nation and LunaFall like this.
  19. day dreamer

day dreamer Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I'm glad to hear we're going to see a more ruthless side of Maggie.

Slay, Mrs. Rhee. Slay.

yuna and LunaFall like this.
  20. mrkareem

mrkareem Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    This week is a pass. It should pick back up ep. 14