1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

A mass exodus from The Walking Dead?

Discussion in '7x01: The Day Will Come When You Won't Be' started by Mousey, Oct 25, 2016.

1. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    All my friends and family who watch the show are upset about the deaths they still love the show and have no plans of quitting. I am here until the end.

2. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    My sister quit. She didn't watch the premiere because I told her it was Abe and Glenn. She was already losing interest because she didn't feel the same bond that TF had in the first few seasons. I was pretty close to quitting. I wasn't even sure I could watch the SP because of what I knew. However, I did and I cried and I wailed. But, I won't care if I miss an episode. Honestly, the only thing that keeps me interested is this forum. It's fun to read your analysis...what you want to see, what you hate, what you predict and, of course, the glorious salt.

3. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I've always kind of thought that the premiere would be too dark for some people or that losing Glenn would be the last straw. I know people that quit GoT after the red wedding or after Sansa's rape. It happens...I don't think the loss of viewers, especially the ones that loudly announce it on the Internet are really indicative of actual numbers though. Only time will tell us that. I know a few GA quitters but that's out of like 50 or so GA viewers I know IRL and the rest are traumatized but still planning to watch.

As someone still invested in the show, I'm not worried about the loss of viewers at this point. They could lose a lot and still be number one and they don't even have to be number one to keep going. With only a few years left in the series, I'm still hopeful that they will make it till the end.

4. QueenTee

QueenTee Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Personally I don't know anyone that is quitting the show but I can understand people that will be recoiling from the show because of Glenn but the violence I have a problem understanding. I'm aware how brutal the ep was but for 7 seasons we've witnessed zombies literally tear the flesh from people's bones, numerous head shots, guts being exposed/eaten but 7.01 somehow crossed the line
    [​IMG]
    I get a lot of it is due to it being a major and beloved character but this show is based on a pretty violent comic. I mentioned this in a previous thread but it's really like people complaining about 50 Shades of Grey being too sexually explicit.

Or maybe I'm just a barbarian :bloody:

#24 QueenTee, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  5. Riko813

Riko813 Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I don't know anyone who is planning on quitting the show after this episode. I can understand some people quitting the show because of the death of their favorite character. Some people watch the show just because that character is in it. They have invested themselves in that character and couldn't possibly go on watching and caring about the show without that character. I don't know if I could continue watching the show if Negan had lucilled Michonne. I probably would have been pissed off as hell and sworn off the show.

As for the ones who are leaving because they are angry at a the violence in 701 and think that it crossed a moral line----give me a fucking break. This is a violent show. It was a violent show from day one. You can't watch six seasons of continuous violence and then be offended by the level of violence. If they don't like violence then they can go watch downtown abbey. The depiction of violence in this show is true to real life. In reality right now there are people doing unspeakably violent and cruel things to other human beings. This show is set in a post apocalyptic world where there is no rule or order. Where you must survive by killing and doing things you would never do now. You will run across truly evil violent people who will do heinous things. The moral line is subjective. If they do not have the intestinal fortitude to watch people get brutally killed and then move on to the next episode, they should stop watching and go find something more subdued and gentler for themselves

I believe some people will say that they are swearing off the show but they will come back. They may miss a few episodes because they are still cooling off but if they truly love the show, the characters, and the actors, they will come back.

6. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    What would make me quit is if they continue to twist and contort the stories to boost NR. Then I'm done. Like having Maggie blame herself, yet no one is suppose to blame Daryl... too through. It just cheapens everything.

7. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I remember that actually. Lots of people quitting after Sansa's rape. It's actually one reason why I haven't caught up to GOT. But then again, sentiments on the internet tends to be way more amplified.

I do feel bad for the GA that walked into this episode blind. I know we joke how Lucille was the worst kept secret, but there were still plenty of GA that had no idea what was coming in this episode. I can't imagine that feeling since I already feel traumatized, and I consumed every spoiler there was for this episode.

8. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, I absolutely understand why fans would quit if they were Glenn or Abe fans. I would seriously consider quitting if Rick or Michonne died, depending on the circumstances (if one person wanted to leave the show rather than just being sacrificed for shock writing). I always lowkey assume we lose a chunk of viewers every time a semi-major character dies for that reason, and I know they did after Beth and Tyreese left the show.

The "empty nihilism" argument wears on me because I've never seen TWD as a nihilistic, inherently negative show. It doesn't exactly depict a bright and happy future, but it's not all bleak and nightmarish either. Right now is just their lowest point ever, for a huge chunk of those people in that clearing. But it doesn't negate the love and bonds between the survivors. There's still hope -- I mean, why else would they keep fighting? They never give up in the face of the constant, sometimes even monotonous shit that keeps coming their way.

Likewise, I also am seeing "I hate this show and quit because it's repetitive" because right now, the running theory is that TF will defeat Negan in less than a season (like all the other villains so far) and repeat the usual cycle. Or they think they'll leave the community again and have to find a new one. TWD is formulaic as hell because it's a zombie show, but it's actually breaking out of those cycles as of 701, so it's annoying to read the non-spoiled be so haughty and certain about the direction of the show.

9. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Yeah many of them had no idea.
    My TL was full of how could they kill Glenn!? types of posts. Sadly many were fine with Abe dying so it worked out in the way that TPTB wanted for fans that were unspoiled. Relief and then shock and horror with Glenn. I can't imagine because I knew and I was still shocked and horrified.

Gooey Goobert likes this.
  10. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I have sympathy for losing a fav. My line is anyone in Grimes 2.0. If Rick or Michonne died, I would seriously consider quitting.

But frankly, I really don't get people's complaints about the show. There are definite valid criticisms, but I don't understand the the accusations of cheapness and manipulation. The comic is violent and over the top. The show will mirror some level of that.

hewontgo, lovingdead and QueenTee like this.
  11. Lilly965

Lilly965 Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    My fella said it was like watching an Isis video. He's quit

idcabtthisish likes this.
  12. luv

luv Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    :lol::roflmao:

QueenTee likes this.
  13. samurai mom

samurai mom Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    There is always a straw that breaks the camel's back and 7 x 1 might be it
    We have seen horrific violence before like Noah and Terminus but this is too
    If the murders were done in April they would have been more about Glenn and Abe and mourning them
    But this was a sadistic degrading disgusting and disreputable display of Ngan TALKING non stop posing prancing and being a murderous villan while all the while we are being told he is so funny and chars ma tic like we have to like him
    We are not lemmings, I don't want to see this guy for seasons on end

Really go back and listen to the dialogue it sounds like it is taunting the viewers
    Like a threat, we do what we want as Kirkman once said.
    I still love my faves but have lost all my anticipation hype and hope that it will become the show I hoped it could be
    The Walking Disappointment is how I feel about it

coffeebean and The Last Big Kat like this.
  14. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I feel like some people may walk away, yes. Everyone knows they were signing up for horror but everyone is also entitled to their breaking point of what they can handle. The violence and emotional upheaval was intense but I also feel like the payoff of this arc in the end will be worth it.

That said, as disturbed as I was (even knowing the play by play) and as shook as I was and still am a bit, the violence is not making me leave. I think the show has potential to be better than ever if they play it right and TF will band together and heal like never before.

I talked to quite a few GA viewers and none are leaving the show. I dunno, maybe tough New Yorkers? None of them were phased by the violence even if they were saddened by the deaths. I feel like some viewers will leave but I also think this episode will make some newbies curious. The numbers will decline a bit as they always do this late in a run and after a premiere but we will see. I also remember people threatening to leave after certain TB episodes yet the numbers stayed strong. Only time will tell.

15. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Soooo, people are ok with Cannibals, people who want to rape a young boy, others who attack eda peaceful community because they shouldn't have nice things, but have an issue with a mafiosi style enforcer????

16. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I honestly think people are reacting because of their emotional upheaval and blaming the violence for it. I was more disturbed by the violence in No Sanctuary at the trough but still not enough to turn my back on the show. This got me more because of my connection to the victims but I was still able to disconnect that from the message and see why it was delivered the way it was. Not everyone is that capable. If the same actions were performed on a TF enemy or some randoms people would be more ok. But seeing Glenn brutalized like that was a bit much for some as well as the unrelenting darkness and torture of Rick our hero. I get it, but can understand why it was too much for some despite what they have previously endured. I think a lot of viewers were expecting intensity but were taken by surprise at the feels they felt.

17. samurai mom

Walker Pets:
    In what universe would team family wack someone 20 times taunt them or lure them and eat them our kill them and cut their bodies in half and destroy their homes
    I have always thought TF fights for one another to live and get back to some place of normality
    They don't kill steal and destroy and even when they think about it they still end up doing the right thing
    Negan is a straight up bad guy who actually tortured Glenn
    He prolonged his death for some dumb dialogue
    And we all know he won't be dispatched in one season
    It's just gross

18. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    Im not saying TF would do that.

My point was that for a lot of viewers, not all, it was more visceral because we loved the victims. I talked to some people that actually weren't bothered by the violence at all and loved it. Those are your hardcore horror fans. But for most it's like they have been somewhat desensitized considering violence seen in previous episodes but this was just too much because of the celebratory spirit of the murderer and the connection to the victims. And that's ok. I'm not arguing that people shouldn't be disturbed if that's how they feel.

mellowalkerstalker likes this.
  19. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover Ricktator

Walker Pets:

And THIS is why I believe many folks took issue with the violence. Look everyone who watches the show, KNOWS its' a violent show. We go into with this understanding. So I think what people took issue with was the fact that that TF never became THAT sadistic and brutal, even with their run ins with the Govenor/Terminus/Saviors yet that was done to THEM Negan style. Both Negan and TF are fighting for survival, however, for numerous people it's the WAY in which TF goes about accomplishing this that matters. They are not sadistic, don't rape, pillage, torture, or eat people to get what they want. When they bring in new people, they are not under servitude. Yes, folks contribute to TF, but it's willingly. No one is forcing their hand. Yes, they raided the compound and killed a bunch of Saviors,, but it was quick death for many of the victims, not torture or playing psychological warfare on them. Hence, to see two fan favorites be sadistically tortured in such a manner, have their head being beaten to an absolute pulp, and showing it, along with Rick being utterly broken like we have NEVER seen before, was a bit much for some (and me). And it happened all in ONE episode. Usually with the violence, it is isn't constant and not for the entire episode. But this ish was relentless and never ending. People were emotionally spent after all was said and done. I know I was a wreck after this episode and still am, days later. Will I keep watching? Yes, for Rick and TF. I want to see them gather their strength and resolve, outsmart and outthink, and rise up against Negan and beat.. his.. ass...and then go Murder Rick on him.

However, what I do believe in a twisted way, the show is demonstrating how SOME individuals like Negan, come to power in a time of crisis and upheaval ie., the ZA. Not with love, community, understanding and compassion, but sadism, brutality and complete control and dominanation over their "people". Men like Negan relish this power, are drunk off of it. Negan is a sadistc dictator and like I mentioned in another post, this is true to life. Look at what is happening all over the world and has been happening since the beginning of time. This isn't new. But I think this aspect hit a little too close for comfort for a lot of fans since we do watch TWD to be entertained above anything else and many folks were not entertained in the least. Especially when your favorite is involved in said torture that eventual leads to death. So, I get that people have their limits and want to stop watching.

#39 ALDGRichonneLover, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  20. samurai mom

Walker Pets:
    Yes thank you, this is some of my thoughts but also why is violence the main thing? No reflection conversation on who they have lost what they have been through
    I thought on the Richonne episode 6' 10 why didnt the episode start in the kitchen with talk of Carl's eye rebuilding Alexandria regrets re those who died the lack of food still establishing the family dynamic but in a more meaningful way
    Then the last 3 episodes of season 6 just dumb decision after dumb decision
    Negan could have been saying things like you killed my people stabbed shot burned them alive you think Im going to let you get away with that
    The show seems to do things the opposite of what I hope to get to a point in the story and I dont see that changing
    I'll watch some shows live and skip others it will be on for years to come anyway in reruns Netflix and whatever