1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

All Hail The King! (King Ezekial Appreciation Thread)

Discussion in 'The Kingdom' started by MamaGrimes, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The thing is, though… it’s not all bad. It can’t be. It isn’t. Life isn’t. Where there’s life, there’s hope, heroism, grace and love. Where there’s life, there’s life. I hope that’s not what you’re walking away from. So what if I am? Maybe you don’t have to. I made my own world here. I found a way to deal with the bad by going a little overboard with all the good. I just… embraced the contradiction. Maybe you could, too, in your own way. Like, maybe you could go and… not go. Yeah, I sound like a crazy person. I get it. You know, maybe I am.

Denie39 and MamaGrimes like this.
  2. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  3. Deep_Ricking

Deep_Ricking I like it raw.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I love your signature.

MamaGrimes and Gooey Goobert like this.
  4. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  5. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    Yes, I enjoying the hell out of Zeke. Oh, he won't replace my Rick/Glenn love, but he is quickly becoming a favorite. I was a bit nervous because I was not very impressed with GN Zeke, I thought he was too cheesy, but Khary KILLED it with his portrayal and I am looking forward to when he meets the rest of TF. Khary made quite the impression on me as Zeke with some major charisma and presence. In addition the man is yummy!! :zeke: And Shiva is BOSS. :shiva2: I am here for King Zeke!

6. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is sort of a combo Khary/Zeke appreciation post. I ended up putting it here because he dives into the character quite a bit. But Khary is such a delight so let's show him the love as well! :hearts:

The Walking Dead Q&A — Khary Payton (King Ezekiel)

Khary Payton, who plays King Ezekiel on AMC’s The Walking Dead, talks about the Kingdom, his plans for Morgan and Carol, and his beloved tiger, Shiva.

Q: How much did you already know about King Ezekiel before joining the show? Did you read the comics at all?

A: I sort of went in with a blank slate. I watched the show, but I only had a cursory idea of the comic books. Once I got the sides for my audition, I did some research because they said it was a guy with a lion. It wasn’t too hard to know that it was Ezekiel and Shiva, so I kind of went from there. I had actually seen images of Ezekiel, binged and did some cramming to get up to speed, but I came in relatively blind.

Q: What was your first impression of this signature character, who speaks and acts like, well, a king?

A: I think people who’ve been watching the show but haven’t read the comic books will be surprised. Their first thought about Ezekiel will be, “What the f-ck?!” The truth is he’s very grounded and his backstory is probably one of the most extensive because you’ve got to justify what the hell that is. So, they’ll be surprised at the beginning, but that’s the whole point. You don’t introduce yourself to people with a tiger at your side if you weren’t planning on throwing them off a little bit!

Q: What about the Kingdom? This is a community with fresh fruit and movie night – not something we’re used to seeing in the apocalyptic world.

A: They’re not living to survive. They’re living to live. They have a choir, they have people who play music, people who are learning archery not just for the sake of killing but for the sake of learning a skill set, people who read books, people who paint – they’re trying to live beyond survival. Ezekiel’s got kids to worry about and not everyone in his kingdom is a fighter. If he can somehow dance between the raindrops and make this work without going into a fight with someone, then he’s going to try and do that.

Q: What are your thoughts on his “peaceful approach” to leading? Do you believe he always took this approach or did something change his ways?

A: This is just me talking out of my ass and I could be totally wrong, but I’ve thought about this a lot and as far as I’m concerned, I don’t think he’s ever leaned towards the violence. How does that first encounter happen with everyone who comes into contact with him? If he’s walking down the street with a tiger on a chain, no one walks up to him and says, “Hey man! How are you?” He’s got to use his diaphragm to talk to everyone… One thing led to another as he tried to build this utopia and I think he’s always tried to protect his people.

Q: Ezekiel is able to quickly see through Carol’s “sweet act” and she’s able to see through his persona as well. Any thoughts on why they’re able to be honest with each other?

A: He’s an actor and he can tell when someone’s putting on an act or a fake role. I think Carol is just wary of anybody, but I also think he sees a lot of strength in her. He knows that in order for her to fight past all the stuff the Saviors do to people, she has to be an incredibly resilient person. He’s attracted to that strength and I think he feels like he needs someone like that in the Kingdom. Through their conversation, you get the idea that she won’t trust him until he gives her a reason to and that’s when he drops his facade.

Q: What about Morgan, who at first thinks Ezekiel only wants him around to kill more of the Saviors?

A: I think he sees the same dynamic in Morgan – that there’s a person who’s living in this crazy world who’s trying to remain human and trying to hold onto what it means to have humanity in a world that is upside down. Morgan’s made a conscious effort to be more than just an animal trying to survive. Ezekiel sees a confidant in Morgan, and he’s trying hard to get him to trust him.

Q: Do you agree that people need someone to follow in this world? Or is Ezekiel just “selling a fairy tale” to his people like Carol says?

A: I was always on Ezekiel’s side, and I knew that he was a good guy. I’ve gotten a lot of messages from people who aren’t sure whose side he’s on and what kind of leader he is, and I think everyone will realize he’s really this benevolent figure who’s trying to do the best he can for these people who have gravitated towards him. He’s trying to fake his way through this really hard job that got thrown onto him – and he happens to have a tiger.

Q: The members of the Kingdom seem very diplomatic and fair – especially compared to the Saviors. Is that a pro or a con in this world?

A: It may present danger sometimes, but he’s also kept his people safe for a long time… It’s kind of like Negan is the president of the frat house down the street whose university died and now it’s a bunch of frat boys with an unlimited supply of beer and they’re being assholes 24/7. [Laughs] Sorry to all my friends in fraternities!

Q: Was it hard to act like you were interacting with a tiger even though Shiva wasn’t there?

A: My part was easiest because it was everybody else that had to be freaked out by the tiger. I was just like, “This is my tiger!” It was funny because the first time she roared, I kept joking that I was going to jump out of the throne like, “Oh sh-t!” because if there was actually a tiger next to me, they’d never actually be able to get a take done. All I had to do was make believe and it was a whole lot of fun.

Source

#26 MamaGrimes, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  7. Rickscolt

Rickscolt Eating your protein bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    His smile is so infectious, had me grinning like a complete fool!

8. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  9. Walkingonsunshine

Walkingonsunshine The Ones Who Live
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  10. Walkingonsunshine

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  11. Walkingonsunshine

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  12. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Wow, that's really good!

13. Walkingonsunshine

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  14. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  15. MAZIKEEN

MAZIKEEN KING EZEKIEL'S QUEEN
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    1st scene with Ezekiel, my jaw dropped and lost my sense of speech for about a second. Damn fine man sitting on his chair with Shiva right by his side. It don't get any better than this.But then he spoke and it was all over. This really is the kingdom a really special place, I'm gonna love and not want to leave. More King Ezekiel please.

16. QueenOfAlexandria

QueenOfAlexandria Post-Apocalyptic Power Couples Rule!
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  17. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  18. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets: