1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Andrew Lincoln: Season 7 Is More 'Lord of the Rings' Than 'Lord of the Flies' (Hollywood Reporter)

Discussion in '7x01: The Day Will Come When You Won't Be' started by Doctor Grimes, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This was a heartbreaking interview to read. It hurts.

What was filming this episode like for you?

I wanted to do justice for those two guys — two amazing friends of mine that had served the show so beautifully and I wanted to put it all on the line and leave it out on the field. It was what you saw: it was very intense and like nothing else we've ever shot. My chief concern was to tell the story of a defiant man [Rick] being turned into an obedient man through grief and trauma, which is why the chronology was in that way. You start with a man saying, "I'm going to kill you," and at the end of the episode, you get a man begging and thanking this monster who has killed two of his family for sparing his friends and family's lives — and arm. It wasn't a cake walk! If I had known — the script came quite late — I probably would have stayed on the plane if I got it before I came out to Atlanta. It was pretty hardcore.

This show has seen Lori (Sarah Wayne Callies) come back to Rick in visions. Given the trauma everyone went through here, is there a chance to see Abraham or Glenn again in flashbacks or visions this season?

The legacy they leave on the show will absolutely be there. The echoes of their death will haunt these characters until the show finishes. But that kind of question is above my imagination, I just say the words and show up! Both of those characters and both of those actors carved such heart, humor, love, gallantry and honor — they both embodied those characteristics. It's a devastating loss but when I said the same to [showrunner] Scott M. Gimple] when we lost Hershel (Scott Wilson) and I missed him terribly. I said the same thing this season and Scott said, "That's the point."

How does losing Glenn and Abraham compare to the show's other deaths?

I can only talk on a personal level because this show is so personal to me. Losing Michael, he's a soldier and leader in his own right and is a vastly experienced and talented actor that when he was on set, brought energy and professionalism and great humor. Losing him was a terrible body blow but to lose Steven, the prospect of coming back another season without my friend makes that prospect a lot less appealing. That's how seismic losing Steven is. He's one of my best friends. Period. He's also a founding father of the show. He knows what was required to make the show and has given every ounce of sweat to the show and grew up on the show. To lose my friend and another great leader is awful and has left a shadow over the set and the story. But it's the story we're telling. We're telling a much bigger story than we have for the last few years. It feels like we've jumped into the deep end of the pool now.

What could be the glimmer of hope for Rick in coming out of this?

This is the lowest point in a whole calendar of bad days in the zombie apocalypse, this is Rick's worst. It's going to take an enormous amount for him to recover — and everybody else to recover — from this devastating double blow of grief and trauma. There's a great Nelson Mandela quote that has been bouncing around in my head the whole season: "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."

Negan and Carl have a unique relationship in the comics. What might Rick's reaction to that look like?

It would make me happy as an actor. I'm very excited to see if they go down that route how Rick will react.

Maggie isn't in great condition. Can her baby survive? Can Maggie survive this ordeal?

I think her tenacity and first reaction after losing the love of her life is incredibly powerful and it reverberates: We fight. We're very fortunate in our show that we have writers that really write well for all of our characters — particularly the women, which thrills me. All of these characters have been shattered by this event and every one of them will react in their own individual and personal way. This show is about hope. It may not feel like it sometimes — it may feel like it's about grief, tragedy and trauma but it is ultimately about hope. The thing about Rick and that family is they've bene through so much pain and tragedy, but they still have that connection between them. The only glimmer of light in a dark episode is when Rick says to Maggie, "He's our family too." That's a key insight into where the rest of the season is headed.

Comic book readers know the All Out War arc is coming. How would you describe the rest of the season? Is it setting the stage for the battle between Rick and Negan? Is the first half about grieving? Where do we go from here?

All I can say is this season is more Lord of the Rings than Lord of the Flies. That's the best I can do. It's kind of glib but it's the best I can do.

There are several new communities being introduced this season: The Saviors' compound, more of the Hilltop and the Kingdom. Given this experience with Negan, how might Rick approach new people?

Pride comes to fore fall and last season he showed a lot of hubris and made some decisions that in hindsight were incredibly irresponsible and cost lives. You're going to see the after effects of that play out with Rick in all areas of the story.

Did you think the episode was too violent?

I didn't watch it. I don't watch the show so I can't comment on it. Judging by people's reactions … we asked everybody to kneel with is in that episode. It was a very brave call storytelling-wise to ask the audience to kneel beside us. ​

Source:The Hollywood Reporter

He sounds so done. It hurts.

2. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I had to post his quote about losing Steven on tumblr because I couldn't suffer alone. :( Sad Andy makes me miserable. :(

3. Mullet of Lies

Mullet of Lies Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    In before this gets taken WAY out of context.

This makes my heart hurt. D:D:D:

4. Mrsthicke

Mrsthicke Slopping Pigs
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Again, I just hope this doesn't affect his enjoyment of the show. I mean I can already sense it with his interviews and stuff, which is understandable.....but I need him to go home and spend time with fam and live happily cause that's some depressing shit I just read.

5. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    YOU BETTER COME THRU WIT THE NELSON MANDELA QUOTE!

Sorry. Ahem. Consider me depressed again.

Oh, and I wish we knew what he knew abt a writer who writes great shows for the women. That has yet to be seen. Hopefully the outcome will live up to this article and the spoilers

6. Valerie

Valerie Professional procrastinator....
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I was depressed and reading this made me more depressed. Hope they can all pull through....

7. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This was heartbreaking, @Doctor Grimes . He sounds so sad when he talks about Steven. I also hope he can find some enjoyment on set when they return for filming next season. It explains why he returned to England so often. He wanted to be with his family, people he loves. Sounds like it was really hard for him to film without SY.

8. nat_richonne

nat_richonne The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    In the back pocket of Michonne's tight jeans.
    Maybe it's because the victims have just been revealed and Andy is finally able to talk about it but from the interview it doesn't sound like filming is as fun anymore for Andy. This makes me sad.

9. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Add the fact the core group are split up in different places and not filming together as much. Plus all these new characters coming in.

10. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Oh, AL's words in this interview are breaking my heart. Has he fallen out of love with the show? Maybe that's why he hasn't been as much of a presence lately as he usually is.

tuswig, box5angel, Valerie and 3 others like this.
  11. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    He's a professional and knows what he signed up for with a show about zombies. He's just expressing his legit sadness over losing a co-worker, :( Everyone is pretty tight on this show.

#11 Denie39, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  12. Iguessiamhere

Iguessiamhere Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Reading this. It hurts. It really hurts.

Valerie and Doctor Grimes like this.
  13. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    Thanks for sharing this @Doctor Grimes. This just breaks my ever loving AL soul. He sounds so damned sad through all of this. But when he stated this, I knew this is why he was home in England so much. Folks gave AL such a hard time for not being at certain CC's this year, but I can completely understand why he didn't. My goodness, this was a lot for him and he had to go to a truly dark place to exemplify Ricks trauma on screen. He did an AMAZING job and for that, I am truly grateful. I hope that he is healing, because he seems so sad. This is too much... T_T I just want to give our precious unicorn a big huge hug right now.. :hug:. He is such a gem and awesome human being.

What was filming this episode like for you?

I wanted to do justice for those two guys — two amazing friends of mine that had served the show so beautifully and I wanted to put it all on the line and leave it out on the field. It was what you saw: it was very intense and like nothing else we've ever shot. My chief concern was to tell the story of a defiant man [Rick] being turned into an obedient man through grief and trauma, which is why the chronology was in that way. You start with a man saying, "I'm going to kill you," and at the end of the episode, you get a man begging and thanking this monster who has killed two of his family for sparing his friends and family's lives — and arm. It wasn't a cake walk! If I had known — the script came quite late — I probably would have stayed on the plane if I got it before I came out to Atlanta. It was pretty hardcore.

14. thesamurai

thesamurai The World Is Ours
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Poor Andy. He misses his buddy so much :(

15. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]
    There's a great Nelson Mandela quote that has been bouncing around in my head the whole season: "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."

Dear lord, slay me with this! And THANK YOU for this quote Andy. Truer words have never been spoken. Gives me life right now.. :holdheart:

16. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    This is why I love this show and am so connected with the characters. Everyone gives it their all.

17. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    I noticed that as well, AL's heart doesn't seem be in it at the moment in regards to his interviews. I do wonder if it is solely because he is still recovering from the loss of SY on the show or perhaps because he's not really loving the direction/storyline for this season.