1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Austin Amelio on playing the new Walking Dead villain

Discussion in '6x14: Twice as Far' started by Doctor Grimes, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    A nice interview with Austin Amelio who plays Dwight. It's really awesome he got the role even though he's never starred in television before.

[​IMG]
    ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Before we get into this latest episode, take me through how you landed the role of Dwight.
    AUSTIN AMELIO:
    I was in L.A. for seven months, and to me it was just another audition. I worked my ass off on it the night before for, like, eight hours. So I went in and was one of the last two auditioners, and I heard the casting director go, “Okay, well, we’ll just find the guy tomorrow.” So I was like, “Okay, this is it. I’m bringing it.” And I guess just ended up having a good audition, and it was one of those ones where I was like, “Okay, I think I did a really good job.” Then two days later, they said I booked it, signed some papers Monday, got ready Tuesday, flew out Wednesday, and started shooting Thursday. So it was really crazy. It was super quick.

When we first met Dwight, he seemed like a half-decent guy who was just stuck in a bad situation and who did what he had to do and took advantage of Daryl’s generosity, but he didn’t seem like a terrible person. Now, however, we see a very different Dwight in this episode. What do you make of that, and what has changed?
    His whole thing when I first got introduced was hanging onto his morals and his values and hanging on to the concept that he just wants the world to go back to how it was. And that was kind of where I was at with him in that episode. And now he’s a completely different guy. He’s adapted to the world. He’s running with Negan, and I think he’s still held back, but he’s adapted, and he knows how the world works and there’s no turning back. I think he’s come full circle to the understanding of what’s really going on.

He’s taunting Daryl, as if he’s angry at him for some reason.

Yeah, and now there are certain rules that he has to follow, and that’s just what it is: Those are the rules. I say it in the episode. I go, “This is how we like to start a business deal. This is kind of the way it is.” And at this point he doesn’t even blink an eye when he makes that kill.​

Read the full interview at Entertainment Weekly

WalkerVoodoo and Appetence like this.
  2. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Haha, it was fun reading how they executed the crotch bite.

He seems like an interesting guy. Now I wanna know how he got ino the entertainment business. He mentions that he doesn't own a tv.

3. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Great interview. I like to pretend that yesterday's episode was his actual debut and not 606 in which case it was amazing. I really hope we get to see a lot of him moving forward and he doesn't turn into yet another neglected character.

4. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The burn looks so much better in that picture than it did on TV for some reason. It was probably the sunlight.

I really love that they got a complete unknown for this role, I'm really excited to see where Dwight's headed.

Psst @Doctor Grimes that picture would work for your Dwight emoji :lol:

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  5. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

Don't mind me... :salt::salt::salt::salt::salt:

6. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Lol. I feel you. I thought I'd hate him for killing Denise but they threw in that line of how he was aiming for Daryl and all was forgiven on my end.

Joan Holloway likes this.