1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Bad to the Bone - Negan Appreciation

Discussion in 'Negan / Jeffrey Dean Morgan' started by MamaGrimes, Jan 27, 2016.

1. blackjack

blackjack Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I don't care what other people say. Negan was my favourite, in the comics, damn near since his first appearance. I love him every bit a much. He's hilarious, unpredictable, scary, crude, evil, vile, strangely charming, friendly, and as vulgar as AMC will allow. JDM is doing an excellent job with the part and you can tell hee enjoys it. That transfers well, because Negan's enjoyment of what he's doing, looks more genuine. He's a sick, psychotic, bully, that I can't help but love. :negan::lucille2:

2. MadameCassie

MadameCassie Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    It's a shame that JDM/Negan's forum is hacked by detractors. Other fan forums/sites that I've been too is 50/50 on Negan which is the best for me. I think I might end my time here. I mainly joined b/c it was a better alternative to that forum that shall not be named. But it's almost the same! Except it's more accepting of POC lol.

3. Bailey88

Bailey88 Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Honestly, I'm considering quitting TWD fandom all together. I love this forum because it's supportive of Richonne and I wasn't finding that on other sites. However, I am not only here for Richonne. There are other characters I love on this show and it saddens me to see nasty comments directed toward them just because someone is not a fan. I'm starting to see the same things I didn't like on those other forums here and personally it's a turn off for me. It's really unfortunate because this use to be my safe haven because people were more respectful of the characters and one another.

Tisha Grimes likes this.
  4. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That's a shame to hear. I am sorry you are unhappy. The thing is I can't force people to post about what they don't want to post about -- and there just aren't that many Negan fans here. People are going to post criticisms here just as other fans will post theirs elsewhere.

If you've seen any bashing of JDM, please report the post as bashing of any actor isn't permitted. (I mean anything aside from criticism of his acting, which is fair game as it is with any of the performers). As for Negan, the reality is he's a villain -- just as the Governor, Gareth, Joe, etc. have all been villains. As a result, he's going to get a lot of heat. It's just going to happen with bad guys when they're hurting the good guys.

Nothing is wrong with being a Negan fan. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Speaking personally, I am not much of a fan of him. I was cool with Negan's comic counterpart, but I just haven't warmed up to his portrayal on the TV show. I've said it before, but I am hopeful his character will become better to me in the next half, or even next season, but I can't help but feel the missed the mark here. Which is a shame since I do think JDM is an incredible talent (and good looking to boot!). But I don't fault anyone for enjoying his performance or the character. Not everyone will feel the same though.

The most I can suggest if you choose to stay here is to just find positivity where you can and share your love of his character in the appreciation threads (like this one). People aren't seeking out Negan fans here to make them feel bad.

As to this point, @Bailey88:
    I am not omnipresent as a moderator or admin, but you are making an implication that forum members are not being respectful towards other forum members. If you have seen disrespect, report the post or contact a moderator or myself. Personally I haven't seen anything that hasn't been dealt with or resolved between both parties, and making statements like this besmirches the forum and is not called for. I do not appreciate it.

#304 Doctor Grimes, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    Walkingonsunshine and LunaFall like this.
  5. Caribbeanqueen11

Caribbeanqueen11 Supplier of Mints
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    As someone who started off in that "forum that should not be named", I have to say I am insulted that you and would compare this site to a place filled with blatant racism and hate.

I am a fan of JDM, but can honestly say I do not like his portrayal of Negan. I do not enjoy this character and, while I have seen many posters here also state their dislike of the character, they have never bashed JDM or other posters who support him. By your comments am I to assume that because I have stated that I don't like JDMs portrayal of the character, that I am in some way as small-minded and malicious as the posters over at STD?

There are many here who have likes and dislikes of specific characters, it is par for the course when you join online fandoms.

This forum remains the safe haven for many like-minded, mature individuals, the vast majority of which are Richonne lovers. But there are many here who have other favourites; some may not agree with their choices, but the discussions are well-reasoned and respectful.

Whether you and @Bailey88 choose to leave, well that's your choice, but please do not besmirch this board or the posters within it prior to doing so.

6. Bailey88

Walker Pets:
    My intent was not to offend anyone. I know people work hard on this forum and I have had fun communicating with others here. I do apologize if I made it seem like this is a bad place. I was only expressing that I have seen comments toward others that didn't sit well with me. Maybe those issues were resolved and I didn't follow through to see. This forum is definitely one of the better ones because I've experienced blatant racism on other sites.

Tisha Grimes and Doctor Grimes like this.
  7. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's okay. I understand being frustrated when one doesn't feel their ideas or opinions are accepted or rare. I can see as a fan of certain characters why it would be antagonizing to see criticism of them at every turn, but unfortunately the only solution I have if rules aren't being violated (re: bashing) is to try and turn certain threads into bastions of positivity. An appreciation/love thread won't have negative commentary in it -- nor would it be allowed.

Tisha Grimes likes this.
  8. Bailey88

Walker Pets:
    Thanks for the very good advice. The fandom can be draining at times but at the end of the day we all love this show and that's why we are here. It is frustrating sometimes but you have truly made me reconsider leaving the fandom. I also want you to know it was not because of this forum. TWD fandom is large and many people post negative things to get a reaction. That does not happen here so maybe I should only stick this forum. Once again I'm truly sorry if I caused trouble with my previous statement.

Tisha Grimes and Doctor Grimes like this.
  9. MadameCassie

MadameCassie Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    Wow didn't know my comment would make this thread alive again lmao.

I apologize if I offended anyone. Obviously STD is horrible in every way but some of the comments on here
    (in general) are starting to remind of STD.....

I lost interest in the show anyway since the beginning of S7.

Tisha Grimes likes this.
  10. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    No community is going to be sunshine and roses. Each forum is going to have its pros and cons, it's cliques, and the stuff like that. I've said this many times, but this forum isn't for any one particular fan group. There's sections for everyone, and everyone is protected by the same rules.

However, this forum has a member base that was born with Rick and Michonne fans. While this isn't a Rick and Michonne fan only forum, for the most part, Rick and Michonne fans will gravitate here. It's just how it is. Given that, criticism of characters who aren't Rick and Michonne will be more commonplace as there's not as many voices to uplift those other characters. This is probably what you've noticed.

This is why I encourage fans of other characters to spread positivity about their faves. Griping about how other people don't like the same characters you like doesn't help -- and only serves to muzzle people who are just expressing their opinions.

If you are under the impression this forum has some hostility -- report the post. Moderators will look into it. If you disagree with someone's criticism of a character, open a debate. Personal attacks are against the rules, so if someone attacks you (or anyone else) for their difference of opinion, report it and action will be taken.

Speaking as the admin, I haven't noticed anything that is "below the belt". Do other fans get snarky about other characters? Yes. But I know those posters, and they wouldn't get pissy in a debate about it and resort to attacks. It's just the way of the Internet.

But I also know from experience that ill feelings are easy to spring up when one sees a character they love attacked. It's for this reason I have rejected certain fandom spaces. So if you feel you must leave because you just don't like the climate here, then nothing is stopping you.

I am sorry the show isn't holding your interest either. That's never fun -- and I can see that can make a forum just unpleasant anyway. Hopefully the show will endear itself to you again in the future.

Lilly965, Katbird, hewontgo and 3 others like this.
  11. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    @Bailey88 and @MadameCassie I love JDM and I like Negan. I don't like that he is getting so much scene time right now because I miss the group being seen more. But I think JDM is doing a fantastic job. I really can't see anyone else playing him. It is very hard seeing a character and actor you love getting bashed all the time. Trust me as a huge Carol fan it can be rough around here. So stick with it. I will try to post more in here. Have been feeling a little down about the show this season. I am neglecting my posting lately. So hope I see you more in here. I will say I hope we get some more funny moments with Negan. That is my favorite part of the way JDM plays him. I catch myself saying I really should hate Negan but I can't. I do wish we could get him in scenes with more of the cast. He seems to bring out the best in them.

Katbird likes this.
  12. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  13. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    No one is bashing the actors. Criticism of a performance is not bashing. If you notice bashing, report the post.

hewontgo likes this.
  14. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  15. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That was a bad word to use. Sorry

16. blackjack

blackjack Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:

I love villains and will almost always favour them over the heroes. What makes me favour Negan over any other, is above all else, that sense of humor. The guy's funny and very strange. He's different from any other character I've ever experienced. Almost everything he does is a power/dominance play, even the funny and weird shit. He's always in control of everything. I just love how much he enjoys every act of cruelty and every sick torment he dishes out. He fits the very definition of sadist. He's the perfect bad guy.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  17. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That is what I like too. When he was on the porch and ask the guy if he want to come over and BBQ it was so funny. I love that funny side.

blackjack likes this.
  18. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  19. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  20. Tisha Grimes