1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Blondes: The fuel that keeps the grease fire burning

Discussion in '6x14: Twice as Far' started by Doctor Grimes, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Can we talk about Daryl Dixon for a moment?

Why is it that the writers seem incapable of providing this character an arc that doesn't involved the horrible death of a blonde, female character?

First, Daryl's primary driving force for most of season two was him becoming incredibly emotionally invested in the search for Sophia. It was how he worked his way into the group. Then we saw him become bristly again when Sophia was discovered dead -- and the show focused more on his reaction to Sophia's death than her own mother (Carol).

Second, Daryl's primary driving force for most of seasons 4-5 was keeping Beth safe (saving her from her captors) and then withdrawing from people in the wake of her death. Hell, we saw Daryl grieve for Beth more than Beth's own sister.

And now? Denise. The plucky doctor who was summarily executed with a bolt through the eye from Daryl's own crossbow. Daryl's hellbent on avenging Denise's death -- and, in all likelihood, we won't even see Tara's reaction until next season.

What the hell, show?

It has relegated female characters as a sort of wooden fuel that can be disposed to keep the grease fire that is Daryl Dixon burning.

Can this please end?

CrownRoyale, Dobbying, yuna and 2 others like this.
  2. Truthfully it's love

Truthfully it's love Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I was always so confused why Daryl's man pain was highlighter more than Maggie's & Carol's... It makes no sense and is very questionable if these past character's purpose where to only capture his man tears..

yuna, Ship Verse and Doctor Grimes like this.
  3. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't know why they need other character's tragedies to define him. When Merle died, the show exclusively focused on Daryl and for good reason. I would not expect any other character to overshadow that moment of grief. But somehow when Sophia/Beth/Denise get caught in Daryl's orbit, it becomes about his pain.

Not only is his tears primarily fueled by death of women, but he seems to also steal the grieving spotlight from them too.

4. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think the fact that TWD likes parallels so much ain't helping. Sometimes parallels are nifty and other times it's just repetitive writing at best. When Daryl walked out of the hospital with Beth, Kirkman said it was a call back to the barn scene. And there's no way they can convince me that Denise's arrow through the head wasn't a parallel to Beth's quicky gunshot. I suppose if the visuals were the only thing those scenes had in common I'd be good.

It's never gonna end though. Eventually someone important might die in Daryl's life that isn't blonde or female. But he's a character whose only purpose is to mourn, sort of recover, then mourn again. It amazes me that the other characters can do that but also get other stories too. I'm starting to think Gimps actually wants Daryl dead - I've never seen the man get animated when he speaks about the character. Hell, I'm not sure I've ever seen him speak about the character at all. But since AMC owns TWD and they're the ones responsible for pushing the Daryl Dixon lip balms and panties, it's obvious they have an affection for him and I doubt they'd let Gimple kill him. Daryl is their cash cow when it comes to merchandise and Carol is their Emmy bait. While I think they're seriously overlooking the potential of others, I don't see it changing.

Gimple gets a lot of shit wrong, but he does usually give people other stuff and thangs to do. A part of me thinks he hates writing Daryl so he just half asses it. I hope anyway.

5. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    In the case of Sophia, thankfully we did see Carol grieve and continue to see her grieve up until today, so I won't be too mad at that. Also the Daryl/Sophia/Carol dynamic was good writing and very interesting. It sets up the basis for the Caryl dynamic moving forward so I see why it had it's purpose.

Beth and Daryl was tragic writing but once again I get the purpose (even if I hated it and found it completely unnecessary). Gimple loves his themes every half season and the theme for 4B was the effects the children and teens had on the adults. We had Carl with Rick & Michonne, Judith, Lizzie & Mika with Tyrese and Carol and finally Beth with Daryl. This plot was supposed to mirror the Sophia/Daryl plot, but in typical Gimple fashion it couldn't live up to the original. Also unlike the original, in this case Maggie's grieving process was almost ignored. I say almost because she did get some time although not nearly enough.

The one that makes absolutely no damn sense to me is Denise and Daryl. Why? Just why? What was the purpose here? Why did we need this forced connection. This version of a blonde dying for Daryl's man pain is the truest to the statement. Denise had no other reason to die but for Daryl's man pain. Over here we also have the complete erasure of the female (Tara's) grieving. Tara goes on a very convenient two week run so that this time ALL the spotlight will be on Daryl.

This seems to be a reoccurring theme on this show and each time it gets worse and worse.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  6. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    To cater to little fan girls who dream of a Daryl Dixon going emo over them. We are not meant to understand it, that's for the Twilight part of the fanbase (no shade to anyone who likes Twilight)

[​IMG][​IMG]

yuna, SickofShadows and Doctor Grimes like this.
  7. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's such a super easy trope to continue to play over and over again. The bad boy with the heart of gold cares about a girl and then she's ripped from his clutches. He's sad or has to avenge her death. Everyone cries. Everyone pities him., "Oh poor thing he didn't deserve that." Everyone continues to love him. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

[​IMG]

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  8. JBody

JBody Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    You know, I'm a Darabont fan, but when I read things like, "original showrunner Frank Darabont wrote the role of Daryl just for Norman," I think why Frank, WHY?
    http://1337wiki.com/daryl-dixon-robert-kirkmans-favorite-element-of-tv-show/

But in all seriousness, Darabont suggested to Reedus that Derle is prison gay and Reedus was totally down for that.

"GQ: I do like the extremity of him perhaps being a virgin.
    Reedus: Yeah, totally. You know, a virgin is interesting. I remember Frank Darabont, after the first season we were at a party in L.A. He said, 'I've got an idea for Daryl. He's gay. Would you be interested in that?' I was like, 'Let me hear you out.' He said, 'Well, he's prison gay-like, you'll catch him looking at a member of the same sex, but if you mention it to him, he'll just stab you and be like what the f*ck? He will never admit it.' I was like, 'That'll blow minds. Let's do that.' And he said, 'I knew I hired you for a reason.' "

GQ: And then they fired him.
    Reedus: Had nothing to do with that. But I like playing all these different things. Daryl's not the type of guy who's gonna throw somebody up against a tree in the moonlight. I don't see him as having that kind of confidence. You could drop him off in the middle of the woods with a stick and he'll come back well fed and doing well, but I don't think in matters of the heart he's real secure."

That's the vision Darabont had and it makes sense to me. But we all know what happened....

So this Darabont creation has been on the same spin cycle arc (props to the lovelies here who came up with that one) for seasons now. But why are blondes the fuel for his grease fire (perfect imagery Doc). Remember Beth, the Blonde Beacon of Hope? Well, I think all these blondes are metaphors for that. Not too profound eh? But at least it's better than FTWD (which suffers from too much Kirkman).

Lilly965 and Doctor Grimes like this.
  9. JBody

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Damn wasn't finished. Anyway MAYBE all these Blonde Beacons of Hope are also convenient smoke screens to obscure Derle's closeted condition. No? Well I don't know but I think since Darabont left --ok, I will concede Mazzara did all right by him-- since Gimple took over Daryl has had nothing to do. I think Gimple finds it a pain in the ass to deal with Derle in the overall story and would be happy to bump him off but TPTB won't let that happen. Dixon Bros. are now owned outright by AMC I believe and they will retain all revenue and rights on them forever -- maybe on the very last episode ever Derle will ride off into the sunset like Reedus wanted. I dunno but I'm sure we'll all be disappointed.

10. JBody

Patron

Walker Pets:
    YES. Exactly this.

11. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Wow, that was quite the read. Darabont sounds like he had interesting plans for Daryl, which makes sense. Daryl was Darabont's baby, and Mazzara did ok raising him. I wish Gimple was allowed to slash him, leave him in a corner, or hand him over to more capable hands.

JBody likes this.
  12. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This has been my belief for quite a while now. I think that's why Daryl is stuck in the spin-cycle because Gimple doesn't want to deal with him but has no other choice. He probably isn't allowed to only let him show up once a season :lol: so instead he's gifted him the same shit "storyline" twice now in different blonde packaging. I also assume Gimple isn't allowed to completely tarnish the cash cow, so again, he keeps repeating the same "Oh poor Daryl" emo trope because the fangirls eat it up(which equals $$$$ for AMC).

JBody, yuna and Doctor Grimes like this.
  13. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Daryl... how do I say this nicely... um... uh... Daryl is just so... I can't. I don't have the words.

I had thoughts but it will turn into a full on Daryl rage session so I'll just say Daryl has to do something Merle-esque for me to even care about him again. He has to go away for a while. He is the stain you can't get out of a white blouse. He's so...

my head hurts.

Clutterbuck and JBody like this.