1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta But It Wasn't In The Script Tho: Richonne Off-The-Cuff

Discussion in 'The Richonne Zone' started by SweetDee85, Dec 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    We know AL and DG BRING it when it comes to their scenes together. They know their characters inside and out. Their nuances. Their ticks. And because of this, it would seem to me that they add things to their scenes that's not in the scripts because they know their characters so well. I don't know. It's just something about their scenes that I feel like they bring a little extra to. Some of their scenes, I've thought to myself, "Wow THAT couldn't have been a part of the script..."

So.....I'll start it off.

[​IMG]

This look right here one for the ages. Come through Rick with this ICONIC look. Here you have this battered man on the mend, getting back on his feet. This woman has found them again and is supporting him in every way she can. As soon as she leaves, he pointedly watches her walk away [it's sexy ass hell the way he is watching her too.] I have a hard time believing this was look called on in the script. This was all AL knowing his character Rick to a T and what he would do in this situation. Sure the script could have said:

*Rick stares at Michonne's ass for way too long as she walks away* :lol:

But nah, I don't think so. This pointed look was intentional. This wasn't a 'light' gesture; it was
    heavy. It spoke volumes and it was all the confirmation I needed to know what Rick was thinking/feeling in that moment. He wanted that woman.

What are some scenes/gestures/looks where you felt that it was ad-libbed or wasn't a part of the script?

2. Noshiko

Noshiko Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    I don't Knox about this but on 6x10, when they kissed on the couch, I wonder if the moment where Rick stopped to take his gun off was in the script... I don't know it seemed so natural to me, but at the same time like it wasn't scripted.

I think I need all the script since season 1 and more specifically since season 3 to see how much Andy and Danai contribute the slow development of richonne even when a lot of people couldn't see it. I believe the two of them made a lot of acting choice like eye contact flirting while it wasn't asked.

PLEASE I NEED TO KNOW T_TT_T,

3. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Excellent thread idea. I believe so much nuance has been added by AL and DG. At times I think the script direction was super sparse and they interpreted it to do the most and at other times they added it in on their own.

One of my best friends is a director (we are now business partners and I am learning so much from him) and he said some of the best performances are when what is scripted is minimal but the actors know the background of the characters so well that it just works. He also said with the right actors lots of rehearsal isn't needed and can actually be better. We watched a movie recently and it was all improv from the actors after spending a year separately just working on the character backgrounds. They were just given scenarios without knowing what others did and the end result was brilliant.

I think AL and DG just get Richonne so well as a couple, but also their individual characters, that it just harmonizes so well and they know what to do based on instinct as well as intellectually.

#3 lovingdead, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  4. epiath

epiath Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Well, of course, I question the look down he gave after saying "it must have been something else, then". The one that Reedus called Andy out on. Lol. I need to rewatch that Talking Dead ep.

5. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    No way you could script this:

[​IMG]

6. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well this may very well be my favorite new thread! Thank you @SweetDee85

It's canon that GN told Danai to tone down the flirtatiousness of this scene but she pushed back:

[​IMG]

Do NOT mess with the expert Nicotero!!

I'm POSITIVE that Michonne's little up and down gaze was unscripted and DG snuck that baby in:

[​IMG]

And while the bullet placing was likely scripted, right after this moment, Rick smiles slightly. I'd bet that Andy improvised that one.

[​IMG]

I truly think DG and AL need to be given co- creator credit for this ship. So many of the small moments were most likely their ideas!

7. Gekari

Gekari Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Seriously guys, where do we find TWD scripts?

For example, I would like to know if it's written for the Richonne Cell Scene in 7x08 "Rick presses Michonne against himself so tight the viewers will think she'll break" :lol:

Jokes apart, I really want to know where do I find scripts... :shane:

#7 Gekari, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  8. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    One more and then I have to work!

[​IMG]
    What was most likely scripted was...Rick is happy at Michonne and Carl's exchange. That extra long gaze towards Michonne? Mmmmmm....I see you Andy...I see you....

9. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    This is like a shipping treasure hunt.

10. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm positive that the adorable awkwardness of Rick removing his belt, muttering under his breath and Michonne giggling was all unscripted. Danai shared that they didn't rehearse the scene and I think they were going for a very natural portrayal of this couple going canon.

And they knocked it out of the park.

11. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I agree. I think the gun belt actually was annoying AL and he decided to just make it part of the scene. I feel like Michonne's giggling was DG going with her own tickled response to his moves and making it work for the moment. It gave it a teenager-like freshness. I'm glad it wasn't all serious once they started kissing. It added some playful wonderment to an intense and iconic moment.

12. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:

http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6455

These are just transcripts not the script with directions etc

13. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I have to say, knowing that AL and DG making the scripted material always work kind of makes me biased when I see others not deliver. I often see other cast performances being excused because of the script, but honestly if you bring your A-game like these two you can spin gold out of anything. I get that different actors are at different places in their development but you need to work with what tools you have and know your strengths and weaknesses. I look at Chandler, who is still a baby actor and has room for improvement, but I never feel like he is letting the material down. Hopefully, he is learning from these two huge talents.

14. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is the BEST THREAD EVER. I believe that most of the things we love about the build up to Richonne was the actors being amazing and doing it all themselves with their choices. For instance, that hand graze in What Happened and What's Going On can NOT be in the script. Its so short and fleeting. And the focus is entirely not on them. Andy had to have added it in. Reading the script for the episode and knowing that Rick is going to pivot towards going to Washington, DC in the end of it, Andy had to think about laying some ground work down...showing that Rick is concerned about Michonne and he notices she is slowly starting to crack at the prospective of not finding another home. That was an ad-lib probably thrown into one of the takes and they kept it in. Gimple wrote that episode, right? I could imagine Andy talking to Gimple about Rick's train of thought for this episode and using that to steer his acting choices.

The first scene mentioned, the look in Claimed, everyone is of the mindset that it was about checking Michonne's body out but I don't think that was the case. It was about how Michonne has a lasting affect on Rick. He thinks about what she says and really mulls it over. And she just told him that she isn't taking breaks, that she plans to be there for his son (and him). If someone is really important to me and I hang on every word they say, my gaze will definitely follow them out of a room. I am drawn to them. It doesn't have to be because I want to see dat ass. LOL. Its just...I am caught up in there aura. That is what I think was happening there. That being said, it could have also been about the ass. Which brings me to my next point....

The 6x10 nude tableau scene wasn't really scripted either. Totally different actions in the script. Only thing that was probably written was that they were nude in bed together. Andy and Danai deciding where to put all their limbs choosing to put that hand on her ass which shows possessiveness but at the same time lends credence to all the wandering looks Rick has has been giving Michonne's perfect posterior for seasons...

These actors are amazing!

Also, Andy doesn't watch the show. Its kind of crazy when you think about it. He doesn't know which takes were chosen if they do a scene multiple times. Wow. He just has to feel this character out completely and be committed to every acting decision he makes. I'm in awe.

15. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Actually AL said a doctoral thesis could be made about that scene and the hours of conversation with the EP's that went with it. Also it was used to juxtapose 7.5 with them in bed.

TVLINE | How much time and attention went into the placement of their arms and legs during that opening morning-after shot?
    A very good deal, and I appreciate you asking. There were a lot of conversations with [episode director] Kari Skogland [and episode writers] Angela Kang and Corey Reed. We wanted that tableau, in many ways, to represent their relationship — the balance of it, who they are to one another.

Full interview

16. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    This thread is the stuff fanfic dreams are made of
    [​IMG]

17. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I got this, but I mostly mean none of this is written.
    Its basically people sitting and saying "so...how are we gonna do this."
    And Andy saying, "...well Rick would probably do this."
    And then the directors saying, "oh you can do that this is about as much as we can show on TV."
    And then Danai saying, "but that wouldn't be realistic."

That is what I got from how he described it as a doctoral thesis. Especially when you take into consideration that the script called for Danai to cover herself up when Jesus came in rather than having her get up with her weapon in hand in the nude.

18. RixChix

RixChix Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I think a lot of the eye flucking is AL all the way and not the script. As someone else noted up-thread, why else would Reedus call him out on TTD and then say "Andy is going to kill me!" when he said it? It's because AL knows that Rick has a thing for Michonne, and he is giving the viewer a peak into that. Literally I was one of the folks who was kinda caught off guard by 6X10...i just was so oblivious. But my husband was like finally! So I'm like how did you see that coming? He's like dude is eye-flucking her every chance he gets, men only do that to women they like and find attractive, and they don't really care if they are busted because they want you to see it too. So when i do my marathons or re-watch certain episodes prior to 6x10, i see what he's talking about. Even at the fence when Michonne first shows up, my husband said he looked at her like this beautiful lady can't be real...it's gotta be all AL!

19. epiath

epiath Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    [​IMG]

20. epiath

epiath Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    You describe very well that which I was thinking when I had first read the article. I was like "so, I they were lying there naked and every few seconds the position had to be altered...yeup, I can dig it! 'Sweet Christmas!"' What a Dandy time they had!!!!!!