1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Carl's Love Life

Discussion in 'Carl / Chandler Riggs' started by Lyra_Nation, Feb 1, 2016.

Tags:
?

What do you want to see in regards to Carl's love life?

1. Finding love with Enid

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Finding love with someone new in the future

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  3. Just stay single

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Let's talk about Carl's love life here. Are you rooting for him to have one? Would you prefer it if he didn't? Do you wish Sophia was still alive?

I know where I stand. I'd rather Carl just not have a love life during the run of the show. If Sophia were still alive, sure. Their puppy love could have been cute. But man...I am not digging Enid at all. And I'm not interested in seeing any kind of teenage angsty romance.

Also, another question. Do you think they would have gone somewhere with the Carl/Beth crush if EK was actually in her teens and not a 30-something year old woman? It always seemed a little weird to me that they just started that and then dropped it. I have to imagine it's because there was too much of a gap in their real-life ages so writers or whoever worried about it being a little too weird. With good reason. I think if EK had been a teenager, they would have played with it a little more.

Wait. Should this go in the relationships forum? I don't know. Mod it if need be.

2. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's fine in this forum since it's about Carl and not a particular ship.

I would rather Carl stay single as I am not fond of Enid (though she may grow on me) and the whole Carl relationship angle in the comics is... disturbing. To say the least.

So. No. Nope. Get him to a nunnery.

Lyra_Nation likes this.
  3. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I voted finding love with someone new in the future. Enid is beyond irritating, plus with all the Ron drama I don't really want to see this happen. However, it would seem unrealistic to me if Carl never attempted having a relationship after all this time, so I'm open to seeing him with someone else in the future.

4. Leannan

Leannan Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    good Question!
    Carl and Sophia would have been so cute.
    I think the love thing with Carl would help is character development, he's a teenager living in the Za so he has to have something.
    Maybe they could redeem Enid for me 6B, but I hope if Carl gets a love life it's with someone...more interesting (Was that harsh?)
    As far as Beth I wondered that too, I think if Beth was younger that would have been something they would have explored.

I just dont want to see the PDA, I want Carl to have a love life, but please don't shove it down my throat.

Lyra_Nation likes this.
  5. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Thinking about Carl in a relationship skeeves me out because I still have him in the "kid" category in my brain. I heard recently in the comics
    Andrea walks in on him fooling around with a girl
    and my brain just went "NOPE, NOPE, NOPE." Enid is such a non-factor to me, every time I see her on screen I'm like "...why?" So, yeah; stay in the house and read some comic books, Carl.

Lyra_Nation likes this.
  6. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Oh man! Y'all are rough on poor Enid!

I actually don't mind her character too much. Her backstory is very traumatic and she's got a lot of baggage she's carrying inside of her, similar to Carl. I wouldn't mind if they continued as friends.

But my baby boy Carl developing a romantic relationship in the near future?
    [​IMG]

Not on my watch. Nope....no way......

birdnmouse, Leannan and Bazooka Jane like this.
  7. MidnightRose76

MidnightRose76 Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    I kind of like Enid. I wouldn't mind her and Carl having a relationship in the future. Just not "too adult too fast". He's still a kid.

8. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    How old is Carl supposed to be right now? I'm thinking 16. So yeah, I want him to have a romance. I want him to fall for someone. I know it's the ZA and all, but there should be some part of his life that is recognizable. I mean he can't go to the prom or the homecoming game but, at least, he can have a girl friend, preferably one that speaks and never ate turtles.

Officer Grimes likes this.
  9. Allie Grimes

Allie Grimes Hiding in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    My thoughts exactly. Although, I don't mind Enid's character and I actually find her to be interesting at times.

10. cupsofmarmalade

cupsofmarmalade Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    For the love of all good and holy things in this world NOT ENID. I would rather he stay single and if they feel the need to give him a girlfriend, then I don’t want to see her on my screen--it can just be one of those infer but don’t show things (they shouldn’t have much trouble in that department lol).

The first reason is that Carl=kid, in my head, and I want it to stay that way for as long as possible. The second is that the comic material for this is not something I’d ever want them to adapt, the Carl/Enid/Ron fiasco pulled from too many soap operas---and that final confrontation between Ron and Carl was very anticlimactic imo, so I didn’t even feel like I got any payoff in terms of entertainment value for watching it (from a purely viewer perspective without taking my love of the show into consideration).

The third is that I just don’t think it’s necessary and I’m almost 100 percent certain that I’ll either hate or will be completely indifferent to any new character they bring for the purpose of being Carl’s SO (I’ll view them as a redshirt that unfortunately doesn’t die), which is one of my issues with Enid--I just don’t have any patience for her when every second of listening to her whine is screen time and development taken away from more interesting characters and elements of the show. Had she been written as more than just a girl who lost her parents in a horrible way--which let’s face it, it’s the ZA and we’re six seasons in--and has a penchant for whining, so that there was an actually reason for her being in the story other than whining and trying to make the viewers care about her, then maybe. Had she been there since season one or two, then I’d probably (most likely definitely) be more sympathetic, but the cast isn’t getting any smaller so...

In terms of Beth, I was okay with the crush because the writers didn’t dwell on it, and kids/teens have crushes (which can last two seconds and go away) so it’s fine. Had EK been younger than they could have possibly done something more with them, but for me it comes down to would I have been entertained as a viewer and would it have added anything more to the story? I didn’t hate Beth, but I sure as hell didn’t tune in to watch her either. So if they could have given Beth and Carl an interesting story line whilst keeping to the fact that they were kids--kind of like how Lizzie and Mika both brought something interesting and entertaining while keeping to the fact that they were kids, then yes. If not, then no.

Lyra_Nation likes this.
  11. Misty Knight

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I rather he stay single, but I'll also take Enid over

LYDIA!!! Ugh, I hope she never gets introduce on the show

birdnmouse likes this.
  12. Parabox

Parabox Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    I went straight to "just stay single" why?

1. He's a child
    2. Rick and Michonne do not need to be early grandparents
    3. Ew. Enid. Just no!

4. This!!
    image.jpeg
    . Nope!!!!!

Lyra_Nation likes this.
  13. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    That comic book page. [​IMG]

I hope Sophia rejects him in the comic whenever whatever this is with Lydia falls through. Ugh.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  14. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Lydia is disgusting, but then so is Comic Carl. Sophia deserves better.

Lyra_Nation and Doctor Grimes like this.
  15. Butler36

Butler36 What?

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I really do think this is either going to lead to
    Lydia getting pregnant or Lydia dying in the struggle against the Whisperers and Carl's first dose of man pain. Or maybe the combo of the two but I don't think she's going to be long for this world.

But yeah, I hope TV Carl's trajectory is a little more different. At least he'll be somewhat of age by the time this stuff goes down.

16. Parabox

Parabox Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    Omfg. I want to kick Kirkman in the junk.

Armte likes this.
  17. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    No no no. He's a kid. Granted he's older than Comic!Carl but still. Those panels in the comics made me run for the nearest bottle of bleach when I read them.

18. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I do want Carl to experience love! ...but not with Enid.

I would love to see Carl navigate this new world and dealing with his hormones. I mean why not? He'll be getting older and I have no desire to see him morph into a Daryl. I think it would be great to see Chandler flirt. I'd like him to find a nice girl, a survivor, and date maybe, breakup (not by death) and just experience normal things for once. I'm here for it.
    Just not with Enid because she got a bona-fide attitude warranted or not don't care.

19. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Let me add, I don't wanna see Carl impregnate a kid or anything like that.

20. Butler36

Butler36 What?

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The only thing that makes me think that it will be with Enid is
    the fact that Gimple seemed keen on their relationship during the New York panel and actively called her his girlfriend and that we will see different aspects of Carl through her eyes.

So I'm prepared for Enid being a fixture.