1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Carol

Discussion in '7x08: Hearts Still Beating' started by tuswig, Dec 13, 2016.

1. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    My takeaway from this episode about Carol, she wants to reap the benefits of a community (housing, food) without actually having to contribute to a community. This is NOT a person who really wants to be alone, she just wants to be apart of a community on HER own terms. Morgan left food at her doorstep and was walking away when she chose to call him back over, like he was the one who was inconviencing her. I'm so over everyone bending over backwards to cater to her.

#1 tuswig, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    You so right i was thinking the same.

3. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Carol was NEVER one of my faves. I side-eyed her when she knew Ed was a pedophile who was eyeing their daughter. THEN she wanted to blame Rick for Sophia's disappearance and didn't even help look for her.

And then BOOM, she was suddenly going behind Rick's back at the prison, and the sneaking around never stopped.

My personal issue with Carol (the fact that the writers keep making every Black man in the apocalypse cater to her every single need) has nothing to do with her but with the writing choices, and I struggle to separate that between her and what the writing has done to her.

With that said... this whole "Rambo Carol" vs. "I don't wanna kill anymore" Carol is without a doubt one of the most annoying arcs on this show. I am so sick of her rudeness, her attitude, her saltiness, her pettiness, and her selfishness, and the way she is to CONSTANTLY be praised and sought after. "She's a force of nature" and Rick explaining to Morgan that he agreed with Carol's actions in the prison was my last and final straw (up until she treated King Zeke with so much contempt. How can ANYONE with eyes treat someone like Zeke like that lol).

But catering to her is what these people do best on this show, and I'm TRYING to let it go.

#3 idcabtthisish, Dec 13, 2016
  4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    Yeah I'm not liking this isolationist Carol. It's frustrating because she's forcing herself to be something she's not. It just seems ooc to me and doesn't make sense from what we've seen of Carol in the past. She can still be apart of a community without killing, and the Kingdom seems like the perfect place for her to be. She could've even stayed at Alexandria, not everyone there is a fighter so it's not like she would be out of place. I don't know it just seems like Carol is an addict or something. If she's around people then she's compelled to kill and has no control over it. But we know that she doesn't want to be alone because she called Morgan over so it's just odd to me. I'm hoping once she hears about what's been happening she'll want to be involved in the planning at least. She doesn't have to be on the battlefield, she can help with the strategic side of things. :denise:

mellowalkerstalker likes this.
  5. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Apparently if fans call Carol a queen enough times she starts to believe it herself. I'm really trying to understand who she thinks she is is to be bossing around everyone the way she does. Even worse, why does anyone listen to her. The line from Morgan about her being the most capable fighter in the room was some more Rambo Carol nonesense. She's not the most capable fighter in that room. Morgan is. But this wouldn't be the first time this show has weakened a black man so their Queen could shine. Hopefully Morgan and Ezekiel don't suffer the same fate as TDogg and Tyrese.

6. Vivis

Vivis Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    What really annoys me is that she wants to be left alone but she still gets supplies because people around her care for her and all she does is being rude to them. On the other hand, Morgan and Ezekiel do this because they care about her and I don't think she ever asked for their help anyway. I wonder if she's capable to survive by herself long periods because right know what she's doing is living inside of her own bubble. As it has been mentioned the writing choices for Carol were not the best one at all.

Michroolz likes this.
  7. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Agreed with all of this .
    [​IMG]

8. Walkingonsunshine

Walkingonsunshine The Ones Who Live
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If she really wants to be left alone then why not just leave it makes no sense at all and I wish we got to see Zeke last episode instead of more of the same from carol

9. richonneromance

richonneromance Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    There really was no logical to her calling Morgan over unless he's right about her softening.

Asking Morgan to lie and say to the others that she's dead was crossing a damn line.

10. idcabtthisish

Walker Pets:
    I snorted/groaned so hard at that line. Carol's the most capable fighter? HOW? She doenst fight. She blows things up. She kills sick people. She's nevrer gone through anything other than Sophia. She wasnt there in Terminus. She blew the place up w/o even knowing Rick and them had gotten out- all TFs hardwork was over shadowed by Carol randomly blowing up Terminus. She fought the Wolves under disguise. Woopty doo. She wasnt in the lineup for Negan but everyone expects her to fix everything.

And swear to God if they have her "save" TF without going through ANY turmoil in regards to Negan I will be so effing pissed.

11. Cherish

Cherish Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Im really over this character.I felt the same way OP.

12. idcabtthisish

Walker Pets:
    OT: OMFG WHAT is this gif ur using of my Married Bae Trai Byers? Is this from Empire?

13. Cherish

Cherish Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Yes.Empire episode 3x04.

idcabtthisish likes this.
  14. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    They certainly don't make it easy to appreciate Carol these days. My two cents:

Carol was determined to leave society in 6x15 due to her guilt over killing so many people, 28, I believe? I think Sam's death pushed her over the edge and she basically said 'f*ck it' to life in general. She wasn't completely suicidal, as indicated by her defending herself against the saviors on the road (and adding to her victim list) but it appeared to me that she had pretty much given up when Morgan found her.

Carol has many many faults and I know some of them are unforgivable, unpalatable, or simply plain annoying. I look at her as a woman who has been severely traumatized (as have all of our characters) and is now dealing with the fallout of that trauma by shutting herself off. Is it selfish? Perhaps. I see it as Carol doing what she needs to do to deal with what she's done.

Fast forward to the magic of The Kingdom. The Kingdom was a jolt to Carol, something that snapped her out of deep depression because it was just....so....odd....perhaps even appealing. Ezekial had a clear impact on her as he saw through her bullshit and he touched something in her, perhaps awakened a small nugget of life left in her heart.

Carol still left to be alone but she didn't go far. She's still close enough to The Kingdom to have choices. And, no, she didn't pack up and head out when Zeke visited and gave her supplies. And, yes, she called Morgan back to see how he was doing.

My interpretation is that Carol is someone who is still deeply conflicted, still grieving, still depressed but perhaps, just maybe, taking baby steps towards the living again.

Having said that, the writing, and the lack of balance in the storytelling, makes this all really tough to see or appreciate!!

15. idcabtthisish

Walker Pets:
    Dont watch the show but him and Grace are like the modern Boris Kodjoe and Nicole Ari Parker. Hes perfect. They're perfect. Beaitiful gif.

Back to ur regularly scheduled programming.

16. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I wasn't too fond of Carol's attitude this episode either. I understand she's going through some psychological recovery, but this arc is just dragging so hard. Not only that, but the downplaying of Morgan in Carol's company (re: his fighting skills) was unnecessary.

Carol asking Morgan to tell the others he never found her is just... I don't know what to think. It's just low.

17. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't believe there's any evidence that Ed was sexually abusing/raping Sophia or that Carol didn't do what was within her power at the time to defend her daughter. The comment she made in "What Lies Ahead" made me think that Carol was aware the potential for Ed to sexually abuse Sophia was beginning, but hadn't happened yet. Either way, I don't blame Carol too much for her behavior while trapped in that situation. Some victims of domestic violence feel absolutely helpless and are unable to defend themselves and feel they can't defend their children either. They're afraid if they try to leave/intervene the punishment will be more severe (or even lethal).

18. idcabtthisish

Walker Pets:
    You're saying the same thing I said. I dont think Sophia was already abused at all. I do think Carol was aware that it could happen. I only said I was side-eyeing her, not that I blamed her. That was just my first eyebrow raise against Carol.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  19. QueenofPeace

QueenofPeace Guts.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I abhor Carol the way some here abhor Daryl LOL. I find her extremely insufferable, and have for a very long time now. It started in season 4 for me, though I never cared for her prior to then either (she can sob and whine about her missing daughter yet not do anything to help find her??). Anyway, perhaps the biggest issue I have with Carol is how extremely condescending she is. To everyone. All the time. It's nonstop. She talks down to people as if she's some all-knowing genius and everybody else is stupid. Just look at how she was talking to Morgan in HSB. Yeah, Carol doesn't want to be around anyone, but I find it implausible that realistically anyone would even want to be around her with that GIANT attitude.

I also find her to be incredibly selfish. I've been saying this for a very long time, but this season 7 arc for her has only proven my point. Carol is the type of person with complete tunnel vision, and refuses to see other sides/compromise/etc. She says and does things that are completely in line with what SHE and ONLY SHE wants. You cannot operate with friends and families being constantly selfish and dismissive of others, which is how I interpret Carol. Maybe it's for the best she leaves Rick and the group alone because she's completely selfish, cruel, and only thinking of herself. Telling Morgan to tell TF she's dead or gone? Knowing they are likely suffering under the thumb of Saviors (per Richard's speech)? It's beyond eff'd up. TF is too good for her as far as I'm concerned.

People like to tout around the fact that Carol is supposedly soooooo strong, but I'm sorry....I just don't see it. I find her to be pretty weak emotionally and mentally. Perhaps one of the weakest of TF. Her supposed tough and stoic persona is a huge facade. She's still pretty much a bird, just like Paula told her in TSB.

And she's not really a capable fighter either no matter how many unrealistic Rambo sequences the writers want to give her. The line in HSB about her supposedly being "the most capable fighter" was so cringeworthy and forced. Carol cannot fight lol. She is clever in dire situations I give her that, but she's not a skilled fighter in any way shape or form, and to imply she's a better fighter than Morgan is ridiculously insulting.

Don't get me started on this lunatics psychotic ways with children, and how I wouldn't allow her within ten feet of Judith or any other child.

For me as someone who dislikes Carol greatly, the worst part of it all is that she is the favorite character of the writers/TPTB. So we constantly are subjected to all of this Carol is great, Carol is the best fighter, Carol is a force of nature, Carol was right to secretly kill K &D (repeated multiple times), Carol is so awesome and so wonderful and just sooooo amazing that Ezekiel and Morgan are enamored with her, and need to constantly kiss her ass and beg and plead for her to change her mind on living alone. It's such a crock of you-know-what.

#19 QueenofPeace, Dec 13, 2016
  20. idcabtthisish

Walker Pets:
    Oh. My. God. YES.

The condescending attitude... I WILL NEVER FORGET 6x12 when she bitched at Rick for "allowing" Maggie to come as if Rick was Maggie's father. I was so effing irritated that episode. And then the way she talked to Maggie.... Like you were barely a mother to your own child, please don't come for Maggie, and stop talking to Rick like he's your whipping boy. I mean I nearly threw up. She is such a know-it-all and it drives me effing crazy and I damn near wept after reading this post. And there's nothing worse than having all this praise be for a character you know damn well is only talked up because Gimple and co are obsessed w/ her. Negan is Kirkman's fav, Carol is Gimple's fav, and Daryl is AMC's fav. What in the actual hell is happening. SO WHO TF IS LOOKING OUT FOR RICK?

TWO OOC lines on this show BOTH happened to/about Carol: Rick, calling her a force of nature, where I STILL gag, and Morgan, saying she's the most capable fighter. How Sway?