1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Casting The Dead - Let's Talk!

Discussion in 'Characters & Cast' started by MamaGrimes, Jun 8, 2016.

1. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    One of the reasons I was compelled to continue watching TWD after the premiere was Andy's heartbreaking portrayal of Rick Grimes. He captivated me with this line:

[​IMG]
    and I've never looked back.

I thought it would be interesting to have a discussion about the casting choices for the characters, alive and dead, major and minor, canon and original.

• Which casting choices knocked it out of the park and which were terrible fits and WHY?
    • This would be the right thread to discuss British actors portraying characters from the American south!
    • Which actors created fully fleshed characters of their own with no GN source material to draw from?
    • Which actors improved their GN counterpart or ruined them in your opinion?
    • Were there any surprises where you thought the actor would be completely wrong for the character and then you grew to like or love them?
    • Note: Please keep in mind that there are characters we hate and storylines we hate (:orly:) but this thread is to discuss the casting choice, not the writing of the characters themselves. However, if you feel the character would have been more palatable if played by another actor, let's hear about it

You don't have to stick with these questions. I just listed them to get us started. But please come with reasons as that will make the thread more interesting to participate in!

Please DO NOT turn this into actor bashing. Please limit criticism to their ability to portray their character in a way that entertains or doesn't entertain you. This thread is not to discuss lifestyle choices, their looks (beyond what you deem appropriate for the character) or anything that creeps into personal attacks. We have private groups for that stuff if needed.

I'll get us started:

Andrew Lincoln: The MVP of the show as the story is Rick Grimes' and it's Andy's portrayal of a very human, flawed man that is the heart of this show. He gives 110%, is the cast's cheerleader and team captain and is beloved by everyone involved in the show. He IS Rick Grimes and I couldn't conceive of another actor playing my favorite character.

Danai Gurira: Gravitas, intelligence, heart, elegant physicality and charisma to spare, Danai's portrayal of Michonne has allowed this character's storyline to go in a completely different direction from her GN counterpart. Danai is a brilliant actor who is also a brilliant writer and that allows her to deep dive into what makes Michonne tick and what motivates her. I could listen to Danai talk about Michonne for hours, seriously. Like Andy, she truly loves and appreciates the character she embodies and it shines through.

Laurie Holden: When I binge watched seasons 1 & 2, Andrea was the most annoying character to me by far and I felt Laurie had zero chemistry with Andy in the few scenes they had together. Once I learned more about the GN storyline and the fact that Andrea and Rick were supposed to be a couple, I was horrified. The actress was too old and had too many sassy, 'look at me, I am woman hear me roar' acting crutches that I found off putting Thank goodness they didn't go down that path!

Let the discussion begin!

2. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I actually wouldn't mind if they ever did a reboot and cast new actors since their comic counterpart are so vastly different. That said, I probably wouldn't watch that because I enjoyed this version more and part of the reason is because of these actors.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  3. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Good idea, Mama!

Andrew Lincoln as Rick- for all the reasons you've stated, was the absolutely ONLY choice. Andy give this anti-hero the heart he needs. For all he's done and been through, lets make no mistake, Rick is a murderer. He has had his reasons, but at the end of the day he has done some deplorable things. He's batshit crazy sometimes. BUT I love him. I'd want him on my team, no doubt about it. I'd be his woman 8 days a week. WHY??? Andrew fucking Lincoln.

Melissa McBride as Carol- Admittedly, I don't really understand what is going on with her character right now (6B) but Melissa has done a beautiful job portraying this once weak and battered woman turned no-shits-left-to-give badass. Melissa gives cold Carol humanity. Whatever the showrunners demand of Carol, MMB delivers. She is convincing and even if her character is doing some weird stuff I don't understand, MMB almost has me convinced. (which is significant).

Lennie James as Morgan- I still remember watching "Clear" and being in awe of his interactions with AL. Their scene in his house, when he pleads with Rick to kill him. Heart wrenching. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. (And AL). He WAS Morgan, not an actor in that scene. I was in that room with them in that scene and nothing short of a natural disaster sweeping through my living room could have pulled my attention from him during those moments. I really hope we get some more compelling material in season 7 for Lennie. It's a crime to humanity if they don't let this man spread his wings before his time is up on TWD.

Danai Gurira as Michonne- (Saved my fave for last :)) What can I say? Danai has something about her. I can't explain it. Her ability to become this iconic figure and transform what is often laughable dialog into pure gold is a talent that cannot me learned. She has a God-given gift to captivate, on screen and off. I have never admired another actress like I do her. I could literally listen to her talk all day. I'd alternate between watching Michonne on TWD and watch interviews and listen to pod casts and feel like it was a day well-spent. She is magic. She is beauty, grace, intelligence and the embodiment of a call to action. She is incredible as a person and as Michonne. I often wonder if tptb would have taken Michonne's story the direction they had and placed her as Rick's SO if she hadn't been portrayed by Danai. I think Danai has inspired Michonne's path, as she is so incredibly capable, deep and emotional. Michonne may have started as a caricature, but she has evolved into a fully humanized, deep, emotional and complete woman AND warrior because of Danai. ugh. I love her too much, it's getting weird.

4. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I completely put my love for Rick on Andy. Honestly I think Rick could be nothing special on paper(which is how I view comic Rick); that in the wrong hands he could've ended up meaning a lot less to me. This isn't the first time I've thought this about a role of Andy's. Especially considering I still appreciate his acting even if I don't like the writing for Rick :lol: This man's ability to say so much without saying a word blows my mind. I've often found myself yelling "LOOK at him!" at my computer screen when people mischaracterize him or don't understand what's going on with him because he may not say it but it's all there in his face/eyes. Dude's a major light in my life. Now I'll shut up and stop being obvious....:rolleyes:

TV Michonne is leaps and bound above Comic Michonne to me and I think that the amount of heart that Danai brings to the role is one of the reasons why. And outside the show her eloquence astounds me, honestly.

I'm going to group Melissa McBride, Lennie James, and Scott Wilson together for a second because they all have a very easy and natural way of acting that I appreciate. John Carroll Lynch too, even though he was only around for one episode.

Casting Tovah Feldshuh was a big win to me. I can't really compare her to her comic counterpart for obvious reasons. I wasn't expecting to like Deanna and I very much did/do.

Jon Bernthal. I hate Shane. I mean HATE Shane, so kudos to him for being able to yank such a strong reaction out of me.

And Steve Ogg. I love Ogg!Savior. :lol:

Casting AB was a giant misstep. Her acting was often incredibly forced, she couldn't pull off being maternal, and she had absolutely NO chemistry with Andy. So why did they cast her? Bueller? That was rhetorical by the way as I'm quite sure I know why.

I do have something else to say but that veers more into changes in writing/focus, along the lines of "The actor can't handle more/stronger material" so I'll leave it.

I'm sure I have other opinions on this, but I'll come back.

5. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I have to say that the only real missteps, in my eyes, were Beth and Jessie.

Beth/EK (Doing my best to keep the summer/fall of Season 5 filming out of this): While I did feel at some points that Beth had potential, it never really got there. Oddly enough, her better acting occurred near her introduction (comtemplation of suicide) and again near her end (The Grady Arc). I just don't know with this character... I know part of it was that they just didn't seem to know what to do with her and part of it was just some acting choices that either came across flat or heavyhanded...

Jessie/AB: At the end of the day, I just couldn't be bothered to care about the character and I honestly felt more for the kids. lots of poor acting choices that made people question the consistency of her character and even if she herself was the abuser. not to mention coming across as contemptuous toward her eldest son when she argued with him. One whole season and I just couldn't be bothered.

Special shout out to Shumpert the Bowman who had zero lines and died off screen. Most useless casting ever.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  6. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Hopefully the thread doesn't nose dive into Jessie hate, (says the girl about to spew Jessie hate) but yeah....AB was awful.

But I wonder, was that the point? idk. If they'd cast a better actress who was more likable and relatable it could have been a possible sign that Richonne wasn't going to happen so.....thank you?

Speculation as to why AB was cast aside, she really was just terrible. Jessie was supposed to be a character we felt empathy or sympathy for and yet I felt nothing besides annoyed. Richonne trash status notwithstanding, I couldn't deal with her face on the screen. Her speaking made it 100x worse. I felt like AB was a pretty girl who just has had jobs handed to her as a favor to her famous uncle or something. (I'm an asshole, sorry) but that's what her casting struck me as.

Part of me would have actually liked to see her try to act with DG. Like, a real intense scene and DG just mop the floor with her. She'd interacted with MMB, but they were never real important interactions, perhaps for the same reason.

MamaGrimes, Chaos and Skybound like this.
  7. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Xander Berkeley has only been in one episode but he was an A+ slimy dickbag. I knew instantly he'd be perfect as Gregory.

Jimmy, LunaFall and MamaGrimes like this.
  8. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    No one else could be Rick Grimes. Andy is what makes the show! Hopefully Andy never gets tired of being Rick Grimes. Danai has brought Michonne to the screen way way way better than what Michonne was in the comics. I can't see anyone else playing her. She is not my favorite by a long shot. But she has made her the iconic character that she is. Jon was the perfect Shane. Him and Andy seemed like they had known each other for years before the show started. Their scenes were so so so good. Can not wait to see more of Tom and his take on Jesus and JDM's journey as Negan. Oh and Michael is so great as Abe. He plays him silly when he needs to and serious when it is time to get down to business. Josh has made me love love love Eugene. Was not a big fan of comic Eugene but Josh brings the wit and smarts that makes Eugene so great. I could not see any other man being Eugene. He makes me laugh one minute and has me cheering the next. Will save you guys from my Melissa love fest.

hewontgo, MamaGrimes and Appetence like this.
  9. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I never read the comics so I can't really compare as to what the characters are supposed to be but....

-I think Andy is Rick and Rick is Andy. No one will ever play Rick better than Andy.

-DG is good as Michonne. She can act and has amazing chemistry with Rick/AL.

-EK as sweet as she is in interviews, she was a bad casting choice.

-MC is good as Abe

-Chandler is good as Carl

-I think AB was a bad casting choice. I think to be a principal actor on TWD one should actually be able to produce tears when their character is crying lol AB doesn't know how to do that.

-As much as I disliked Shane (lord knows I do lol), Jon was a good choice, he can act.

This is a side note:
    I was and still am a big "Sons of Anarchy," fan. I would love to see some of the cast be cast in TWD. For instance, we could add Charlie Hunnam example :) :
    image.jpeg
    I think he would've played Oggs character or something total bad a*s :)

10. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Andrew Lincoln is the perfect Rick Grimes. I can't imagine anyone else playing him. We have seen him evolve from this fresh faced young cop to who he is now. Is he a killer, yes he is but in this world he lives in he really didn't have much choice.

Danai is amazing as Michonne, I never read the comics so my view of her is what I see on my TV. I love her spirit, I love her attitude, I love her katana and the fact that is not afraid to use it. And she can protect herself.

Vivis and DixonGrimes like this.
  11. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne Plotting to kill Negan
    Patron

Walker Pets:

Umm no ma'am we can not have Jax going against Rick.

12. QueenTee

QueenTee Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Great idea for a thread, Mama!

Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes
    What can I say that hasn't been said already?? There is no other actor that can replace Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes! He is Rick Grimes.
    It really amazing, some actors have a tendency to disappear in a role completely losing all of their RL traits and becoming that character but Andrew Lincoln has the unique ability that only a few actors have. The jaw clenches and head tilts come to mind. :gareth:
    Andrew manages to integrate his own charisma and traits into the character of Rick Grimes making him tangible and I can not take my eyes off him. :eyefuck:

Danai Gurira as Michonne
    Again, what else can I say?
    Danai's onscreen presence was so electrifying that the show runners had to alter the coarse of the show to accommodate it!
    Y'all, Rick and Michonne weren't suppose to happen!!
    Danai manages to bring a gracefulness to the character of Michonne while simultaneously exuding strength and power. I've said this once before but there couldn't be a better example of a strong female character other than that of Danai's portray of Michonne! :mich:

Notable mentions:

AB as Jesse - To be fair, I can't envision anyone playing that role and me liking them regardless. Personally, I don't think AB really sold it but I'm slightly bias, so even if Alexandra's acting was superb I couldn't have got into it. Just keeping it real.

Chad as Tyrese - That was all on the writers! Tyrese had the potential to be a really badass character but somehow the writers managed to neuter his full capability. Still salty on that one!

Melissa as Carol - I think Melissa is an amazing character and has really harnessed the strength of Carol!
    I'm just not happy with the writers dragging out this emo "I just want to be left alone" phase. :tired:

Laurie as Andrea - To me, Laurie's portrayal of Andrea just felt..vacant. There was no passion, sizzle, even a flicker not even with the Governor. The only thing I really felt was her friendship with Michonne and I think that was largely due to Danai's boundless chemistry with everyone.

Norman as Daryl - Considering he had nothing to really go off, I think he does a compelling job at creating his own character. I've always thought Daryl was one of the most intriguing characters, he has been immensely damaged from his childhood but he's learned to gain importance and acceptance in the Apocalypse. It's interesting to watch him evolve, I just think some of his nutty fangirls' unyielding acceptance of everything he does just gets in the way of that sometimes. :jude:

SweetDee85 likes this.
  13. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    oh but what a hot show it would be :rolleyes:

14. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne Plotting to kill Negan
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    They gotta be on the same team. I can't have them as advasaries.