1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Clues! Clues everywhere! #WhoIsIt

Discussion in '6x16: Last Day on Earth' started by Doctor Grimes, Apr 4, 2016.

?

Now that you've viewed the finale, has it changed your mind about who is getting Lucilled?

1. Daryl

27 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Glenn

23 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. Abraham

25 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. A-A-Ron

5 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Eugene

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Rick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Carl

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. Michonne

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. Maggie (Gleggie baby)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Sasha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Rosita

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    So... Kirkman tried to soothe our seething souls by telling us there were "clues" as to who died.

[​IMG]

:| Mmmk. Like that makes everything so much better. :lol:

What gets me is that: there are clues for literally almost every character.

[​IMG]

So let's look for some clues, shall we? :rickgrin:

ABRAHAM
    - Admits he wants to live again; propositioned Sasha about having a kid
    - Ominous look in rearview mirror
    - Stared down Negan; Negan smiled at him in the line-up
    - Touching good-bye with Eugene

AARON
    - Wants to prove himself / "owes it" to Maggie
    - Was asked by Carl why he was there
    - Got a lot of shine in this episode

DARYL
    - He lost his angel wings
    - He's in bad shape already
    - According to some fan analysis (by multiple people), Negan should've landed on him if he was following "eeny meeny" in the order we were shown

SASHA
    - Was asked by Abraham about having kids

MAGGIE
    - Was directly confronted by Negan
    - Dropped a comic line from a moment way later in the series "I believe in you, Rick" / "I believe in Rick Grimes"
    - Rick reassured her that there was "more" (just like he did to Jessie before she died)
    - Is in bad shape

GLENN
    - Broke the line to stop Negan from threatening Maggie
    - Maggie's line from earlier "It's gonna cost us something" / Negan telling them it was going to cost them
    - The leaked audio clip included sounds like a baby crying and someone saying, "Maggie"

MICHONNE
    - The Lead Savior telling Rick it could be the "last day on Earth" of someone he loves
    - Rick chopped off the hand of the walker that had Michonne's jacket -- just like he chopped off Jessie's hand.

EUGENE
    - Had a touching good-bye with Abraham.
    - Told Rick he was going to prove himself.
    - Handed over the bullet recipe (which is his comic story legacy)

The only fuckers on this show who are safe right now are Carl, Rick, Carol, Morgan, Gabriel, Spencer, and Judy. Carol and Morgan because they're gonna join the Kingdom of LARPers. Spencer and Gabriel because they're chillin' at the good old ASZ. And Rick and Carl because both of them were threatened after the selection.

Further breakdown of the Lucille scene can eliminate further suspects:

Here is the sequence of characters in order:
    Glenn – Rosita – Daryl – Michonne – Abraham – Maggie – Rick – Sasha – Aaron – Carl – Eugene

When Negan stands before his victim, the light is hitting his right side:
    [​IMG]

Which would eliminate Glenn of all people:
    [​IMG]
    (sorry for the tiny gif; don't have a better one)

Glenn is the only one directly facing the light source (possibly Rosita is as well); so if Negan were standing on front of Glenn, the light would be on Negan's back, making him a silhouette.

Judging from the lighting, it would definitely make the most likely victims in the center (crossed off known safe people):
    Glenn – RositaDaryl Michonne Abraham MaggieRick – Sasha – Aaron – Carl – Eugene

Furthermore, when breaking down Negan's "eeny meeny", he should land on someone in that vicinity:

Using direct bat points as a reference from the episode:
    Eeny: Rick
    Meeny: Maggie
    MIney: Abraham
    Mo: Michonne
    Catch a tiger: Daryl
    [By his: Rosita
    Toe: Glenn
    If he hollers: Eugene
    ]
    Let him go: Carl
    [My mother: ?]
    Told me: Carl

From their it spirals into an amalgam of bat points and just cuts of their terrified faces while Negan speaks, but it can be deduced the order is around this grouping:
    to pick: Aaron
    the very: Sasha
    best: Rick
    one: Maggie
    and: Abraham
    you: Michonne
    are: Daryl
    it: Rosita

So once again we're stuck with a range between Abe and Rosita; this time falling on (most likely) Daryl OR Rosita (given there could be some slack there with Negan's pauses).

Given I don't think Negan is killing a woman, this puts the most likely candidate for the Lucille'ing as Abraham or Daryl given the light source, context clues, and the sequence of eeny-meeny.

... Of course, this show isn't known for its brilliant continuity, so they could magic an explanation for whoever they want to inevitably get the bat.

But given what we saw, Abe and Daryl are the only two who make sense, unless Negan is killing a woman, in which case, Rosita and Michonne could very well be on the table (but let's be real, he's not killing either of them).

ETA: More analysis:

ourglennrhee mentioned this on Tumblr:

Negan looks on either side of the victim:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Meaning whoever is chosen has to be buttressed on either side by other people.

Which eliminates Eugene and Glenn (the ends of the line-up).

Glenn Rosita Daryl Michonne Abraham MaggieRick – Sasha – Aaron – Carl Eugene

That's our golden group of suspects at the moment.

If we eliminate women (given Negan seemingly having a soft spot for them)....
    Glenn Rosita Daryl Michonne Abraham Maggie Rick – Sasha – Aaron – Carl Eugene

#1 Doctor Grimes, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. Ares

Ares On a two week vacation.
    Staff Member Graphic Designer Patron

Walker Pets:
    Jesus, K. Jesus. This is amazing. I love you, I'd marry you for this if you weren't married yet.

3. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Thank you for this thread! I just rewatched the episode and two things stood out during the ending speech. When he says "And for that? For that you're gonna have to pay (in reference to killing his people)." The camera then pans immediately to Daryl.

When Glenn freaked out about Maggie after Negan fake raised his bat, Negan had this to say, with an almost bored look about him:
    "Nope. Nope, get him back in line."

My spec is that Negan had Daryl chosen ALL ALONG. Daryl is responsible for most of the deaths and Negan wants to wipe him off the planet. He may even consider him a threat (hence the instruction to Dwight to wing him).

The speech and Eeny Meeny was solely to break Rick. Which he did.

My Darcille ship will sail in season 7!

@Doctor Grimes - Your OP is a freaking masterpiece. :hearts:
    :hearts:

4. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I noticed it panned to Daryl when he said "You're gonna have to pay" as well. :rickgrin:

:crydaryl::lucille2:

I can't wait for my :lol:-like Negan emoji. It will complete the effect.

5. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Also Daryl is kneeling on Michonne's right-side just like Hershel was in 408. :lol:

6. Shown

Shown Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Well, I'm gonna be making popcorn and sitting in on this thread when it fires up. Thank you Doc for a terrific opener. Let's hope the writers remember not to fuck up the continuity.

I don't know if this matters, but Norman hasn't dyed his hair dark brown. On TTD, his hair was getting much lighter, closer to his natural hair color which I believe is medium blonde.

7. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This really goes in line with what I was saying the other day that Negan's victim was going to be someone from the center to the right, or Negan's left (Glenn, Rosita, Michonne, Daryl, or Abraham). If they remain consistent with the lighting from the last scene, then I'm relieved that it's not Glenn.
    I'm certain they aren't going to go there with Rosita or Michonne - especially not Michonne (I firmly believe that she is going to, in Deanna's words, "Give 'em hell" next season).
    the only two options are Daryl and Abe... and I can't bring myself to think they would save Abe from his arrow death just to give him Glenn's death... but then I'd probably be giving too much credit and making too much sense... Daryl is the only one out of the five that should be getting the bat.

#7 LunaFall, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  8. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Also Negan gestures to his right side when he makes the mention of feeding Rick with Carl's eye, which would hint that Carl is to Negan's right, which also points to the group to Rick's left (Abraham through Rosita).

However, things that throw a wrench in this? The cast has said they don't know who dies. I don't know whether to believe them or not though because JDM said he didn't know which cut of the episode they were going to use when he spoke about who the death is, and I just have this feeling someone has to have an inkling.

9. Mullet of Lies

Mullet of Lies In Red Swim Trunks We Trust
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Saw this over on r/thewalkingdead:

[​IMG]

So I'm leaning towards Daryl. I'm convinced
    Rosita will get her comic death
    and I agree that Glenn was too far to the side from where it seemed Negan was standing. I'd like to think that Abe is sticking around for the AOW arc, because if not then wtf was the point of giving Denise his death?

10. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Thanks for this, Doc. My money's on Abe or Daryl as well. I just think it's been too much blatant foreshadowing and hints up the wazoo and the Dumpstergate for it to be Glenn at this point. Hoping that SG wouldn't be that cruel. Plus Maggie wasn't doing her patented blood curdling Glenn scream when the bat happened, so I think he's safe. And good catch with the lighting and all, so that just adds to it.

All the shine that Abe has gotten recently with making the decision to live and go after Sasha, asking Sasha about having a baby -- really? -- and his talk with Rick at the fence, his heartfelt goodbye with Eugene , him killing some of the Saviors as well, and Abe looking like he was volunteering to take the hit for TF, I don't think it's looking too good for this ginger, although his death wouldn't have the same impact as an original core TF member like Daryl.

And I agree that he's not killing a woman, especially not two minority women. I don't think that would go over well at all with a white man beating to death a black or Hispanic woman with a bat.

And Daryl, yep, lost his wings, got bested by Dwight three times, he's the one that really started this whole thing and have killed the most Saviors, two crossbowers not needed, so either he or Dwight need to go, greatest emotional impact on Rick and TF, and he just seems the most likeliest, but we know how that could go with him being the cash cow. But he would really be the best choice at this point. Just a matter of whether TPTB have the cajones to do it.

Michele, Empress, Mousey and 4 others like this.
  11. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I disagree wirh the lighting issue. The way I see it with Glenn being the farthest to Negan's left, it makes sense the light is shining on his right. Glenn isn't so far out of the line that the light would be all the way behind Negan.

The biggest clues are those shots in the van...they are all from Glenn's position in the van.

When they retell the story in season 7, I believe they will start from there.

Also Negan points to Glenn off camera to the word "catch" the one and only time we see Glenn's face during the eeny meeny risk at the end when he says "you are" and he shares that with others. Glenn's Lucille shot also looks similar to the comic frame.

Foreshadowing...Glenn had several talks with Enid about how to move on after people you love die, what those people were to him and in episode 15, he had another monologue with Michonne going down memory lane. Maggie telling Rick that she believed in him is perfect set up for her lashing out if Glenn dies.

Negan using the comic line "taking it like a champ"...they switch deaths but they don't usually give the same scenario to someone else. Plus Glenn said "dont, don't" and said "Maggie" at different times sure but all the dialogue from the comics was still there.

JayHey, DixonGrimes, Michele and 4 others like this.
  12. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    DarAbecille.

Daryl is obviously the preferred choice but I've been burned one too many times to put all my eggs in that basket. I'm not that lucky.

Plus I can't help but look at how Abe has come full circle this season and is in a good place. That never lasts.

13. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Here are some pics as visuals...per Doc's point about Daryl being to Michonne's right.

[​IMG]
    Same position here....
    [​IMG]

Shown and Doctor Grimes like this.
  14. blacklitchick

blacklitchick Black Girl Magic
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is how they made me. Houston, Texas baby.
    Didn't Greg Nictero say a few months back only him and the person dying had seen the final cut of the finale? I think it was during the WalkerStalker Cruise. So maybe only that person knows.

Jenna Alaki and Shown like this.
  15. birdnmouse

birdnmouse Guest

And she told Daryl in 6x15 that she would square it which I always thought was an odd line. Aside from saying anything to get him back home, why promise a very capable guy that she'd square it? Unless he's not around to do it himself in season 7...

Michonne is definitely going to be out for blood, I have no doubt about that after her reaction to Negan.

16. Mullet of Lies

Mullet of Lies In Red Swim Trunks We Trust
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Us for the next 6 months:

[​IMG]

17. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    He said one person had seen the final cut but that was a long time ago. I think he was just referring to this episode as we saw it.

blacklitchick likes this.
  18. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yes! I clung to that line like a life saver when she said it. She will avenge his death.

19. Nerdgasm

Nerdgasm Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    It's going to be a long few weeks.
    I say weeks cuz filming will most likely spoil the hell out of this.
    If not I can't do the guessing for six months thing. I'll probably rip my hair out trying to play Clue.

20. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah people were saying Daryl was saddled with the Dwight arc, but Michonne said she would handle it for him, so Daryl's death could spur a helluva revenge arc for Michonne.