1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Could Carol be a female Rick

Discussion in 'Carol / Melissa McBride' started by Motherdick, Nov 27, 2016.

1. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think they are very different. After Carol lost all her family, she became about herself mostly. All of her actions are self serving. Whereas with Rick, his actions has always been for the betterment of his family, even the violent ones.

As an aside, I've seen the comments about Rick fans/Carol fans etc and who is wrong or whatever. From my perspective, Rick fans can admit when he does fucked up shit. Hell, we point them out and even side-eye him. Hell, yesterday, @Doctor Grimes made the thread about all the bad each character has done and his list was hella long. I even added a few. :lol: Rick is far from a "saint" or a choir boy. But I don't think Carol fans can say the same with their fave. I think each character has flaws and they can/should be pointed out without it being made an attack, but rather healthy discussions/analysis/disagreements.

2. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is the place I see most of the hate for Carol but this is the place I like to come. People are smart and funny here. So do you see where I am coming from?

3. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    We will agree to disagree. I don't get the Team "Carol has always blamed (hated) Rick for Sophia's death" and thus everything she has done since then is self-serving and manipulative. I feel like the evidence to support Carol being this way is thin and super circumstantial at best. That being said, a dislike of Rick does not mean she dislikes everyone else in TF. And that would have to be the case if she chose to abandon everyone during a period of conflict.

Terminus wasn't a time of conflict. She and TF literally blew the place up, killed people, and unleashed a herd of walkers on the rest. For all intensive purposes, the trouble was handled. Any rational person would have thought that was so (I am thinking about Glenn here). Then they got their hands on a whole bunch of food. Things were settled when she tried to leave.

If this is the case, that Carol pretty much hates Rick AND every other action she has done has been completely self-serving, I still blame the writers for not making this at all clear. Furthermore, they have written things that basically contradict this way of thinking. These theories are based on pretty uneven story telling at best with behaviors that just aren't consistent in my opinion.

4. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I would say there's more Carol criticism here because it can't be said much place else. People feel they can express their grievances with her character without being dog piled.

Other forums have their bases. TSDF hosts a lot of Daryl fans (but is pretty well-rounded as a general rule with various fans). TWD Zone hosts many Carol fans (and a decent amount of Rick criticism). TITTD is primarily based with Rick and Michonne fans. This place was created because of the unfair practices of another forum (of which we both know). Richonne fans really had nowhere to go. And, well, the admin here is a big Rick fan. As a result, not many Rick haters will want to join. Ya know?

However, this forum accommodates all fans. Everyone is welcome to share their opinion if they wish, but rebuttals will be offered as this is a discussion forum.

5. Michroolz

Michroolz Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Sorry m'dear but you have inserted a 'thus' into my quote that completely changes the meaning of my post. Because of this, I did not read the rest of your post. Regardless I agree to disagree.

FLNatural and zahira like this.
  6. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Here's another way to look at Rick and Carol and why Carol is not a female Rick. They are both people who could have used a great deal of therapy (actually most of the characters could- too bad they couldn't have a psychologist on the show..oh yeah...:denise:).

Like months and months of it due to the trauma they both suffered. Carol was abused for years and then lost her daughter to the walkers and had that trauma compounded by seeing her daughter reanimated. Rick had to lead his family to safety, absorb the guilt of each of the deaths that occurred under his watch, kill his best friend, have his wife reject him and then deal with his wife's tragic death just as he was about to make amends with her.

How these two character even function, let alone survive and fight is a freaking miracle.

Now here is the difference. Rick continues to open his heart and mind to possibilities for the future. Yes, he's been kicked down many times but he hasn't given up, he builds new friendships, has fallen in love and is hopeful that he can raise the daughter of his heart to adulthood. This is a man who may experience defeat but he keeps on keeping on.

Carol has internalized her trauma over time and, with each tragic death (Sophia, Mika, Lizzie, Tyreese, etc), she has closed herself off. She started looking for a way out back at the church and she is someone who has decided that her heart can't break anymore than it already has. She's tired, she's guilt-ridden and she's pushing everyone she's loved and who loves her away. When she ran away last season, I saw someone who was absolutely clinically depressed and most likely suicidal.

Carol is not a female Rick. Not by a long shot. He's trying to fight his way into a future and Carol just wants it all to go away.

I have a feeling this season will show us some interesting development for these two characters and I'm looking forward to it!

7. LivingAsMe

LivingAsMe ~Rejecting Negativity, Embracing Positivity~
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

Carol and Rick may have had similar tragic experiences but she's not the female Rick. The female Rick would be Michonne and then Maggie.

Rick has a whole community to manage and everything falls on his shoulder. He gets blamed whether he's involved or not. He shoulders and gives himself more guilt. He can't just up and leave whenever he feels like it. Carol reaches her limit after a few kills and has to leave the group. There are several instances of this. Rick is stronger mentally. It takes a lot to break Rick down mentally and even with the Negan situation, the fight is there but he's thinking about his family and everyone else in the community.

Carol left for selfish reasons. She tells herself she did it for the group, but it's because she can't handle what she's done, who she's become. She tends to act like she has it all together and talk down to others, especially when she knows they can see through the masks she wears. That's why it was refreshing to see Ezekiel call her out on her bullshit and not be up her ass. But I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to take everything she says as law.

Most of the time Rick is usually at the forefront of the plans made and ask the group for their input and then a final decision is made.

Carol on the other hand likes to take matters in her own hands, feels she knows what's best, and disregard other opinions if it doesn't fit into how she wants something to happen.

They are two warriors and survivors. But they have both diverged on their own paths where I think the two can no longer be compared.

Carol is the queen. She's Gimple's, the media, and the fandom's sweetheart. She will outlast everyone on this show.

Rick isn't seen as the badass hero. Gimple and co. have made him act out of character and East makes me cringe with this because then the whole debacle between Carol and Rick in season 4 was for what purpose? The media tend to regulate him as No.2 to Daryl when it should be a fact that Rick is no.1. He will most likely die in the last episode of twd.

So similarities between these two have been stagnant for a while now.

[​IMG]

8. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    :assassin:
    I get the feeling that Carol is yet to go through another transformation because I definitely think she is going to have a strong presence in The Kingdom (perhaps a co-leadership role or advisor to Ezekiel)....because you know she's Carol

nat_richonne, zahira and Michroolz like this.
  9. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    So THUS is the issue...my bad. This then implies that Carol has been self-serving and manipulative the entire time she has been on the show not as a result of anything??? Isn't that even harder to conclude to based on the writing for this show thus far? I like Carol. She isn't my fave but I am okay with her. Going that far seems a little much to me based on what we have i.e. the source material (mostly show since comic!Carol is different). That being said, I still wish the writers did a better job of sussing out story lines and having the characters do things that are in line with their previous actions.

10. MrsG

MrsG Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Carol and Rick both love TF, but Rick is selfless and strong. I'm a rare breed in that I think Rick shit don't stink...ever, so I'm biased. Carol has made many errors and transgressions, yet, I never question Rick's motives because I know it was done out of love to protect what's his. I can't say that with Carol's choices. I respect her...but from a distance. Still side eyeing her, though. LOL!

vicarious70 and FLNatural like this.
  11. accioval

accioval Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    No.

I think that their biggest similarity is that they will do whatever they think is necessary to protect the people that they love and their family.

But, I think the way that they go about doing this is very, very different. Basically, Carol does whatever she deems necessary from her POV to protect them, and doesn't consider the ramifications on others. Rick, on the other hand, does what he needs to FOR EVERYONE ELSE and then himself, which sometimes means making decisions that he doesn't fully agree with himself or that the people that he loves might not agree with; but that benefit the group and keeps everyone alive.

12. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    A+
    :hearts::hot::tea::bravo::tackle::hug:

LivingAsMe likes this.
  13. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:

Not that rare...Rick can do no wrong in my eyes. I'm 100% biased in favor of Rick and all his choices. He's always right. I'd be that weird ASZ'er in the back always yelling in the meetings, "Rick's right! Let's do what Rick says!"

:yay:

MrsG likes this.
  14. MrsG

MrsG Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    LOL! Me, too @FLNatural. The ASZers would be like, "...these two bit*hes." :lol::rickgrin:

15. wanderfull

wanderfull Walker Bait

Walker Pets:
    Yes.... Because they love Daryl.:crydaryl:

Idk I always thought they are similar and sometimes not...in a personality or character driven way. I think of them as twins or siblings. I uh kinda think Daryl and Michonne are similar too in some areas. OK. I know weird opinion.:cat::shiva2: