1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Compilation Danai/Michonne Media Mentions Compliation Thread

Discussion in 'Michonne / Danai Gurira' started by Walkingonsunshine, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Walkingonsunshine

Walkingonsunshine The Ones Who Live
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    On an 'old' forum that shall not be named I used to keep a compliation thread of the big/semi-big Danai/Michonne related media mentions to keep track of press and interviews. Here's the season 5 time period. I will add more for season 6 and 7 since those are pretty massive due to Danai pretty much blowing up. :yay:

Feel free to keep posting articles and mentions in other threads. This is more so just for archiving and compiling purposes. Some of the videos have expired so I'll have to find new ones.

Season 5A interviews and media mentions:

Video: Entertainment Weekly: The Walking Dead: Danai on Michonne, 08/31/14
    Summary: Danai explains what to expect of Michonne in season 5. She speaks on how Michonne wants a safe space for Carl but also knows what has to be done in a brutal world.

Quote:

“She does yearn for something more stable in life. She really believes that Carl needs something more stable than where they are and what they have been experiencing, but also she’s very committed to what has to be done. She’s a woman who does what has to be done, so that involves a lot of ferocity.”

Video:

Net-a-Porter Magazine: The Interview: Danai Gurira, 9/18/14
    Summary:
    Some great photos of DG. She speaks on her playwrighting, TWD and diversity in Hollywood.

Excerpt:

For example, she currently spends seven months a year in Atlanta shooting US TV phenomenon The Walking Dead, in which she plays “bad-ass” warrior Michonne, slicing up as many zombies as she can swing her multiple swords at. That may seem inward, but for Gurira, the parallels between the themes on the show and the civil unrest within her home continent are palpable. “It’s metaphorical. There are so many things that you could put in place of the zombies,” the 36-year-old reflects.

[​IMG]

AMC: On Set With Danai Gurira: On the Michonne Action Figure: The Walking Dead, 9/26/14
    Summary:

DG talks about Michonne action figure.

Video:

MTV:‘The Walking Dead': Danai Gurira Teases Michonne Will ‘Shed The Armor’ In Season 5, 10/12/14
    Summary: Short Video interview with DG about Michonne in season 5

Quote:
    “Michonne is definitely going through what I’ve always said is a becoming, and it really is fascinating to step into what that means,” Gurira said. “It’s kind of fun to see this woman shed certain pieces of armor, and open up, but still have other really steel, solidified pieces of self inside of her that are still quite formidable and interesting.”

Danai Gurira on Live with Kelly and Michael Full Interview (Oct 2014)

Video:

US Weekly: Danai Gurira: 25 Things You Didn't Know About Me, 10/12/14
    Summary:
    And the 36-year-old actress, who just did a photo shoot with Byrdie, shared some things that are surely good to know about her.

Excerpt:
    1. I was born in Iowa and raised in Zimbabwe.
    2. Surprisingly, I don't watch horror movies since I don't enjoy being scared.
    3. My favorite dish to make is my famous "Fourth of July" lamb and goat-cheese burgers.
    4. I met Nina Simone when I was 15. She visited Zimbabwe.
    5. I've been trying to give up added sugar. It's just so painful.

BYRDIE: Danai Gurira Finds Elegance in the Season’s Bright Color Palette, 10/13/14
    Summary:
    Some pics of DG in colorful and cool outfits and some excerpts from an interview.

Excerpt:

Gurira is not afraid to: kick ass.
    Gurira’s character Michonne wields a samurai sword as her weapon of choice for battling zombies. “She is a woman of unapologetic strength, and I thought that was an interesting character to explore,” Gurira says. There’s a likeness between Gurira and Michonne, too. “I am not as agile as her, probably not as smart, not as strategic, and not as chill, but we both definitely have a fighter in us,” she says. “We are women who can’t hide our strength, and can’t downplay it, no matter how hard we try.”

[​IMG]

Bello Magazine: ‘THE WALKING DEAD’ DANAI GURIRA FOR BELLO MAG + VIDEO, 11/4/14

Summary: DG featured in BELLO Magazine. Photoshoot and interview. She speaks on how she transform into Michonne through hair and wardrobe. Download issue to see the photospread.

Video:

Danai Gurira Red Carpet Interview - AMAs 2014, (12/2014)
    Video:

Season 5B interviews and media mentions:

EW:'The Walking Dead' star Danai Gurira says Michonne is no longer a loner', 01/17/15
    Summary: EW interviews DG about Michonne's evolution

Excerpt:
    ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What can you say about Michonne coming up in season 5 in terms of her evolution? How is she going to be fitting in with this new group that we have here?
    DANAI GURIRA: I think she’s still evolving and settling into the idea that I’m now going to be a part of this team. Before she was a part of the team, but she had time to get on her horse and go away and spend time alone. But fully immersed and invested is another level of commitment. It really is about her living in that and then what that evolved into for her in terms of really deciding, I want to live. I want to live and I want to live with people and I want to be committed. How does that really look in a world this vile?

EW: 'The Walking Dead' star Danai Gurira wigs out (1/17/15)
    Excerpt:
    We asked Gurira what she loves and hates the most about the wig, and you can now see her full response in the video player below. On the positive side, Gurira immediately points to the transformative properties of the hair. “The Michonne wig is fantastic,’ said Gurira while taking a break from her EW The Walking Dead cover shot.

The Wall Street Journal: ‘Walking Dead’ Star Danai Gurira Moonlights as a Playwright, 1/27/15
    Summary:
    DG speaks on her new play 'Familiar' which would during a tour at the Yale Repertoire Theater. This is the play castmate Ross Marquand (Aaron) starred in.

Excerpt:
    Those voices ultimately proved crucial to her understanding of Michonne. “She reminded me of the women of Liberia—the women who fought, who got up and became their own weapon,” Ms. Gurira said. “Hypervigilant, hypersensitive, and you know, very untrusting—it’s very much all a component of a trauma she had not metabolized.” The zombie apocalypse, she realized, “was basically a war zone.”

Robert Kirkman, creator and executive producer of “The Walking Dead,” said the creative team was favoring a different actress for the role—perhaps the show’s most iconic—until Ms. Gurira’s second audition. “We were all kind of shocked,” he said. “We did think we were going another way, but after that last round of testing, Danai just stole the show. When I look at her, she is Michonne.”

For most of her first season, Ms. Gurira’s character barely spoke. “I use my voice literally as a source of my own power,” said Ms. Gurira. “To act a character who actually considered talking a liability was fascinating.”

Instead, she found Michonne’s power through her silence, communicating volumes with her piercing gaze. Putting on Michonne’s combat boots— “So shoes I would never wear”—helped her develop the character’s predatory stalk, a pair of chained, armless zombies occasionally staggering in her wake. “I also deeply found her through her weapon,” said Ms. Gurira, who keeps practice swords “everywhere.” “The more my body started to connect with it, the more I started to connect with her.” The wig, she added, also helps.

Ms. Gurira draws inspiration from her character’s post-apocalypse chic. “She refused to let go of style,” she said. “Some people were talking to me, they’re like, ‘How’d she get that Missoni headband?’,” Ms. Gurira recalled. “I was like, ‘She raided a Missoni store.’”

GMA: Get Michonne's Body With 'The Walking Dead' Workout
    Summary: Video of TWD workouts to get Michonne's body.

Video:

Fansided: TWD Michonne Embraces Her Sword
    Excerpt:
    In Alexandria, Michonne told herself that in order to really make a go of civilization, she should release the katana off her back and it became fireplace art, a mere souvenir of a vacation to the zombie apocalypse.

Self Magazine, March 2015:The Walking Dead‘s Danai Gurira Talks Staying Balanced and Strong
    Excerpt:
    That’s why Gurira always makes time to sweat—even with 14-hour filming days. This is in addition to her career as an award-winning playwright, which includes a drama she put on at Yale this past winter, plus a TV pilot she’s been commissioned to write. “There’s always enough time in the day to get in a 20-minute workout,” she says. To make it easier, she keeps practice swords in the trunk of her car, so she can keep in shape whenever and wherever she goes. “I’ve trained in my garage, my living room, in a pool and even an underground parking garage,” she says. “It never stops!”

Snippet of magazine the actual magazine article:
    [​IMG]
    TV Guide: 'The Walking Dead Postmortem: Danai Gurira on Michonne's Big Choice', 02/22/15
    Summary:
    Interview with DG about episode 5.11 (The Distance).

Excerpt:
    Interviewer: She also had been pushing Rick to find a safe place to settle down even before Aaron showed up.

Gurira: Yes, there's also the component of seeing something viable in front of her. When she chose to not go back out into the world by herself in Season 4, the decision was coupled with the decision to live. Now the question for her is: What does that look like? Sometimes it means seeing the better of a situation rather than looking at it and remembering all the bad things of the past. Her instincts are very sharp in this moment. She's fully Michonne -- that cautious, careful person -- but she's also hopeful. I think the two things combined allow her to look at this guy more objectively than everyone else in the room.

Chic Londes: Danai Gurira: Actress, Playwright and Campaigner, 2/23/15
    Excerpt:
    Michonne is a warrior who’s a fighter who protects fiercely those she loves how do you identify with her?

We have strong parallels, although it’s only recently that those were brought to my attention. She has different tactics from mine because she is in a war zone, but I love the fact that she uses her power to protect others.

The next step for me is to get the cause we’ve been defending during this summit to the big screen, because films are a very powerful tool to bring awareness to the public- so far, my main media as a writer has been the theatre, but the stage only goes that far when it comes to carry messages, while films are limitless.

Tech Times: 'The Walking Dead': Should Michonne Replace Violent Rick As Leader Of The Group?, 2/25/15
    Summary: After the episode 'The Distance' Tech Times writers speculates that Rick's mental state may mean he's not fit to lead at the time. Comic spoiler within article for arcs after ASZ.

Excerpt:
    So yes, Michonne could be a good leader since her mind is not entirely on the side of not trusting another human being. For sure, trusting can get everyone killed, but it can also save live. This is something Rick appears to have lost, and it is understandable. The Sanctuary and Woodbury were filled with dangerous men, but these experiences should not mean all humans are cannibals and murderers.

TV Insider: The Walking Dead Postmortem: Danai Gurira Talks Alexandria and Michonne's New Job, 3/1/15
    Summary:
    DG answers questions about ASZ and Michonne's new constable position.

Excerpt:
    Last week, Michonne stood up to Rick and fought to make the trip to Alexandria. Does she, more than anybody, need this to work out?
    She's trying to get the group to a safe haven and to not keep going into darker places. They've been on the defensive and she's been trying to keep the group intact. Her people were starting to go down a path that she'd been down, but she is not going to let the people she loves go that way.

Even though they're presented with new homes and beds, everybody stays close together in one room. Michonne and Rick both have trouble sleeping through the night. Are they struggling with a form of PTSD?
    Absolutely. There's no way she's just going to start knitting and making jam. She's going to keep that awareness open and always think about the worst-case scenario. It's still cautious hope.

Huffingtonpost.com - Why Michonne Must Live: Actress Danai Gurira Gives Us Exactly What We Need Right Now, 3/20/15
    Excerpt:
    Yes, she can work that katana like nobody else, but she is also very attractive, intelligent, and cares for her surrogate family members. Less caricature and more relatable as a sister, mother, and friend, Michonne is a nuanced personality who has evolved and grown with each season of the show. To say that The Walking Dead is about zombies really missed the point. TWD is gory, brutal, and honest about who the walking dead are and what happens when stuff hits the fan.

The Hollywood Reporter: 'Walking Dead's' Danai Gurira on Why Michonne Put Rick on "Time Out," "Scary" Finale, 3/26/15
    Summary:
    DG speaks on Michonne's feeling of personal responsibility for Noah's death, why she knocked Rick out and identifying with Sasha

Excerpt:
    Michonne is also suffering from PTSD along with Sasha (Sonequa Martin-Green). Can she adapt to this new world or will she, like Sasha, look to continue the fight?

Michonne is at a place where she is trying to reconcile her various facets and experiences so she can function in a stable, non-reactive way. Losing Noah (Tyler James Williams) affected her deeply because she feels she was meant to protect her people, and she got them here, and so, in her mind, she felt some responsibility for his his well being. Now she's trying to figure out how she can be settled here and still on guard for her people and also the people of this community. But Michonne is not at the same place as Sasha; she's moved past a lot of her rage and tactics of lashing out. But she can deeply identify with Sasha and has tried to help her through it and keep her from putting herself in harm's way.

'The Walking Dead's' Danai Gurira on the Season 5 Finale: 'Thrilling, Epic, Really Nothing You Can Prepare For', 3/29/15

Summary:
    Danai Gurira gives her perspective on the upcoming season finale.

Excerpt:

Interviewer: Michonne was so committed to being a loner for so long, and now very much wants to be a part of a community. What specific thing do you think cemented that switch for her?

DG: Season 4, when she chose to find her people rather than go out on her own again. And she felt rewarded by that choice by finding Rick and Carl quickly after. She hasn’t looked back from that choice since.

London Evening Standard: Danai Gurira: ‘My goal is to give voice to the voiceless’, 4/16/15
    Summary:
    DG talks about her play Eclipsed which playing from April 23rd through May 16th in London as well as her childhood in Zimbabwe and of course about Michonne. Also Eclipsed in currently in discussion for a run on Broadway.

Excerpt:
    Gurira tells me proudly about all the different Michonne action figures. She clearly adores playing her: “I have this fantastic character who has complexity and a distance to go in terms of who she is and who she could be. That’s an actor’s dream.”

Michonne was almost silent in the early seasons, a stretch — I suggest — for someone as articulate as Gurira. “Yes, it built up a lot of intensity in my body. It made me step away from myself and find this woman and the wounds that caused her to create a mask of disconnect to the world.”

AMC: The Walking Dead Q&A – Danai Gurira (Michonne), 4/30/15
    Summary:
    AMC interviews DG about Michonne being without Ty's death and being without her katana.

Excerpt:
    Q: Robert Kirkman told us about bringing Michonne’s backstory onto the series. What did you think about her past life?

A:
    I loved being able to portray her as who she was. She was someone who was cultured, alternative, well-read and very smart. She was not conventional at all. I loved being able to show that component of her. It’s such a great contrast of what we saw of her when she first came on the scene.

Examiner.com: 'The Walking Dead' hardcover journals feature Rick, Michonne, Daryl or a walker, 5/5/15
    Summary: TWD releases hardcover journals for Rick, Michonne, Daryl or walker

Excerpt:
    "The Walking Dead" is a pop culture phenomenon, with millions watching each week as the show continues to set ratings record after ratings record. The journals are just another way to show you're a fan of the series. The journals are each themed around a character – Rick Grimes, Daryl Dixon, Michonne and a walker.

Each cover features a full-color photo of the character and each journal has a bit of information specific to the character.

W-ABC: 'The Walking Dead' Star Danai Gurira on 'The View', 5/18/15
    Summary:
    DG on The View. She discusses Michonne, compliments Andy Lincoln, touches on Rick and Michonne's relationship and promotes the Strong Girls campaign she's currently involved with through Bono's charity which intends to combat extreme poverty by uplifting the women in developing countries. People can support the campaign by posting a 'strengthie' (a selfie in Rosie the Riveter's pose) on Twitter and by signing a petition at: http://www.one.org/us/take-action/po...ist/#section-2

Video:
    DG's interview starts at 22:40

Here's a better quality video: http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/vid...vdka0_71d7w5wm

MSNBC Live: ‘Walking Dead’ actress joins campaign to empower women and end poverty, 5/18/15
    Summary: DG expounds on the Strong Girls campaign

Video:http://www.msnbc.com/thomas-roberts/...n-447796291643

2. nat_richonne

nat_richonne The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    In the back pocket of Michonne's tight jeans.
    This is such an awesome thread. I hope to contribute some finds soon.

3. nat_richonne

Walker Pets:
    Here is the video for the Bello Magazine interview that took place on 11/4/14.

video for EW interview on 8/31/14.

#3 nat_richonne, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Walkingonsunshine likes this.
  4. nat_richonne

Walker Pets:
    Video for AMC on set 9/26/14.