1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Daryl and Love: Is Shit Settled?

Discussion in 'Daryl / Norman Reedus' started by Doctor Grimes, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
?

How will Daryl's love life go?

1. Daryl is asexual; he isn't going to settle. He'll be a lone wanderer.

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Daryl is asexual, but he will settle in his own way -- just not with anyone.

22 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Daryl is not asexual, but he will never settle.

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Daryl will realize he loves Carol, and Carol loves him.

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. Daryl will realize he loves Carol, but Carol will reject him, leaving him alone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Daryl will realize he loves another woman in the group (Sasha, Rosita, etc.)

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. Daryl will realize he's gay, and there's the potential for something to develop with Jesus

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. Other

19 vote(s)
    25.3%
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Not only does the battle rage on with regard to who will be Daryl's love interest, but the argument stems so far as to debate about his sexuality.

In the last episode, there were a few hints to indicate (or not indicate ymmv) that Daryl was thinking of settling (or not!). Potentially with Carol (who Daryl referenced).

Do you all think Daryl is? If so, how do you think it's going to play?

Shown likes this.
  2. Armte

Armte I Drink and I Know Things
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    I voted for other, which for me means "I have no idea". The writing has been all over the place for Dixon over the past 6 seasons. If he was ever to have a relationship the only person I see Daryl being with is Carol (maybe with the success of the Richonne ship tptb won't be scared to let another ship set sail). However whenever they speak of Daryl they do mention his lack of sexuality and they have been keeping Daryl and Carol apart for some reason. So yeah my real answer is I have no damm clue what end game is for Daryl.

3. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I have feeling that he will never be with anyone but he will find some sort of happiness. The way I'm seeing Carol's story going, it won't be her, and if not her, who else? Though I would be elated if he had a come to Jesus moment, if you know what I mean... ;)

Shown and Doctor Grimes like this.
  4. Silas

Silas Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I went with other too. I have a hard time imagining Daryl in any sort of intimate relationship but I don't think his character is meant to be asexual. It just so happens I see it that way. Just my thoughts - I think Daryl deeply wants to settle down but likely never will.

5. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I've thought about Daryl's sexuality WAY more than I should and I agree, the writing has really been all over the place. My latest thinking though is that he will remain unattached and his sexuality will not be discussed or explained.

I believe Daryl had an extremely abusive childhood. Who knows what traumas his younger self had to survive? What would growing up in that situation do to a kid? Does he have the wiring to be intimate with someone? Not only physically but emotionally and mentally?

I just don't see it. Daryl has definitely formed bonds with Team Family and certainly with Carol. Carol is probably the closest Daryl will get to having a 'person.' He loves her and she's very important to him but I just don't see it turning intimate.

What boggles my mind is Daryl is the show's cash cow and his character is lusted after by many many fans. Why depict him this way? Did they waste an opportunity or did they just stick to the story they were always going to tell regardless of Norman's popularity?

I am intrigued by Tom's comment on TTD about Jesus perhaps purposely bumping into Daryl in the car in 6.10. Tom said it very playfully but could there be hints of something forming there? Maybe.

But I doubt it.

6. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    "Clutterbuck, what the fuck are you doing in here?" I know.

I agree with @Silas in that I also have a hard time picturing Daryl in a relationship. I just don't see the show every going there with him. I think maybe Mazzara wanted to but I don't think Gimple does. I think he's just going to remain the "unattached bachelor," whether that has to deal with not wanting to piss off fans or something else entirely, I don't know.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  7. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Essentially my answer as well. I honestly don't know. I see Daryl as having so many options, but also none at the same time.

It's obvious there's something between Daryl and Carol -- and it stems deeper than garden-variety friendship. It's not a sibling bond, and it's certainly not "maternal", but it's definitely something different. I'd hesitate to call it sexual either. Maybe a kindred spirits connection. Arguably one could make the soul mates connection. However, there's such rigid walls between the two, intimacy would take a sledgehammer. As for why that's the case? I don't know. Perhaps Daryl just isn't wired that way (asexual or perhaps gay); perhaps both Carol and Daryl are just too wounded from the past to move on right now (but they will once they heal); it's hard to say.

On the other hand, I do know the bulk of Carol and Daryl's development was done under Glen Mazzara's hand -- and he is the one who changed Daryl from the original course of being gay (as was Darabont's goal). So there's definitely the possibility for Daryl's sexuality to swing back toward the original intention: he's a gay man with internalized self-hatred, which could be why they've recently ramped up Daryl's interaction with other non-straight characters (Aaron, Jesus, and now Denise). Perhaps this is to help make Daryl come to a realization about himself.

As for plot trajectory, I do see Carol taking the Kingdom down the road (all the symbolism is there), and for Daryl to become the TV equivalent of Dwight. In this case, Carol would be taking the reigns as a version/remix of comic Michonne. Michonne and Dwight didn't interact hardly at all in the comic-verse -- so this doesn't bode well, but that doesn't mean the show is going that way either. Carol is still Carol. And Daryl is still Daryl -- even if they decide to go the route of merging them with comic characters.

So all that said, I could see Daryl and Carol becoming an item, Daryl embracing his sexuality (being a gay man), or Daryl remaining single and solo. Truthfully, all seem equally as likely in my eyes.

The only thing I don't see is them shoehorning Daryl into a romance with anyone other than Carol (or potentially Aaron or Jesus if they decide to go the route of Daryl being a gay man).

8. Lickidesplit

Lickidesplit C'est la vie
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    There's no doubt in my mind Daryl is Gay. It appears to be some type of tension between him and Paul. TWD had the "Political balls" to unite a Dark-skin black woman with the protagonist of the show. Maybe, they'll have the balls to take a chance with Daryl's character. It would make him a lot more interesting.

9. MidnightRose76

MidnightRose76 Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    I remember Kirkman saying Daryl is not gay, so I went with "Daryl is asexual, but he will settle in his own way - just not with anyone." That's all I've got. He's like this feral animal that just needs to be domesticated, so that's how he could settle. I just don't see Daryl becoming romantic with anyone.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  10. Nightmare

Nightmare FAIRY PRINCESS♚
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Daryl will realize he's gay and something will develop between him and Aaron. Sorry Eric.

11. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I didn't even know this was here lol. After seeing the deep scars on his back in S3 Daryl was severely physically/emotionally abused half his life and he is just broken. He can't get close to anyone bc of his past which is completely normal behavior of someone who's been abused. I think that's why when some want him dead, I just want to hug him lol... I think he feels not worthy or something of love bc he's never had it not even from his parents. His self esteem seems low maybe that's why he doesn't care about showers lol (I wish he did). I do think he's straight. I never shipped him with Carol bc her age was just not compatible, I never shipped him with Beth but in the funeral scene it was tense the way they were looking at each other.....I still ship him with Rosita in a season or 2 bc she's broken too right now and I think they can help each other :)

Audrey and Katbird like this.
  12. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    With Carol or no one!!! And Carol is not to old for Daryl. That is crazy talk.

Manasicaroltwd and yuna like this.
  13. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

LOL I'm sorry :lol:

To make it up I'll say the one time I did laugh was when they were climbing down from the bus and he said go down, and she said oh you first or idk something with a sexual inneuendo lol and he said stop it lol. It was funny :roflmao:

zahira and Katbird like this.
  14. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That was funny. I don't thank anyone had ever said that kinda thing to him. I always love awkward Daryl.

Katbird, yuna and DixonGrimes like this.
  15. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Well Gimple said (I believe, don't quote me cause I don't have receipts, just memory) Daryl is asexual, but straight, which is confusing, but i get it. I take that as Daryl isn't emotionally able to have sex, but is attracted to women. I like the Rosita ship that has formed. I haven't discredited Caryl, but honestly I would need to watch their interactions again to see if I pick up a romantic vibe. It's like people that never saw Richonne coming because they weren't tuned into them on that level. But, I do have to say that Carol and Daryl could never be together as they are now, or Daryl with anyone else at the moment. Daryl and Caryl are emotional wrecks and it would be too misery loves company angst sex. Not a joyous union of souls like Richonne. Not every couple has to be like Richonne, but you can't have both partners off the deep end.

Glory and DixonGrimes like this.
  16. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think that is why I love Caryl so much is that they are so different than every other couple on the show. They have a deep bond that is special to just them. If it never goes any farther than it is now I will be ok with it. It is beautiful and unique and it is just special to a lot of people including the media. And that makes me happy.

sharky, Manasicaroltwd and yuna like this.
  17. yuna

yuna Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Trisha Grimes I still believe Caryl will happen many people in the media support are ship I think in the end we will win.
    And Caryl makes money for AMC they know that don't forget AMC loves to troll us remember what they did on talking dead on the finale they put picture of Carol in the front of Daryl wallet. It's not over yet for us as long as Caryl popular we still have a chance.

Manasicaroltwd and Tisha Grimes like this.
  18. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yep I will never ever give up. I will love them until the very end.

yuna likes this.
  19. yuna

yuna Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    We are not a team delusional are ship is not a crackship I will keep on saying it as long as we have support we still have a chance to go canon. I like that Caryl is different from the other ships I think that's what makes it special to us.

20. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That is why I love it too. We are so unique and when they get together it won't be out of the blue like some of the ships lately.

yuna likes this.