1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Daryl and Love: Is Shit Settled?

Discussion in 'Daryl / Norman Reedus' started by Doctor Grimes, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
?

How will Daryl's love life go?

1. Daryl is asexual; he isn't going to settle. He'll be a lone wanderer.

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Daryl is asexual, but he will settle in his own way -- just not with anyone.

24 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Daryl is not asexual, but he will never settle.

9 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Daryl will realize he loves Carol, and Carol loves him.

9 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. Daryl will realize he loves Carol, but Carol will reject him, leaving him alone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Daryl will realize he loves another woman in the group (Sasha, Rosita, etc.)

10 vote(s)
    12.2%
  7. Daryl will realize he's gay, and there's the potential for something to develop with Jesus

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
  8. Other

19 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I love Daryl Dixon :hearts:

[​IMG]

Katbird likes this.
  2. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    As a Daryl fan, I can COMPLETELY agree with this. A single Daryl is a profitable one, so any relationship he has would have to be ambiguous so as to not blur the lines. There is NO WAY Daryl is getting a relationship, no matter how much I feel it should have been wih Carol back in S3-S4. All hints of any type of relationship with anyone, gay or straight is up for debate, but I still maintain, it will not sadly happen. The "lone wolf" mantra that Daryl has been sporting since forever, will continue to appease many in his fan base. JMO..

3. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Daryl is never going to be happy.

4. WDfan

WDfan Walker Bait

Walker Pets:
    Maybe he's just not interested in a sexual relationship right now. I don't think I'd be in the mood in this world either. Everyone looks like they smell like the inside of a dumpster.

5. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think that part of the issue with Daryl's character development is his lack of a love life. Humans are not meant to be alone, we are social creatures. I know there are asexual people out there but that doesn't mean that they don't have romantic attachments. That would be such an awesome way to develop Daryl's character and provide so much material for him. To see him navigate a relationship and to overcome his fears and work through some of his angst.

Glory, Katbird and lovingdead like this.
  6. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

It's probably the only thing at this point that would make him interesting to me as a character again. They've beaten this bad ass loner thing into the ground and haven't had anywhere to go with it since Beth died.

Glory and ReeciePiecey like this.
  7. candi18z

candi18z Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    At this point, I do not think that tptb have any intention of changing anything about Daryl. The character is being held hostage by AMC and some of his rabid fans. The showrunners hands are tied when it comes to Daryl. So, with Daryl it is going to be the same type storylines over and over with little to no character growth. Daryl will never have an endgame romance or get married. Daryl is meant to be the loner hero biker.

8. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I am just under the impression that Daryl isn't going to wind up with anyone. I think obviously the possibility exists due to a few quotes Scott Gimple has made that allude to Daryl eventually opening up:

“I would say that Daryl has already found familial love,” said Gimple. “If you’re talking romantic love, I’m going to say, ‘I think so.’” (source)

“We know all sorts of things about the characters that we haven’t revealed, [But] We’re not holding back information on Daryl’s sexuality as any sort of big reveal. The fact that there’s still a question as to what Daryl’s orientation is in Season 5 absolutely speaks to Daryl’s character; he is a very guarded, very closed-off individual in a lot of ways. We have been able to see him ever so slowly open up and show the other characters aspect by aspect as to what makes him tick. That’s been a very satisfying journey for all of us on the creative side to portray. [And] he’s still on that journey. This is a character who is going to continue to grow closer to the other characters, [and] let his guard down, and let them see just who he is, in every way.” (source)​

But for the most part, it sounds like it's not on the radar. As Gale Anne Hurd has said:

“Well any tidbit about Daryl’s character is bound to have that kind of reaction, so no I don’t think that [“straight” reveal] surprised me. The truth is that with Daryl, you can see how sensitive he really is so when he lets anyone get close — the way he let Beth get close, and he has let Carol get close — it makes him feel vulnerable. So I can see that it would be difficult for him to go that next step to have a physical relationship with someone.
    (source)​

She even said fans will never be happy with what they do:

“Daryl’s interesting because there are the people who want him to hook up with Carol, there are the people who want him to hook up with Beth, there are the people who never wanted him to hook up because he’s got to save himself for them. Regardless of what we do, I don’t think we’re ever going to make anyone happy.” (source)​

Robert Kirkman admitted a few things as well, especially along the line of Daryl being somewhat asexual on the show:

“We play Daryl Dixon as being somewhat asexual on the show.” (source)

"There’s certainly more couples. I wouldn’t say that the entire group is starting to pair off, but there’s been some hints. I think if you go back and watch season 4, you’ll see some indication as to relationships that are forming here and there. Sadly, I would say that Daryl’s situation remains somewhat ambiguous, or should I not say that? […] That’s a powder keg for my Twitter feed, I tell you. But yeah, a lot of romance this season. I’m going to regret answering that question.” (source)​

Norman as also expressed he doesn't particularly see Daryl falling into a romance -- or at least he thinks it's not important:

You know people are now asking about a romance.

It’s crazy the amount of Internet stuff. I don’t think that it’s so much a romantic thing like he’s trying to bone Beth, you know what I mean? It’s not about “shipping” these people and “shipping” those people. You know, “Who’s gonna hook up with so-and-so?” It’s not a reality show. It’s a television show based on emotion and the end of times and finding companionship. It’s not so much about who’s gonna bone who, or who needs a haircut. People are getting off the track here a little bit. [The characters] are just trying to find people who aren’t trying to kill them, who they can hang out with. They’re finding out who they are through other people. I get that all the time.

[High-pitched voice] “She’s only 18 and Daryl’s of indeterminate age and they’re gonna bone in a coffin!” It’s not really about that. We’re running for our lives, just waiting to take a breath and feel okay for five minutes. I mean, when Daryl says, “You know,” and Beth is like, “Oh,” it could be a hint of a romantic thing. Or maybe she’s taking it that way and he didn’t mean it that way. He never answers that question. But she’s sparking a hope and a feeling in him. It’s not about erections. (Laughs.) I get that all the time, it would blow your mind how much I deal with that. It’s completely crazy.

I think Daryl’s the only one on The Walking Dead who gets that reaction.

It’s only with Daryl! It’s like, “Will he hook up with Carol? Carol’s too old for him.” What the fuck, who cares? “Beth is too young for him.” Who cares? I mean, Shane was the guy who threw you up against the tree, not Daryl. Or Rick, or Steven [Yeun, who plays Glenn.] Daryl’s the guy who’s just trying to fit in his own skin. You know, I was watching True Detective last night and it was talking about, like, Woody Harrelson, who’s cheating on his wife and how he’s a bad father and a bad parent. People would say, “Oh my god, he’s awful.” But he’s a character in a story. It’s interesting because he has all these flaws.
    (source)

“There’s definitely some tension there [between Beth and Daryl]. The thing about it is, she’s a woman. She is not a little girl. Everyone grows up real fast in this world. Daryl, being a man, starting out was really child-like. There is an emotion; he makes a decision. A sort of distinctive honesty that kept him mentally in a non-grown-up situation. He had a mother that kept him down. He never really emotionally grew. He never learned how to be around people. And, then you have Beth who is the little sister who’s growing up really fast. Meanwhile she’s not a kid. She was a young farm girl. So, there is definitely some tension going on. It’s not just one layer of tension; it’s a whole bunch of tension. Circumstantial tension. It’s a very volatile episode. Stuff goes on for all of us, not just these two characters, but for all of us.”
    (source)​

Whether Daryl ends up in a romantic relationship with Carol or not? As that's the relationship most commonly peddled? I just don't see it happening. The writers have deliberately caused distance between them, NR said Carol and Daryl were on different paths (after comparing the feeling he has for his friend/co-worker to how Daryl feels for Carol, which isn't a good sign) --

IGN: I do want to talk to you a little bit about Daryl and Carol, two of my very favorite characters on the show -- especially together, largely because you and Melissa McBride have such good chemistry. Obviously they have been sent on very separate storylines and changed a lot since they were last together. So assuming Daryl gets out of the Savior's compound, what are you most looking forward to in a reunion between those two characters? Do you think, if they do see each other again, they'll be as good a support system for one another considering how much they have changed?

Reedus:
    I adore Melissa as much as Daryl adores Carol. It's great every time we get to do stuff together. I think it's pretty certain that they'll run into each other again, hopefully. But they're on different paths right now. Carol's doing her own thing. She's running away from the violence and the killing and doesn't want to be a part of it, and Daryl wants to rip Negan's and Dwight's faces off, so they're running in two different directions. It's great when Melissa and I have scenes together. I just like hanging out with her. I think she's great, and doing anything with her is fun.
    (source)​

It just doesn't seem meant to be. I think there might've been the possibility at one point, but that's gone. Plus? All the Carol/Daryl moments, most have been hand-waved or brushed off.

The "I'll go down first" scene in "Seed":

There was a scene between Daryl and Carol in which she asked him he if he wanted to “screw around.” I wasn’t sure whether we were supposed to think that is something they might have started doing in the interim, or whether she was just joking.
    Robert Kirkman
    : I think that was kind of a playful way of hinting that they have a very close relationship, but neither one [is] all that necessarily interested in an intimate relationship at this point. I mean, it was kind of a nod to that but also a way of showing that neither of these two characters take that seriously.
    (source)

Speaking of Carol, she hit on Daryl (Norman Reedus). Is she just paling around with him or is there a little truth behind the joke?
    Robert Kirkman
    : The purpose of that scene more than anything else is to show that these two are very close friends and they are joking about this perceived romance between them but I don't think either of them look at each other in that light. They're definitely good friends and very close and it doesn't seem like anything like that is on the horizon.
    (source)​

The "No Sanctuary" reunion hug:

Norman Reedus: "[Daryl and Carol] reuniting was interesting. I tried to do that like a little kid. You don't want to play the romantic 'run to me' thing. I tried to put my head on her shoulder and collapsed on her shoulder. It was like a little kid finding his sister." (source)​

And Carol and Daryl in general as a concept has been downplayed. Reedus said this about the relationship -- and mentioned that he's even discussed it with Scott Gimple.

Carol has continued to be a force of her own within Alexandria. Could you see a romantic future for Daryl and Carol?
    Norman Reedus
    : I've had lots of talks with Scott about it. I like our relationship how it is. We don't have to make out to be who we are. We're kindred spirits; there's a brother-sister bond there that's almost stronger than a lovey-dovey bond. I'm not totally against it, but I'm not totally for it. It's tricky. Once you do that, it's there forever. To be honest, I'm not begging for it, and I'm not opposed to it.
    (source)​

Kirkman said it's possible Caryl is a "no-burn" and said that they connected because they're damaged people, but they're "very different.":

There’s every chance that it’s actually a no-burn and these two people don’t get together. Daryl and Carol are very different people. These are two very damaged individuals, and that leads them to connect in a very serious emotional way. But it still remains to be seen whether that’s actually going to spiral into a romance.”
    (source)​

Kirkman also referred to Carol and Daryl's relationship being ambiguous in the past tense:

TVLINE | Has Daryl developed more than brotherly feelings for Beth?
    Kirkman
    : It’s possible. Daryl is very protective and he’s formed very strong bonds with a lot of characters, Carol included. And now Beth. Whether or not that would eventually grow into a romantic relationship we’re keeping ambiguous, much like the relationship between Daryl and Carol was fairly ambiguous. If Beth ever comes back, hopefully, we’ll find a definitive answer to that.
    (source)​

Greg Nicotero acted reluctant to add much commentary on Daryl and Carol as a pairing:

"I think the chances are better now that Beth is, sadly, out of the picture," "Walking Dead" boss Greg Nictotero said. "But the truth of the matter is that Carol is definitely in a different place now than she was when they were friends. You don't really get the sense that they're as close as they used to be. That kind of banter that Carol had with Daryl had in previous seasons, seems to be diminished a bit because of everything that she's gone through. I just think it's all really changed Carol. She's much more hardened than she was in previous seasons." (source)​

Melissa McBride has also dismissed the idea on more than one occasion:

Access: Laurie Holden told me that she thinks it already is Carol-Daryl. You don’t have to have Carol and Daryl makeout for them to be Carol-Daryl.

Melissa: And I absolutely agree with her and I’m so glad that she said that because I think the same thing and I have thought the same thing… Like, look at it this way, they already are, just by virtue of wanting something like the kiss or whatever… But I think people don’t see it that way ‘til there’s a physical confirmation, if you will. But… they’re friends, they care for one another, they nurture one another, there’s an easement between these two, there’s this beautiful room that they give each other and then they call each other out of it they need to. And so, who knows? Who knows what happened or didn’t happen in those eight months that we didn’t see them. They could have already been there and went, ‘Nah, you know, let’s just be pals’ (laughs), or who knows?

Access: Norman always says, ‘I want to play Daryl like he has no game whatsoever and have her make the first move.’ So if there is physical contact to be made do you think Carol has recovered enough from her own abuse to do that — she obviously said, ‘Do you want to go fool around?’ at one point, but to make that touch or something beyond the 18th century style situation?

Melissa: Yeah, I think so and I think a lot of her playfulness and teasing with Daryl is also a way for her to talk herself more into that path — not just with Daryl, but with herself as a woman, to feel that again about herself, to feel that, ‘I’m someone that’s desirable,’ because for so long she didn’t and whether that’s a conscious thing on her part — and I don’t think that it is — I think it’s just sort of that, again, that thing coming to the surface. She’ll throw those little things out there. It’s almost like when you already have an answer to something, but you keep talking about it to someone because you want to talk yourself into it. You know what I mean?
    (source)

You know all the Carol and Daryl shippers were freaking out when you guys started to lie down on that bed together, as innocent as it was. You knew people were going to freak out when that happened, right?
    Yeah, even seeing the Daryl and Carol shippers making suggestions on where that little teaser was going when they first showed it. Some hopeful comments, but I’m afraid they may have been disappointed.

Do you get it, all the people who want to see that happen and are so invested in that relationship?
    Yeah, I get it from a fan point of view. I get it. But there is a certain part of that fandom that reads a lot of the fan fiction, and fan fiction goes there. I’ve read one fan fiction ever, and it was very lovely and sweet. It wasn’t the smutty stuff. But I’ve heard about it. It’s fun though. But there are so many ships — so many ships sailing. They’re going to conk into one another, and it can get a little nasty and that kind of makes me sad. They can get nasty to one another. It’s just a TV show. No need to get nasty to each other. Especially because nothing has happened.
    (source)

"It’s only odd in that nothing has ever been substantiated so a lot of it I feel like is the creation of the fans. There’s obviously some kind of chemistry between those two characters and part of that is that they have a lot in common as far as where they come from and the struggles that they’ve each experienced and tried to overcome and continue to in that post-apocalyptic world and they support one another because they understand that in one another. It’s like, let’s see how many steps forward we can get and if one goes backwards, one's there to pull them forward again. Keep an eye out for each other in that way.

So it’s a neat, sort of still-unspoken thing and it’s lovely to me, it’s very sweet. But no, this phenomenon thing, this whole shipping thing...the fans are just so incredibly passionate and it’s something they want to happen, or they’ve seen things that...I don’t know! I love it that they’re engaged but no, when you think of early on and then you see today how fervent people are about these hook-ups, I never would have seen that coming either."
    (source)​

But I guess in the end it's a wait and see game. Anything is possible. I just think the massive amounts of commentary indicate it isn't going to happen.

9. Narna

Narna Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    Wow. Thank you for this post! I agree entirely.
    I haven't read so many interviews about Caryl, and I totally assumed it won't happen. They have a beautiful bond, but I never saw anything that would suggest more. And Daryl seems asexual.

Unfortunately I think another reason he will never get a lover is also partly because of the fandom. Tptb cannot please everyone and the upcoming partner of Daryl might even get backlash and threats (:rolleyes:), so instead they are using Daryl for any kind of relationship where the fans' imagination can go wild. If it was straight out said he is with someone maybe fewer people would fantasize about him... I guess. Which is a pretty sad reason to do this btw.

But I actually love Daryl as asexual, it fits him pretty well.

Glory, lovingdead and Doctor Grimes like this.
  10. Valerie

Valerie Professional procrastinator....
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The more the story advances the more I feel Daryl will not get together with anyone either, maybe at the end of the series but not anytime soon.

Glory likes this.
  11. zahira

zahira Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    1: Daryl will never has a love interest
    2: Daryl will maybe be with Rosita
    3: Daryl will mayeb be with Lydia
    i think only those 3 things could happen

Glory likes this.
  12. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    What. :dale2:

13. zahira

zahira Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    yes i can't see carl being with Lydia now he is with Enid . So maybe Daryl will be with a Lydia older than the comics of course:lol:

Glory likes this.
  14. Danaisbestie

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Wow, I've never read all of these. I'm wondering how the shippers keep their morale up because Norman seems very against it and his quote about the Terminus hug I mean:omg:

Plus those Kirkman quotes :shane:

Then Nicotero even diminished the friendship:tara:

Thinking back on what I read about Richonne precanon...I feel like they always left it at who knows or we'll see type of answers. A lot of these quotes are more like no, nothing is there at all:denise:

I'm still not convinced he'll be alone though, he said in an interview that he was "getting over that wall" I really think they are going with Sherry or Rosita :ogg:

Glory, ReeciePiecey and Katbird like this.
  15. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    They did. I have a collection of all the pre-Richonne interview quotes. None of them were negative at all, but always in the vein of "We'll see." Andy was especially notorious for going hard for Richonne. He was a shipper mess. :lol:

16. Danaisbestie

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Do you have those posted somewhere, I'd love to read them. Since I wasn't a part of thr fandom, I missed out on some of the run up to Richonne:lori:

17. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I can post them in a thread for you. :beardsmile:

Danaisbestie likes this.
  18. Danaisbestie

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Thanks Doc!!:yay:

19. Audrey

Audrey Walker Bait

Walker Pets:
    I see him with Rosita. I have for awhile. She will be the one to talk him into a haircut.

Glory likes this.
  20. KatanaQueen

KatanaQueen Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Receipts are a beautiful thing.