1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Deleted Scene Explains How Saviors Attacked

Discussion in '7x05: Go Getters' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Tom Payne revealed some scenes were cut in 7.05 that explained a few things.

After watching that scene unfold, I'm sure many people were left with a couple questions. Why were the gates unsecured and open? Why didn't any of the other Hilltop residents come out and help?

Fortunately for us, Rodney Ho of AJC's Radio & TV Talk chatted with Jesus himself, Tom Payne, and he explained that scenes were left on the cutting room floor that would've filled in those blanks.

Payne did clear up a couple of things that were not readily apparent in the episode. He said the Saviors were able to do what they did by caputuring the Hilltop guards (who don’t have guns) and tying them up. That scene was shot but the editors didn’t like it after the fact. (“It looked like a barbershop quartet all strung up,” he said.) The Saviors also locked all the residents inside their homes to make it more difficult for them to deal with the walkers. Plus, most of the Hilltop residents are not trained to fight. So Simon, the Savior leader/Negan understudy, was genuinely surprised when he came back the next day and found everyone alive and well and the walkers all gone and cleared out. - AJC's Radio & TV Talk

Source: Comicbook.com

That would've been nice to know. Seriously, between this and the car chase from 7.03, the editing this season leaves something to be desired.

2. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:

Terrible editing. You shouldn't have to go back and explain things from the episodes.

3. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't know why they thought that was something to leave out.

4. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The biggest question in my house was "where is everyone?" After watching that, my husband told me if Hilltop is part of this war against Negan, TF is bound to lose.

Katbird likes this.
  5. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I noticed a bunch of people tied up and hanging off the wall when I re-watched the show. So I got that they tied up the guards on the wall. But how do you get through the entire town and lock all the doors without anyone knowing. Is the Hilltop that inept at this this far into the apocalypse? I know why they wanted the scene (show Maggie being a leader/bad ass while Gregory slinks away), but it was sloppily put together and kind of underwhelming in my opinion.

If everyone is locked in their trailers and homes and can't get out, zombies can't really get in either. Where is the actual danger?

ReeciePiecey likes this.
  6. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Seriously after watching this I knew that no way would the folks at the Hilltop be able to help TF/ASZ fight against Negan. As it is I don't think everyone at ASZ is ready either.

7. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    That was not something to cut out. I don't understand this type of decision making. After 7 seasons they think the audience will be so excited by Maggie driving a tractor that we wont notice that the scenario made no sense? :dale2:

8. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    Yep, this was really my only criticism of the episode. I was like "Huh? Where are all of the Hilltop people? Why are they not outside helping with all of the fire, music and chaos going on?!" I am ALL for my girl Maggie being a bad ass with the tractor, but the scene didn't make sense in the context because we were all like "wait, what?! Where is everybody?" They should have kept that scene in for continuity and added realism. Dumb move to cut this important aspect out.

coffeebean likes this.
  9. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    How did they lock them in from the outside when it locks from the inside? Did they superglue the doors shut? And how did anyone not hear them? I know it was night but it's really quiet and I'm sure with it being the ZA, some people are light sleepers or insomniacs.

Suspension of disbelief, I'm guessing. :daleeye: :sadmaggie:

ALDGRichonneLover likes this.
  10. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I have to be honest. I miss so much on the first watch. Either the scenes are too dark or too fast or the dialogue is wonky and spoken too softly or in an accent I don't understand. So I have to re-watch with close captions the next day to catch stuff. I can't even imagine how the GA copes with this show sometimes!

Regarding the Saviors invasion, I chalked it up to creepy factor and, in the moment, it worked because I thought- wow these dudes are stealth ninjas along with being motorcycle club assholes- and then caught on pretty quickly that the residents had been locked in their homes. It might have helped to clarify matters, and reduce the criticism of the residents, if we had seen some of the people banging on their windows or trying to get out of their homes.

But, yeah, the editing choices have been questionable for a couple of seasons now. If people can't remember main character names, they're certainly not going to take the time to figure this shit out.

box5angel likes this.