1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Did you dig Carol/Tobin?

Discussion in '6x12: Not Tomorrow Yet' started by Doctor Grimes, Mar 6, 2016.

?

What did you think of Carol/Tobin?

1. I liked it!

30 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Eh, don't care one way or the other

17 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. Didn't like it.

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Don't know

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. day dreamer

day dreamer Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    We focus on it so much more than we should. lol. I always assumed Grimes and Caryl (and Noah before he died) were in one, GREATM+Sasha in the other. Though now Tara is moved out, and I assume Gabriel lives at the church.

Ship Verse and yuna like this.
  2. birdnmouse

birdnmouse Guest

I think she moved out. The Grimes/Michonne kitchen has grey tile backsplash. I'm pretty sure the kitchen she was in had white tile. That threw me at first, too.

3. Nightmare

Nightmare FAIRY PRINCESS♚
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I liked it a lot. I always had a feeling Tobin liked her, and although they barely had moments, he's a sweet guy, seems easy to talk to and Carol and him are cute.

4. Flower1petals

Flower1petals Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    I also feel like this. And I think it happened after her banishment. The relationship between her and TF just isn't the same. She loves them and would absolutely anything for them, but the bond is broken.

PB Protein Bar, laisla and Armte like this.
  5. hewontgo

hewontgo Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    It was ... "whatever"
    Good for her, she deserves to have some fun
    I am totally in for a Morgan/Carol pairing

6. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I don't know, I like it. It was sweet, Tobin is a gentleman. He was being nice to her, she found some comfort in him, I agree she was trying to feel something. I feel sorry for Carol, I think she's still too broken inside and needs some heal, she's still too conflicted about everything she's done and who she's become... It's like if she is always so worried about protecting everybody else and kind of forgets about herself, but, at the same time, I see her trying to isolate herself because she doesn't want to get hurt anymore. So, maybe this connection with him can help her in some way. I hope so. It's good to see her emotional side being explored and that she's finally facing her demons.

7. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    I agree, plus we seem to forget that she tried to leave team family but Daryl and the Grady story stopped her. Since her return from banishment it has been one Carol save after another (tyresse and the girls, terminus, saving Beth, Alexandria wolves, gun cabal). I really think Carol is fried and just done with the lot of them (she loves them but no longer wants the den mother role, which was great of Tobin to mention) she kind of speaks to them like children when annoyed. She already said the alexandrains were children that like good stories, TF did not realize they fell In the same category. LOL

8. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    And she is one who asked them to keep quiet about what Morgan did. So she didn't only defend him but protect him also. She doesn't agree with the way he see things but she gets it and understand it. He also seems to be the only one who understand how deeply the things Carol had to do is affecting her.

They don't agree with each other but they get each other.

ThinkingOutLoud, Michele and laisla like this.
  9. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I actually think it happened before the banishment. I think it happened the moment she decided to kill Karen and David (?) in order to protect them. That's when she realized what it meant to be in the group. I think that's why she didn't fight Rick when he banished her. She might have actually felt a sense of relief at being away from them.

10. Michele

Michele Code Poet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I liked the kiss. Daryl clearly isn't in the emotional state to make a commitment. He even asked Abe last week if shit settled, so based on Tobin interest in Carol when they first showed up in ASZ, I can see them talking more in the time jump and become closer.
    So for me it's not out of left field or rushed we don't always have to see a play by play of how two people connect and evolve.

PB Protein Bar likes this.
  11. Consigliere

Consigliere Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I thought they were sweet...I really did.

12. Dregel

Dregel Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    I liked it. Tobin have been a favorite from the start. He is kind, warm , gentle and stable. Carol deserve nothing less.

13. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm pretty sure that was the kitchen in the second house, not the main house.

14. richonneromance

richonneromance Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    If there's one thing I really dislike (aside from canon Richonne) is Gimple changing the entire show format around to suit the comic. The show should've been allowed to exist in its own right the way FTWD is.

15. Kwiff

Kwiff Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    I liked it.

16. cupsofmarmalade

cupsofmarmalade Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    I liked it. The actors had decent chemistry, there was a time skip, it was a casual kiss not an admission of love, and Tobin is a good guy. Most importantly it didn’t feel awkward and out of place in the episode. And I think it fits with who Carol is and what her conflicts are at the moment (but I do understand Carylers pains).

The last we saw of Carol was her killing the wolf in 6.09. Everything that’s happened so far since season 5 has been to show that Carol (like Morgan) has a difficult relationship with killing. She kills (unlike Morgan) but it’s not something she’s fully at peace with. She’s not like Rick, who by now can shoot someone in the face and then go to dinner without batting an eyelash. She’s not like Glenn either, who up until recently hadn’t killed anyone even when it could be justified. Carol wouldn’t hesitate, but it would play on her mind later on.

Another thing that factors into her relationship with killing is that she killed two people at the prison (her first real deliberate murders, so to speak) with good intentions–but it didn’t stop the virus–so she essentially she took two innocent lives that she didn’t have to take, and got banished for it. So she’s trying to come to terms with the rights and wrongs of what she did (when she’s banished), but then what makes it ironic is that she then has to actually kill a sick person–a child no less (which also factors in with how she was trying to overcompensate for her perceived sins with Sofia with the kids at the prison. Which also links in with how she was with Sam). When she takes it on herself to kill Lizzie, part of her mind frame must have been, ‘well I’ve already killed two innocent people because I thought they would spread an illness, so what gives me the right to balk at this task’. But she internalises these conflicts and keeps them hidden from TF and people around her in general.

Sam: What happens if you can’t live with it?
    Carol: I told you, it eats you up.

Sam: If you kill people, do you turn into one of the monsters?
    Carol: The only thing that keeps you from becoming a monster is killing. (Carol isn't sure of the answer herself)

Morgan:You had a child right? A husband? I didn’t want to hurt you, I just had to stop you.
    Carol:You saved him for you, not for us. If it was for us you would’ve–I should’ve killed you. I should’ve.
    Morgan: You can’t.

We then have her bust up with Morgan and we’re left with her killing the wolf. But this wolf ended up turning a new leaf right at the end (but Carol killed him anyway). So she’s left with the fact that Morgan had some kind of a point after all, and she’s taken a life that, in that moment, she didn’t have to take. Which brings us to the Carol whose defending Morgan after the time skip and her conversation with Rosita.

She’s trying to find some kind of path and is trying to process how she should be (looking at notes of people she’s killed. putting the cookie on Sam's grave). She’s doing things that come naturally to her and that she likes doing (and that were also part of her pre-ZA persona), baking and taking care of people. But this time it’s an extension of the toughness the ZA has given her rather than the facade she presented when they first came to ASZ. But…

Carol: Rick, what’s going on?
    Rick: We’re gonna have to fight.

It’s clear from her face that she’s tired of fighting. And Tobin is something related to the moment before Rick tells her they have to fight. He’s also separated from all the things she’s done before ASZ and it fits in with her longing to find some sort of path.

#56 cupsofmarmalade, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  17. FoxC

FoxC Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I liked it. It was sweet. I liked that she was getting attention but I am seeing a growing divide between her and TF.