1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Does Negan Have to Die?

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by TakemetoRick, Jan 5, 2017.

1. TakemetoRick

TakemetoRick Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I don't know where the best place to post this is, so if there's a better place, let me know. My question is whether people think that Negan has to die on the TV show for the AOW storyline to succeed? I've seen many people suggest that Rick or Michonne should kill Negan and I worry that people (GA, especially) will be bitterly disappointed if Negan is spared after everything he's done.

My personal opinion is that Negan will not be sentenced to death and that sparing his life is a reflection of Rick's season-spanning character arc coming full circle. Specifically, making a decision to keep Negan alive life signifies the resolution of Rick's struggle to maintain his humanity and morality despite the challenges he's faced.

I also think Negan is a fascinating character that RK loves and wants to keep around.

What do others think?

DavieVC, Denie39 and MamaGrimes like this.
  2. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Agreed.
    Rick was becoming more brutal being on the road, but in Alexandria, he is trying to maintain his humanity and not go trigger-happy every time. Which is why he spared Jesus's life. Brutal Rick would have put a bullet in him faster than he could say Jesus.
    So maybe keeping Negan alive will be his way of punishing/rehabilitating him as well as redeeming himself as a compassionate, level-headed leader who isn't simply always out for blood. Rather, he wants to be a leader who is capable of building a new world for himself, his family and his group of people.
    I will say, people are not going to understand his stand, and I am sure, will blame him for going too soft, not having guts etc. I have a feeling that will come especially from people who loved Glenn. If Rick does spare Negan's life, I will look at it as character development of Rick Grimes. Also, in Negan's defense, he did spare Carl's life and feed him spagetti:laugh:

3. Mullet of Denial

Mullet of Denial Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    You know, up until S7 started, I was all for the show staying true to the GN with the AOW story line. However, TV Negan is a mess. It will take a writer's room miracle for him to not be, so I'd be okay with him getting the axe at the end of TV AOW. Give a major arc a bit of a twist. I still love the idea of Rick sparing his life because it's such a massive character development moment, so maybe they could shake it up and have someone else off Negan?

coffeebean, Madness, msbold1 and 7 others like this.
  4. Ship Verse

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think TV Negan has to die, but I don't think he will. Gimple is too comics despite a natural flow in the story. TV Negan is above and beyond comic Negan and seeing that I don't see how we can swallow this man being alive. It's going to disappoint a lot of people. Rick has already shown his humanity, but he's gonna eat it again because comics. It's gonna be a mess.

5. Lolololove3

Lolololove3 Den Mother
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I want him dead. Unless they starve his ass out Eastman style.

Madness, msbold1 and DavieVC like this.
  6. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne "You can smile now"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think Negan should die. He should not be spared and he should be shown as much mercy has he showed his victims (none at all). Rick made him a promise and he should keep it. He can spare someone else just not Negan.

#6 Ms.J.Richonne, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    coffeebean, Madness, msbold1 and 3 others like this.
  7. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Wouldn't mind Rick keeping him alive in the jail then Carl sneaks in and slits his throat anyway.

It's like people have forgot he murdered Glenn and Abe

Madness, msbold1, DavieVC and 4 others like this.
  8. MrsG

MrsG Licking Rick clean.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Negan must die. :dienegan:

9. Jimmy

Jimmy Bitter Bunker Husband
    Staff Member Graphic Designer Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    He's a torture to watch, especially the way JDM is portraying him. Negan needs to go.

10. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Negan needs to die.

I don't even think killing Negan goes against Rick regaining his humanity. We live in a society right now where people like Negan are sentenced to death and Rick was once a part of the justice system (even if it is a small role), even in the good old days. Have we all lost our humanity? To keep him alive after everything he's done goes against every last thing Team Family has learned for the past seven years. Negan steals, rapes, and murders. There's compassion and then there's just plain stupid, and keeping Negan alive falls into the latter category.

My hate of Negan isn't even the only reason I wanted him to die. Hell, I even recognize Shane needed to die and I loved him. I just feel like I've watched this group struggle with who to kill and not kill for seven dang years and if they manage to screw this one up? :ogg: Nope. There's no rehabilitating Negan.

With that said, I'm not sure how it'll play out. Any word on JDM's contracts? My gut says TPTB would want to keep Negan around, exactly like the comics, but I'm not sure if JDM is down to play the role for that long since TWD has a way of dragging their feet.

11. Deep_Ricking

Deep_Ricking I like it raw.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    He killed my favorite character. I would accept nothing but his death. If they come up with a reason to keep him alive, I don't think Richonne could keep me invested.

#11 Deep_Ricking, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    DavieVC likes this.
  12. Ms.J.Richonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I like the way you think. As long as the end result is Negan dying, I am all in.

13. Ms.J.Richonne

Patron

Walker Pets:

Yes and more YES.

14. Niolle

Niolle Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    I heard he has a 3 year contract (seasons 7, 8 and 9) And JDM said Negan's story in the show can last at least 4 years.

DavieVC and Silas like this.
  15. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Oh yeah. I somehow managed to block that memory out.

Madness and DavieVC like this.
  16. TakemetoRick

Walker Pets:
    Even though it is legal, some people would argue that the death penalty is always wrong (which is a whole other debate). What I was getting at is the idea that Negan represents a choice for Rick and TF about the future of civilization and how they choose to handle violent or dangerous people going forward isn't necessarily constrained by the past. i question whether they need to kill Negan if they have reasonable alternatives. I feel like the "eye for an eye" or retributive approach is only one way, but it's not inevitable. They've had to do terrible things to survive, but TF wants more than just survival. They have an opportunity to start over and do things differently.

DavieVC likes this.
  17. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I understand that POV because you are right, not everyone is on board with the good old fashioned death penalty. Buuuut, I don't think choosing to kill Negan moves Rick backwards in his humanity in anyway. Especially because they don't have any good viable options, IMO. This isn't the current world. Negan won't be locked in a high security jail cell on the tax payer's dollars. He'll be in a home made cell, in their community, an extra mouth to feed and extra men to guard him (ideally). Take someone like Pete - I could see them deciding to do something else with him, no matter how gross he was, but Negan?! I feel wholeheartedly they can kill him and still do more than just survive. In fact, by not killing him, they're risking their survival (bare minimum survival, much less the good parts like what they're aiming for).

I just really feel like if TPTB decide to show Rick regaining his humanity by keeping Negan alive it'll be a huge mistake and most of the GA (and fandom) will be like "wttttf?". Why did I just sit through seven years of them learning what it takes to keep their hearts beating only for them to keep Negan alive?

18. TakemetoRick

Walker Pets:
    I understand your POV also. I don't necessarily think killing Negan would be wrong or a setback for Rick's humanity, but it feels like it wouldn't show the growth that I think TPTB intend for Rick's personal evolution. He started out hesitant to kill, moved to an uneasy acceptance that he had to sometimes, and then to a period of time where he didn't care who he killed. It feels like they have been setting up the idea that Rick, at his core, is someone who wants a different way of life than that for the next world, and sparing Negan is symbolic and more about the timing of where Rick is on his arc than whether Negan deserves it (yes, definitely) more or less than people Rick has killed in the past. The resource issues are problematic for sure.

DavieVC and Denie39 like this.
  19. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    If Negan is killed, by Rick or Carl, it will be one hell of an episode. But I think Negan is going to be around a while. Apart from JDM's contracts(!!), I wonder about the purpose of that jail cell that Morgan has made. What is it for? Plus Rick sitting in the cell, looking at the message and gearing up for war seems like foreshadowing. That cell might be Negan's future home till the end of his life!

DavieVC likes this.
  20. zahira

zahira Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Tv Negan and Comic Negan must die