1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Does Negan Have to Die?

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by TakemetoRick, Jan 5, 2017.

1. TakemetoRick

TakemetoRick Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I thought for sure that Negan would have to die from the moment we first saw him, but the existence of that cell means it ain't gonna happen. Too much foreshadowing.

Denie39 likes this.
  2. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't know how AOW plays out but I'd like Negan to go afterward. (If I thought they could write original material, I'd say he should go a couple of episodes into season 8.)

I watched 7x01 during the marathon last weekend and I was once again struck by how badly he tortured Rick and TF. I miss Glenn and Abe - their deaths were pointless and horrific. I can't beleive TPTB and AMC even thought to use TeamNegan vs. TeamRick (or whatever that was) in promotion.

Philly Girl and MrsG like this.
  3. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Negan needs to gooooooo!! Either at Ricks hand or someone in TF I don't care! He murdered Abe and Glenn , tortured Rick beyind anything, had Olivia killed, took out an entire community of young boys and men with Oceanside, rapes, keeps women as his property, is just an evil sadistic man with a god complex and isn't fit to be a part of Ricks new world. No rehab for this sadistic SOB (who enjoys his sadism, gets off on it and derives pleasure sexual or otherwise from it. You don't just turn that off like a light switch. It's who Negan is and has been even prior to the ZA). And he is so untrustworthy, it's not even funny. TF would have to consistently worry about him escaping and realiatiating against them. So, yeah..no.. he has gots to go! :dienegan::eyefuck: Rick would not go backwards with his humanity because at the end of the day, he will never become Negan. He loves TF, would die for them, isn't a sadistic leader he respects and loves the women in his group, he doesn't rule by fear, or any of the horrid things Negan does. Killing Negan is a necessity at this point, like getting rid of the Govenor. This isn't an eye for an eye, this is called TF survival and Negan will ALWAYS want what Rick has. Add to it, it would be OOC for Rick and TF to keep him alive when they have killed others for lessor transgressions. I can just SEE the hate for Rick coming with that move, from all sides, folks not seeing nor understanding his reason for why Negan isn't swallowing a bullet. Folks didn't understand Rick not fighting Negan, they are for dammed sure not going to understand him NOT killing him.

#23 ALDGRichonneLover, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  4. The Last Big Kat

The Last Big Kat Vengeance For The Plunderers
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Of all the villains to spare, why Negan? He gets off on murder (whether innocents or people that have crossed him) and rape and subjugation. There is nothing to redeem about him. There is no time he can ever be trusted. TF has killed to survive before, what's one more when it's Negan?

As for who goes in the cell, naturally there's tons of foreshadowing for Negan, but it could be any other Savior, people who could reasonably argue they had no choice but to follow Negan and if given time and rehab could be trusted members of the post-apocalyptic society.

And if Rick by himself or even with just a handful of TF members decides to keep Negan in a cell - what about the other communities? Do they have a say in what happens to the man that murdered their friends and family? It would be pretty arrogant of Rick/TF to make a decision on Negan's life by themselves.

I'm in favor of Negan dying, although if not in battle, preferably all the communities he's oppressed put him on trial and determine his punishment. Ideally they would choose execution. A move like that cements the communities working together, creating a code of law and punishment (if you subjugate, rape, and murder you will be tried and executed), and develops a nore formalized "civilization" for the post-apocalyptic survivors.

And again, some of the Saviors might be considered Negan's victims as well, or perhaps capable of redemption under different leadership. A high-ranking one could be put in the cell instead.

Deciding not to kill everyone as an "eye for an eye" doesnt have to start with Negan, and at any rate killing Negan wouldnt be an eye for an eye. It'd be a life for dozens or hundreds of lives, and for freedom from a sadistic rapist that kills and crushes people just because he can and it amuses him.

5. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I need him gone like yesterday. I can't stand him, not only for what he did to Glenn and Abe, but his torturing and SWFing Rick, making Michonne cry, humiliating Carl, making himself at home in the Grimes residence, putting his smarmy hands on Judes, telling fat jokes about Olivia, letting his pervy man all up on Enid, letting his men beat up Aaron, torturing Daryl, his girl killing Olivia, taking Eugene, having a harem -- the list just goes on and on. He needs to die. But I also know what happens in the comics, and Morgan just had to build that dadgum jail cell:tdog:, so I'm not holding my breath that he'll get his own bat upside the head or be made into one of Michonne's pets, although they can still use it for other people, not just Negan. Nobody deserves it more, but it is what it is. Now, they could remix it and do a hard left from the comics, especially since the Negan fest hasn't gone over as well as they had hoped. But Sweet Baby :jesus:, don't tell me we've got to put up with him through Season 9! But he's not that prominent in 7b, so if they dial him back some and keep him at that level, maybe, but I still think he needs to bite the dust in the end.

I've said this before somewhere else in another thread, but my idea, though, for ending him and that wouldn't diminish Rick's coming full circle or keeping his humanity was that, yeah, they lock him up at the end of AOW and then have a jury trial of his peers from all of the communities that he's messed over. What's more civilized than that? And then they can put on the evidence, hear testimony and then come to a verdict of his guilt or innocence, which we know he's not coming back innocent, and then vote on his penalty, whether it be death or life imprisonment. That way everyone has a say and it's not just Rick killing him out of revenge. It'll be justice. Or they could just let someone else kill him like Carl, Daryl, or Maggie or even Carol. I mean, she's pretty much lost all humanity anyway at this point, lol! But he needs to go, especially since they've made him must worse than he is in the comics. Why would they do that if they wanted him to stick around for a while? I just don't see how they can redeem him at this point.:dienegan:

#25 walkinggirl26, Jan 5, 2017
  6. ALDGRichonneLover

Walker Pets:
    Brilliant post @TheLastBigCat !! Well stated and I agree 100%! :thumbsup::bravo:

Katbird, MrsG and The Last Big Kat like this.
  7. ALDGRichonneLover

Walker Pets:

Welll said Walkinggirl! A jury of all of the communities, Negan having to face everyone that he has harmed, maimed, coerced, raped and killed. But we know Kirkman has the biggest hard-on for all things Negan so highly doubtful we would get this. Negan is civilization at its worst and every dictatorship has an ending coming. It's the law of nature that folks are not going to continue to be oppressed. And the oppressor gets theirs in the end. And what purpose would keeping him alive prove anyway? Rick and TF have always been better than Negan, Even at their worst, they won't ever become Negan. They actually have a soul and humanity unlike Negan. Like the govenor, Negan is too far gone, drunk on his own power, ego and sadism. No coming back from that,. IMO.

8. RixChix

RixChix Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    I don't think i can handle anymore of his long-winded speeches, posturing, torturing, leaning back, or just anymore of him period! I don't know that I have hated a villain this much (the heat of a thousand suns might be about right). I am all for saving and keeping characters that have some redemptive value, but I don't think he does. Even if you have read the GN, and know what he does down the road to kinda sorta maybe be a help, i don't see TV Negan ever getting there short of a rusty butterknife performed lobotomy. :dienegan:

9. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
  10. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I don't think Negan's fate is necessarily tied up with Rick's arc coming full circle. Whether Rick and/or the commutes decide to kill or jail Negan, it will be a decision that is not made lightly and within the confines of justice, not some random pointless murder (if he is executed).

I know that there are some differences between TV!Negan and Comic!Negan, but honestly, they both are crazy dictators that did awful things. And for the life of me, I don't understand why Comic!Negan lives. Dictators can't be reasoned with or treated with diplomacy. So I side-eye RK's worship of Negan's character because it shows a somewhat unhealthy fascination with a psychopath. I guess the only thing he did was take Negan's power away. But again, not sure why the comic version lives.

AbsoluteTrash and Katbird like this.
  11. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    If they do choose to keep Negan alive and jailed what would be the thing that compels Rick to not kill him? There is the return to civilization argument but what would prompt this debate in this situation? I just don't think a speech from Morgan cuts it in this situation. It just wouldn't be enough after the anguish he has caused just Rick alone, nevermind everyone else in his path. I'm just not sure how you could write it to make sense? Like did it even make sense in the comic?

I'm a pretty strong pacifist, it's a spiritual conviction with me, but there is a time to kill and that time is war. ASZ doesn't even have the resources available to make any rehab attempt. I guess law & order has to begin somewhere but this seems like a stretch.

TakemetoRick, Katbird, MrsG and 2 others like this.
  12. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    If that dude who was going to rape Carl deserved death (he did) and that cop at Grady Hospital deserved death for running (theres no going back Bob) and even drunken wife beating Pete deserved death for unintentionally killing Deanna's husband then Negan definitely deserves to be put down for the plethora of abominations he has committed against the citizens of all the communities including his own.

13. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne Plotting to kill Negan
    Patron

Walker Pets:

Thank you!!! Negan needs to die..point blank period.

Philly Girl and MrsG like this.
  14. TakemetoRick

Walker Pets:
    To be clear, I don't think this is about whether or not Negan is deserving of life or death. It's about what it means for Rick and the various communities if they decide to spare his life. I certainly don't think this is a unilateral decision that Rick would make alone or lightly. Rather, I expect it would be a consensus decision and the result of some kind of quasi-judicial process. But I think Rick's opinion on the matter is relevant to his character arc.

Denie39 and Katbird like this.
  15. Armte

Armte I Drink and I Know Things
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    I want him dead but I know he will probably live. Not only because of the comic but because of the way AMC has pushed and promoted this character. Even though he is a villain who did far worse things than the comic version, TPTB are desperate for the audience to love him. :ogg:

16. TakemetoRick

Walker Pets:
    By the way, I'm enjoying hearing people's opinions on this topic. I was really surprised by the idea that Negan would end up alive at the end of his AOW arc, in part because he seems so deserving of death, so I wanted to see if my initial instincts were wrong that this would go over like a lead balloon with the fandom and the GA. I am fairly certain that we will be disappointed, but I still think it is an interesting choice that RK made.

#36 TakemetoRick, Jan 5, 2017
    MamaGrimes, Denie39 and Katbird like this.
  17. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    He has to go. Not much on this show would make me happier. Killing Negan would be one of the most therapeutic things I've ever experienced. After everything he has(and will) put TF through, after all he's put the audience through, after all the backlash the show has received because of him he gets to live? Why? Because not doing so says something negative about Rick/TF's humanity? Because keeping Negan alive is a fate worse than death for him? Bullshit on all accounts. It's moronic. It's like keeping a ticking time bomb around. Off the heinous waste of space and right Kirkman's ridiculous wrong from the comics, a wrong which made me want to pitch my laptop across the room and I'm FAR LESS invested in the comics. Of course I'm pretty damn sure he won't die on the show but whatever. :|

18. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I didn't share what I personally thought, but I agree he needs to die. Like any dictator. They can rarely be redeemed (if ever. I'll need receipts), so not sure how Negan's continued existence helps civilization post-ZA. If they don't have him die during the AOW, I'll be really interested in how it plays out afterwards.

Ms.J.Richonne and MamaGrimes like this.
  19. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If they don't kill him, I need a very good reason why they don't. Also, preferably, they shove him in a cell never to be seen again.

20. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The ZA is the Wild West meets Mad Max meets hell on earth. There is no government, no law enforcement, no judge and jury.

There are just survivors who have learned to adjust their humanity, their morality, their previously held ideals in order maintain some semblance of normalcy.

BUT.....it's only been two years since the normal world died, not two decades. These people remember that it's very bad to coerce entire communities into giving you half their stuff or die. They remember that it's very bad to murder 10 year old children, 16 year old children and innocent after innocent after innocent just to maintain totalitarian rule. And, yes, they remember that it's very bad to coerce women to have sexual relations even if the one coercing does it with a smile and labels them as wives.

The New World is without laws but our survivors remember what is right and what is wrong. Rick remembers. Michonne remembers. Maggie remembers. And these survivors have killed as they've adjusted to the new way of living. They've committed acts their previous selves never thought they would.

Negan is the worst the new world has to offer and he doesn't deserve second chances. He can't be rehabilitated. He shouldn't be cared for and fed in a cell for years to come. Not after murdering children and innocent people just so he could rule.

There still needs to be justice in this world and he absolutely needs to die so justice can be served.