1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Does Negan Have to Die?

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by TakemetoRick, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This. That is why I didn't understand Rick's decision in the comic. I get Rick was trying to stop all the killing, but like... Negan was bad. Not just some thief or a dude who killed a man in a drunken bar brawl. Negan is a sadistic murderer. A tyrant.

Especially with TV Negan. They've gone above and beyond to emphasize how much of a Bad Guy™ Negan is.

How in the heck are they going to justify sparing his life? Do they think he can be rehabilitated? Is it just a moral thing?

The only thing I could rationalize is Rick does it as a form of punishment -- that keeping Negan alive would be worse than killing him, because it would be torture for Negan to lose his power and be emasculated in such a way. But then that makes Rick less merciful, in a way.

... :denise:

2. thesamurai

thesamurai The World Is Ours
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yes. The GA is not easily going to forget that Negan killed a fan favorite, and traumatically at that.

Gimple and co. seriously need to stop seeing GA and GN readers as the same audience.

3. TakemetoRick

TakemetoRick Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I think the idea that sparing Negan's life suggests that one must believe he could be rehabilitated is interesting. I wasn't suggesting that at all. I think Negan's crimes are horrific and he's not redeemable. It's clear that he is a threat and that threat needs to be dealt with in some way. I hear people saying that he should be killed because he needs to be punished and that is the punishment he deserves. Death is certainly a form of punishment and the ultimate deterrent, but OTOH, keeping him alive irrespective of whether or not he could ever be redeemable would be a choice that a society or civilization could make that says something about its values. Morgan has been saying that "all life is precious" for a couple of seasons. People keep focusing their responses on the bad things that Negan has done, but not the purpose behind a decision to keep him alive. The writers seem to be leaning toward the idea that keeping a vicious, sadistic killer alive when you have every reason not to is a purposeful choice that says something about the people who make that choice. It's not as much about Negan as it may seem. But anyway, I respect that people dislike Negan passionately and want him to die.

#43 TakemetoRick, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  4. TakemetoRick

TakemetoRick Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    Another thought I had is that there aren't very many people left in the world. Sure, Negan is the worst of the rotten apples they've come across so far (except for maybe the Termites), but the capability for evil exists inside all men, right? So, you kill Negan and then the next time an evil person comes around, do you kill them too? It feels to me like the show is toying with the idea that sometimes you don't kill your worst enemy.

MamaGrimes, Denie39 and Doctor Grimes like this.
  5. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Good discussion. Getting a good grasp on the varied POVs.

MamaGrimes and TakemetoRick like this.
  6. RichonneLvr218

RichonneLvr218 Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    Negan absolutely positively has to die. I don't think I've ever seen a character that is so incredibly psychotic. I don't find the character charming or funny, I just find him despicable and dangerous and he has to be killed for this to make any sense. There's no room for negotiation in this. Humanity can't come into play, because Negan isn't human. When they get this man, they have to kill him. PERIOD.

7. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The moment the Oceanside story was introduced to me was the moment I knew that Negan HAD TO DIE. He has given the okay for the slaughter of children. There is no coming back from that.

I find it so weird that the thought of Rick keeping his humanity might entail sparing Negan's life. For a couple of seasons, Rick has had to grapple with the fact that because he didn't pursue things or kill people when he was supposed to, they have come back and destroyed things. I think there was Andrew at the Prison (led to the death of Lori), the Governor (lead to the death of Hershel), Gareth and Co. (Bob's leg). I don't know. When Rick got the universe's message, he over-corrected and went completely brutal and savage (killing cop Bob for running away and treating the Alexandrians like shit when he first got there). Then, upon seeing them stand up and fight, Rick changes his mind about the community and people. He realizes you have to give them a chance at least that is what I got from all of this.

The writers have really written themselves into a corner here. I just can't see how Rick could possibly leave this guy alive when he is such a known threat to all of the communities he has come across. Furthermore, his group of Saviors includes semi-pedophiles (Enid being inappropriately touched scene). They are also bullies that have no problem killing/harming innocent people (Aaron getting beat up and Olivia). They have shown themselves to be the absolute worst in humanity. Rick doesn't need to give them a chance. They have already exhausted them. And he knows, if they are not appropriately dealt with, they become a danger to the community and to his family.

This is different than Jesus who mainly wanted to steal supplies. And Rick made a note of the fact that Jesus didn't shoot Daryl during their scuffle even though he had Daryl's gun. SO Rick understood that there was some good in Jesus. That is why he didn't kill him after everything. Jesus was just mostly annoying. That is different than Negan that has killed so many people. Also, even if Rick doesn't think he should die, what about the other communities that Negan has harmed? What about Oceanside?

The writers are going to have to come up with a way to swing this. I expect RK and production wants Negan to live. They are going have to find a way to get there because as it stands, it would seem way too implausible.

8. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I can't take Negan for 4 years. I just can't. In the immortal words of Tyrese, "I won't".

9. RichonneAlexandria

RichonneAlexandria Walker Bait

Walker Pets:
    You took the words right out of my mouth. After we learned in Swear that he killed all the males of Oceanside (even young boys), there was no chance of redemption for him for me. Him systematically extorting the different communities demonstrates his lack of care for anyone's survival other than his own. He told Rick after the Rosita fiasco that their hole was so big that no matter how many runs and supplies he got from Alexandria it wasn't enough. Negan already saw their food rations were low and knows they have a baby but still doesn't give a fuck. Alexandria doesn't have the same start with growing crops and such like the Hilltop and Kingdom and would fall first to famine if they continue on this way.

While, I do think stripping Negan of his power and imprisoning him would hurt him more I still think he needs to die and Rick needs to keep his promise "Gareth style".