1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Executive Producer Calls Negan "One of the Greatest Villains Ever Created in TV" (IGN)

Discussion in '6x16: Last Day on Earth' started by Doctor Grimes, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    All aboard the hype train. Here's an article chatting up Negan once again.

Negan is coming, and the characters on The Walking Dead probably aren't ready. During their visit to Hilltop, Rick & Co. clearly viewed the mysterious Negan as no bigger threat than the villains they've faced in the past, but little do they know just how dangerous he actually is.

The Walking Dead comics reader do know, however, and most TV watchers probably have some sense that Negan is a big deal. For those who don't know, executive producer David Alpert is hoping "Knots Untie" sparks some discussions.

"We want [people who don't know Negan] to get into conversations with their friends like, ah, that's nothing, and the friends who have read the comics be like, 'Oh, you just don't know. You just don't know,'" he told IGN with a laugh.

"Negan is one of the greatest villains ever created in TV," Alpert said of what's ahead on The Walking Dead. "It's the greatest comic book villain I've ever read. He's amazing, he's terrifying, he's funny, he's charming, and the reason why I think he's so terrifying is he makes a certain amount of sense. Even though he does horrible, horrible horrific things, there's a certain logic -- a barbaric logic, but a logic -- to it. I think it's not just the horrible things he does, it's the appeal of that logic. It takes a little while to wrap your head around it."

He added, "This guy's built something. He's built something huge, and it's really impressive what he's been able to build. He's done something way beyond what the Governor has done, and he's not hiding behind the niceties the way the Governor was. He's not pretending to be something that he's not. He's a fully self-actualized human, it's just not necessarily in a good way. You need to have that build up, you need to have his minions out there talking about him so you understand how impressive and how large what's Negan's built is."​

Read the full article at IGN

2. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki Saying "Yes"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    - Urm, there'll be nothing left for the viewer to discover themselves. We're not really into S7 and haven't seen much of what the saviours have built
    - All this talk makes me think they're going to skimp on Negan
    - Talk about blowing your own trumpet. Why not let your viewers decide if he is the greatest villian on TV?

3. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Negan is already destroyed in my eyes so I don't care what they say.
    The hype and name dropping every five seconds was the first mistake. The censoring of his language was the second mistake. And now they're ruining the Lucille scene for absolutely no reason other then they want the show to tank. Negan has three strikes against him before I even got to see him on my screen and I'm pissed.

tuswig and Bazooka Jane like this.
  4. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    I agree with everything you said. Negan has already been ruined. He may be the greatest villain in the TWD Universe but I doubt that he will be anywhere near the greatest tv villain of all time. TV Negan will probably pale in comparison to villains like Cersei Lannister or Ramsay Bolton (GoT), the Underwoods (HoC) or Wilson Fisk (DD). Censorship and poor writing will be the downfall of this character. Also, I have to say, I don't think I have ever come across a show that hypes itself up as much as TWD, and it's getting really....well just lame.

5. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I'm already so over the Negan hype. From the 10 minutes I saw, I was not impressed. "Pee pee pants city"? Really? He's cartoonish and silly to me. Not lethal and terrifying at all. And I also hate the way they keep talking shit about the Governor. I just re-watched S03 and David Morrisey's portrayal of him was absolutely brilliant. He was robbed of an Emmy. It was so layered, and quiet, yet loud and crazy all at the same time. A true psychopath going in and out of psychosis. Amazing job. He was more of a real world villain. Villains hide...they don't just come out of the box talking about "pee pee pants city"...
    Every time I think about that line, I say to myself, "That is the corniest, dumbest thing I have ever heard."

Michele, MamaGrimes, Lennykae and 2 others like this.
  6. Chaos

Chaos Michonne licks Rick clean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    These people are still talking after they attempted to serve us that enormous platter of bullshit about the finale???

Clearly they didn't learn anything...

Lennykae and tuswig like this.
  7. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    I too wasn't impressed with TV Negan's first appearance. His monologue was getting repetitive and kept dragging on and on. I think the fact that Rick's group was outnumbered made the situation feel hopeless and dreadful but Negan as an individual villain in that moment??? I felt nothing.

In hindsight, I appreciate DM's portrayl of The Gov alot more, also thought AW as Gareth was pretty stellar, shame he wasn't with us longer.

MamaGrimes and FLNatural like this.
  8. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    Right, like shut the fuck up already! Most of season 6 was pretty bad and the finale didn't do this show any favors with the fandom. Most would try to put some distance between themselves and this travesty, but nope these people keep doing interviews and pouring salt in the wound.

Chaos likes this.
  9. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki Saying "Yes"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    @FLNatural , @OrganizedChaos I think the article and post is an old one and dates back to February, before Negan appeared.

Honestly, I too wasn't impressed. I'm leaving a leeway for the fact that his appearance was one of the most anticipated (hyped) and I heard the audio/spoilers in advance for the dulling of my experience. I will watch the episode again in the summer to finally rate it. I actually thought that the Lead saviour as portrayed by Steven Ogg was more intimidating than Negan. I hope they really do him justice and make the right adaptation for Negan from page to screen. Where's Darabond when you need him.

tuswig likes this.
  10. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

At this point all Negan does is talk. So scary. Talk to me when Daryl is dead.

Lennykae and tuswig like this.
  11. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Alpert usually isn't a pure hype-man, but lol, still. While I do love Negan, I think all this hype may backfire on them because what makes him great to comic readers probably won't translate to TV viewers. It's a pretty different mindset you find between the two groups of consumers. It makes me even more sure they're gonna try and "humanize" Negan like they did The Governor, and it makes me annoyed because while Gov came out a better character for it, it won't be the same with Negan.

Michele likes this.