1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite and Least Favorite Episode Titles

Discussion in 'Episodes' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I am curious what episode titles people have liked and hated.

Honestly I am neutral or even dislike quite a number of episode titles, but I think some were clever/well-done -- especially after having seen the episodes.

Here's mine:

Favorite Episode Titles:
    • "Beside the Dying Fire"
    • "Pretty Much Dead Already"
    • "Days Gone Bye"
    • "Claimed"
    • "Killer Within"
    • "Too Far Gone"
    • "Tell It to the Frogs"
    • "Nebraska"
    • "Clear"
    • "30 Days Without an Accident"
    • "Better Angels"
    • "When the Dead Come Knocking"
    • "Guts"
    • "Arrow on the Doorpost"
    • "No Sanctuary"
    • "18 Miles Out"
    • "A"
    • "The Day Will Come When You Won't Be"
    I notice I actually like a lot of these episodes as well. Which is interesting.

Least Favorite Episode Titles:
    • The entire sequence of "I"-titled episodes in 4A: "Infected", "Isolation", "Indifference", "Internment". It got so old after a while and all those episodes kind of blend together as a result.
    • And a whole lot of episodes with such ambiguous titles I am like... ???? None of these titles said much about what the episode entailed.
      • "Us"
      • "Them"
      • "Crossed"
      • "Still"
      • "Sick"
      • "Inmates"
      • "Alone"
      • "East"
      • "Seed"
      • "Consumed"
      • "Prey"
      • "Strangers"
      • "Triggerfinger"
      • "After"
    • The 5B episode titles. I liked the callback to Dale's speech, but like... they were boring titles (and, again, didn't say too much about the episodes themselves): "Remember," "Forget", "Spend", "Try", "Conquer". They don't really tell us much about the episode.
    • "I Ain't a Judas" - it just sounds dumb lmao
    • "Judge, Jury, Executioner" - just too heavy handed and wordy
    I actually like some of those episodes, but yikes their titles. :lol:

21melpomene and Lyra_Nation like this.
  2. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I agree with you on everything except for Prey.

That said everything about the episode. The Gov was the predator; Andrea was the prey.

I loooove Killer Within. That's my favorite episode title out of all of them I think. Four Walls and a Roof was also a really good title.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  3. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Very good point. I get the imagery it evoked, I guess my feelings about the episode transferred onto the title. I was trying not to let that happen, but, welp. :lol:

I also like "Four Walls and a Roof" but it isn't in my top tier.

4. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    That Go Getter is definitely going to be in worst list

5. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The titles that stuck out to me:

"Tell It to the Frogs"
    "Triggerfinger"
    "Judge, Jury, Executioner"
    "When the Dead Come Knocking"
    "The Suicide King"
    "I Ain't a Judas"
    "Arrow on the Doorpost"
    "This Sorrowful Life"
    "Welcome to the Tombs"
    "30 Days Without an Accident"
    "No Sanctuary"
    "Four Walls and a Roof"
    "What Happened and What's Going On"
    "First Time Again"
    "The Next World"
    "Last Day on Earth"
    "The Day Will Come When You Won't Be"

:dalewtf:These aren't even some of my favourite episodes. I think I just like long and dramatic titles. S5 was not good for me. :lol:

C-Ben likes this.
  6. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My favorite title: 6.10 "The Next World."

My least favorite: "Slabtown"

lovingdead likes this.
  7. The Last Big Kat

The Last Big Kat Vengeance For The Plunderers
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'll start out with my list of complaints and a few suggestions for better titles - or at least slightly less personally annoying titles.

I Ain't A Judas - Just why. I could see this if it were a Daryl-centric episode, but it was Andrea-focused and she doesn't say "ain't." It'd be slightly better if it were just "I'm Not (A) Judas." I mean either way it still doesn't speak well of Andrea, and I don't think I like "I'm not a Judas" a whole lot but at least it's not on my What The Fuck Even list.

--

Remember, Forget, Spend, Try. I actually liked Conquer since it was fitting: Rick through intention and circumstances inadvertently set into motion basically "conquers" Alexandria. But those other ones...while the callback to Dale's Faulkner speech was near once it was pointed out to me that's what it was, as separate episode titles they fall flat. Things can be cool and good even before you find out what they're referencing, Gimple. :sasha:

"I like what the father said to the son when he gave him a watch that had been handed down through generations. He said: ‘I give you a mausoleum of all hope and desire which will fit your individual needs, no better than it did mine and my father before me. I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you may forget it. For a moment, now and then, and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it.’”

To keep with the "Dale-Faulkner" theme, I'd rename them:

"Remember" to "A Watch That Had Been Handed Down [Through Generations]" - Preserving history like with Deanna's interviews, the hope of the old world continuing

"Forget" - "A Mausoleum of All Hope [And Desire]" which would suggest the ASZ preserves the hope of a dead world - either in a good or bad sense.

"Spend" - "Will Suit Your Individual Needs No Better Than It Did Mine"

Try - "Not That You May Remember Time, But That You May Forget It"

"Conquer" to "And Not Spend All Your Breath Trying To Conquer It"

But honestly trying to take that quote and split it into 5 relevant episode titles seems like a chore, and a limiting one at that. And even my suggestions are kinda clunky. Better to just name them all "This Arc Was Supposed To Be Awesome But We Ruined It."

--

"Now" - Why, other than to remind he viewers that we're done with Morgan's flashback and we're in the terrible present where Glenn is maybe dead and Rick is being a dumbass in a garage.

--

"Us" and "Them" were a season apart but I suppose were meant to be a pair - like an "us vs them" sort of thing. But "Them" just reminds me of Daryl destroying Rick's speech. "Us" was kind of...well it just didn't really lean into the "us v them" mentality or any sense of unity that seemed to justify it just being called "Us."

I don't even know what to call "Us" other than maybe calling that one "Claimed" and calling "Claimed" something else.

"Them" could be "The Dead," "The Walk," "Walkers," "After the Storm," "BETH STILL SINGS." Actually "The Distance" as a title fits here, since this is when most of the distance is covered lol. "The Distance" can borrow a Bob quote, since we're quoting the beloved dead now, "When To Let Someone In" or "...And Nightmares End."

But if some version of "And Nightmares End" ends up being the series finale title I want like 50000 I Called It points.

Also "What Happened And What's Going On" annoys me because I most certainly did not find out what happened or what was going on in that episode. But I'd call it "One More Day With A Chance," or maybe "Staring at Pictures Gets You Killed" or "Team Family Forgets About Tourniquets."

-------

Okay now episode titles I really like.

"Days Gone Bye" or Days Gone Bi badum tush. I actually kinda think this one is cheesy too but lol.

"Beside the Dying Fire" or Out of the Fire Into The Pansexuality badum tush

"Here's Not Here" because it fit with the "Morgan-centric episodes get one of his random phrases" theme, and also the episode did good job of explaining the sense in "here's not here." Anyone who's ever had to deal with a reality which is incomprehensible can probably relate.

"The Next World" fitting that essentially the start of the next chapter in the story would be called this. Now if only it had been the MSP. :sadmaggie:

"A" - it seems random, but then our heroes end up being lead through a trap along the "A" path and end up stuck in the "A" car.

And a bunch of titles that I like just because, although I don't necessarily like the episodes: Say The Word, Hounded, Tell It To The Frogs, 18 Miles Out, Nebraska, Inmates, Clear, Claimed, Always Accountable, Four Walls and A Roof, No Sanctuary, Consumed, and Indifference.

8. 21melpomene

21melpomene Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    Titles I particularly like:

"Days Gone Bye" Cute pun.
    "Pretty Much Dead Already" And I was after that barn reveal.
    "Better Angels" A nice tribute line to Dale, who always tried to appeal to their humanity.
    "The Suicide King" Illustrative of Rick making choices detrimental to the group (trying to shove Michonne out, kicking out Sasha and Tyreese).
    "Welcome to the Tombs" I thought it was fitting for Andrea, for the situation she found herself in.
    "30 Days Without an Accident" Another cutesy one for the ZA
    "Still" I don't like this episode nor do I understand how this title applied, but I like the simplicity of the word in relation to running around in the ZA.
    "Four Walls and a Roof" Another simple title cleverly used when Maggie describes to Father Gabriel what the ZA has reduced his church to.
    "Coda" As former high school band geek I thought this was the perfect description for Beth's death.
    "The Distance" This was all about Richonne to me, with "the distance" between them having closed (until Team Porch Plan came into effect). We see Michonne standing up and Rick deferring to her, them fighting together, her telling him the rules had changed for her, her asking if he's ready...asking the audience if they're ready for the next steps in their future... le sigh...
    "First Time Again" There's a sense of nostalgia mixed with a freshness in this title and I thought it really applied to Rick and Morgan.
    "Thank You" I liked that Nicholas thanked Glenn for giving him another chance. Best last words ever.
    "The Day Will Come When You Won't Be" A beautiful and haunting callback to season 1.

Titles I don't particularly like:

"Vatos" I don't know why. Maybe the group didn't use the word enough for me.
    "Nebraska" I get where it comes from but I didn't feel it was important enough to warrant its being a title.
    "Home" I guess it applied to Daryl coming home to the prison but other than that I didn't get the usage.
    "Live Bait" Don't like simply b/c I don't know who the frig was the live bait :lol:
    "Us" Don't know who the "us" is supposed to be either :lol::lol:
    "What Happened and What's Going On" This episode is one of my favorites but the title is too pointed for my taste.
    "Spend" Again, didn't get it. :lol::lol::lol:
    "Now" Underwhelming title AND episode
    "Twice as Far" Twice as far where? What? Help :roflmao:

I don't understand half the things this show is trying to tell me, from their vague dialogue to their episode titles, and I was an English major. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

9. richonneromance

richonneromance Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Arrow On The Doorpost and I Ain't A Judas piss me off. Slabtown is just ugly.

I really like Coda, Days Gone Bye, After, Alone, No Sanctuary and Killer Within.

I've always preferred either one word or short titles and I think these ones summarise the entire episode best.

10. Buttons&Applesauce

Buttons&Applesauce Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    The first one that comes to my mind is "Now," but that's probably because I hated that ep.
    While I don't hate this title, "The Distance" always makes me think of this song: