1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Finale Reviews

Discussion in '6x16: Last Day on Earth' started by MamaGrimes, Apr 4, 2016.

1. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Here's a thread to capture all of the reviews, good, bad and indifferent for the 'finale':

I'll get us started with the review from Forbes. They captured a lot of the issues I had with the episode...

'The Walking Dead' Season 6 Finale Review: Negan And His Bat
    Well, it looks like we’ll have to wait a few months to find out exactly who Negan killed with his bat, Lucille. I held out a grim sort of hope that we’d learn who gets killed tonight, rather than have to wait until Season 7, but my hopes were dashed.

Maybe “dashed” isn’t the right metaphor for this occasion. Somebody, after all, met the receiving end of a barbwire-wrapped baseball bat. We didn’t see who—we didn’t even see the murder. We just heard it happening.

Oh brother. I’m not surprised, and at the same time I’m still baffled that the showrunners could pull a move this silly.

Anyways, we know it wasn’t Carl. Negan orders his men to cut out Carl’s eye if anyone attempts to stop his beating. We also know it wasn’t Rick, since Negan ordered the eye in question to be fed to Rick should this take place.

I also suspect it wasn’t Glenn, since he was on the end, and it looked like Negan picked someone in the center, though I can’t be sure of that. My guess is that it wasn’t Glenn, but it still could be. Whatever the case, one of the group was killed tonight. And you can be damn well certain that millions of viewers will tune in for the Season 7 premiere to find out who that is.

Read the rest here.

Bazooka Jane likes this.
  2. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Washington Post:

‘The Walking Dead’ season finale was a ‘cheap cop-out,’ and people are starting to talk about it'

In the dark of night, a vicious killer raised a baseball bat covered in barbed wire at his captives — a beloved crew of zombie-apocalypse survivors a devoted audience of millions has followed for years on one of basic cable’s top-rated shows. And, as Sunday’s episode made clear, one of “The Walking Dead’s” survivors would survive no more.

After a macabre round of “eenie meenie,” the killer’s bat came down. The screen went black. We heard sickening thwacks and screams of terror. And that devoted audience found that, to its horror, the only thing worse than watching a beloved character die was having to wait until the AMC show’s return in October to find out who.

“The Walking Dead’s” undead army of online re-cappers rushed to their keyboards — but, for once, viewers were left on their own at the edge of cliffhanger one commenter likened to a “cheap cop-out.” Why write “spoiler alert” when there is nothing to spoil?

Read the rest here

IGN:

THE WALKING DEAD "LAST DAY ON EARTH" REVIEW

"You are so gonna regret crossing me in a few minutes."

Man, after all that time waiting. Anticipating. Wondering if the show would stick to its comic book-based guns or not. And we get a very disappointing cliffhanger. After, like, 10 minutes of very taught emotional manipulation. Following an overlong episode designed to basically do nothing but build us up toward those final 10 minutes.

Now, don't get me wrong. Jeffrey Dean Morgan's Negan did not disappoint. He was great. And the casual flippancy of his character felt really exciting, even adding a nerve-racking electricity to the show. His smirk and swagger were a wonderful sight to behold. In fact, early casting rumors about Negan also had Jon Hamm in the running and I could totally see him pulling off this role too. There was a confidence and overall reasonableness to Negan's madness that was really cool.

Read the rest here

PB Protein Bar and Bazooka Jane like this.
  3. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Hitflix:

“Last Day on Earth” was just about the opposite of a creative miracle. It was every bad decision the show has made over the last few years, all included in a dumb, lifeless, repetitive 90-minute episode that couldn’t even be bothered to give the comic book fans the one moment they’d been waiting for.

Yikes.

4. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    The negative reviews give me life and reduce my saltiness.

TV.com
    "Well that was one of the worst season finales I've seen in a long time. It's boggling that a show that knows exactly what its fans want would purposefully avoid giving that very thing to its fans. "Last Day on Earth" was a gassy 90-minute episode that ended in one of the cheapest ways possible—a cliffhanger that never answered the question that was on our minds all season long: Who would Negan kill in the finale?

THUD. And that's not the sound of the bat crashing down on someone's head, that's the sound of the effect this scene had.

This wasn't storytelling. This was literally lining up all the show's main characters and pointing out to us that one of them was going to die with all the theatrics of a hack magician. As Negan played Eenie Meenie Miney Moe and stuck Lucille in the mug of our favorite characters like he was Babe Ruth calling his shot, The Walking Dead was essentially going down the line and saying, "Hey you, we might kill Glenn! Or Carl! Or Abraham!" And so on and so on. But the big mustache twirl came as we never found out who was put out of their misery, an evil, joyless escape from Season 6 and an even more evil carrot to dangle in our faces to get us to watch Season 7."

The Atlantic
    David Sims: After all that build-up, all that pointless meandering, and all of that media hype, there couldn’t have been a more perfect closing shot for this season of The Walking Dead. The camera faced the new villain Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) as he slammed a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire down on top of somebody’s head, with blood running down the screen. The point-of-view angle was designed to keep the dead cast member a mystery until next year (fuel for the endless online-gossip mill that keeps the show in the news during its off-season). But it had another, perhaps unintended, effect: making the viewers feel like they’re the real victims. In short, we suffered through this whole season just to get beaten over the head.

The only way for the show to blow the moment was to overplay its cliffhanger, to leave the audience with nothing as it cut to black for another six months. Viewers knew Negan was coming; we didn’t know who he’d kill off. Well, we still don’t know, and frankly I don’t care to know at this point. Watching “Last Day on Earth,” I realized it didn’t really matter to me who Negan picked for death—I was just steeling myself for the gory violence that would result. When a show’s cast is facing execution, and you’re not worried about losing any of them, then it’s time to say goodbye. Goodbye, Walking Dead. It’s been a wild six years, but it’s long past time to bid farewell, and a baseball bat to the head is as good a way as any.

Lenika Cruz: The stress and thrill of waiting for the next big character to die is a burden viewers accept when they commit to a certain kind of drama series (ahem, Game of Thrones). There are usually, though, plenty of other good reasons to keep watching. Unfortunately, this last season of The Walking Dead points to the sad fact that the show views the question “Who will die?” as its only narrative currency—ironically, The Walking Dead’s excessive dependence on death hasn’t elevated it, but has instead cheapened it. This approach has by extension cheapened the lives of everyone on the show, especially the most beloved characters.

But also like you, David, after catching a good chunk of Talking Dead immediately following the finale, I’m even more certain that it’s the right call, at least for fans like myself who’ve been growing increasingly disillusioned.

For me, the telling point came when Gimple and Robert Kirkman tried to make the case to Chris Hardwick that this episode wasn’t technically a cliffhanger. The reason? Because the story they were trying to tell this season was about Rick’s downfall, while the issue of who died is meant to be the main story for next season. Hearing them try to explain away this disaster of a finale on the basis of artistic integrity felt like another barbed-wire-covered-bat thwack to the face. If they can’t see why this kind of thinking is deeply unfair to the viewer (and disingenuous), why continue to trust their judgment? More cheap moments like the one that capped “Last Day on Earth” are almost definitely in store in the future. Moving forward, I can’t promise I’ll be around to witness them.

tuswig, michonne, MamaGrimes and 6 others like this.
  5. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    So, AMC: do you have another Negan casting news bit you can use to distract us from the bad reviews this time?

6. Mullet of Lies

Mullet of Lies Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm so glad that the rest of the world is as salty as we are.

[​IMG]

michonne and Misty Knight like this.
  7. Armte

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I am actually excited for comic con to watch these bitches squirm. People and critics are pissed, this will not die by the summer because people still don't know who died. All the questions will be related to the cliffhanger, why did you do it, how do you think you will keep it a secret. We will know thanks to TSDF.

Bazooka Jane and Flower1petals like this.
  8. Armte

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Variety
    Is anyone surprised? After so much speculation, rumor-mongering and myth-making in the run up to Negan’s introduction, the eventual outcome of the “Walking Dead” Season 6 finale couldn’t help but feel like a cop-out, especially in a season that has been loaded with fake-outs and fan-baiting moments, from Glenn’s dumpster dive to last week’s Daryl misdirect.

Purposefully removing an actor’s name from the credits just to rile up fans is cruel and unusual punishment (although it was certainly a savvy strategy in terms of building buzz), but “Last Day on Earth” doubled down on the producers’ penchant for trolling their audience, unmistakably showing us a death, but refusing to show us who died.

In any other year, that might’ve seemed like a canny and unique way to ensure that fans come back for Season 7 in October, but in a season that has gone out of its way to toy with its audience under the guise of “keeping us guessing,” it feels less like a valid storytelling device and more like a petty game of keep-away. Charlie Brown might continue falling for Lucy’s football trick, but at a certain point, we as viewers — free of the confines of a comic strip — should probably know when to walk away.

As with last week’s episode, in which pretty much every character made completely ridiculous decisions purely because the writers needed them to end up in peril, the finale showed the strings being pulled above our puppets a little too clearly (how apt, then, that the episode featured two men being hanged).

the episode unquestionably belonged to Andrew Lincoln. It’s rare to see Rick looking so uncertain and out of control, but as “Last Day on Earth” wore on, we watched him unravel in front of our eyes, his confidence beginning to crumble as the RV hit obstacle after obstacle despite his reassurances to Maggie that they’d be okay. Rick has undergone quite an evolution already this season, and it’s intriguing to imagine what kind of condition we’ll see him in next season, after being so thoroughly outfoxed by an adversary he severely underestimated.

9. Lennykae

Lennykae Scott Gimple is the Janet Evanovich of TV.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yes, bring in the reviews to be a tasty supplement to the fan blowback all over the web.

The 90-minutes thing is pure deception, so I hope every reviewer keeps shading it. It has yet to mean something and they did it three times this season. Why do they treat fans like morons?

I tried so hard to believe they would end up fooling us, but I watched my clock from 10:30-10:33. They are unbelievably arrogant and have now made it that much harder for them to write something that overcomes this. How do they NOT know/see that? Nothing they do is going to rise to the occasion. Especially if they have to reassure people that it will.

What was supposed to require diapers, Alpert?

I wanna see what Dalton and Lesley have to say.

10. rlsatk

rlsatk Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    This gives me so much life! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggg 'em. I hope everyone figures out who it is by SDCC and someone spoils it for everyone at Hall H:dalewtf::dalewtf::dalewtf:.

11. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Nothing but fluffy praise. If it's anything but that you'll all hear me hit the floor in shock.

LunaFall and Flower1petals like this.
  12. Lennykae

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    IKR. But would he really want to be that guy right now? Maybe he'll post another meaningless poll.

13. Armte

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Please this is all Dalton shared in his article about the cliffhanger, more questions. I cant stand him, he is as bad as Hardwick.

"Was it Glenn? Was it Daryl? Was it Michonne? Was it Abraham? Or someone else? Let the debates begin now. It was the latest in a series of cliffhangers on the show, which left Glenn’s fate in doubt for a month earlier in the season, and also ended last week’s penultimate episode with blood splattering the screen as Daryl was shot by his nemesis Dwight. The latest gambit will surely get fans debating who was killed, and whether this was one cliffhanger too many."

Delightfully Thomi likes this.
  14. Leannan

Leannan Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    Its insulting that the writers did this to the fans, it's such BS.

15. JBody

JBody Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    AV Club: The Walking Dead season finale swings, misses

Question: How do you fill an hour and a half of television with roughly twenty minutes worth of story?

Answer: Well, first you go this way. And they you realize you can’t go that way anymore, so you try another way. And then that way fizzles out on you, so you think real hard and you come up with way three. But damn, way three is another no go, and you’re getting sort of stressed, and maybe that stress creates the illusion of tension, since—oh, hold on, let’s cut to a different storyline which has nothing to do with the main storyline, so we forget that we were worried about where we were going in the first place. Also, there are occasional suggestive shots of… something. No, I’m sure it will all make sense in the end. Everything will make sense if you just keep watching.

16. Flower1petals

Flower1petals Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    This is the best one yet. :lol:

HustleBunnee and JBody like this.
  17. rlsatk

rlsatk Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    Bonus Tip: “Hire new writers/showrunners.”
    This may seem cold, but I’m going to say it anyways. It’s time to get new people in charge of the show. Creator Robert Kirkman made some very successful comic books. That doesn’t mean he’s very good at producing a TV show. Showrunner Scott Gimple is quite frankly running this show into the ground. And the writers show no interest in creating complex, interesting characters or believable plots. Time for fresh blood across the board. I don’t think anything will change for the better otherwise. - Forbes

Someone finally said it.

18. JBody

JBody Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I have yet to read a review that isn't universally negative or even half-negative. Love this from AV Club: "This is lousy, manipulative storytelling, a cliffhanger that robs a powerful moment (because good or bad, watching Negan beat someone we kind of like to death would’ve been powerful) of its effect for the mercenary purpose of dragging this nonsense out just a little bit further. When you’re telling a story, you want your audience to keep watching, so sometimes you use tricks to keep them watching, but the promise between you and your viewers is that those tricks will never get in the way of the story itself. The tricks will never become the point. But for The Walking Dead, the tricks are all that’s left. The show can only dangle poisoned treats in front of us, dropping them month by month, year by year, until we finally choke on them."

Honestly, I am thinking this is their jump-shark moment. A lot of people thought that was DumpsterGate, and a case can be made for that, but this non-finale finale may have trumped that in the shark jumping stakes.

19. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Speaking honestly, I seriously don't know how they can restore fan's faith in the show after this. No joke, but as much as I appreciate Gimple for the scripts he has delivered in the past and his building of Richonne, firing him and hiring someone new might be the only way to restore what was broken. Fans may feel there's a chance the show will stop with the gimmicks if someone else were officially named at the helm.

20. Lennykae

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Good No sympathy for him.

rlsatk likes this.