1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Finale Reviews

Discussion in '6x16: Last Day on Earth' started by MamaGrimes, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I do agree with this. His attitude has been incredibly off-putting.

LunaFall, tuswig and Lennykae like this.
  2. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    AMC saw the Jon Snow hype and wanted a piece of that. Problem is GOT don't do cliffhangers all the time which is why this one worked.

TWD has had three cliffhangers this season Glenn under the bin, MSF and SF. What show would be stupid enough to do that?
    Regardless of AMC forcing them to do a cliffhanger the writing was terrible and that is on the show runners and writers.

3. Lennykae

Lennykae Scott Gimple is the Janet Evanovich of TV.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Also, a lot of people consider Daryl getting shot a cliffhanger, so....4. I would like to see someone ask this.

4. birdnmouse

birdnmouse Guest

Per an article I read, GN seems to imply that this was all Gimple:
    "Obviously, any time you're breaking a story you have those discussions about ... I know Scott [Gimple] was 100% dedicated to ending it this way and then picking it up in season seven," Nicotero says. "I was 100% in support of that. I just thought it was the best story to tell."
    http://www.techinsider.io/why-walking-dead-season-6-ended-on-cliffhanger-2016-4

So that's all fine and well, and as a writer, you should stand up for your choices. In theory, I don't hate the story he says he was trying to tell with Rick's fall, and the group finally meeting it's match with a new beginning in season 7. It's actually a far richer plot that just baddie and shocking death! However, you can't discount the negative fan and critical reaction. Clearly, you did not execute this storyline well if it's not resonating with a majority of your audience. It blows my mind that he seems unwilling to own up to that part.

Sorry, veering way off topic here. I'll take it to another thread. :)

5. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Yes yes yes. Exactly.

6. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    'The Walking Dead' Finale Ruined Negan's Debut With Its Worst Cliffhanger To Date
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...h-its-worst-cliffhanger-to-date/#34d612003d6f

"And again, given that Norman Reedus and AMC are like BFFs at this point (he stars in Walking Dead video games, he has his own motorcycle reality show), it’s pretty clear to me they’re not going to kill Daryl, and certainly not in a way that requires a six month cliffhanger. Honestly at this point I genuinely believe it’s down to Abraham, Eugene and Aaron, and I’m leaning toward Aaron of all people, just because of how stupid the showrunners have made this process, and how afraid they’ve been to kill major characters for a long time now."

"I don’t understand the decision-making process here. The Walking Dead is still a huge hit. An enormous hit. Are they really so desperate not to lose viewers from season to season that they think they have to orchestrate an enormous, entirely unnecessary cliffhanger like this?"

"This was a poor, poor creative decision, and one they can never get back. No matter what happens in the season seven premiere, this moment will have lost almost all of its impact. Stories have specific arcs and narrative climaxes for a reason. You do not make your biggest reveal/death of the series into something that’s pure rising action, and then fracture the climax into something incomprehensible for the sake of…what, blackmailing viewers into tuning in next season premiere? They were going to show up anyway!"

7. Joan Holloway

Joan Holloway Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    just taking it all in. this is so glorious
    [​IMG]

8. Consigliere

Consigliere Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Shakes head they are really getting hammered..

9. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    Technically Jon's death wasn't a cliffhanger per say. You saw his end, even the book folks didn't know what was in store for Jon. However GOT has a history of being able to bring back certain dead characters because of a certain lord of light and that is what the fans were hoping for. Now the GOT powers that be have been lying through their teeth about Jon status. They even lied to the president of the united states. But I hate when TWD tries to compare (Gimp does this all the time) itself to GOT (apples and oranges, Emmy v non-Emmy ever).

Lilly965, Jon Snows and Fana like this.
  10. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki Saying "Yes"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Awww, I actually feel bad for Gimple and the TWD cast. #FireGimple as a trend? I don't advocate that extreme. I understand that people are livid though but when any incident is fresh like this, there's usually a media storm because people are hyped. Those kinds of decisions should not be made in those times. And I hope AMC doesn't try to shift all the blame onto Gimple and fire his ass. I will not be down for that.
    My thoughts:
    • Stop letting TWD's success go to your head :gimp:. Pride goeth before a fall. Kirkman actually irks me more though. Like, ugghh. (We really need a Kirkmam emoji @Doctor Grimes, @Armte, @MamaGrimes @Butler36. Pretty please!)
    • Stop chasing awards. They may never come if you continue chasing them. Just stay true to what you say you are trying to do: tell a good story.
    • I don't want him to give the fans what they want. We should not dictate stuff. I will trust his judgment and let him tell the story he thinks. I will love some bits. I will less favourably love others. I will be back for S7. However, as someone already pointed out, the cliffhanger was worsened by the fact that they themselves hyped Negans arrival and then delivered nothing. Couple that with Dumpstergate (I do not count Daryl as a cliffhanger ) and it leaves a sour taste like they are trying to play with my emotions. TPTB should learn from their mistakes.
    • AMC - the extension felt like an opportunity to get more ads in and make more dosh. This is unfortunately a downside to where TWD is broadcast. We will always have this struggle between profits, budgets, etc. But AMC - the show is a hit. Let the story be the thing that keeps people coming back for more or they will leave. They really will.
    • All good things must come to an end. This may very well be its natural course; the beginning of the end of TWD.

11. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    From Vox (4/5):

The Walking Dead's showrunner explained that terrible cliffhanger. It didn’t help.

His explanation makes absolutely no sense.

In the wake of The Walking Dead's season six finale, on both Talking Dead and a Monday morning conference call I attended, showrunner Scott M. Gimple has given the same answer to the question of why the series didn't reveal which character new villain Negan was killing at the end of the episode.

The problem is that his answer doesn't make any sense.

Said Gimple during the conference call:

In many ways, what we saw last night was the end of the story of season six. Where Rick winds up is completely different from where he started out in [episode] one and where he started out in [episode] nine. I know, obviously, and I've known for a while what is in [episode] 701, and presenting what occurs — to show what happened in full force — it is the beginning of the next story.

See? According to Gimple, it wouldn't make sense to show which character died, because the arc of season six was all about the effect of that moment on Rick.

Here's why the show's explanation doesn't make sense

Instead of focusing on anything having to do with Rick — you know, to really drive home just how shattered he is — the season's final sequence is shot from the point of view of whomever is having their head bashed in by Negan and his barbed-wire-wrapped baseball bat, Lucille.

Read the rest here

JBody likes this.
  12. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    The Walking Dead Quitter’s Club season 6, episode 16: ‘Last Day on Earth’
    No show likes to troll its audience quite like The Walking Dead. Game of Thrones may kill off people you love, and Homeland may test your patience, but there’s something unique about The Walking Dead’s ability to get you invested, hold your hand through long stretches of dialogue-heavy character building, and then blow it all to hell. It’s enough to make you wonder why you’re watching in the first place, so during this season of The Walking Dead, we’re tracking our reaction to each and every episode, to see whether the show is giving us enough to keep going, or whether it’s time to leave the zombie apocalypse behind altogether.
    Verge

Lyra_Nation and JBody like this.
  13. Lennykae

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    No show likes to troll its audience quite like The Walking Dead. Game of Thrones may kill off people you love, and Homeland may test your patience, but there’s something unique about The Walking Dead’s ability to get you invested, hold your hand through long stretches of dialogue-heavy character building, and then blow it all to hell.

The exact problem. Everyone believed this was the one moment that they couldn't mess up, that they wouldn't rob the loyal fanbase, that they would let the story tell itself. Nobody wanted this to fail.

14. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Reaction video compilation...I've seen some of these reaction folks before and they're hysterical. I need that Irish girl to join our site....If you want a laugh (and validation) watch it till the end....

We're not alone. We are not alone.

15. ClassicWoman

ClassicWoman Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I agree it doesn't make any sense. Instead of ending with a CRUSHED Rick to cement his fall and wonder what the fuck is he going to do to come back from this in S7, all people can do is wonder who died? Doesn't seem to make sense

Danaisbestie and MamaGrimes like this.
  16. ClassicWoman

ClassicWoman Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    That was awesome. So I was not the only one yelling FFUCCCKKKK

Jerusha Crystian and MamaGrimes like this.
  17. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    GOT was being cute. Jon does die. He just gets resurrected But everyone knew that Jon couldn't stay dead. A whole chunk of the story would have no protagonist if he stayed dead.

18. Joan Holloway

Joan Holloway Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:

This video is glorious. The backlash has been more entertaining than the show :laugh:

19. Lennykae

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

:lol::lol::lol::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:D::negan::negan::negan::negan::negan::negan:

I am crying. The girl who stood up and left the room could have been me.

They won't be able to recreate these immediate emotional reactions.

The puppy at 2:40....lol

#79 Lennykae, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  20. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Seventeen minutes long and not one sincere "Oh, lol, you got me TWD! Lol that was a good one!" They fucked up so bad, man...