1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Finale Reviews

Discussion in '6x16: Last Day on Earth' started by MamaGrimes, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    And I also just thought of another reason this "exceptional cliffhanger" didn't go over well at all. This is the generation of immediate gratification with our Youtube and our Vine and the interwebs right at our fingertips...Then TPTB pulls this shit...The worst cliffhanger ever where people know someone died but have to wait 5 months to find out who...:daleeye:

2. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    LOL. Thanks for this. I went looking for it yesterday but it wasn't up at the time I was online. I love the way Skybound put together the compilations. I couldn't stop laughing throughout.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  3. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Such a laugh! :roflmao:

4. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Why I’m quitting the ‘Walking Dead’ franchise
    I fear that it has pretty much run its narrative course. It didn't have to be this way.

One of the things about writing a book about zombies is that it becomes kind of necessary to keep up on the genre. In the five years since “Theories of International Politics and Zombies” came out, this wasn’t too much of a burden: Read the occasional prestige zombie novel, watch the occasionalbastardized film version of a zombie novel and watch “The Walking Dead” on AMC.

As that show’s ratings have exploded, however, there has been the inevitable proliferation of spin-offs and homages, including AMC’s “Fear the Walking Dead” and the CW’s “iZombie.” And, well, it’s getting a little more taxing to keep up on it all.

Fortunately, I think I’ve discovered a significant zombie life hack to cope with these rising demands: Stop watching the “Walking Dead” franchise.

The problem is not that either “The Walking Dead” (TWD) or “Fear the Walking Dead” (FtWD) is entirely without merit. The former has produced some interesting characters, particularly Melissa McBride’s Carol. The latter also has some talented actors, particularly Kim Dickens, Ruben Blades and Colman Domingo.

The problem with these shows is that they seem unable to escape a single, unrelenting theme: The post-apocalyptic world is a Hobbesian nightmare that forces surviving humans to evolve into nihilistic killing machines.

Read the rest here

5. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Part of me is wondering just what the hell he expected from this show. It's a road to the rebuilding of society and I can barely think of any civilizations in history that have been built without bloodshed and sometimes having to do horrible things to survive.

Then part of me agrees that this show is so unforgiving and most of the time, it's miserable. There's always so much focus on "that big event from the comics" that they must get to and they skip over a lot of things to get to it. As a result, it either feels forced or you're left wondering what was the point? - :orly: is the one of the best examples to date of forced/what was the point?

We've seen in episode 6x10 that they can do lighthearted. Throughout the series, we've seen heartwarming moments, but they seem so few and far between and I think that's part of the problem. The group had more bonding moments out on the road than they did in ASZ. They're behind walls now with roofs over their heads. They should be able to afford more moments of bonding amongst the family. Add up all that time where they're just silent or just walking and you could use that time to create genuine moments that solidify what this group means to one another and what they mean to Rick.

#85 LunaFall, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  6. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah I kind of agree with you. While the backlash against the show is understandable in light of that gimmicky finale, people who are quitting due to the nature of the show itself (rebuilding civilization) probably shouldn't have signed up to watch in the first place. I mean, the comics are still on-going. It's pretty clear this show could go on indefinitely.

... although I really do want an endgame in sight. All Out War is truly where they need to end it.

lanielove, LunaFall and Bazooka Jane like this.
  7. LunaFall

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I've been feeling that way since S5. Just make season 7 and AOW the best it can be and end it there, maybe have a bonus episode where we get to see where everyone's at and what's going on with them several years down the road.... put that breadmaking comic issue to good use, lol.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  8. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    First off, AOW will definitely not take a season to be played out. Come one, it took twelve issues for the arc to be over. To top it off, the Whisperers arc is actually quite a good arc that balances out lighthearted/hope that you mention, along with the horror of the cult like Whisperers (which a lot of fans claimed they wanted to see a religious cult within the TWD world). There is so much they can do about the show to extend it beyond Season 8, which I believe will be the closing of AOW

Bazooka Jane likes this.
  9. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    As for the reviewer, I reckon he has never read a dystopian comic in his life, geez, I should probably give him a link to Drifting Classroom and see how despair can be played out when kids are the ones stuck in a miserable alternative world

10. rlsatk

rlsatk Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    WOW I've seen some other compilation, not this one! It's fantastic! Wait, was it really done by SKYBOUND?? RK's company? It;s like a FU to AMC and Gimple. Because NO ONE cared for their fucking cliffhanger.

11. rlsatk

rlsatk Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

12. LunaFall

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :tara:.... o-kay...? Um... good morning to you, too.

I didn't say anything about the whisperers because I don't read the comics, but I know about things that happen here and there.... so I can't say whether I agree or disagree with you on that.

I'm talking in terms of the show, as it is its own entity - the comics are simply the source and things can translate, and have translated differently (read: poorly). Being the show that it is and the writing for it, sustainability comes into question and since Season 5, there have been growing complaints about repetiton. They could choose to drag the show into the ground or make sure they end the show on a high note. Maybe Alpha and the Whisperers will be a breath of fresh air, maybe not.... that's up to them and how they choose to handle it at the end of the day.

#92 LunaFall, Apr 12, 2016
    Lennykae and Silas like this.
  13. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think they definitely need to end it after AOW or at least, kill Negan and focus on something else. I hate to break it to Kirkman but bad guys aren't the only conflict they can use. They're falling into this "big bad" cycle and it really loses it's touch after so many seasons. There are so many things they could focus on in trying to rebuild society, evil people don't always have be apart of it. If the show insists on going forward after Negan, I actually think they need to remix the comics to the extent they did in earlier seasons. If Alpha ever makes it onto the screen I'll probably stop watching because there's only so many villains they can rely on for storytelling material before I check out.

At the end of the day, TWD gained most of it's hardcore fanbase in the earlier seasons with Darabont at the wheel. He obviously pulled heavily from the comics but he made the farm last longer, clearly had intentions of pushing off The Governor, all kinds of shit. Clearly, it was a good formula. But now we have Gimple who has a new big bad every season....Terminus, The Wolves, Negan, etc, etc. But when asked, he says ultimately, they're telling the story from the comics. It's funny how the more they start to mimic the comics, the more their ratings go down. It's time to throw a wrench in that plan.

And all good things must come to an end. The Walking Dead needs to be one of those things before it completely fizzles out and the only thing it leaves in it's absence is a plethora of bad reviews and angry fans.

#93 Silas, Apr 12, 2016
  14. lanielove

lanielove Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I hate to admit it but, if they didn't do dumpster gate in 6A I'm thinking that this f*cked up cliffhanger wouldn't have been received as badly as it has.
    What it feels like to me is that Gimple and Kirkman did one to many death fake outs in season 6. I probably would've still hated this cliffhanger finale but I don't believe that I would've been teetering on the line of live watching season 7 and just catching it on demand whenever.

With that said, my biggest fear throughout the entire series was that if they make Richonne canon it would be toward the end of the series.

I know that I wanted to see Richonne far prior to the end of the series because I wanted to see how this relationship works in a post apocalyptic setting.

In the comic, Kirkman doesn't really give too much detail on the relationship between Rick and Andrea, (I think Kirkman is fully aware of his strong points and he's fully aware that he's inept at best when it comes to conveying what a REAL relationship looks like in the ZA).

So I totally believe that after A.O.W that the show should end, even more so I think that by season 7 or 8 most of the main leads in the show, (if they're still alive after A.O.W) are gonna want to leave to pursue other projects.

I mean really, as an artist/actor on a popular tv show that may have inadvertently 'jump the shark", how long can you continue to toll the same old company line, "I think the writing on this show is amazing", without feeling the need to vomit after saying it, Lol.

Jon Snows likes this.
  15. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I like the idea of Alpha in the sense that the Whisperers sound like a religious cult, led by a woman who was already scarred prior to the AZ. I also like how the three communities are coming together to remake society and how the Whisperers want to destroy that because of some weird belief that the AZ has provided a reset button for humans to act like the animals we were always meant to be. Also, to your point about focusing on other things than villains, it would be nice, if the GA actually wanted that, but lbr, all they want is to see who gets killed in the next episode

Lilly965 likes this.
  16. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I blame SG for this because the only time he shows interest in writing for characters who are not his favorite, is when he is ready to kill them. He doesn't take time to develop these characters enough to make the audience care about them. To make the audience be interesting in who these characters are and where they are going. He doesn't take time to develop the family dynamics within the group. I mean Carl and Michonne relationship is one of most interesting and popular relationship on the show and we did spent a long time not seeing this relationship, except when he was ready to make Richonne cannon.

So without these relationships and characters development to interest the audience, the only thing left for them to do is root for and look forward to who is going to be kill next.

This is why I really, really wish SG would spent more time developing characters/relationship

hewontgo and Jenna Alaki like this.
  17. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I don't know about that. I have been following those who are unfamiliar with the comics and outside of the fandom, prior to being sucked in the fandom because of Richonne, and they would always wonder who will be walker bait. Some people in the GA are simply not sophisticated enough to want a horror/dystopian story that do not focus on the gore, but on the daily horrors the characters face. And unfortunately, they seem to be the ones who dictate how the story goes

Jenna Alaki likes this.
  18. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I respectfully disagree. Most of the people I know who have stopped watching have done so because that's pretty much all they do in TWD...is die and run into crazy people. While I'm as bloodthirsty as the next guy and think it's time to kill a big cast member I also recognize that TWD is turning almost comical in it's 'who will get it next?' line of thinking. Most of the reviewers and complaints I've read have boiled down to the same thing....the show is getting repetitive. I think we've encountered different versions of the GA.

Jenna Alaki likes this.
  19. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Oh I am sure we have encountered different side of the GA. Most of the ones I follow are on Facebook, which is saying much. I don't disagree the show is getting repetitive, I wished the part of the comic they would follow were the little moments where the characters are interacting while rebuilding society. Those were the moments that affected me the most about it. They need to slow the pacing and bring those moments into the show. I just don't know if the some of the GA would want that because they expect to see someone be killed in every episode

lanielove likes this.
  20. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I know Im late to this thread but I have refused to forgive Gimple for this cliffhanger, and I wont forgive him, so to come up on this is giving my whole entire life. The slayage is wonderful. I find great glory in the fact that everyone hated it too