1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Glenn's Death: Would you have preferred if Glenn died at the dumpster?

Discussion in 'Glenn / Steven Yeun' started by Doctor Grimes, Oct 29, 2016.

Tags:
?

Would you have preferred Glenn died at the dumpster?

1. Yes.

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. No.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    There's been some rumors/speculation that Glenn was originally supposed to die in "Thank You", but this decision was later revoked and it was made into a fake-out instead. This would explain why Glenn had a fainter impression after "Thank You" (no arc, no real significant scenes) and also explain some of the weird finale/premiere shenanigans (like Nicotero admitting at WSC that only Abraham was supposed to die, but Gimple changed it).

So... would you have preferred this? That Glenn die at the dumpster? Or did you like that he got Lucille'd instead? (If you had to choose between the two).

2. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Dumpster, hands down. I think Glenn got better material in 5B and pre-Dumpstergate 6A than he did in the rest of S6. I guess that's not saying much considering he didn't even get crumbs in the rest of S6 but still. So much of my anger has been that Glenn got absolutely nothing before he died while minor characters like Beth got focused heaped on them.

Plus had he died at the dumpster they wouldn't have crushed his soul by having him kill before they offed him. :ogg:

3. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Agreed. I would've preferred the dumpster after seeing Glenn's treatment in season six leading up to him getting killed because Daryl took a swing at Negan.

Glenn's story had some narrative substance in 5B ("Spend", "Conquer") and "Thank You" felt like a more "natural" end to Glenn's story than any of the nonsense that followed.

21melpomene and Clutterbuck like this.
  4. 21melpomene

21melpomene Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I said yes simply because I thought it would've been a gutsy writing move to have Glenn killed as a byproduct of his own graciousness. He gives Nicholas a second chance, tries to help redeem him, but Nicholas won't let himself be redeemed and inadvertently takes Glenn with him. Accidents like that would happen in the apocalypse and we haven't seen too many deaths like that in the show (Beth's was an accidental death but also, IMO, stupid and self-inflicted in an overt and unsatisfying way).

I also said yes for a selfish reason: because people like me who weren't spoiled for Dumpstergate wouldn't have had to grieve twice. I sobbed uncontrollably at what I truly believed was Glenn's death but was able to move on over the next couple episodes. Then he returned and I knew I'd have to deal with some level of grief all over again. I just don't understand what the point of Dumpstergate was if they were just going to kill him a few episodes down the line. It feels like a waste. They could've spent that time fattening Glenn's season 6 arc and given Dumpstergate to some Alexandrian or someone else if they had to have it. Whatever. :|

Gooey Goobert and Doctor Grimes like this.
  5. The Last Big Kat

The Last Big Kat Vengeance For The Plunderers
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't really know. I dislike both possibilities. They were both disrespectful to Glenn in different ways. One way at least ended on an arc for him, even if I think the "lesson" for the arc was dumb, but the grief for him would've just been washed away like everything else in 6a. The other was a lot more traumatizing, but happened at a time where his death would at least have some importance, which is like a double-edged sword.

Both were unnecessary and disrespectful. One came with an additional few months of hearing the same shitty ass arguments over and over again, with a bonus argument after the premiere. And that way his death fuels the greasebag, whereas the other option at least it only fueled Maggie and I guess Rick's stupidity.

I guess between the two, I'd rather he died in the premiere just because it meant I got to hold onto him a little longer.

But Glenn should always have been more than just his death.

6. 21melpomene

21melpomene Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    To his true fans, he is. :hug:

7. The Last Big Kat

The Last Big Kat Vengeance For The Plunderers
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :gsmile:

21melpomene likes this.
  8. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's a shame the show began to just string Glenn along like a firework ready to pop as opposed to a character.

The Last Big Kat likes this.
  9. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    This is how I feel about this! I was unspoiled for DumpsterGate, and I was a hot assed mess afterwards, sobbing uncontrollably, but at least Glenn died, as you said, graciously, even if Prickolas didn't deserve my precious pumpkins grace. At least he died in vain trying to do something good, as opposed to watching his head getting bashed in to a pulp by a psychopath. If dumpster gate had not happened, then having Glenn actually be given an arc WORTHY of him and SYs talent, a chance for Glenn to shine, then I would have at least tolerated (very little) but gotten through the SP without losing my mind. Sadly, Dumpster Gate was a cruel trick by Gimple and company that just riled up so many fans, made even worse with the SP. The ONLY consolation with Glenns' death in he SP is how much it will fuel TF 's rage and fight against Negan. Either way, BOTH sucked HARD and I had to be a sobbing hot mess on both occasions while my Glenn loving heart was shredded to pieces yet again. Thanks Gimp and Kirkman! :rant:

And you all are correct, Glenn was and ALWAYS will be more than his death. T_T:(

The Last Big Kat and 21melpomene like this.
  10. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    No, I would have preferred if he had died trying to protect Maggie and his baby, not because fucking Daryl couldn't control his ass. Not because the writers wanted to use him as another fucking stone around Daryl's neck so that people can feel sorry for fucking Daryl. I'm not mad so much about Glenn dying in this episode, I'm pissed off at the way he died and how his death is going to be use to give the audience reason to feel sorry for fucking Daryl.

So no, I would have been okay with him dying in this episodes instead of the dumpster, if the writers hadn't done it the way they did.

11. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Agreed. Both deaths are cruel in their own ways. With Dumpstergate, even if they come upon his body, no one would know the circumstances of his death but at least he ended with a storyline. With Lucille, it was traumatic and graphic as hell, but at least his death would leave a resonating impact on the whole group.

It really is hard to choose. Glenn is my favourite character, so I wouldn't want to seem him ever die, but if I had to choose, I would say a closer adaptation of the GN Lucille scene. The Lucille scene of the show is ten times more frustrating than the GN.

candi18z and The Last Big Kat like this.
  12. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The dumpster. That was a very emotional scene for me where as the Negan scene just had me annoyed.

13. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    No dumpster. If the others could trace him and Nicholas (which they probably wouldn't have time to do), by the time they got to him, I don't think there would have been anything left so there would be no closure for the characters if there isn't real evidence that Glenn was killed. Needs to be a witness. At least with Lucille, Maggie saw him die and can properly bury him.

14. CordeliaMathews

CordeliaMathews Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    No. He died using his last bit of energy to comfort Maggie. As awful as it was, I still prefer what happened over him dying alone.