1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Helpless civilians

Discussion in '7x02: The Well' started by Belle, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Belle

Belle Perpetual notion machine - what if...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Why are so many of the communities we encounter on the show filled with helpless citizens. The Governor presided over lot of them, ASZ was filled with them, Hilltop is almost completely populated with them, and now we learn the Ezekiel is keeping things from the masses because they'll be afraid.

At this point, shouldn't everyone be more aware and capable? For me, this is starting to distract. I realize some people would excel in their abilities - but really? How could anyone in this environment be so helpless and continue to survive?

Does the helpless civilian technique work for you?

ClassicWoman and C-Ben like this.
  2. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    A lot of those communities already seemed to have people in them, so they didn't see as much shit as TF did except the ones that ventured out. I also think keeping the people fed and happy without having them be on the front lines leaves them complacent and easier to control.

3. BumpinGrimes

BumpinGrimes Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Yes, and like Zeke said "people like to be led". Everybody doesn't like to be on the front lines or be responsible for others or make the tough calls (and accept the blame when those calls go wrong). If someone in this situation says they can keep me safe, best believe I'm aligning myself with them.

4. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Actually The Kingdom isn't filled with helpless civilians and that's what makes it so refreshing. Ben told Morgan that Ezekial is keeping the deal with the Saviors quiet because he knows his people will want to fight and knows, with their numbers, that they wouldn't win and they would lose people.

It was clear with the opening montage that there are true soldiers in the Kingdom who know how to fight with a variety of weapons and who are not afraid of the walkers. It's also clear, with men like Richard, that they have people who will be ready to go to war when the time comes.

Sure there are 'regular folk' in the kingdom who contribute to the greater good of the community in a variety of ways, but I believe that that is a reflection of society as a whole. People fall into roles they are best equipped for but in times of true need, one hopes that everyone will step up.

Mousey, Sasha Dixon, Belle and 3 others like this.
  5. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is like ASZ, Rick did not think that the people living there would ever step up but when they were most needed they did.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  6. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Ok, here is my take on this. Let's put ourselves in the survivors shoes for a sec. Imagine, at the beginning of the virus, watching your friends and family become ravenous creatures intent on eating you. You are now forced to do the impossible: kill said loved ones. It is a traumatic experience, to say the least and will severely impact your mental state. Not only that, but I assume most of the civilians were probably from DC, a city so dependent on government, unlike say, Atlanta. They would inevitable seek out a semblance of normalcy to better deal with the trauma they underwent. The Kingdom clearly provides that by appearing to be a little paradise in this hellish new world. They probably do not want any reminders of that brief violent life as their coping mechanism.

Belle and kookypip like this.
  7. ClassicWoman

ClassicWoman Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I was thinking the same thing last night!! But i agree that the Kingdom may be different than ASZ and Hilltop..Hilltop doesnt have a lot of fighters and im kinda like...hrmm...how did they make it this far? Especially under the leadership of a non-fighter like Gregory. More "fighters" or at least people adept at killing walkers should be around, right? More peoole other than the Saviors and Ricks group should have those skills because we assume that the people who have survived had some kind of grit to make this far after the Turn. im still confused at the folks who still cant even kill walkers. i dunno though .

Belle likes this.
  8. Belle

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Fair points. It's clear that the Kingdom has a security force - I'm not including them when I reference Helpless Civilians. Your point about Ezekiel's concern that the community would want to fight is a solid one. That certainly indicates a different spirit than what we've seen from the other communities.

Maybe there isn't enough information yet to say the Kingdom is populated by helpless civilians. I based this notion on cobbler talk, the choir, and Ben's ineffectiveness (I thought he was a stand in to show us the capabilities of the civilians). But, there's nothing to say that choir can't become a serious task force if necessary. Carol might not be the only one more capable than she looks.

My point about helpless civilians in the overall story is that this seems to be less and less reasonable/likely/realistic to me. I think by now there should be some core survival skills required by everyone. I didn't see any indication that the civilians in the Kingdom or on the Hilltop are any more prepared than the ASZ folks were, and I think it makes no sense as a recurring backdrop.

9. Belle

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Right, this is why I posed the question. It's confusing to me to think people in this environment can't handle themselves. Maybe they can and we haven't seen it yet. But if they can't - it doesn't make sense to me. It's like living on a boat and not knowing how to swim. Even if you never have to swim, you should know how and practice just in case. Right?

10. Belle

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Hmmm...interesting. I'll have to noodle on this. Thanks!