1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

How and When?! (Judith)

Discussion in 'Rick / Andrew Lincoln' started by Autumn West, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Autumn West

Autumn West Watchtower Sniper
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    This is something I have been pondering over. How and when did Rick know that Judith wasnt his? Do you think it was all the way back when Laurie was pregnant is Season 3 BEFORE she died or after? Did he hold it all in for that long? The more i think about it, the more i am amazed. It makes me love Rick all the more and the fact he told Michonne this deep secret was EVERYTHING to me. However, id love to hear what you guys think.

lovingdead and Katbird like this.
  2. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Rick had figured out about Lori and Shane too, and he never said anything, and had forgiven both of them.

3. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    He definitely knew before Lori died. I mean it's hard to say but I expect he probably figured it out as quickly as he as figured out what was going on between Lori and Shane. Rick's not stupid and I don't think he'd have to be an expert in biology or math to realize that it was more likely that Shane got Lori pregnant. Andy made several comments after 7x04 about how telling Michonne was just Rick voicing it aloud. It wasn't a revelation for Rick, he'd already come to terms with it, and it just didn't matter. I think it makes the situation all the more beautiful really, that we don't have an exact moment to point to where Rick said he knew, because the paternity hasn't mattered to him, Judith has been his daughter from the get-go.

This is one of Andy's post 7x04 quotes: "Well, it is, but it’s also a great secret. It’s a great, great secret that he’s been holding on to for a long, long time. It’s also a very smart way of understanding why he’s behaving in this way, because he’s been behaving that way with regards to his child since the outbreak, since he got the news. There’s a scene with Lori where it’s almost touched upon — outside on the farm, there’s a scene where he makes peace with whatever’s gone down and that’s, I think, a key moment. He doesn’t voice it, but it’s there. It’s in the air."

4. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I think he knew the minute she said she was pregnant, hence the whole "is there anything else you wanna tell me" line and she confesses to her and Shane being a thang.

Rick is such an upstanding guy. Gosh I love that man.

5. Rickdickulous Trash

Rickdickulous Trash Bring me the Samurai...
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Absolutely agree

6. Autumn West

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I did some research and apparently Rick and Laurie had only met up about 10 days before she told him she was pregnant Rick just did the math and accepted it. Plus she already thought she was pregnant so she must have had signs prior to Rick even showing up

7. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This, exactly. Plus he told Shane in 18 Miles Out that he figured out the Shane/Lori thing out really fast so I have a feeling he knew the moment he found the pills.

8. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    I am actually surprised by people who thought there was even a possibility that Judith was Rick's biological child. People really weren't paying attention in health class because the arithmetic was never in Rick's favor and Rick knew that :dale:

9. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    @idcabtthisish , so right. I think he has always known, it just didn't matter to him. He is her daddy. She is Judith Grimes. That is how it is with Rick (I do wonder if Carl knows that Rick is not Judith's "father". I remember Chandler Riggs discussing it on TTD, but can't remember exactly what he said/thought Carl knew about it all.).

Philly Girl likes this.
  10. Autumn West

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I always kinda felt it, like we all said, the time didnt add up. It was just hearing him say it. That was a powerful scene man. I audibly gasped when he said it because i didnt see it come. That scene is drastically underrated to me.

Armte, lovingdead and Katbird like this.
  11. accioval

accioval Watchtower Sniper
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Yep, I agree with this completely. He told Shane that he figured out about them pretty quickly, but that it was still going to be his child, and his family. The emphasis was clear that he knew that Judith wasn't his from the moment that Lori told him about the pregnancy at the fence, or even before then. Lori was pretty shook when Rick dropped that knowledge on her, because she figured he hadn't caught on yet, but he's far from stupid.

12. Riko813

Riko813 Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I think Carl is a very astute young man and he imo figured out that Judith is not Rick's biological child, but he doesn't care, she is still his sister(biologically on his mother's side). I don't know if he thinks Rick knows but he is not going to tell Rick because he might think that may put a damper on the loving bond between Rick and Judith and he may think it might cause Rick pain if he was told Judith wasn't his.

Katbird likes this.
  13. Deep_Ricking

Deep_Ricking I like it raw.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Lori said, "Shane thinks the baby is his. No matter what, the baby is yours." I think Rick accepted it before that conversation, because he didn't argue with that sentiment.

14. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Yup, as soon as the pregnancy was revealed, Rick knew the baby wasn't his. The time just didn't fit. He accepted it. It made Lori even more b*tchy, because he accepted what she did, but she blamed him for what he did. I also think the pregnancy is one of the things that made Rick so resentful afterwards, I guess it crept up on him. He didn't look at Judith for a day or two. Then he finally and wholeheartedly accepted her. That was beautiful to me.

15. idcabtthisish

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Chandler said he suspects Carl knows because he knew Lori and Shane were together

Katbird likes this.
  16. idcabtthisish

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I think the REAL question here is does Rick know Carl knows that Judith isnt Rick's? I always wondered about that Carl Poppa moment- "remember Shane?" Like THATS a question I cant answer. Does Rick think Carl knows the truth? Cus we all know that as smart as Rick is, he can also come across as aloof.

Mullet of Denial and Katbird like this.
  17. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'll add my voice to the choir....Rick knew Lori was pregnant with Shane's child from the moment he knew she was pregnant. And that's reason 456 why I love this character so very much. He didn't have any inner quarrel, didn't have any bout of resentment. He manned up and not only accepted the situation.....

• He pleaded with Hershel to let them stay on the farm because his wife was pregnant
    • He told Shane that Lori was pregnant to knock some sense in his stubborn skull
    • He assumed paternity over Judith in his final moments with Shane- by then that baby WAS Rick's in all ways
    • He spent a winter moving his family around GA looking for a safe place to settle before Lori gave birth
    • Once he got over the trauma of losing Lori, that baby girl was his and he even accepted a basket full of formula from a crazy lady with a sword to keep her fed

18. Mullet of Denial

Mullet of Denial Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm curious about this as well. I hope it's eventually addressed on the show.

But yeah - there's no doubt that Rick knew the second he found out Lori was preggers. Going off the rough timelines online - Rick had been reunited with Lori and Carl for like 10 days before finding out she was pregnant. Plus things seemed strained between the 2 of them prior to the coma/outbreak so I doubt they were doing the deed frequently at that time. I don't think it was hard to anyone in the group to figure out that Rick wasn't the father.

19. Ship Verse

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

I actually don't think he does and I would prefer it that way honestly until Judith really starts growing into her looks and looks uncannily like Shane. I mean, Carl was a child, not a dumb child, but I still think there should be some naiveté despite Chandler's age or not. Judith has always been his sister, his father's daughter so why would he even insert the Shane possibility there. Also why would Rick care that Carl knew? It's a moot point since Shane is dead.

20. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    As others have stated better than I have: I think Rick always knew. He knew the moment he found out Lori was pregnant.

However, looking back, I do think Rick always harbored maybe some small hope Judith was his all the same -- which got snuffed out when he looked at Judith after she was born.

This scene in particular is where I think it "sunk in" that Judith wasn't his. Beth hands Judith to Rick saying she thinks Judith has Lori's eyes, which makes Rick really look at Judith...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (the last gif is broken for me for some reason -- Tumblr has been ridiculous recently)

His face says it all.