1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

How and When?! (Judith)

Discussion in 'Rick / Andrew Lincoln' started by Autumn West, Jan 3, 2017.

1. NeeCee81

NeeCee81 Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The moment Lori told Rick she was pregnant he knew the baby wasn't his. Hearing Rick voice Judith's paternity to Michonne was every thang. I do believe everyone in TF (Shane era) knows Judith isn't his biological child but it's isn't talked about because it doesn't matter.

2. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    [​IMG]

lol This Gif made me laugh out loud lol. He is looking like "aint no way this is my baby"!

3. ReeciePiecey

Patron

Walker Pets:
    They know. Carol cracked a joke about Baby Shane to Daryl in episode 3.1.

Rickdickulous Trash and NeeCee81 like this.
  4. NeeCee81

NeeCee81 Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    In that case it's common knowledge but not discussed.

5. ReeciePiecey

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Sorry I didn't read your original post correctly. I thought you were speculating, but I see upon rereading you were making a statement, I'm just agreeing and providing the episode with the evidence.

Rickdickulous Trash likes this.
  6. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I actually care cus I have a fan fic story in mind for this that I'd prefer to be canon and it's hard for me to get into Rick's head about this, making the story hard to write.

7. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Basically. It's all over his face: this isn't my child.

8. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    @Doctor Grimes, I completely agree that Rick knew all along. He had to come to terms with it all over again once Judith was born, but he knew from the start.

@MamaGrimes , you note that "he assumed paternity over Judith in his final moments with Shane." I love the way Rick put it to Shane:

"You're gonna kill me in cold blood? Screw my wife? Have my children-- my children -- call you daddy? Is that what you want?"

He used the plural: my children. Not "my child" or "my son", but "my children", showing that even though his eyes were wide open, he still considered Judith his, just like Carl was his. He even repeats it for emphasis.
    It's honestly amazing to me and a testament to Rick's character that he would feel and behave this way when the child has not even been born yet AND the biological father was out for Rick's blood.

9. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    D: I am emotional.

10. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:

Yes, Doctor Grimes!! I remember this scene vividly! Ricks face said it all. This was his final confirmation that Judith was indeed Shanes. He went in knowing this, hell like so many stated upthread, he knew she wasn't his once he found out Lori was pregnant. I mean, how could it not be Shanes? Rick was in a coma for what, a few weeks when the ZA hit and I doubt t
    he and Lori were having regular sex prior to that. Their marriage was strained so I cant see them being all that intimate with eachother.

Then with Shane, he was thirsting for Lori and you know they were getting it on regularly when they could post ZA. That was obvious in Guts. Rick knew about Shane and Lori pretty much the moment he returned, he could feel the tension between them and put two and two together. The man is astute! But a small part of him was hoping Judes would be his, hence his look in the above gif. He knew. But like he told Shane in 18 Miles Out, " they are my children" and yes, that included Judes. He already laid claim to Judes, Shane be dammed. Why I uber LOVE me some Rick Grimes. He manned up, took responsibility for a child that wasn't his and never ever resented her or treated her less than because of it. Some men would, but not Rick Grimes. He has loved and protected her, done everything for her and Carl from the beginning. It's who Rick is and those who question him as not being a good father can have several seats. He isn't perfect but he loves the hell out of his children. It's why his Judith confession to Michonne was such a pivotal moment for him. Speaking the truth out loud, but really showing that he knew Judes wasn't his, and him not caring or making a difference for him with his feelings and love for Judes.

#30 ALDGRichonneLover, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  11. Deep_Ricking

Deep_Ricking I like it raw.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Maggie was tactful last season and said Judith is looking like Lori. :lol:

12. ALDGRichonneLover

Patron

Walker Pets:

Everyone knew, they just never voiced it to Rick, and rightly so. That whole situation was a hot mess. But I felt Rick handled it like a trooper when he could have killed Shane in 18 Miles Out when he confronted him and let him know, he knew about the affair He held his tongue during so much of that madness.

BumpinGrimes likes this.
  13. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    When Rick was telling Michonne I was crying so hard especially when he said that he was hoping he would be alive to protect her and teach her how to survive, that is when the dam broke T_TT_TT_T:sob::sob::sob:

14. ALDGRichonneLover

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Yes, to all of this. I was a mess as well. WONDERFUL scenes and Andy was amazing here!

Katbird likes this.
  15. Rickdickulous Trash

Rickdickulous Trash Bring me the Samurai...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    That's what I said...
    I knew it from day one

16. Rickdickulous Trash

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Seeing the recognition in his eyes...

This really is heartbreaking

But Rick doesn't care...She's his kid

17. Rickdickulous Trash

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Yes!

There was never any question with Rick!

He claimed Judith right then knowing her paternity was in question.

This may be the MOST beautiful thing I love about my sweet Mr. Grimes..

18. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I am just a sentimental fool...and cheesy to boot! Lol! I thought he was just looking at her kinda awed like people, men, especially, do when a new baby comes. I was all crying when this happened because I was thinking: "Look how glad Rick is that the baby is fine! A new life in all the death! Team Family will triumph over an upended world and forge ahead!" Did I mention I was cheesy, too?

Rickdickulous Trash likes this.
  19. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    She was so sweet to say that to him. They all love each other so much. Just a continuation of what her dad said way back at the prison to Lori about Judith. The baby doesn't care and neither does Rick...nor any of them.

20. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I feel like he always knew but he went through phases of acceptance. He knew as soon as he knew Lori was pregnant. He knew on another level holding and really looking at Judith the first time. I think his reluctance at bonding with her right away was another level of knowing and accepting. He knew what he was about to take on and needed a moment to handle it. He may have had anger and resentment but I like to think he knew he had to be at a certain level of calm to hold that baby and make her his.

I love that Rick is fully embracing of the truth in this situation. It makes him even more of a hero and a solid man of high values. Michonne had to fall deeper in love with this man after the reveal. She probably had a moment of thinking Rick would have protected Andre better than his own father had they met.