1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

How and When?! (Judith)

Discussion in 'Rick / Andrew Lincoln' started by Autumn West, Jan 3, 2017.

1. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Is anyone else getting Saint Joseph vibes from Rick's story? Maybe I'm reaching but there do seem to be some parallels.

2. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Y'all, since we are talking about this, do you think maybe Andrea told Michonne about the Lori/Shane/Rick situation, and maybe she had an inkling about Judith not being Rick's? She (Andrea) told the Governor...remember, in *Arrow By the Door Post (?), the Governor mentioned it to Rick in their meeting? He was being all smug that he knew, trying to get under Rick's skin, rattle him.

#42 Katbird, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    BumpinGrimes likes this.
  3. Katbird

Walker Pets:
    I don't know. I'm Deep South, country, lol. The Joseph I know is Old Testament son of Jacob, sold into slavery, Joseph...not the same, huh? But, please, do tell. Elaborate and enlighten.

lovingdead likes this.
  4. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    No, I mean Joseph adoptive father of baby Jesus Joseph. He had to accept that Mary was pregnant and he wasn't the father, hide them in a foreign land, maintain a marriage and raise a child that wasn't his. He also fought fiercely to protect Jesus and view it as his top priority.

Joseph is patron Saint of 'The New World,' immigrants, common workers, travelers and families.

#44 lovingdead, Jan 5, 2017
  5. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I keep hearing this theory but I just don't think Andrea told Michonne. She genuinely seemed like this was all new to her. Also, just because Andrea told the Gov doesn't mean she told Michonne. Two different people, two different relationships. I think if she is supposed to have already known we would have gotten an indication of such.

#45 lovingdead, Jan 5, 2017
  6. Katbird

Walker Pets:
    Oh, gosh...I feel like a heathen! LOL. Just, never use the "saint" at the "chuch", my bad, lol. That is a good parallel...I agree it is very similar.

lovingdead likes this.
  7. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I'm not understanding your references about Saint and church?

Katbird likes this.
  8. Katbird

Walker Pets:
    Well, we of the Missionary Baptist persaussion just don't insert "saint", not in my very limited regional/cultural experience, that is. In the Black worship experience /tradition, at least from my limited knowledge, it is not that common. We just kinda use the name of the Patriarchs in a slighly more familiar way. And, saying church without the " r" is just a colloquial prounanciation of that word. I hope I didn't offend or upset you. (Did I?).

lovingdead likes this.
  9. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I'm black and from the south and my daddy is a southern baptist minister, haha. I'm slow and didn't get it at first but understand now. Sometimes hard to decipher meaning or intent online. I'm presently learning about the Catholic faith and it just came naturally to call him Saint Joseph so I didn't get right away that others may not reference him as such. No offense or upset from me, I was just not connecting the dots. I also have the flu so I'm woozy/hazy at the moment, haha!

OT/P.S: There are lots of black Catholics, just not many in the south. I was shocked up here in New York.

Katbird likes this.
  10. Katbird

Walker Pets:
    I'm sorry you're not feeling well, bless your heart. Yes, definitely hard to get the nuances of language usage on line. I am glad you asked me...I would hate to think I had done something that bothered someone. I enjoy this forum so much. Feel better! ☺

lovingdead likes this.
  11. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    To steer this back on topic a bit, Im glad the show has touched on this again now but also hasn't beat us over the head with it. They could have continued to make the love triangle drama a touch point again and again but they haven't. I respect it being recalled for continuity but also like that they haven't cheapened that storyline. It still lives inside Rick but he isn't consumed by it.

12. Katbird

Walker Pets:
    Rick is at peace with it, all of it...he may still feel some guilt (his response to Michonne when she tells him it isn't his fault when people die and he says "not all the time, but sometimes, it is." He feels things so deeply...I wonder which times he thinks is his fault, that he is to blame?). But, Rick shelters, protects, provides. Judith couldn't ask for a better, more devoted, loiving daddy, and mommy. There may come a time, when he can actually be glad that Shane is her "father". You know what I mean? Don't want to put people off, stir that pot, but he did love Shane.

ALDGRichonneLover and lovingdead like this.
  13. accioval

accioval Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    I definitely see/sense Saint Joseph vibes. Saint Joseph (Rick) accepted Jesus (Judith) as his own son, so that Mary (Lori) would not carry the shame and be stoned to death, and immediately tries to find a home for them to have safe keeping (prison) even though he nearly left/divorced Mary for this. Much like Rick, Saint Joseph was away for awhile (I think?) and came back to find Mary pregnant, and even though he knew that the child could not be his, he took care of him as his own. Scott does enjoy his biblical imagery.

14. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not a perfect visual parallel but just meant to show that Rick and Judith are always framed together to show something "special" about their bond. Rick made a great personal sacrifice in accepting her and protecting her. In turn, she is always framed as the symbol of hope for a New World.

Katbird and accioval like this.
  15. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    Rick did love Shane, he loved Pre-ZA Shane. If he sees some of that Shane in Judith, the good Shane, it will be a beautiful thing and a whole new level of love and acceptance. Same for finding some of Lori in her too. I'm not a big fan of Lori or Shane but they made a beautiful child and what was good in them is in her. And what is good in Rick and Michonne will be in her too.

#55 lovingdead, Jan 5, 2017
  16. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I believe everyone in the family knows too. Andrea for some reason felt she needed to disclose this information to the Governor. Reason # 429 to hate Andrea. Andrea was only in Woodberry for a little while and she tells the Governor about Rick, Lorie, Shane and Judith? Wow! Just messy. She really was Dickmatized.
    The rest of the family has the good grace and common sense to respect Ricks decision to accept this child as his daughter and not speak of it.
    My question is do you think big mouthed, messy Andrea dropped this info on Michonne? They were alone together for quite some time and obviously discretion isn't something Andrea is capable of. Did Michonne know about Judith's probable paternity before Rick disclosed it to her?
    Rick is such a good guy (lil unhinged but who isn't?). He loves this child, his daughter and he would die for her if necessary. This must have been hard to accept but he did it and he hasn't looked back since.

17. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Awwww. So sweet.

Katbird and lovingdead like this.
  18. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I'm going with no. Just because Andrea told the Gov doesn't mean she told Michonne. In her mind she was closer to the Gov and was probably trying to impress him on some level. Besides that if Michonne knew we would have some indication that she did. Otherwise it's just speculation and not canon. I see no purpose in her knowing ahead of Rick telling her story wise. They would only do that if it was touched on that she knew. Otherwise it doesn't matter and probably hasn't been given thought. I think it's more compelling that Rick shared this with her and she didn't know.

19. BumpinGrimes

BumpinGrimes Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Agreed. Andrea was probably just doing some "pillow talk" with the Gov and blabbed, but she never told Michonne. I believe that she did describe Rick to Michonne though because of the way she stared at Rick when she was brought into the prison (like I stated before), something like "Rick kind of became the leader after awhile. He's a little crazy but, man, what beautiful blue eyes!" LOL

Katbird, lovingdead and Ms.J.Richonne like this.
  20. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The way Danai was talking in her BTS for the episode, I don't think Michonne knew either. It was meant to be a powerful monent between them and that would have been lost if it was old news

Katbird and lovingdead like this.