1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll How do you think Rick and Michonne's story will end?

Discussion in 'The Richonne Zone' started by Doctor Grimes, Dec 20, 2016.

?

How do you think Rick and Michonne's story will end?

1. Rick and Michonne will both live, rewarded with a happy ending after their struggles

60 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Rick will die to safeguard the family; Michonne will live on to raise the kids and carry his memory

21 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. Rick and Michonne will both die, going out in a blaze of glory like the warriors they are

16 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. One will die and the other will follow after, unable to cope (David & Betsy-style)

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Their fates will be ambiguous, never disclosing any facts about their death (The ??? ending)

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Rick and Michonne will break up, going their separate ways before having different endings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Flashforward ending which shows them both dying at points in the far future (outside the show canon)

11 vote(s)
    9.2%
  8. Other (Please describe)

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    All good things must come to an end, and so must Rick and Michonne one day.

How do you all think their story will end? Happy? Sad? Somewhere in between?

Or use this thread to talk about what ending you would like for Rick and Michonne.

SHEAKENBAKEN likes this.
  2. SHEAKENBAKEN

SHEAKENBAKEN We're The Ones Who Live
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    They'll both grow old together and die of natural causes.

I wont accept anything else!

3. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Erg. This is hard. Not because it's painful, I've been preparing myself for a while and I've never been shy about saying I want Andy to get the hell out of Dodge and do other things, but because there's too much that's up in the air. I really don't think Andy and Danai are going to be sticking around much longer thus Rick and Michonne would both have to die since I can't see them just running off the to join the circus, they're too important to just fade into the background. BUT I don't want them both to die because I don't want Carl and Judith left without at least one of them. :| So, clearly the only option is to end the show in a couple of years, rather than drag it out to Season 432, so they both can stay alive. :rickgrin:

4. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm pretty sure Rick will die and I don't want Michonne to suffer after his death so I would like them to go out in a blaze of glory together.

I see them both dying in the Whisperer war with Michonne dying in Rick's arms (like how Ygrite died in Jon's arms...her last words will be I'm still with you...Omg why TF am I thinking about thisT_T) when Carl finds them, he realizes Rick has also been fatally wounded and then Rick dies...his last words to Carl No more kid stuff T_T

After that, the series comes to an end and I go into therapy:gabe::gabe::gabe:

5. SHEAKENBAKEN

SHEAKENBAKEN We're The Ones Who Live
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If they die, this is the only way I'll accept it happening! :sadrick:D:

6. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Rick and Michonne will both live, rewarded with a happy ending after their struggles

7. vicarious70

vicarious70 Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    Tears welled up in my eyes when I read this. That would be so sad.

TameFan, Nightmare, Rhona and 4 others like this.
  8. Ares

Ares A bitter bunker husband.
    Staff Member Graphic Designer Patron

Walker Pets:
    Michonne shoots zombified Rick :harold:

9. BumpinGrimes

BumpinGrimes Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    I'm going to my happy place now :dalewtf:

10. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think they're going to die. (I know I just promised I wouldn't write that down again.)

My real hope is that they survive and their story ends like the 6B key art, with them standing side-by-side (Carl and Judith with them), looking down at a burning town (Alexandria?). Their future ambiguous.

What I could also handle: Rick and Michonne are married. Maybe they have a third child. They've lived peacefully for a few months. Rick and Michonne step out to patrol, say hi to a few people, the camera pulls back to an overhead shot to reveal their community is about to be overrun by walkers. Since I think they are going to die, I really, really want to know they've had some peaceful, happy times together post-Negan and I want it to be ambiguous. And it would be a callback to 6A when Alexandria was overrun and they survived it.
    Nope. :drink:

11. coffeebean

coffeebean Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Amongst the crumbs under Richonne's table
    Doc,
    you know that poster, the one of them standing and overlooking their "kingdom"? That's the ending I want for them. I do not want to see them go out in a blaze of glory. I want them to be the two warriors leading the rest into the New World. When I think of TWD ending, that's what I 'd love to see. I feel Gimple owes the fans that. Knowing that one or the both of them dies would not just kill me, it would pulverize me- dramatic, but that's how I would feel. They and the other survivors deserve to have as happy an ending as possible. I don't feel that would be asking too much, seriously. Now whether we get that is another question, but I don't feel it's asking too much.

Have a great evening.

12. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm watching Richonne videos to recover from my own post :gabe:

13. slade3

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yes! I think you mean the key art poster for 6B? That's what I chose as my hope for them. I hope that happens.

While I think their characters have lived in a way that makes dying in a blaze of glory seem like their calling, they have both also shown that they want to stop fighting. They want to live. So maybe they will get that, instead of the other. Maybe their story will end very differently than the way it has unfolded. My fingers are crossed Gimple wants that for them, too.

DavieVC, Katbird, MamaGrimes and 3 others like this.
  14. Valerie

Valerie Professional procrastinator....
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I voted for
    Rick and Michonne will both live, rewarded with a happy ending after their struggles

Because that would be the happiest way and my heart cannot take either one of them dying.
    If they die, then they must go out together like the bad ass couple that they are....

DavieVC, hewontgo, SweetDee85 and 4 others like this.
  15. Mischonne

Mischonne Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I like the idea of a time jump where we know they lived but eventually die of old age

I think I posted this before but it was around season four I think where Rick killed a cop and I thought to myself he needs to die Rick really needs to die this man can never find any happiness or joy ever again in life but then he and Michonne got together. And now dammit he's happy I want to see him happy. It wouldn't be right that Rick sacrificed himself for all these strangers only to die.
    NO I can't accept Rick dying. And if Michonne dies Rick will never come back and that's no way to live.

DavieVC, hewontgo, SweetDee85 and 6 others like this.
  16. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I will answer but
    [​IMG]

My hope beyond hope beyond 72 more hopes is that Gimple (never Kirkman because he wants to have his child live forever) somehow convinces AMC to stop milking the cow by season 10.

AOW ends in 9a....Time skipping in 9b with some world building and then Whisperer war in 10. Lots of OTHER people die, Negan chews his tongue off out of boredom in the jail cell, Daryl loses his hair due to a sudden onset of male pattern baldness run amok and Rick and Michonne ARE ALIVE. Carl is ALIVE and Judy is practicing her slicing skills with a croquet mallet.

THEN. Then.........

In the season 10 finale, they get their kick ass victory, Rick and Michonne are leaders of a vibrant community and there are some images of looking at sunrises or sunsets...It's all beautiful and Bear McCreary's music is getting us going. Those of us who have been spoiled will know what's coming and the virtual tissue box will be empty as Allie overdoses on buckets of popcorn and Hide the Pain Harold is painfully overused.....

Time jump a decade into the future....Rick gets bitten saving his family (the too tragic version) OR he becomes ill with a disease that would have had a cure pre-ZA but he's outta luck post-ZA. Either way, goodbyes are said and Michonne puts Rick down after he passes so Carl doesn't have to do it a second time. :harold:

I have always always always imagined the ending of the series as a scene of Michonne and Carl standing together overlooking the community Carl inherited from his father, leaving us with the impression that Michonne will be there to guide Carl for as long as she's alive. I also firmly believe there will be a montage with Rick's voiceover of the speech he gave to Carl in the barn loft in season 2 about dying.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

17. coffeebean

coffeebean Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Amongst the crumbs under Richonne's table
    Hey Slade!
    As to the bolded, this. They want to live. As to Gimple- fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes and whatever else I can twist and cross.

Have a great evening.

DavieVC, Nattie25 and slade3 like this.
  18. Vivis

Vivis Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The thought of any of them dying is heartbreaking for me, however I don't see either of them living without the other. So, I'd rather see both of them dying instead of one of them outliving the other. But that would be heartbreaking for me and I'd have to go to therapy for many,many years to get over this. I really want them to live happy ever after because they've gone through so much that they should be rewarded with a happy ending - at least that's what my heart wants. But, well that's TWD and I don't see a happy ending happening.
    However I believe that Rick and Michonne are soulmates and I'm sure that when they die they'll find each other again in some other life because they're just meant to be...And now I'm a mess! T_T

19. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I am of a few thoughts on this -- and I could see it play out several ways given the breadcrumbs and clues the show has left.

Rick and Michonne Both Die
    I am not sure how, but I think this is very possible this is the route the show will take. The reason being is that both are so in sync/in tune with the other. It's like their hearts beat as one. We've seen several times how their body movements even seem to mirror each other. Michonne's passionate speech to Rick in 708 highlighted their unity with the repetitive use of "we", "our", and "us" -- making them a unit. A "package deal." Rick losing Michonne, or Michonne losing Rick? It would be like one half of their soul dying. I just don't see them surviving the loss unless they're scarred terribly after.

Plus there's the parallel imagery with Betsy/David. Friends who became lovers in the apocalypse. The pain of losing David was so great, Betsy killed herself. Similarly, I see either Rick or Michonne wanting to stop living if they lost the other because the pain would be so immense. Not only that, both Rick and Michonne have had eerie imagery linking them to walkers, which could be a prelude to their final fates.

@slade3 brought up this fact as well -- they're warriors. Warrior lovers. It is poetic and fitting if they both go down in a blaze of glory ("a warrior's death"), not sitting back into old age.

Rick Dies Tragically, Michonne Carries on for the Kids and Community
    This is another possibility. I could see Rick getting critically wounded/ill, Michonne agonizing over it, determined to follow Rick out, but Rick making a heartfelt plea for her to live without him. To live for Alexandria, for the kids. Michonne, knowing it's Rick's final wish, hangs in there. Though heartbroken and never falling in love again, she finds purpose in guiding the kids and the community to the future as the new leader of the ASZ until Carl can take over. (And I have a feeling once she felt she was "done" with her duty as a caretaker, she stops fighting death and joins Rick -- not necessarily suicide, but just letting it happen.)

Both Rick and Michonne Live
    It's dull anymore for a protagonist to die, and it's very possible AMC, Gimple, Kirkman know this. Everyone and their mother expects Rick to die, so what would shock them? Well, maybe Rick getting a happy ending. I think people will be genuinely "What the fuck?" if the ending scene is Rick smiling, completely content with his new life. (A mind-fuck of mind-fucks.)

Michonne said in 708, "We are the ones who live," and it's reminiscent of comic Rick and Andrea's "We Don't Die." Maybe it's true -- and it's a sign Rick and Michonne will be the ultimate survivors. Unlike other couples, other warriors, Rick and Michonne actually make it. They live to see the future, they get rewarded for all their hardwork by getting to rest in peace with their family.

Needless to say, I vote for "Rick and Michonne both live" because it's plausible -- and it's the one scenario I want to happen the most. (Because I am a sap -- and I need it to happen.)

20. slade3

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This entire post is lovely, but I love the last choice most. I haven't voted yet, because I hadn't decided whether to choose what I want, or what I think most likely to happen. But I'm going to vote now and I'm choosing "Rick and Michonne both live" because it's what I want and because after reading this, I also think it could happen. "A mind-fuck of mind-fucks" is what I'm rooting for and Rick living a happy life with Michonne would be totally unexpected.

Thanks. I feel I can function again. I know I sound dramatic, but this discussion solidly freaked me out and I didn't expect that.