1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Is Daryl to blame for Glenn's death?

Discussion in '7x01: The Day Will Come When You Won't Be' started by Doctor Grimes, Oct 24, 2016.

?

Do you blame Daryl for Glenn's death?

1. Yes.

126 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. No.

8 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Somewhat. (Yes and No.)

27 vote(s)
    16.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. candi18z

candi18z Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:

I agree with this. The writer's knew that Daryl's fans will stick by him no matter what he does good or bad. If Michonne or Morgan had been the catalyst for Glenn's death the hate would be intense. Michonne would be called every racist name in the world. The showrunners/actors would be issuing statements trying to stop fan hate. Richonne would be the most hated couple on tv and Rick would be hated for loving Michonne and he would be accused of caring more about her than Glenn. Danai would probably leave the show due to fan backlash over Glenn. Morgan is hated now because he dared to try and befriend Carol, if he had been at the clearing and had punched Negan the hate would be too intense for Morgan to be able to stay on TWD. Racist fans would be threatening LJ.

But, Daryl gets a free pass. His fans are going out of their way to make excuses for him. They are all on Tumblr and Twitter begging other fans not to be angry at Daryl. They cannot bear the thought of one person being angry at Daryl. So, Daryl will get a free pass from the fans and the writers will keep making Daryl the catalyst for horrible events until the fans have had enough.

DarkandStormy and cadence_T like this.
  2. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    And you can bet if the roles were reversed and Glenn hit Negan and it resulted in Daryl getting the bat, oh, my Lawd, the outrage, the vitriol, the hate, the saying Glenn should have gotten the bat because that's what happened in the comics and how dare the writers change that storyline but conveniently forgetting that Daryl is not even in the freaking comics, so they can really do with him what they want. The double standards in this fandom are hilarious. When it benefits people's faves, they have to stick to the comics like glue, but when it doesn't, then the writers need to remix things or outright change them. And I'm not mad because I'm glad that they remixed my fave's backstory, lol! But sometimes the twisting and bending and rewriting TWD history to make things fit is a bit much.

TPTB have already sent out the memo to the media and the GA that, "Hey, it's not Daryl's fault. See, even Glenn doesn't blame him." :lyin: Even going so far with that stupid poll that they couldn't wait to tout on TTD that the majority of the GA didn't blame Glenn. But, yep, they picked the right character to take the heat because his fans will forgive him pretty much anything, not so much with the other characters. But they've already put it out there that this will affect Daryl's story going forward, so they're pretty much telegraphing that Daryl's manpain and him going emo again will be a main focus for Season 7 instead of how Maggie and Sasha will deal with losing their SOs, and from seeing the spoilers and who's been filming and not, that seems to be playing out.:hot::rant:

Harshmallow and cadence_T like this.
  3. RichonneLvr218

RichonneLvr218 Blanket believer
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I answered yes, but allow me to elaborate. Unlike quite a few on this board, I like Daryl. I think the character is interesting. Flawed, he makes plenty of stupid decisions, but he's someone you can root for. Someone you want to see do better and make better choices. I cannot stand Carol, but I digress.

When it comes to Glenn's death, Daryl has some blood on his hands. Negan made it clear, one pass for the emotions. They'd just seen this man brain Abraham, and what does Daryl do? Jump up and punch Negan for Rosita. That was a bad choice, and, yes, that was Daryl's fault. I still like him, but truth is truth, and Glenn is dead because Daryl lost his head, which led to Glenn losing his. This is another example of the bad decisions he's made. Just like going off to find Dwight and the Saviors. If he'd stayed put, Michonne, Glenn, and Rosita wouldn't have been out there. Daryl should have plenty of guilt for all of this, and he's earned every bit of it.

4. 21melpomene

21melpomene Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    As someone who also still likes Daryl but also thinks he's made some crap decision as of late, I totally agree with your opinion.

5. Dixon

Dixon Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I don't believe that the blame should be put on Daryl. But if it does, he should only get 1% of the blame. After Glenn went to protect Maggie, while Negan did say he wouldn't allow it, he also meant speaking. He went over to Carl and started speaking as if he would kill him. Then Rick yelled, "Just stop this!" And Negan said, "Don't make me kill the future serial killer." So, even if Daryl hadn't punched him, he would still be looking to kill someone else. Or maybe Rick would still give him the stink eye, and he would just start killing Glenn. Or maybe he would make as though he really was going to kill Maggie. And Glenn would jump up again. and he would die. Yes, I am very angry with NEGAN about Glenn's death. But do I blame Daryl? no. Not one bit. And when he said he didn't care about who he was going after Dwight for, all he meant was he was getting something done that he should have done a long time ago. And FYI, Daryl doesn't look for comfort in Maggie after Beth's death, nor does she give it to him. He Comforts her, by telling her that Beth was tough. And with Sophia, Carol doesn't comfort him, she won't let him pull away. After Hershel, all Beth said was that he does care. And last, the only person who comforted Daryl in the Saviors' sanctuary was Daryl. END OF STORY.

6. Jimmy

Jimmy Bitter Bunker Husband
    Staff Member Graphic Designer Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Glenn jumped out of the line the first time and that's where Negan delivered his "First one's free" line (and he meant jumping out of the line, not talking) and that was it.

All right, listen.
    Don't any of you do that again.
    I will shut that shit down, no exceptions.
    First one's free. It's an emotional moment, I get it.

Rick did not jump out of line, he stayed kneeled when he said "Just stop this!" and no stink eye to Negan would've gotten anyone killed, considering Rick flat out told Negan he was gonna kill him someday after the whole event and Negan just clicked his tongue at that.

There's two sides of this story. One side would be his fans seeing him standing up to Negan cause he was taunting Rosita with Abraham's death and the other side; non-fans seeing it as a stupid outburst that brought nohting but misery to Team Family.

FYI: Daryl didn't lose his sister, it was Maggie. Why does Maggie have to comfort Daryl? :tara: Same with Sophia, Carol lost her kid, why is she supposed to comfort him?

7. Harshmallow

Harshmallow Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Exactly. Daryl was taken to the sanctuary due to his own stupidity...for punching Negan. What the hell was he expecting to happen after that, I wonder? And if he "suffered" at the sanctuary at all was because of his guilt for getting Glenn killed. Even he knows he fucked up. He doesn't deserve comforting. He deserves a well-deserved punch. By Maggie no less. Who you know, was the one who lost her SO and father to her child.:diedaryl:

Jimmy likes this.
  8. MsAntiSocial

MsAntiSocial Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Why would anyone expect Carol and Maggie to comfort Daryl after their family members die?

9. Dixon

Dixon Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Daryl does have more than two purposes, other than being hero and comforting Carol. You All NEED to BACK OFF on Daryl. His other purpose is helping to take care of Judith, and the whole group. He is not selfish. In fact, the only time he was ever selfish was in season one, when all he cared about was getting Merle back. And sometimes he does do things like punch the enemy out of instinct.The only reason he can't control his emotions is because He grew up to trust his instincts. And though Carl remained seated, Daryl was still raised differently than everyone else in the group.

Philly Girl likes this.
  10. Dixon

Dixon Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    A lot of people are saying that.

Except for Negan. If he had never tried to control everybody, then none of this would have happened.

Daryl never killed Negan's wife, she was bit by a walker. And she wasn't his wife, that's why they took off in the first place.

I would have punched Negan MYSELF if I was there, BUT I would have gotten the job done.

#250 Dixon, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
  11. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Intent does not equal impact. Did Daryl intend to get Glenn killed by acting up? No. Did that fact 100% happen, yes.

Let's say Daryl sat quietly while Negan was torturing Rosita with the Abe stained bat, and then Negan was like you know what, just for shits and giggles I'm going to kill another one. Then well, Negan made that decision on his lonesome. Daryl all but opened the door.

We can excuse him for acting on instinct all we want because "I would be mad too", but it doesn't change the fact that they would have left burying one body instead of two, had Daryl and everyone else stayed in line.

12. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Please understand that this is not a Daryl positivity or appreciation thread so there will be posts that are critical of Daryl and his behavior during this episode. If you continue to participate in this thread, please know that there will be posts that cast an unfavorable light on him.

Regarding this thread, I've posted my answer long ago but I'll reiterate- Daryl can still be a fan favorite character and still be loved for his big heart and loyalty to Rick and TF but if he had stayed seated and not taken a swing at Negan, there's a chance Glenn would still be alive. That's all I need to know to assign blame, even partially, to Daryl.

13. MsAntiSocial

MsAntiSocial Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Daryl punching Negan was stupid and selfish because there was no way he was going to be able to kill Negan in that moment with fifty armed men surrounding and a gunshot wound in his should. If you're a Daryl stan you can absolve him of blame and excuse his actions because he had a hard childhood, but that doesn't fly with me in this situation. I like Daryl and I don't think he deserves to suffer forever for his actions but he was wrong and he should get some blame.

14. Dixon

Dixon Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    True, BUT he said if anybody moves, He would cut Carl's other eye out and feed it to Rick. Everyone need's to get the story right.

15. Dixon

Dixon Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    You are all just looking for someone to blame when it's no ones fault but Negan's.

16. Dixon

Dixon Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Actually, he was a sixteen year old playing a twelve year old. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.

17. Dixon

Dixon Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    It is, in no way Daryl's fault. Daryl is loyal, and I saw in a video, that Daryl saw Negan as his father, because his father was cruel, and crazy. Get the facts right. You should all know that if Daryl had learned to control himself, he would have never punched Negan. Thus Negan would be looking for more excuses to kill Glenn. He even showed in episode 4 that he thought Maggie was hot, and that night he saw that Glenn and Maggie would do anything for each other. So he wanted a very big excuse to kill Glenn, and no one else but Glenn.

18. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It is NOT canonical that Daryl saw Negan as his father. That is an interpretation. If someone doesn't see it that way, it doesn't mean they don't have the facts straight.

We don't know what would've happened if Daryl hadn't punched Negan, but the fact is: Daryl punched Negan, and Negan killed Glenn because he told the group not to jump out of the line. Cause and effect.

One can say Daryl doesn't deserve blame. One can say Daryl shouldn't be hated for this. One could say it's an honest mistake. One could say Daryl didn't intend to get Glenn killed. But, Daryl's actions were the catalyst that led to Glenn's death. Entertaining any other scenario is fantasy.

19. Dixon

Dixon Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Things were not calming down. Negan had his bat in Rosita's face, and he was getting angry that she wouldn't look at it. And no one in the show has ever felt sorry for him. He won't let them.

20. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Okay that's twice now you've told me to get my facts straight. Let me clarify a few things. This is a television show not a documentary and not a news story. Sure, there is what is called canon. There is what we see on the screen but there are no facts here. It's a fictional TV show. This forum is for members who want to analyze and discuss this show and, yes, debate the plots and the actions of the characters.

As a dedicated fan of Daryl, you are within your right to defend him just as I am within my right to disagree with your assertions and interpretation of what you saw. What I saw was a man, loyal or not, disobey a thug's direct order and moments later Glenn was dead. Daryl can still be a great guy, a loving friend and an abuse survivor but I am stating my opinion that Daryl has culpability for Glenn's death.

We will never agree on this so carry on. I would advise you, however, to moderate the tone of your posts as they do come across as overly aggressive.

#260 MamaGrimes, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.