1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article It’s time for The Walking Dead to put up or shut up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MamaGrimes, Oct 10, 2016.

1. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I smiled at this guy's opening rant because I believe it will resonate with many of our saltier, tired, frustrated members! (at one point, I wanted to hug him. I'm sure you can guess which part it is.)

His spec based on NYCC commentary is off but I'd love to know what you think of his opening. Is season 7 put up or shut up time? Do we think they can pull it off after all the hype?

BY ROB MARVIN
    10.09.2016 :: 3:00PM EDT @RJMARVIN1

At the end of this season, The Walking Dead will have given us 99 episodes. The season 8 premiere will be the 100th. When TWD producer and director Greg Nicotero gave that fact during The Walking Deadpanel in a packed-to-the-gills Madison Square Garden (during this year’s New York Comic-Con), it struck me how little of this post-apocalyptic reality we’ve actually seen in that time; how narrow and frustrating a scope we’ve all been living in as viewers.

In this great big world full of zombies, The Walking Dead has given us over 4,000 minutes of television and all we’ve seen is Atlanta, a whole bunch of Georgia forest, some small towns here and there, and now a chunk of Virginia. All following the same cast of rotating characters, picking them off conveniently when the plot needs a boost instead of tying them into something bigger.

This upcoming season is set up to finally be different. I really, truly hope The Walking Dead is about to give us the kind of season showrunner Scott Gimple has been promising since he took the wheel and began righting Frank Darabont’s ship. After a clown car of inept showrunners steered the show far too deep into schlock and facepalming predictability, Gimple has done a half-decent job of bringing some depth, complex plotting, and actual surprises back to the show.

But Scott, it’s season 7. It’s time to stop stalling.

The Walking Dead is one of those shows that has somehow always managed toGodfather Part III me the handful of times I’ve been ready to give up on it. After the Sophia farm quagmire, the horde attack pulled me back in. After all that goddamn nonsense with The Governor, we got Terminus, the arrival of Abraham, and a much-needed infusion of fresh blood. After forcing Beth’s death in the show’s maddening m/o of developing a character just to ax them, Alexandria and the show’s larger end-game kept me invested. That end-game is what I want from season 7.

Read the rest here.

2. Walkingonsunshine

Walkingonsunshine The Ones Who Live
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    @MamaGrimes I'm just taking a wild guess here but I think the below is probably your favorite part of the rant:

"If you want to kill Daryl, kill Daryl. Fanboys and girls be damned. Riot away." :lol:

3. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Possibly....

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, I do agree with what the writer is saying about the narrative:

'throw your old tricks and narrative crutches away, and treat every episode like a finale. No more stalling.'

What better way to breathe life in a middle aged show than to move away from the insular, almost claustrophobic storytelling of late and show us how very big the stakes are? Show us the bigger world and how other communities have survived. In my opinion, Rick can still remain the central focus because HE is the leader who is going to bring these disparate communities together to fight Negan. I want to believe that Gimple et al can get their shit together and pull this off because the arc has been handed to them on a silver, fanboy approved platter.

Time will tell of course. As it always does.

4. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's funny what makes some people salty and what makes others...umm unsalted? when it comes to this show. He wants a larger world and all summer I've heard complaints about new communities and characters. He doesn't care who died but all summer everyone has ranted about who died and how it should have been this person or it should have happened this or that way. The dark nature of the premiere and Negan's presence is off putting to some but others say the show needs to go there. I find it all very interesting because some of the things that will turn people away will make other people start loving the show again.

I like what he had to say about gimmicks and unfulfilled promises. The CH and dumpstergate mistakes will follow them until the end of time, there's nothing they can do to fix those huge errors in judgment. Even if 701 is really good, it won't make up for those mistakes. I agree with not pandering to fans...just tell the damn story and for me that means all fans from the salt shakers to the fanboys and girls...the comic purists, the bloggers, the GA... Idc who is complaining or what they want, just tell the damn story.

5. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    A-freaking-MEN!

You are so very right. And I believe that many who participate in the fandom, moi included, may have very very different hopes, expectations, demands of the show than someone who simply watches it week to week. Gimple's primary concern should be coming up with plots and storylines that compel viewers to watch his show instead of the 100 other options out there. In a time when one can watch an entire season of a Netflix show in a matter of days, why should folks keep tuning in week after week for a show in its seventh season?

I adore this show and am in it till the end but for millions of others? They simply want to be entertained. They want heroes, villains, gore, comedic relief and a reason to keep watching. My hope is that Gimple and his crew have figured out what to do this season and will make up for dumstergate and other wrong turns.

6. Walkingonsunshine

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Here's the thing Gimple has never proved to me that he can really handle a large cast so as much as I agree that I'm finally glad TF has settled down somewhere and now can explore all the communities in that area and expand the world I'm excited but I don't have much confidence in Gimple's handling of these storylines. Yes, the other showrunners Darabont and Mazzara were hot messes for different reasons the reasons for Gimple being a hot mess himself is he is good at telling insular stories and even sometimes he falters with that. He's not very good at big picture and often has to change the viewpoints and motivations of the characters on a whim just so that it fits with where the big picture needs to go. It's as if he gets caught up in writing these insular stories he forgets to keep on track with big picture. A showrunner dealing with numerous communities at once needs to be good with both big and small picture and I think the main reason for Gimple's stalling is because he knew it was not his strong suit or what he likes to write so now we are going to get a plethora of communities thrown at us all at once this season each with a bottle episode of its own taking away the momentum that was built over last season and also taking us away from seeing some of our faves for long periods of time. It's now going to be a rush job with litte depth and the only saving grace is that at least some of these communities seem interesting.

7. Danaisbestie

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If the communities get a bottle episode to introduce them how is that a rush job with little depth?

lovingdead likes this.
  8. Walkingonsunshine

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    They are rushing to fit it in all in about the communities in one episode for each community so that we care about them come MSF. Instead of introducing them before hand with gradual placement throughout the season and building to the MSF.

The Last Big Kat likes this.
  9. Danaisbestie

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I put my response in tags just in case it's spoilery.

Ehh...that's kind of what they did imo. Hilltop was introduced last season. We met a couple of Kingdom folks and know they are friends and not foes because they were willing to help Morgan and Carol. Ezekiel deserves a grand entrance and his own episode, not just a cameo here and there. We know about the Saviors but more about Negan and where he sleeps will be dispersed throughout the season in episode 2,7&11. The only other community to be introduced happens in the second half of the season in episode 9. The MSF isn't about the communities so I'm not sure why we need to care about them at that point, it's more about what happens at Asz that makes Rick realize he needs to fight and reach out to those other communities.

Nefazta, Denie39 and lovingdead like this.
  10. Michroolz

Michroolz Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Well put because s7 is definitely make or break for me. I'm so fed up with having my intelligence insulted that if I don't see an improvement by the mid-season finale, I shall be starting my own letter writing campaign to DG begging her to leave the show so that I can be set free of its mind boggling ineptitude. You know it's time to let go when you are enjoying complaining about it more than enjoying praising it and I'm pretty damn close to that.

My real fear though, is that it is too late to turn around this juggernaut because it is clear that TPTB were never really into telling a good story but were more about selling advertising at a premium. While that remains their main concern, Derle Dixon will survive and continue to mangle every story line he's involved in.

11. Walkingonsunshine

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I rather cameos to keep reminding the audience of their presence and seeing how the characters situation and arc change from episode to episode. A bottle episode where they try to give you everything they can about The Kingdom in one setting to me is more rushed than actually telling the story of the Kingdom throughout the numerous episodes.

Lyra_Nation likes this.
  12. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I definitely agree with him about Gimple's stalling and the gimmicks. God the gimmicks. :ogg: But he seems to be hopeful that things will change whereas I am not. :lol:
    Get ready for a gimmicky dream sequence-esque thing, pal.

Otherwise I get the vibe that he and I aren't really on the same page.

He says this "I want to see a new society forming and fighting with zombie gore and well-drawn characters as the backdrop, not the soap operatic foreground..." which leads me to feel like he was one of the people who couldn't stand season 2 whereas I'd give anything if the characters just talked to each other like that again. That statement also seems like he just wants to see a decent story and cool shit. Sure, the characters have to be decent but they're less of a concern for him. Really all I got in terms of caring was that he thinks Abe is a boss. :cheeto: It's totally fine that that seems to be what he wants from the show, that's actually how I view GoT. I'm not about to say the way someone wants to consume this show is wrong it's just not how I view it. The characters are incredibly important to me, and yes I want a good story but not at their expense. I get terrible flashbacks of every time I felt like Gimple threw characterization in the ditch in order to force a plot point. Gimple wants to tell a certain story so he stuffs square pegs into round holes rather than trying to change the shape of the hole to fit the pegs he has.

P.S. "felt-tied fake nerd" :lol::lol::lol:

13. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The best part of this article was the way he described Hardwick. :lol: spot on.

It's always interesting to see the differing perspectives of the fans of this show. We are all soooo diverse in what we consider to be important or interesting. The thing the walking dead has going for it, imo, is it's characters. If it weren't for the characters and the amazing talents portraying them, I'd have checked out by now. Even if I was still watching, I certainly wouldn't be spending time on a forum chatting with other fans about it like I currently am. Sure, the story has it's moments of ~greatness? but for the most part leaves me scratching my head and feeling like all I ever do it WAIT for it to get better. I feel like I am always waiting. This show tests my patience.

Anyway, my point! I think I had one... I agree with the author's sentiment that it is frustrating that the show has taken this many episodes to get to this point. Looking back, it does seem like there's been a hell of a lot of unnecessary filler injected over the course of the seasons that could have been avoided to move the story along more effectively.

Kinda OT, but people LOVE GoT so much, and while I enjoy the show, I am not even close to as invested in it as I am in TWD. This show has the heart that GoT lacks. I honestly could care less if any character on GoT died. I don't love any of them. They do a good job of shifting the story between the different characters and moving the plot forward, but they don't get your heart involved. If TWD has anything going for it over GoT, it's that.

That made very little sense, sorry. I'm rambly this morning :lol:

14. Danaisbestie

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

That was a good TWD vs GoT comparison. One is plot driven, the other is character driven. GoT is the better show in terms of production and writing but it doesn't have a soul....there's no heart there. It's a great story and told really, really well (except for the disaster that was season 5) but that's it.
    TWD stumbles often with consistency in the writing but I never stop caring about these people and I want to see what happens next in their story. That's the difference and why even though TWD isn't the best show, it's still my favorite.

15. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I tried to get into GOT the first season and couldn't because of what you just said. I watched the first three episodes and felt attached to nobody. Contrast that with TWD which I started watching during season 4 and right away I didn't know who anyone was or their story but instantly liked them and became invested. There was something I could relate to with each of them. I have a coworker who watches both as a casual viewer and he agrees. A show doesn't have to be the best but it has to have characters you root for and are attached to. I was a huge TB fan in the beginning and it was because I loved the characters right away. It wasn't the ridiculous plot lines of later episodes that drove me away, they did start making me weary, it was when I stopped caring about the characters I used to love. That's when I stopped watching. TWD still has me invested in the characters I saw in the beginning.

coffeebean, Denie39 and Danaisbestie like this.
  16. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Re: the article, not sure if I can trust the perceptions of someone whose predictions are SO off base. Now that I know who was Lucilled, my guesses were at least in the ballpark, lol.

Ah, but I jest a little. A little.

I guess I'm not as hard on the show as most people. Totally agree with @Appetence, that this show is largely character driven and I can roll with any show that keeps that in tact, and can ignore the other stuff as long as it doesn't get too bad. Never watched GoT, but I can't hang with a show that is all sparkle and no heart. And in my opinion, TWD hasn't gotten that bad except for a few missteps. Dumpster gate, Rick's behavior in 5B and 6A, and the CH. But I largely enjoyed seasons 1-5. Honestly, some of their problems are trying to stay true to the source material, which isn't THAT great to begin with, when in some instances they should veer left for the show. And they have veered left for some things, but not others.

17. Mrsthicke

Mrsthicke Slopping Pigs
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I was with ya'll till ya'll said Game of Thrones has no heart.

18. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I just didn't get attached after three episodes. For me I can usually tell if I'm into a show after one episode but I gave this one three and wasn't into it. It obviously resonated with you and millions of others and that's great. But I have also talked to a number of friends who watch and most have cited the intrigue of the politics and high drama as what sucked them in above emotional attachment to characters. Nothing wrong with that since people watch shows for different reasons. Like my coworker said he loves anything with that medieval warfare feel and this is the best of that genre to him yet he isn't into horror as much but TWD got him win the characters.

19. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Team Stark kids till my dying breath

20. Mrsthicke

Mrsthicke Slopping Pigs
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    HELLZ YEA BABY!

tuswig likes this.