1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Judith's Paternity: Rick's Confession

Discussion in '7x04: Service' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This moment in this episode spoke volumes. As Andy said on The Talking Dead, his confession highlighted the pain and measure of acceptance that Rick is capable of. That he is able to swallow his pride, suck it up, all out of love for others. He is able to burden himself with that pain -- because his heart is so full.

And I love that Michonne just listened. I am sure she's heard about Shane before, from Andrea, but the bits about Judith's paternity? Doubt she'd heard that. And not from Rick himself.

It was such a powerful scene.

saga, msbold1, wonderwoman and 31 others like this.
  2. BumpinGrimes

BumpinGrimes Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Although as a Richonne shipper, I would have loved to see a comforting touch after that confession, but I think it did convey that Rick accepts the burdens of leadership because he wants to protect those he loves.
    The man is all heart and even though it pains him to no end, he'll take the blame, the abuse, the pain, the humiliation because he doesn't want to lose anyone else. He leads the way he does because he cares, not to inflate his ego or get off on a power trip like Neagan. I liked that Michonne told him ut wasn't his fault. Hopefully, what she said will sink in and he can start fighting back again.

3. Belle

Belle Perpetual notion machine - what if...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    It was an important moment for Rick and for Michonne. You just know he hasn't uttered those words aloud to anyone else in the world, and he never will.

4. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    It was the best moment of the whole episode. The whole season for me so far. Rick is special because his heart is so big. He loved Shane and Lori completely. He forgave them before she ever admitted she was with Shane. Baby Judith is all he has left of the two people he loved the most besides Carl before the apocalypse. The two people that probably hurt him the most. He chose to love her as his and to never think of her as anything different. What a man!

To have him share this thing with Michonne, this thing that is so big to him that he cant speak it to anyone else in the family, despite them all being there and knowing. Its everything. Their in love yall.

5. QueenTee

QueenTee Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    That scene was everythang!!
    Rick completely opened up to Michonne and really displayed how much he trust her. It was such a beautiful scene.
    NOW, I want to see Michonne open up to Rick about Andre.

6. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I thought, as I stated in my review, that it was beautifully done. It was... perfect. I couldn't have written it better myself. I think that this'll help them grow together and understand each other a little better. It was lovely and wondrous to behold.

7. Butler36

Butler36 What?
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It was such a great moment because Rick is someone who tends to keep things inside of himself but he's sharing this moment with Michonne because he wants her to be safe and to stay safe. He cut himself open to make her see. And she saw it and acknowledge it. Just a very raw moment.

8. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  9. 21melpomene

21melpomene Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Very beautifully put.

10. idcabtthisish

Walker Pets:
    OMG the pain on his face!!!!! I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now.

Delightfully Thomi and box5angel like this.
  11. idcabtthisish

Walker Pets:
  12. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    One of the best scenes in TWD history. That is all.

But when Rick mentioned, he'll die before her, did anyone just go T_T :( :beth: just for a split second, because then he said he hoped to be there to teach her, raise her, etc.

saga, Denie39, cadence_T and 12 others like this.
  13. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    In a night filled with great scenes and great work from Andy in particular, this was the best scene by far. It felt like seeing season 1 Rick born anew on my screen, with his teary eyes and honest, heartfelt words to the woman he loves about how much he cherishes his child. So beautiful.

14. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It was stunning. It canonically confirmed what I've always believed, that Rick knew Judy wasn't biologically his and that it didn't matter to him. Judy is his daughter and he loves her no matter what. It was such a gorgeous character moment for Rick I actually want to hug Corey Reed. :lol:

15. Rickdickulous Trash

Rickdickulous Trash Bring me the Samurai...
    Patron

Walker Pets:

16. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Andy's acting... I just can't. It was an amazing moment, Rick Grimes is the most honorate man, he's just too much! I have no words. He loves Judith no matter. The whole talk was everything, perfect. It kills me the way he finally feels he can share his feelings, his "secrets", like that, and with someone who won't be judging him or anything. We are talking about Rick, so it really means a lot. And he's doing it because he wants her to understand, he wants her to be safe. He's so afraid of losing her, oh God, poor baby.... and she gets it. It's just too beautiful.

17. Rickdickulous Trash

Patron

Walker Pets:
    God Yes!

Great, great post!

And you know, he said it like it was a hard THING to talk about but easy to be telling HER.

He said it in such a way that let you know their relationship has jumped to another level. I love the shit out of them! I thought they were phenomenal together. I kept thinking how great it would be if there was a show that was just about them, Grimes 2.0.

18. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    T_TT_TT_TT_T

19. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Yes, exactly. It's not easy for him to talk about that, but with Michonne is always different, it's unique. He feels safe with her so he can share it with no fear. He chooses to do so and he needs it, for him and for her. It's huge.

And his little scene with baby Judith in the first minutes of the episode can only make this confession moment even better. She's everything to him, just like Carl. There's no doubt. Just like here's no man with a heart like his.

#19 cgomes, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  20. Rickdickulous Trash

Patron

Walker Pets:
    . Ahhhhhh yes! I am immensely satisfied with their conversations/interactions tonight. He took it to another level!

SweetDee85, lovingdead and cgomes like this.