1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Judith's Paternity: Rick's Confession

Discussion in '7x04: Service' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 13, 2016.

1. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Same here, can't wait for more.

And I hope we get a Judith/Michonne moment at some point. It'd be so sweet.

box5angel likes this.
  2. DirtieBirdie

DirtieBirdie Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Easily one of the best scenes of the season so far, if not the series.

This scene hit the nail on the head in terms of acting, emotional impact, efficacy, brutal honestly and true openness.

If I have to suffer through 10 Negan diatribes for every one of these types of scenes, then it's worth it in the end.

3. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    It was such a beautiful scene T_TT_TT_T

lovingdead likes this.
  4. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My favorite scene of the entire episode and it made my top list for the series. I loved everything about this. Rick was laying his heart out there for Michonne, baring his soul. He will ANYTHING for the people he loves and his love goes beyond blood. Andy's portrayal slayed as usual and it was clear that he was taking on (once again) the burden of protecting his community. He was absorbing the guilt of his friends' deaths and he was trying desperately to make the woman he loves understand so that she can stay safe.

As Danai stated in her Variety interview, Michonne did NOT know Shane was Judith's father before Rick's confession and I'm betting her heart doubled in size to fit the love she feels for this man after realizing just how unselfish and loving he truly is. Danai was sublime as usual.

I'm so happy we got this intimate moment between them in an episode filled with tension and high drama.

5. Mullet of Denial

Mullet of Denial Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

Undoubtedly the best scene of the episode. I know it's not a feel good scene per se, but seeing Rick open up to Michonne like that just made me want to explode.

6. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Andrew Lincoln is one hell of an actor. Beautiful scene. Only thing I would have changed is I wanted Michonne to touch him after his confession. Nothing big and over the top just a touch. Especially after the nastiness that is Negan. God I hate that guy so much.

slade3, MamaGrimes and BumpinGrimes like this.
  7. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    You had me till that last sentence.

ReeciePiecey likes this.
  8. BumpinGrimes

BumpinGrimes Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    It was such a beautiful scene! That look of tenderness in Michonne's eyes is a good parallel to that look of tenderness she gave him after he bit out Joe's throat. She knows he's a man that would do anything, even to his own detriment, to protect the ones that he loves. She felt the same thing for him at that moment as she felt in the aftermath of The Claimers. They may not agree right now, but she fell in love with him all over again right then.

9. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    Yes, Ricks confession to Michonne WRECKED me, like, no lie, WRECKED!!

OMG, AL and DG, just, no words for what phenomenal actors they are!! The vulnerability from Rick, him trying to close the chasm between him and Michonne, with telling her about Shane/Judes, DAMN! DAMN!!! So effing GOOD! I was mesmerized, while my heart broke for them both. How Michonne was so shut off from Rick and he her, BUT, he KNEW what she was doing, and wanted to protect her so badly because he loves her THAT much! Their struggle together and their complexities as individuals who DO fight (especially Michonne) and having to concede to a man like Negan, Michone isnt having it. Like at all. And Rick knows this but he is so scared for Michonne, wants her safe, because he understands how she thinks when she is pissed, lordy, I am just a hot mess with these two. T_T

Michonne's "I will try try" even when every fiber in her being is like 'oh, hell no, we fight this rancid mofo" and Rick is terrified about losing her and TF. Rick loving Michonne's.so much that he speaks about a deep and painful part of his past in order to get her to understand where he is coming from. Michonne loving and understanding, enveloping Ricks painful confession, and loving him even more, yet determined and still detemined, but standing by Rick and "I'm with you" reassurance by assisting him with making the bed on the floor and not going to bed angry.
    So far apart, yet still so in love with each other. Their reactions to eachother, so real, raw and on point. A married couple trying to navigate the horror of their new reality under the thumb of a tyrant and their struggles individually and together as a new couple. I didn't think I couldn't love them even more, and now it's on an entirely new EPIC level for me. Yes, Richonne is the REAL deal in every way, and when they do find their way back together, it will be a thing of effing BEAUTY!! T_TT_T

I thought how interesting that I felt like Rick was kind of Lori in a sense and Michonne, now kid of Rick in this situation. After the whole Lori/Shane.drama, Rick was closed off from her and Lori kept trying to get him to communicate, while she spoke her feelings and he was having no parts of this at the time. I think Rick truly remembers this with Lori, how he didn't say what he wanted before it was too late. The parallel is now, Rick is desperately trying to communicate with Michonne and she is shut down a la S3 Michonne. Rick wants to make sure that Michonne completely understands his POV, is willing to speak, is willing to dredge up and expose painful memories of Judith, put himself completely and utterly out there emotionally all in the name of love and protection of her, Carl, Judes, TF, AZ. That man bared HIS SOUL ya'll and oit so much faith and trust in Michonne during these moments. He let go of any ego or sense of self to really demonstrate just how much he loves Michonne. Damn!!!! So. Much.Feels. The difference with Michonne from that of Lori is that she listened to him, didn't berate him and understood where he was coming from and loved him for all of it. His love, his trust, his selflessness, his vulnerability, the totality of who Rick Grimes is. Total Conquer and A callback. What a beautiful moment from Michonne.

I am so connected with these two characters that I literally felt every range of emotion, every tense moment, every bit of sadness, regret, fear, anger, grief, and most importantly LOVE between these two. I was emotionally spent afterwards. Just thinking about them right now makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry for them. That is the powerful combination of Danai and Andy. They just have the ability to draw you in with their range of emotional vulnerabilities and SLAY you in the process. They are THAT insynch with each other as actors, the depth that they are able to convey with Rick and Michonne. Just.. :ripme:. Their scenes are so damed realistic that I began to feel a bit uncomfortable watching them, feeling as if I was intruding on a RL couple dealing with some major sh*t, recognizing just how intensely they love each other and would die to keep their family together and safe, and me feeling like the child who sees Mom and Dad fighting and wanting to give them a huge hug to make it all okay. Individually, AL and DG are AMAZING as Rick and Michonne's but together, they are :hot::hot::hot:. Richonne has me ALL fu*ked up ya'll. :eugene2::eugene2:

#29 ALDGRichonneLover, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  10. Riko813

Riko813 Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    This scene solidifies, canonizes, and shouts to the world that Rick and Michonne are truly soulmates.

She is the only one who he can bare his soul to, lay himself completely open to, to expose his deepest, darkest, most painful secrets to. She is the only one he trusts to lay himself out there so vulnerable. He trusts her not to hurt him or use what she has learned against him.

She truly loves him with all her heart and loves him even more (if that's even possible) after this because he is willing to bear his soul to her for her to get a peek at this wondrous human being so full of love, compassion, intelligence, integrity, and strength. She sees that he drops his walls completely so that she can truly understand that he is bearing his soul to try to convince her not to go do something rash because he loves her so much and wants to keep her safe. She witnesses and understands that he sacrifices for the benefit and well being of his family, he bends for the benefit of their protection, he is fearful for their lives and not his, he endures humiliation and pain for them and he is willing to continue only for their sake and not his own. He shoulders what most men would have run from long ago. As I believe what Danai has said before Rick is a very good man burdened by leadership and not a man like the Governor or Negan that assume leadership to make them feel like a man.

11. grimesfan2501

grimesfan2501 Survivor of Many Disasters
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I ahree with everybody.The Judith reveal was a very powerful moment. Even Josh McDermott had to as well:

Rick and Michonne speak about what their life is going to be like moving forward. Michonne mentions that everything they have they got by fighting. But Rick doesn’t want to fight; he knows they’re outnumbered. He says they could have some kind of life by playing by their rules. He then tells Michonne about Shane and how he knows baby Judith isn’t his, but it’s his daughter and he loves her. This made me cry. I was an emotional wreck reading that in the script and I lost it while watching the episode. Hope i coped the link correctly

https://t.co/gJ856C9bAf

12. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I thought it was interesting that Rick did not bring up that he had to kill Shane. I don't think he was hiding it so much as still not ready to revisit it himself. I think he still feels guilty and like he failed. Talking about Judith was a first step in healing from all of that. Everyone has had huge losses but nobody has had to endure the personal drama Rick has. Rick's struggle is epic. Im Now so glad they did not let Judith die like in the comics. Raising her as his own in integral to him as a man.

13. Belle

Belle Perpetual notion machine - what if...
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Beautifully stated.

I really wanted her to go to him and hold him. We didn't get to see them physically connect, but we have learned something monumental. Michonne is Rick's safe place. I suspect that goes both ways, and I hope we see it. But right now we know with a certainty that Rick feels safe sharing not only his secrets with her - he also feels safe in sharing his deepest thoughts and fears and desires with her.

This is another thing Michonne and Rick have in common. Because no one doubts that she loves Carl every bit as much as Rick does, though she's not his biological mother. I believe Michonne goes from being surprised about Judith's paternity to being aware of the baggage Rick carries in the span of a few moments. She recognizes his pain, and is supportive in moving forward with him. But, what he says doesn't really sway her because she long ago accepted that she would do anything to keep Carl safe. For her, that doesn't mean accepting a bullshit existence under a dictator's thumb.

I have no doubt they're going to come through this together.

14. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Of course they will get through this together, Danai said that Rick is the love of Michonne's life.

15. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Josh cried when he read the script? D: Oh Josh. I love you. :hearts:

(psssstt @Mullet of Lies)

16. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Someone from the other site actually said Rick was manipulating Michonne by telling her that story:eyefuck:

C-Ben likes this.
  17. Mullet of Denial

Mullet of Denial Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :gabe:

[​IMG]

18. Delightfully Thomi

Delightfully Thomi Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, yeah and Dwight sexually harassed Rosita! People tend to see what they wanna see!

slade3, C-Ben and Denie39 like this.
  19. richonneromance

richonneromance Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I wondered why they chose to have him reveal/confirm this now. I was thinking perhaps Negan is supposed to be an example of what Shane would've become? He does keep saying "Lemme ask u somethin" which was a common phrase for Shane to use.

Cousin Peaches and lovingdead like this.
  20. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I just think it's solid writing to call back to that. It shows, just like in IRL, the things that happen to us stay with us forever. How we respond to it shows us the kind of person we are.

ReeciePiecey likes this.