1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Just Shut the Hell UP! Stop Negan & his Monologuing Thread

Discussion in 'Negan / Jeffrey Dean Morgan' started by Armte, Oct 25, 2016.

1. sharky

sharky Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Right, one of the show's best innovations was how they adapted the Governor to the tv screen. Comic Governor never would have worked well within the TV universe and they acknowledged that. While there was pacing issues with his arc, the Governor ended up being a great antagonist.
    Not only did they NOT tone Negan down at all so he'd feel more real within the universe, they made him more OTT and stripped off anything that made Negan semi-charming. He doesn't at all feel like a real fucking person. If you have Ezekiel with a ~tiger~ who feels more authentic than Negan then you got a problem boys.
    TBH I don't like JDM in this role, even at it's core. I feel like Negan's stature in the comics is integral to his character. JDM as Negan is simply non-threatening, he's a twig.

I can only say thank god the show is so censored. I watched the Blu-Rays where Negan was dropping F-bombs and it was even more cringey and obnoxious.

Kill him ASAP :harold:

2. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    "Why didn't Carl kill Negan? He shot those other guys but didn't get the one he was supposed to get. You would've killed Negan, I raised my kids right."

"He makes me want to pull my eyelashes out with pliers." "Not tweezers?" "No, pliers. That way maybe I'll catch my eyelid and bleed to death and I won't have to watch him anymore."

I love my dad. :lol: My flair for the dramatics seems to be genetic. I also said that Negan is the human equivalent of stepping in cat puke and my dad is still laughing.

3. Carribean_Queen

Carribean_Queen Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    While I love JDM the actor, I truly hate Negan. I heard so much pump and hype about this badss character but I'm truly disappointed. Each time this character shows up the audience must be prepared to suffer through some long ass monologue meant to educate the masses just how badass he truly is. If that be the case, show us ... ever heard that old adage... action speaks louder than words?

Like really Negan? Wow, I'm quaking in my boots. Sorry, I think this character is a joke.

IJS

Katbird, MamaGrimes and SweetDee85 like this.
  4. Carribean_Queen

Walker Pets:

Rick delivers thee kill blow with Lucille then every member of TF takes a swing at his corpse.

Armte likes this.
  5. MadameCassie

MadameCassie Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    I'm surprised how much of the GA loves him now. I saw sooo much love from fans that use to hate him.

6. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Negan is overhyped, overblown, overexposed and has made me long for the days of the Governor. At least his psychotic behavior was hidden from his people until he blew them all away. But Negan? Well Negan is a tyrant, a rapist and a murderer and he's allll out in the open about it. It's as if Gimple & Co. adopted the mantra 'more is more' with this idiot and throwing everything at us all at once.

He rules with an iron fist, he killed Abraham and Glenn, kidnapped Daryl, is sadistically abusing Rick and coerces women in his community to have sex with him. Can someone please explain what the hell the GA fans see in him?? Is it JDM? Because I was over his charm 2 minutes into his 2 hour 6x16 monologue. Is it that he smiles as he kills? Cracks jokes? Do the fanboys wish they were him? :dalewtf:

I'm done with this guy and am thankful that the hiatus at least gives me a break form his bendy back and close talking speeches.:dienegan:

7. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I agree with you. While Negan has been less annoying for me in the last few episodes, I generally am at a lost for why people are drawn to him as a villain. His behavior is overtly hideous, with zero nuance. Even Darth Vader had a method to his madness and this is someone who maimed his own son.

ALDGRichonneLover and MamaGrimes like this.
  8. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Nuance...that's exactly what he's missing. I saw a hint of it when Carl talked about Lori and when he was crying but other than that, he's been fairly one note. It's a puzzle for sure.

Katbird and ALDGRichonneLover like this.
  9. mcsgirl

mcsgirl Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    As someone who has not read the GN, I really had no expectation for Negan as a villian. All the hype and promotion though gave some hope that he would be a worthy antagonist for TF. However, as you say, his character lacks nuance. His threats are repetitive and are as tired and one note as he is. All his posturing and speechifying doesn't create tension; it only makes me impatient for him to SHUT UP and for the scene to move on to something/someone more engaging.

I don't have to nor do I want to feel 'empathy' for a villian to appreciate the character, but to be effective and hold one's attention, there has to be some motive, method, something that underlies what they do, the choices they make--even if the audience doesn't agree with it. Negan's only motive at any moment seems to be whatever he feels like...and that he likes to cause pain. However, even the idea of him as a sadist isn't really coming over convincingly to me as a viewer. The writer's seem unable to write him as charming, yet brutal without making him a total caricature. As for conveying what drives that brutality...total miss. Right now he's just a long-winded, self-aggrandizing, narcissistic, opportunistic bully with a group of bullies-in-training who spends his time finding, then strong-arming and stealing from more productive communities because he is either too lazy or unable to provide for himself or anybody else.

At this point, I have to wonder why all those Saviors haven't just killed him and (re-)formed their own groups.

10. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I love everything about your post! Thank you!

You're spot on regarding what's missing in Negan's portrayal. We have no idea why he rules the way he does and, even more importantly, why the hell he has hundreds of people willing to submit to his rule. All we've been shown is a sadistic tyrant who rules with an iron fist and who has a posse of assholes willing to enforce his rule. To spend an entire half season on this man and is impact on the world around him without giving the viewers anything more than surface level information, is self-indulgent on Gimple & Co's part and has caused them to bleed viewers and receive critical backlash.

Fingers crossed that we see far less of the charlatan showman next half so this show can get back on track!

11. richonneromance

richonneromance Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    I completely agree but I do wonder if Negan is a by-product of society being broken down for two years now? Like maybe it's realistic to assume there would be awful bully leaders like this who just chanced their way to authority? It doesn't make him any easier or pleasant to watch but I also kind of understand that at this point in time, these characters have been in an unruly world long enough to potentially begin building wholly corrupt, broken empires from scratch. They're far enough away from the old world now, emotionally and physically, for these disturbing new concepts to crop up. Negan still sucks though lol.

12. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Focus Less on Sanctuary and Negan
    Daryl’s detainment in the Sanctuary gave viewers a new perspective of Negan’s home base, but little if any information actually came to light as a result. Everything viewers needed to know about the community’s inner workings could have been saved for Carl’s (Chandler Riggs) excursion in Episode 7, and following Daryl's imprisonment distracted from the emotional impact of other characters’ reactions to the season opener’s high-profile deaths.

Now that the “good guys” are coming together, it would make sense for the show to emphasize their perspective while returning Negan to the shadows for a bit. Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s swaggering interpretation of Negan is, after all, much more intimidating, and less annoying, in smaller doses. Negan’s torture and subjugation greatest hits have all been played and replayed, and now it’s time to follow the heroes as they build up resources for an all out war.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/105146/where-should-the-walking-dead-go-from-here/

13. Lennykae

Lennykae Scott Gimple is the Janet Evanovich of TV.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Gimps' office MAYBE waiting 2 say-I forgive you-
    Custom Banner
    I just checked out of random curiosity, and I think the #thewalkingdead hashtag w/Lucille is gone. Hmmmmmm

I hope this is one of many steps to dial him wayyyyyyyyy down.

14. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    This pleases me so much :lol:

[​IMG]

15. Carribean_Queen

Walker Pets:
    I don't even think the casting of JDM was a good choice. I don't feel he's even trying to be the hated douche. Is it just me or does anybody feel that his interpretation is somewhat lacking?

Lilly965 likes this.
  16. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    JDM is a good actor and I've seen him do great work but not here. Then again I think the material is so bad that I'm not entirely sure that anyone could pull it off, but yes some of the choices JDM has made(like the leaning :dale2:) are massive missteps in my book. I still think the biggest issue for me is how the writers/Gimple/Kirkman chose to adapt Negan.

17. Carribean_Queen

Walker Pets:
    I love JDM in his other projects, I know what he's capable of, I'm just not feeling him in this role.

Katbird and Clutterbuck like this.
  18. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    You are right; something about JDM's portrayal and/or the TV Negan just seems off somehow. I don't know the comic or enough about acting to say what he is doing is not the right interpretation of Negan. Is he a mismsatch for the role? Could it be the material, the directing, a combination of factors, some kind of disconnect? Could all of it be deliberate? Writers sometimes want to cause a feeling of dissonance, a sort of feeling of making the reader/viewer uncertain of what they see/hear/know. (It just feels off to me. And, it could just be me, lol.) Maybe that's what the creatives are going for, especially with the reworking of the character for the television audience.

Carribean_Queen likes this.
  19. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    From THR: Critics' Picks: The 10 Worst TV Shows of 2016

The Walking Dead
    [​IMG]

I don't know if you've heard this, but Negan is a bad, bad man. In 2016, The Walking Dead aired eight episodes of people talking about how bad Negan is, followed by eight episodes of Jeffrey Dean Morgan sneering, monologuing and peacocking to illustrate how bad Negan is. Along the way, Negan became so bad he became boring, or else the endless conversations and displays of his badness became so overblown that I became desensitized.

The Walking Dead
    has now killed off too many characters whose names I remember and done too flimsy a job of introducing new characters, with exhaustingly long periods separating characters and diluting the connections between them. Something needs to be done to reinvigorate the Walking Dead zombies and, more importantly, to reinvigorate the show's pacing. The latter process could be started by AMC telling producers, "Get back to doing regular-length episodes, not every story requires 90 minutes," something AMC will never tell the producers of TV's highest-rated show. — D.F.

Source

IMG_1169.JPG

20. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Well, I hate to have them talk bad about TWD, but the critics were never kind to the show and are unimpressed with JDM as Negan. It pains me to say, but maybe the show needs a different kind of reset with the character. They are done shooting for this season, so not much can be done. I hope the writers are in their little room trying to recapture the voices of these characters that seem to have been drowned out by Negan hype and Negan overkill...pun intended.