1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Latest Casualty ‘Always Knew’ Death Was Coming

Discussion in '6x14: Twice as Far' started by Doctor Grimes, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Us Weekly: When did you find out Denise was going to die?

Merritt Wever: I knew that she was only going to be here for over the course of one season. I assumed it was going to be death, because that’s how people tend to get out of The Walking Dead: not in one piece. I always knew that was coming up, and then I think [exec producer] Scott [Gimple] called me and told me how a week or two before I got the script.

Us: When was this?

MW: We started shooting in May of last year, so it was a while ago. I finished shooting in October. But the show kept going.

Us: What was your reaction when you heard how Denise was going to die?

MW: It was interesting. I wondered how they were going to do it. It was fine — I knew it was coming. I think in the books she is bitten, so in the back of my mind, I was like, "I think that’s how it’s going to happen." And then, no.

Us: Would you have rather had Denise succumb to a zombie bite?

MW: Oh, no. I was cool with this. Whatever they wanted to do was fine by me.

Us: Can you talk about the mechanics of taping that scene?

MW: They fit me for a piece that went over my eye. I remember having to keep one eye closed, and that kind of threw off my equilibrium a little bit. Walking, I had to be kinda careful. They just fit me for a piece, and it looked amazing. They had something that stuck out the back of my head, like one of those things you see people wear on Halloween. It looked so good, though, that I actually snuck a picture. I don’t know if I’m supposed to say that. I have no social media, so there’s no danger of drunken nondisclosure agreement mistakes!​

Read the full interview at Us Weekly

Shown and Michele like this.
  2. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    It sucks that she had to go for Daryl's man pain. I hadn't seen Merrit in anything before this but she's a wonderful actress and brought a great dynamic to the show.

3. Lennykae

Lennykae Scott Gimple is the Janet Evanovich of TV.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    So now what? Is the only doctor for miles at Hilltop?

I miss Denise and I still haven't watched yet (might not).

4. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Yeah I liked Denise she felt like a real person you could actually know. I think it was a big short sighted to lose her she had a lot to offer the community.

Shown, richonneromance and SevenStars like this.
  5. QueenTee

QueenTee Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Why couldn't it be Tara?!

Joan Holloway likes this.
  6. Joan Holloway

Joan Holloway Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    In another interview she talked about the controversy about the character being killed off. I thought it was interesting:
    "True, there is that bright side. There’s also been controversy lately over the frequency with which queer female characters on TV are killed off. Another show, The 100, recently killed off a lesbian character and it’s a trope that goes back to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and even older shows. I was wondering how you might feel about fans worrying that Denise has now fallen victim to the same trope.

That’s interesting, I hadn’t thought about it that way. I’d known that this was gonna happen when I signed on, but I never felt like I was somehow not being valued. This was always the plan. And I think in the comic book, I think [Denise] is with a man. I think that they specifically wanted to build a relationship for Tara. But that said, I understand if viewers watching the show really identify with the character or like seeing themselves or some part of the world that they know is real and true and valid and prevalent represented. And then to have that taken away, I definitely see how that would be disappointing in the broader scheme of things. I’m not sure that that’s what was going on here but I understand the sentiment very well and I am familiar with the [trope of] black characters or gay characters getting killed off because [they’re considered] less human or less real or less important and people aren’t gonna care as much. From my end, it didn’t feel like that’s what was happening though. But I certainly understand the concern in the wider culture."

7. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Merritt is so naturally talented, there was just an ease to her acting that I really enjoyed. This sucks. It sucks as a whole, but it really sucks that Denise died just to give misplaced manpain to a character I hate when she was a better character with more potential and was played by someone more talented. I wish it had been Tara.

SevenStars likes this.
  8. michonne

michonne Protecting Glenn Rhee
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm still just so sad over this. Denise was such a great character. Really came into her own. I would've loved to see where she'd go from here. The speech she was giving right before she was killed was spot on. I hate this damn show sometimes. I make a post on tumblr once every month saying how much I miss Tyreese. I think Denise will be another one of those characters for me.

Shown likes this.