1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Lauren Cohan says Maggie will seek 'vengeance' on Negan (EW)

Discussion in 'Maggie / Lauren Cohan' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Interview with Lauren Cohan over the aftermath of Glenn's death.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Negan’s whole goal was to make Rick completely submissive. But what did this act do to Maggie?
    LAUREN COHAN:
    It’s funny because Negan already sees that Maggie has submitted in a way because she’s so physically crippled, and I think that once the worst has happened, then that surge of adrenaline comes and there’s nothing she can do. And there’s nothing left to do. There’s no worse case scenario now. But what Negan’s actions do to Maggie is light this crazy fuse. And we’ll see that burn pretty strong.

I think it’s very Glenn that she gets up and insists on taking his body and she wants to protect him and give him a funeral that he deserves and that overcomes all the inhibition. And so Negan gives Maggie vengeance, and I don’t think that she’s a vengeful person, but It’s going to be a really interesting push and pull this season. You’ll see how she lives on in honor of Glenn and in vengeance of Negan, and it’s a real war in her brain, and in protection of the baby. I really liked the fact that Glenn says, “I’ll find you,” because she takes him with her. It’s difficult to even encapsulate the grief like that.

We’ve seen this evolution in Maggie, especially over the last season and a half. And as horrible as this event was, it sort of occurred to me, is this the final step that turns Maggie into this full-blown leader? Because we see her even in her immense, painstaking grief, sort of taking control there at the end, and telling people, here’s what has to happen next.
    I think that she needs to cope and she needs to push forward, and it’s just that next task that she can take. And as things go on, she needs to do right by people and honor her husband and take care of her child, and those things might become things that make a good person to look up to. But she’s trying to do the right thing at this point, and she keeps him in her mind’s eye, and she keeps her dad in her mind’s eye, and she keeps her sister. We’ll see Maggie being very pragmatic and what we all know by now is that those people need to live on in her, or otherwise it’s all for naught, basically.

But there’s a lot of anger ahead in this road for the group and it’s a very complex season. This fallout now is so heavy. It’s really rich, and the places that we see everybody go, and the worlds everybody’s going in to and how they’re all dealing with losing Glenn and Abraham — it’s the linchpin. I mean, there’s been so much loss to this point, and this is just the entire house of cards.

There are a few storylines that comic book fans look forward to and are excited to see, and I think that Maggie at the Hilltop is certainly one of them. And we know she’s on her way there now and I think people are really excited to see her in this place and what she becomes out of this.
    It’s a really interesting spiritual journey that she goes on. Sasha and her are gonna be incredibly tight and they really need each other, and they really lean on each other. Within all the drive and the violence that the group has to perform and to undergo, there is going to be honor to our fallen.​

Source: EW

Katbird, Ares, Denie39 and 5 others like this.
  2. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

This makes me very hopeful about Maggie in this season
    despite how little we've seen of her.
    maybe I should know better than to let myself get that way. :lol:

Every time anger is mentioned my hackles raise involuntarily. :dale: She could be talking about anger in 50 different senses but if they make Maggie mad at Rick but not Daryl...:shiva:

balladsinthebluegrass and Allie like this.
  3. Allie

Allie Wearing a Necklace of Ears
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    "We’ve seen this evolution in Maggie, especially over the last season and a half. And as horrible as this event was, it sort of occurred to me, is this the final step that turns Maggie into this full-blown leader? Because we see her even in her immense, painstaking grief, sort of taking control there at the end, and telling people, here’s what has to happen next."

I've decided that today, my sister should die. I mean...it is the only way I'll be able to propel myself to the "final step" in my evolution. It's not like I could "take control" of my own life, without the added bonus of my sister's flesh? :unsure: Hmm...no, it's decided, there is nothing else to be done...she must die.

Now, before I go and dispatch my sister with the only weapon available :lucille2:I would like to thank Scott Gimple and Robert Kirkman for facilitating the dearth of their ideas within my consciousness. They have been so very helpful. :thumbsup:

Gekari and ALDGRichonneLover like this.
  4. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    It's pretty typical for tragedy to fuel character and plot development in stories.

5. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Just what I wanted to hear. :maggie:

6. Mrsthicke

Mrsthicke Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Im more so hyped about her and Sasha's relationship. That they're gonna lean on each other. They have the best written female friendship on the show outside of Michonne/Andrea (and even THAT was a shaky relationship). I hope they expand on the Sasha/Maggie friendship and bring it forefront.

7. Ares

Ares A bitter bunker husband.
    Staff Member Graphic Designer Patron

Walker Pets:
    How is she gonna seek vengeance when she barely fucking appears?

8. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    This is what I'm looking forward to seeing too.

Katbird and ALDGRichonneLover like this.
  9. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I just kept reading baby. #HershelJrNotFar #HershelJrWatch

Katbird likes this.
  10. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I am anxiously awaiting Baby Rhee..but, I think Maggie is heartbroken. I got teary-eyed talking about her missing Glenn with my co-worker. She is lonely for him and lonely without him. It hurts to think about it. She's strong, but she loved him so much. It, the revenge, is giving her the strength to go on. And, of course, their baby, who will never know Glenn, is paramount for her. Being without Glenn is devastating. I hope we see Rick talking to her about him. That would be such a great tribute to such a great character.