1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Least Favorite Episode(s) of The Walking Dead?

Discussion in 'Episodes' started by Doctor Grimes, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    So what are your least favorite episodes of The Walking Dead?

I have a couple:

"Still"
    Absolute waste. I still don't quite understand what the point of this episode was, and all it served was to make Daryl look like an ass. Beth's grief over the murder of her father and her missing sister wasn't channeled very well (searching for moonshine?). It all ends with them burning a shelter down? I hate it.

"Now"
    I was excited about the potential of this episode. It was supposed to focus on the Alexandrians, cool! Hey, maybe I can start to like them -- see them interacting with the regulars...
    Ain't what happened at all. They mingled only with each other, my impression of them worsened (Spencer is a cry baby?) and the pacing was a m-e-s-s (Alexandria surrounded? Let's not, you know, talk about it at all like normal people). The only good part about the episode was Maggie and Aaron's run in the sewer, and even then I was confused why they didn't tell anyone about the sewer passage or attempt to use it. There were still walkers, but less than near the ASZ, and I don't know. It was weird. (Also the garage makeout scene was brain-bleach worthy -- as was Jessie's copycat piddly-ass speech to the Alexandrians while she killed walker Betsy in the most weak-ass fashion)

"Dead Weight"
    Honestly, it's not a *bad* episode as it stands, but the placing of this solidifies it as grating as hell. I really enjoyed Live Bait, but two Governor-centrics in a row? I just gnashed my teeth throughout most of it and could hardly enjoy it. It's better on re-watches now, but in real-time this was not enjoyable at all.

"Secrets"
    I don't know what it is about this episode that bothers me so much, but it's just really weak. The dialogue is weak, the pacing, the plot was boring. I think also because this was the episode right before it came to a head with the barn of walkers made it tense in a way that just irks me. It's at this point that arc has run dry -- and it was pushing it's limits. Also, the whole "abortion with plan B" stuff has pissed me off (it was medically inaccurate, Lori had every right to feel the way she did, and Rick's reaction has always bugged me).

"Crossed"
    Absolutely nothing fucking happened, and Daryl was a superhero. No thank you. It also didn't help that this was the first episode to feature Rick in forever -- and I was really let down. Shoving Michonne on the backburner didn't endear me to this episode either.

"Forget"
    Michonne in that ugly party dress? Drunk Rick smooching Jessie on the face? There was a lot I didn't like about this episode.

"Slabtown"
    Not the worst, really, but it kickstarted the Grady Arc which was just disappointing as all Hell -- and showcasing only one principle character (Beth) who didn't even deserve to be a principle character made it all the worse.

Leannan, CrownRoyale, MsT05 and 2 others like this.
  2. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Live Bait and Dead Weight go hand in hand because that's when I almost quit the show in a rage/threw my TV to the curb. I wasn't even shipping Richonne then! As @Doctor Grimes stated, it was the placement. I was low key shipping Caryl back then and I was desperate to find out how Daryl reacted to Rick banishing her (and was disappointed at that scene btw!) and was FURIOUS at back to back episodes focusing on a man I knew would die soon. I can never get those two hours back and have never ever re-watched them. Ugh...it makes me angry just remembering that time!

The other one is 'Still.' This was during the horrendous 4b half season where I had just started shipping Richonne due to 4.9 and every week where I didn't get my fix made me upset. Still was an utter and complete waste of time, was terribly written and acted and, again, that's an hour I can't get back. The only time I've re-watched the episode is to collect ammunition for hate posts about it.

I'm sure I could come up with more but those are the standouts.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  3. Skybound

Skybound Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    I always thought that the dialogue between Rick and Lori was very confusing; at first he is pissed off that she was going to abort the baby with the pills, and then later in the conversation he said, "Did you really think that I would make you have a baby that you didn't want?" I'm still not sure what exactly Rick was mad about. Whenever there is a marathon, I always re-watch that part to see if I missed something in the dialogue, but I never figure it out.

4. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That's why it was so shitty. On my first watch through, I got the impression Rick was pissed Lori had even considered it, which made me pissed as fuck. But then when I watched it again, I caught his, "Do you think I would make you have a baby you don't want?" and then I figured he was just upset she kept the secret from him in the first place -- but then, thinking about it, that doesn't erase his initial reaction of chastising her for seeking out the pills in the first place. Plus, when Lori tells him it would be on her conscience, he doesn't disagree, so I definitely get the impression Rick thought an abortion would be "immoral" and, if Lori went that route, it would be her cross to bare -- which is crap.

Even if I wasn't pro-choice, in the ZA, circumstances change. I think even the people with the strictest anti-abortion stances would adopt a more accepting POV about pregnancy given the survival rate is shit as is, and bringing a child into a world like that (without a solid shelter) is truly the immoral course of action. Especially given the fact Lori had already had a c-section, so a natural birth wasn't exactly gonna be easy (or even possible).

So, yeah, that whole conversation and Rick's reaction to Lori trying to end her pregnancy has always bothered me.

michonne, Bazooka Jane and Skybound like this.
  5. DanNintendoMan

DanNintendoMan The ship's cook

Walker Pets:
    If Slabtown was renamed to my actual thoughts on the episode, it would be called "Snoretown." Seriously. It's so fucking boring. Not only that, but the death of Noah rendered that whole arc completely pointless.

Try- Other than seeing Rick going batshit insane and getting knocked about by Michonne, it bored me. Notably, the mix tape sequence at the beginning dragged on for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

I initially wasn't too impressed with Start to Finish, but No Way Out made up for it.

6. MsT05

MsT05 Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    He was mad she wasn't willing to talk to him and include Rick in the decision. they are supposed to be partners and it's another example of Lori not taking care of Rick.

candi18z, Leannan and Skybound like this.
  7. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Forget***, Now***, Slabtown, Live Bait, Dead Weight...

[​IMG]

8. Skybound

Skybound Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    That is true; that is definitely part of the reason he is mad; however, when Lori says, "We can't protect the son we already have!" Rick says, "So this is the solution?!" and he throws the box of pills down on the ground in disgust. He also says, "You want this baby, I know you do," and "Not giving it a chance isn't right either." So judging by the dialogue, he seems angry that she was going to abort the baby as well. So, I guess, he's mad for multiple reasons at once.

MsT05 likes this.
  9. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    "Forget"
    There's plenty of episodes I don't really care for but nothing has been worse than that episode. I don't even like to think about the way I felt at the end of it, I had to be talked off the proverbial ledge, it was ugly. Just thinking about it now...

"Still"
    Daryl is atrocious to a teenager who just watched her father die(gets a free pass from the fandom), doesn't even apologize, they drink moonshine like it's Kool-Aid. It becomes GLARINGLY obvious Norman could never lead the show, and somehow it spawned Bethyl. Pointless. Awful. Gross.

"Consumed"
    I almost fell asleep. My dad DID fall asleep. The only thing we've seen that could've given Daryl some real development, the book on abuse, was in this episode and it never surfaced again. Okay.

"Now"
    Everything that should have been in that episode wasn't. Propping up glorified redshirts no one cares about. The Dementor's Kiss.

I'm sure I didn't really care for "Live Bait" and "Dead Weight" but I can't remember, I think I was drunk because I couldn't believe we had two weeks of just The Governor. But I haven't watched them since so.

10. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Daryl got all the free passes after that episode but he was a massive douchebag to Beth. His behavior was appalling.

richonneromance and Clutterbuck like this.
  11. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My favorite excuse has always been that she had it coming because it was awful of her to think that he'd been to prison and she was being antagonistic. Okay. If any other member of the group had been there he would have had his ass handed to him for treating her the way he did.

12. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    If I'm being really honest...most of my least favorite episodes are those that feature little to no Rick Grimes (with the exception of "The Grove").

13. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    "Prey". I know that's a random ass episode to dislike but it was so boring that most of the time I forget it exists. Okay every time, I forget it exists. When I'm doing a marathon I'm always surprised to see it and then I fall asleep like I did every other time I've ever watched it. Oops. There are other episodes that have angered me and caused my ass to chap but at least they're memorable unlike Prey.

14. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Forgive my double posting but I just read this and I think Rick was angry that Lori was hiding things in general. Notice how he asks if there's anything else she'd like to tell him and then goes on to tell her that yeah, he already knew about Shane when she finally spills the beans. I think the pills were just a catalyst for the conversation that Rick knew needed to take place about Lori/Shane. My guts says that Rick meant it when he said he wouldn't make her have a baby she didn't want. Also, once they'd cleared the air about Shane notice how much his demeanor changes.

15. vinivre

vinivre Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    That scene between Rick & Lori was really confusing but I got the impression that Rick was upset when he found the pills because not only did Lori not tell him about the pregnancy, she sent another man to get the pills for her. I think if Lori had told him that she really didn't want to risk having the baby that Rick would want to be the one to go on the run to get them for her. From what I remember when he asked her how long she knew she was pregnant, I think he was realising that it's probably Shane's baby, then he threw the pills saying he found them so he knew that Glenn got them for her.
    I think he was just feeling betrayed with Lori for turning to other men for help and support instead of coming to him...again with their trust issues.

My least favorite episodes are "Still", all episodes that comprised the Grady arc, "Forget" and "Now"

16. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    I am going to keep it short and sweet. Any episode that featured Jessie or bottle episodes that focused on Beth.

I watched Now for the 2nd time during the marathon. I realized during the first viewing in the fall I had blacked out for most of it which ended in a rage spiral. So last weekend was like I watched it for the first time because I remembered nothing.

#16 Armte, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  17. DanNintendoMan

DanNintendoMan The ship's cook

Walker Pets:
    I think I'm a little more positive about Still than most, but it feels like an episode that really didn't need to exist or could've been a B story..

18. day dreamer

day dreamer Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Still, Alone, Slabtown, Dead Weight, Live Bait, and Prey. All pieces if shit.

19. michonne

michonne Protecting Glenn Rhee
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think I agree with everyone else here. The 2 Governor episodes and Now are my all time least favorite. I didn't mind the Grady arc at the time but now that Beth and Noah are dead it seems like a waste and I just skip them when I rewatch. Same with Still.

Jenna Alaki and Doctor Grimes like this.
  20. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't think I would have minded Still so much if it wasn't for Daryl manhandling Beth. I get it. She made a really insensitive remark about him, how about just making a quip back instead of physically grabbing someone who has very clearly been shown to be young and sheltered.

But the episodes I absolutely loathe is the two Governor episodes. Everytime I marathon them in Netflix, I want to just gouge my eyes out. I wasn't even watching TWD back when that aired, so I can't imagine how some of you endured two weeks of nothing but the Governor.

They're not bad episodes, but I honestly just couldn't muster enough attention on just the Governor. Honestly, I think it would be easier to digest if they sprinkled those episodes as a subplot that ran through 4A. It would certainly create tension since you knew something was brewing over the horizon.

Ms.J.Richonne likes this.