1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Maggie: Should she have been out there? Yes or No?

Discussion in '6x12: Not Tomorrow Yet' started by Doctor Grimes, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Carol had massive issues with Maggie being out in the fray. It was established this could be because she's the "mom" of the group (per Tobin). Do you agree with Carol? Or do you think Maggie had a right to choose what she wanted to do for herself?

Was it because Maggie was pregnant? What did Carol mean by Maggie is supposed to be someone else?

2. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Maggie shouldn't have been there. I agree with Carol it shoulda been someone else out there instead.

It's weird that we didn't atleast get a scene of Glenn voicing his concerns to Maggie before she decided to go out.

Ship Verse likes this.
  3. forevermichonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    In the end it's her choice. She's taking a note off of her daddy "You step outside you're risking you life... the only thing you can choose is what you're risking it for." Glenn and Maggie both have stepped up this season because they have a baby, they know what they're fighting for, and they know what they might die for. But I know if they could make one step toward making life for that baby better, they'd do it, and that's why she's out there.

She didn't have any business being out there though.
    Wow I'm proud of Maggie.

4. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    She 100% should not have been out there but I think it falls in line with this bloated confidence and sense of responsibility. Carol was correct, but Maggie is an adult. She only had her best interest at heart, but in the end it is her choice. She did stay back. She isn't immobile yet, she is still capable. So no one is wrong here. She is not disabled. I think it would have been nice to see them talk before, since they haven't since season 2.

michonne, yuna, Tater and 2 others like this.
  5. ThatGrimesGirl

ThatGrimesGirl Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    I don't think she should have been there, but Maggie doesn't let Glenn get to far since they were separated at the prison. In the end it is her choice, though a bad one. If she had stayed her ass at home she wouldn't be kidnapped now.

6. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's up to Maggie first and foremost and then Glenn. Carol can give her opinion, but that's it. I don't mind Carol forcing her decision on to Maggie though since this is Carol dealing with her demons.

However, I find it strange that Maggie stayed back in 6A when she was barely pregnant. Hell, I don't care. If Maggie gets more material now before she she pops that baby, I'm good.

7. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Here's what Melissa McBride said about Carol telling Maggie she shouldn't be there:

"Because she wants Maggie just to be the expectant mother. She wants her to be safe, and she knows how this is eating her own self up, being out in the world having to do this dirty work. She still carries the grief of the loss of Sophia, of the children. She doesn’t want Maggie to put herself in danger. She doesn’t want Maggie to have to go through and feel whatever she felt any more than she already has, and I think that’s most of it." ​

I am conflicted. I hate and I mean HATE the whole, "Pregnant women are infirm and should stay safe in a bubble-wrap cocoon and just be expecting their child" -- like, no. Pregnancy is not a disability. A woman is not an incubator when she's pregnant. Yes, she should carefully consider her actions as she is responsible ultimately for her unborn child, but at the end of the day, it's a woman's choice what she wants to do when she's pregnant.

Ultimately I think Maggie was just thinking of the mission, had her head full of air, and hasn't gotten into the mindset of being an expecting mother -- so it just didn't even cross her mind to stay behind. I think if she sat and ruminated about it, she would've decided ultimately the 'wise' move would've been to stay at the ASZ.

But I also get that she doesn't want to feel like a lead boot. She wants to be out there, doing things, even if she's pregnant. I totally get it.

I think Carol was in the right for being concerned, but I don't agree with forcing Maggie to do things she didn't want to do -- even if it was for her own good. I know for a fact if someone forced me to do something because I was pregnant, I would be offended.

8. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Well, it was Maggie's decision so I have to agree with her, she's brave and wouldn't leave the others and Glenn do this alone. She wanted to go, she felt responsible, and Glenn apparently accept her choice. If someone should have had a problem with it, I think it should have been him. Carol should have talked to them and not Rick.

But, I understand Carol's concern and I think it's because of the pragnancy. I just hope people don't start with the CarolxRick again because, like Rick said, Maggie wanted to go....And she's not a child. She knows what she does. End of story.

About Carol saying Maggie was supposed to be someone else, I think Carol was using herself (Carol) as an example, I don't know.

I'm just glad they were interacting and Maggie's getting all this screen time.

#8 cgomes, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    CrownRoyale likes this.
  9. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Maggie is a grown woman. End of.

10. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    She shouldn't have gone; this isn't working in an office or something else a pregnant woman can easily and safely do until her due date; this was life or death situation. But it was her choice, she's grown ass adult, so whatever.

Michele and Delightfully Thomi like this.
  11. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That's the thing. Carol always feels responsible. It's not wrong, just her nature.

yuna and forevermichonne like this.
  12. Belle

Belle Perpetual notion machine - what if...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Maggie is the best judge of what she should and shouldn't do. Carol's opinion is valuable, but she needed to back off. It bothers me that she talked to Rick about it. She should have talked to Glenn and Maggie, once, then respected their decision. I agree that Maggie shouldn't have been there - I think Maggie is completely wrong about it being her responsibility to be there. But, it's her call. She talked to her husband about it. Carol overstepped and annoyed the hell out of me in doing so - but I still love her :)

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    I agree with Carol but I think if anyone should've been voicing concerns it's Glenn.

14. Lugubria

Lugubria Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Maggie probably shouldn't have been there but that's her and Glenn's call to make and if anyone, like Carol, has objections they can take it up with Maggie and Glenn first. Carol going over their heads and telling Rick is not cool. I get he's the mission leader but he's not Maggie's keeper.

As for Maggie, it was definitely in character for her. She's not the type to sit on the sidelines, pregnant or no, and I hate the trope of pregnant women being treated like delicate flowers who need to be protected. But in the end, this was just moving chess pieces around so that Maggie could get kidnapped so it played out how I thought it would.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  15. richonneromance

richonneromance Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Of course not and the amount of parents with dead kids or partners in that group should've all been like WTF ARE YOU DOING. She can still choose to go but the idea that none of them would confront her about it beforehand is ridiculous.

Delightfully Thomi and tuswig like this.
  16. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Exactly. Ultimately the choice is Maggie and Glenn's to make but I think it is ridiculous that Carol was the only one that was like "WTF, Maggie?!?" I love Rick, but just how he overlooked Carl's insecurities about his appearance and did nothing to console him, he seems to forget that Maggie is a pregnant woman. Once again, no one can tell Maggie what to do, but I would like to see more people vocally take into consideration that she is pregnant and that she probably shouldn't intentionally put herself into dangerous/stressful situations.

CrownRoyale likes this.
  17. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I agree with Carol that Maggie shouldn't have been there. But I don't think she should have talked to Rick about it. That was kind of disrespectful towards Maggie and Glenn, I thought. I get that Carol did it because Rick is the leader of the group but Rick is not Maggie's father or husband, therefore, talking to him like he is and he should have forbidden Maggie to come was wrong to me. Carol should have talked to Maggie and that's it. If she still felt uncomfortable about it , she could mention it to Glenn. But respect whatever decision they made.

I understand why Maggie came and she is an adult, she should have the right to make her own decisions. But she also have to consider the fact that her pregnancy makes her a liability in the sense that people are going to be more focus on protecting her than on the mission or their focus will be divided. Because whoever she ends up teaming with will feel a little bit more responsible
    towards keeping her alive because if she gets killed/ hurt, it's not only her that will be harm/die. They will feel like this, not because Maggie is suddenly weak to them as a result of her pregnancy, but because they know it's not only Maggie's life that is on the line.

So while I agree that Maggie is an adult who should have a right to make her own decision. She should also be an adult when it comes to understanding that she has more than herself to worry about dying and that she could be more a liability to the group than a helper in some situations.

18. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The reason I didn't like that Carol asked Rick about it is that it makes Rick look like an asshole either way:

Scenario 1) Rick tells Carol it's Maggie's choice. (Which is what happened):
    Pro: Rick is treating Maggie like a grown woman who can make her own decisions, which is damn right. It is Maggie's call.
    Con: Rick looks like he doesn't give a fuck about her pregnancy (the unborn baby's safety).

Scenario 2) If Rick had heeded Carol's advice and told Maggie to go back home:
    Pro: Rick looks like a concerned papa (isn't it cute!); he wants to make sure little Glegige baby is okay
    Con: RICK YOU SEIXST ASSHOLE MAGGIE CAN MAKE HER OWN DECISIONS.

Like, that scene has now made Rick look like a dick no matter how you slice it.

Clutterbuck likes this.
  19. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think Maggie was also feeling partly responsible since she made that deal, like she told Glenn in the beginning of the episode. I could understand that mindset. And she did agree to hang back on perimeter watch. In my opinion, it ain't my call. Or Rick's or Carol's. I get that Carol is going through some shit so I'm trying not to judge her too harshly but it wouldn't have hurt her to take a step back when Maggie stood firm on the issue.

Also, Tobin's words were probably in Carol's head too. Not that I'm blaming Tobin but he'd literally just told the woman she's like a mother to them all. I think Carol is trying hard to do the right thing and she's still figuring out what that really is. Why the hell she went after Rick though is beyond me. Rick isn't the one pregnant, the one that got Maggie pregnant, or running a dictatorship anymore. I think she was really just looking for support on the issue though so I guess I just answered my own question. I understand why Carol might do it but why the writers decided to involve Rick in another mess that ain't his is something only they know.

To answer the question - no, I don't think Maggie should've been out there. But since Maggie did make that decision, Carol should've backed off. I know her intentions were good but when you start telling a pregnant woman what she should or should not be doing, you're gonna sound like a judgmental ass. And no one wants to feel judged by a member of their family.

20. Lugubria

Lugubria Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, involving Rick is really the part that chapped my hide. He's basically damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. I respect his decision to respect Maggie's because anything else would have been patronizing as fuck and I'm not here for that. Rick's far too evolved for that shit.

ThinkingOutLoud and Armte like this.