1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Maggie's Pregnancy: Is she having a miscarriage?

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by Doctor Grimes, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I've touched on this in a few threads to argue why I think Glenn isn't dying. Maggie could possibly be suffering a miscarriage.

Her symptoms could indicate such a thing, as miscarriages are often characterized by abdominal cramping that can range from mild to crippling. This can be accompanied by bleeding (but not always), as well as fever, nausea, andweakness.

As to why? It's possible the added stress (being kidnapped, kicked in the stomach) could have instigated this tragedy. Here are typical causes of miscarriage:
    • Chromosomal or genetic abnormality in the embryo
    • Drug use
    • Smoking
    • Excess drinking
    • Listeria, a bacteria that may be present in undercooked meats, raw eggs, and unpasteurized dairy products
    • Maternal trauma, such as a car accident
    • Hormonal or structural abnormalities in the mother (such as low progesterone levels or uterine fibroids)
    • Advanced maternal age (over 35)
    • Infections such as Lyme disease or Fifth disease
    • Chronic illnesses such as uncontrolled diabetes, lupus, or thyroid disease
    Some imagery could also indicate Maggie is currently "barren". There was a knocked over jar of pennies on their table, plus empty vessels:
    [​IMG]

She couldn't get anything to grow at Alexandria:
    [​IMG]

In "The Same Boat", Maggie had a conversation with a young woman who lost her child. Maggie also got slashed across the stomach in this episode.

Chelle: Frank was my dad. And that's what I was gonna name the baby.
    Maggie: I'm sorry.

Interestingly, in the comic, Maggie names her baby after her father as well (Hershel).

In "The Same Boat", there was also a lot of dialogue about how things could hurt the baby (like the smoking).

Many attribute that Maggie's ominous declaration, "It's going to cost us something," could be foreshadowing Glenn's death.

... What if it foreshadowed the loss of her child?

Production-wise, having two babies/toddlers could be a headache since Judith survived the prison. It's very possible Maggie's miscarriage is simply a method to reduce the problem of revolving baby actors.

Furthermore, Maggie's pregnancy appears to symbolize "stability". The loss of her child would be a way of truly showing that shit is not settled (as Daryl said in "Knots Untie").

One of the reasons I think they may also go this route is the parallel it would draw between Maggie and Rick.

Lori died while giving birth to Judith -- so Rick lost his spouse, but gained a child. That child represents hope.

Maggie could be the inverse. She loses her child, but her spouse stays alive. Her child represented the stability that has been summarily uprooted by the introduction of the Saviors.

2. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That whole scene of them sitting by the table is so strange. I understand the possible imagery, but why do they have a jar of pennies? What's with the logoless soda cans? It's an oddly decorated scene.

I'd also add Sasha and Abe's talk, "the way things can go", Abe's questions to Glenn in the RV, and his own assertion to Sasha about children in their future.

I always figured there would be no need for another baby since Judith already represents hope, but as you said, baby Gleggie symbolizes stability, and that's quickly going to change.

Denie39, michonne and Doctor Grimes like this.
  3. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That's true they had Abe questioning Glenn about the pregnancy as well -- provoking thought it could end poorly.

4. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think if Glenn lives they're definitely gonna go the miscarriage route. I just don't see 'em letting Maggie keep both her spouse and her kid. The Walking Dead is cruel that way. Her potential for having a miscarriage is a key factor in me thinking it isn't Glenn that will die though. While I definitely think they'll strip one from her, not sure I can believe they'd take both.

But. Abdominal pain and fever doesn't always mean a miscarriage. It could be something that isn't even pregnancy related, especially since they didn't mention any bleeding. If Glenn dies I could see Maggie losing all hope in the immediate aftermath, thinking she's lost her baby and Glenn - only for her to get to Hilltop at some point and realize the baby is fine despite whatever is ailing her.

But I'm gonna go with a miscarriage and Glenn living because I like that outcome a whole lot more. No offense to the little Gleggie baby. Hey, at least they Enid.

tuswig, zahira, michonne and 2 others like this.
  5. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It could be appendicitis or a ruptured cyst as well, which can cause fever and severe pain. Miscarriage isn't the only possible diagnosis, but coupled with the barren imagery, it just makes me think "oh no she's losing the baby."

I could see it where Maggie assumes she lost the baby just to discover the baby has survived -- thus being a bittersweet moment. They could also use a high risk pregnancy as a way to keep Maggie at Hilltop.

But the only way I see Glenn surviving is Maggie losing the baby at this point (even with the overwhelming Darcille evidence), so... I know which scenario I am hoping for. Sorry, baby Hershel. I'd rather have Glenn.

Denie39, zahira, Tater and 1 other person like this.
  6. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Makes me wonder if Maggie having a miscarriage was always part of the Gimple's writing plan. Maggie getting pregnant immediately sent up so many people's "Welp, BYE GLENN" flags because they knew Glenn dies and Maggie's raising Baby Hershel. Maggie getting pregnant could've just ticked another obvious box on Gimple's "Make People Think Glenn's Going To Die" list. I can't see her losing both the baby and Glenn so unless this was Gimple's plan he could've just ignored Maggie's pregnancy all together.

Also Gimple's cagey answer about what's wrong with Maggie makes me think it is a miscarriage and he doesn't want people doing what we've all done in thinking "She's not losing both."

7. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Gimple's response to finding out what happened to Maggie also makes me think it's an event, not an illness.

"I don't want to say exactly what it is, but the exact diagnosis will be shared, one way or another. We'll find out one way or another what happened."

"what happened" not "what is happening". A singular occurrence.

Which makes me think:
    1) her appendix already burst ("happened"); in which case, Maggie is in for a world of pain. In a ZA, that should be a death sentence.
    2) a cyst burst
    3) she had a miscarriage

The thing that makes me hesitate on miscarriage is the lack of blood, but it's possible they just haven't focused on her inner thighs -- or it's possible she hasn't started bleeding yet.

Clutterbuck likes this.
  8. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I get so sensitive about this topic and the either or argument. Though it is likely true, with the no happy endings idea of this show, but I'm hoping I am pleasantly suprised and it is all a ruse.

I don't know, I guess all signs are pointing to miscarriage, but depending on how much of a time jump we are getting are we sure we'd need another set of twins yet? I mean... we could just see Maggie in her last trimester. I don't really know how many months she is now.

I feel like a miscarriage helps no one. How does it benefit Maggie's character or situation? I think losing her entire family is sufficient enough. Say she loses the baby what is the purpose of her being in Hilltop? Just to be there and be leader? To get away from Rick and the drama (but I mean Hilltop has there drama)? Would she blame Rick for losing her child? I mean... I don't know. This whole idea upsets me.

I don't think every woman who gets pregnant on tv needs to have some sort of complications. It's already I high risk situation. The female body is resilient though and I'm hoping Maggie is, and Glenn survives this as well. Neither loss would benefit the characters or their stories.

SickofShadows and Doctor Grimes like this.
  9. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Here's the convo between Abe and Glenn in the RV:

Abraham: When you were, uh, pouring the Bisquick, were you trying to make pancakes?
    Glenn: Uh... yes? Oh, okay, um... it's something that we talked about, yeah. Yeah. Why?
    Abraham: No, I just... Well, given the precarious state of affairs on any given Sunday, I am damn near floored that you or anyone else would have the cojones to make a call like that.
    Glenn: I mean, well... we're trying to build something, me and her. All of us.

So it has been hinted it could go wrong.

10. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Bleeding isn't a necessary factor in miscarriages either. You can be carrying a dead baby for weeks before knowing. And TWD does not care about details so... I dunno. :ugh:

11. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think they didn't know who they were killing so they made Maggie's illness vague enough that they could go with a miscarriage if they don't kill Glenn and they could go with "mystery illness but the baby's fine" if they do kill Glenn.
    Maggie stays pregnant throughout AOW and if they do what I think they will, which is make the post-AOW time jump longer like 4-5 years, they can bypass a Gleggie baby and hire a Gleggie kid, which eliminates the "filming with someone who doesn't take direction" issue and probably the twin issue because I doubt there will be much screentime devoted to Maggie's domestic life; these are the same reason I think they would lengthen the time jump regardless because they will want to age up Judith and a Richonne child, not mention make Carl's age make sense again.

12. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I would say these all fit as possible diagnoses so far:
    • Appendicitis
    • Ruptured cyst / cyst torsion
    • Miscarriage

13. Clutterbuck

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah I could buy appendicitis because there's no way it could be ruptured already or she'd be royally screwed. Time is way too important. The time it took on the road with the Savior funhouse of horrors, all of Negan's blabbing, and the aftermath of the lucilling all equal bad news. Unless Harlan is going to jump out of a tree and perform an appendectomy in the woods immediately as Negan's leaving, but even then she'd likely be a goner.

But then again the writers could not give a shit about what's medically possible.

14. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That's what keeps me away from appendicitis as well. Does Hilltop even have an area where they can perform a sterile surgery to remove her appendix? If it's ruptured, she is so screwed unless Hilltop has some killer medicine.

It makes me think it's a singular event that will resolve itself. But, like you said, this show with medical stuff isn't entirely accurate.

Clutterbuck likes this.
  15. Clutterbuck

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I very much doubt they have a proper, sterile OR at the Hilltop but it's probably easier to suspend disbelief for that than for Maggie surviving a burst appendix hours after it happened.

It just feels so terribly contrived to give Maggie a random illness just to set a plot point in motion. Like really, is that the best thing you could come up with, Gimple? :|

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  16. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well, he did kill Denise for the sake of Finding Emo, so. :gimp:

Clutterbuck likes this.
  17. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    We had a guy go through an amputation in the woods with the comforting words, "walk it off" as his sole medicine. We don't know what happened to him, but Maggie's MC status will keep her from succumbing to any medical emergency or logic.

Clutterbuck likes this.
  18. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    It's either a miscarriage or some infection that will resolve itself (or be treated easily) and not harm the baby.

19. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    They did wrap a belt around his arm to prevent hemoragae (spelling?), so....:/

20. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm conflicted...I do think if Glenn lives the baby dies and vice versa. Theyre not getting the happy family not this season & to be fair they've had a lot more happiness than anyone else ever has...to reference the comics hear me out lol, Judith is supposed to be dead, while we've had kids die like Mika and Lizzie..I can't see AMC doing miscarriages and dead babies. If this was on HBO or FX then yes but we have to remember AMC does not like bad PR. And I hope they don't bc id rather Glenn die then a baby. I don't like seeing that. I still think the Mika/Lizzie thing was the saddest thing I've ever seen on the show. I can't even watch the Look at the flowers epi again.

Also I think there was some foreshadowing with Jesus saying "there's babies being born." There's gotta be hope for the future and the population.

Denie39 likes this.