1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Michonne Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Michonne / Danai Gurira' started by KatanaQueen, Oct 19, 2016.

1. KatanaQueen

KatanaQueen Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we can discuss all things Michonne. Some possible discussion topics are:

• Michonne's journey and whether you're satisfied with it or not.
    • What you want to see for Michonne going forward.
    • Any issues you may have with the writing for Michonne and how it can be improved.
    All thoughts and opinions are welcome :)

2. I'mStillWithYou

I'mStillWithYou Richonne Trash
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Firstly, thanks for starting this thread @KatanaQueen ! Michonne is my favorite character and I think a lot of it has to do with Danai and the strength she brings to the role.

I am happy with Michonne's journey at the moment because she has somewhat come back full circle and has regained what she lost. She now has more to fight for because she's not willing to lose it as she pointed out in East. I would love to see Michonne have more interaction with the tf ladies, but it doesn't appear that this upcoming season will permit that as much as I would love to see it. I think the writing for Michonne could definitely be improved upon. I want to see her as a singular character outside of her relationship with Rick and don't want her identity to become muddled with his. I want to understand Michonne more as a character and that could come from other people conversing with her. I want to hear her finally discuss Andre only because we know that she was a mother and she still bears this pain from losing her son- what are her thoughts on this now? Many of my wants from Michonne can be addressed simply by having these characters talk to one another for once instead of relying so much on plot. I really think we will get a better picture of Michonne this upcoming season and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

3. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I am satisfied with her journey, but I want her role to be solidified as leading lady and the GA to realize how different she is to Lori. I am hoping she won't be like Andrea was in the comics where she took a backseat

4. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I want more of season 3 badass Michonne. Season 3 Michonne took the fight to the Governor and would have won if not for her "friend", stupid Andrea. She was a fricking Ninja, silent and deadly. She gave zero fucks. Back then she would have seen what needed to be done and done it, now not so much.

5. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Michonne is the best character of the show .

6. Walkingonsunshine

Walkingonsunshine The Ones Who Live
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    OT - your signature is Maggyl a ship? :dalewtf::denise:

zahira likes this.
  7. CDCsuzy

CDCsuzy You will, I will
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I agree with this too @Philly Girl , but I can see why Michonne won't be as gun ho as she was in season 3. She has more to live for now, when she first found Rick and the group she was still recovering from her horrendous loss of Andre and Mike and she was still angry and lost emotionally. Now she is a part of this phenomenal coupling called Richonne :richonne: with a man and children who love her deeply. So as much as I would love to see her Kick Butt and take names like she did in season 3, I know now that she will still be

fierce but maybe use her great mine and a little brawn more now than she did in the past to get things accomplished.

MIchonne is my girl!!!! :flirt: I also would like to see her have more of an independent story line from time to time, but mainly I am Richonne trash (I love seeing interactions between them) , but I do want her character developed more on the show.

8. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    that was a joke i delete it now :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Walkingonsunshine likes this.
  9. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is where I am at CDCsuzy! Michonne is straight BOSS in my world and just this amazing character. I am all about DG/Michonne and have been since her intro in the GN and TV show. DG gives her the strength, charisma, beauty, intelligence, caring, sexy and overall bad assery necessary for Michonne and she plays it to a T!

During S3, Michonne gave little to no fu*ks about anyone except Andrea, and we see how that turned out. She definitely was in a place of great pain and trauma after Andre/Terry/Mike, hence the emotional fortress build around herself when she found Rick/TF. She was able to be that badassed warrior and take a multitude of chances because at the time she didn't have much to live for. She had two pet walkers as company until she happened upon Andrea whom she learned to care for deeply. Then when Andrea essesntially betrayed her for the Govenor, she became moreso closed off. She felt like she could not trust anyone at this point.

Like she told Carl in "A" she was "out there for a long time" and that "it was sick". Or when she explained to Rick in "Strangers" that "she didn't know what that was, but it wasn't life" after he asked her if she missed her katana and she explained her mindset at the time after the ZA and how it was "just me and them all day, everyday for a good while." She knew that this wasn't the entirety of who she was. Not even close. A part, a necessary part for survival, yes, but not all of her. (Rick said the same thing to Daryl in "A" after he went savage on Joe). Remember, she was a loving mother and had an important SO/in a relationship with Mike prior to the ZA and became who she was at the time due to her cirmcumstances. The ZA tapped into many of her hidden capabilities which is why I believe she was able to survive on her own for so long but so much emotional damage occurred because of her losses and of the daily solitude with the Mike/Terry walkers/her guilt over Andre which was a definite side effect as well.

However, it was being around Rick/Carl/TF that she started becoming a whole person which I am loving! She is STILL a badass on all fronts, even moreso, because now she has someone to live for and that is Grimes 2.0/TF. She is still stealth/Ninja/Boss, and she will be even more of a force to be reckoned with because she is not about to lose her happiness, Grimes 2.0 happiness, or TF's happiness over Negan/Saviors BS. She WILL square things like she always does. She just understands that she will have more to lose if something happens to her because the Grimes family love them some Michonne and she loves them. She cannot be as reckless as before because she has others to consider, which I am so okay with. This is a woman who would die protecting her family and this is why I love her so. Michonne will use her mind/intelligence/strength to outwit/outmaneuver Negan with Rick. They are a team and a damned good one! This fleshes out Michonne as a character and not simply as a one-dimensional character whose sole purpose is as a killing machine (I know some folks want her pigeon holed as this character, but this is not who she is). She is a woman in love, a sexual being, a mother, a lover, a bestie, a confidant, loyal, has a big heart, a competent co-leader/negotiator, an intelligent decision maker, a skilled swordswoman, and an amazing hand to hand combat/weapons fighter. This is why I have enjoyed her arc thus far and happy that Gimple remixed her GN arc with that of Andrea's and a bit of of other characters. Michonne will not be a weak contender in this Negan fight. She will be front and center, a co-leader with Rick to immobilize the masses for AOW against Negan. From the look on Michonnes face during the line-up, Michonne gave no f*cks about what she was going to do to Negan. It was written all over her face. It's something that "must be done." Negan just don't know!! :michonneeye:

I am of the camp that I would enjoy more interaction between Michonne and the other TF ladies as well. I feel that Gimple and company don't place enough emphasis on the female bonding aspect of TF. Every now and then you get a bit, but if we could have a bottle episode of the TF ladies (like we kind of did with Rick/Daryl in TNW,) I would be happy. Michonne needs some feminine energy to be around. She plays very well with the men, but it would be unrealistic to not have female friends on the show. The closest that we hae gotten is Maggie, or when she went to help find Sasha with Rosita and even that isn't explored all that much in depth.

Michonne is a character all unto herself, and I definitely want things outside of the Richonne bubble. A more independent storyline from Rick. I am Richonne :dump: :richonne: but Michonne had a life long before Rick and I would like this acknowledged as well, on screen. This would lead to further development of her character as a whole and she would not be viewed just as Ricks SO, or his side kick (not that I think this but I could see the GA believing this is all she is). Michonne is too much of an amazing character not to capitalize on her awesomeness. This is why I am hopeful for S7 with bringing Michonne to the forefront in the was against Negan. :hearts::flirt:

#9 ALDGRichonneLover, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  10. Rhona

Rhona Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Oh gracious. Beautifully said. I swear we think along the same lines. This morning while getting gas for my car I thought of how far Michonne has come. She's a force period. But hugely compassionate. Affectionate. Funny. Beautiful. Smart. Team player. Leader. Fantastic mother. To me Michonne is perfection. Not going to lie. There is literally nothing I don't love abt this incredible woman. TF is damn lucky to have her. Negan...watch your back. She gonna get you.

11. nat_richonne

nat_richonne Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    In the back pocket of Michonne's tight jeans.
    I'm okay with Michonne's journey so far. I would've liked a bottle episode showing Michonne's life at camp after the ZA and how Andre's death went down. I thought this would've done so much as explanation to the closed off/untrusting Michonne of season 3. I'm still waiting for her to share her loss of Andre with not only Rick but others on TF. I confess I'm a little concern as to what storyline Michonne will have in season 7. Will she be getting most of Comic!Andrea's storyline or will she just be appearing in scenes with little to no dialogue.

12. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    A lot was said what I was thinking. Thank you, ladies! XD

I absolutely love Michonne. She's one of if not my favorite TV character of all time. And I've been around for a long time, so that's a long time. :lol:

I like her journey so far but I'd like to see more. Most of these are the same because a lot of us want the same for our girl. I'd love to see Michonne tell Rick about Andre. I'd love to see Michonne show more of her fighting skills. All those eps she's in, I'd love to see her doing something. Not just being there nodding her head. I'd love to see more female interaction with TF. And I know we're not gonna get it but I'd love for her to get a freaking last name.

13. LivingAsMe

LivingAsMe ~Rejecting Negativity, Embracing Positivity~
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I want Michonne's katana to be under Danai Gurira's name since the other mains have their signature weapons/objects under theirs.

I hope we get an even more in-depth exploration of her thoughts and feelings this upcoming season. Some has been shown on the show, but I've always felt like it was short-lived or not showcased enough. 4X9 and 6x9 did well with that, and we all know 6x10 was great, but it doesn't hurt to wish for more.

I'm somewhat excited about her having an independent arc based on spoilers.

I would love to see her conversing or building on relationships with TF and community. Michonne/Maggie, Michonne/Sasha are my wishes, but I think we're getting more with Michonne/Rosita and Michonne/Tara, and that's cool too.

I miss her having iconic fights, so I hope there is some in season 7.

Overall, I'm pleased with her evolution onsreen, because we can see a distinct transformation from season 3 till now. I'm glad I really love this character, and I just hope she continues to grow and shine.

14. nat_richonne

nat_richonne Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I think it's about time Michonne's katana is linked to Danai's name in the opening credit as well. It's straight from the GN and besides her hair the katana is what's iconic about her character.

15. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, I don't get why that's not already like that.

16. nat_richonne

nat_richonne Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I don't get why it's not either. Every interview/promo Danai does she gets asked about the Katana. Michonne is a katana wielding badass so why AMC didn't think to include this in the opening credit is beyond me.

17. I'mStillWithYou

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I completely agree with you guys about Danai having her katana linked her name. I thought I heard something about a new opening credits theme. Did you guys hear anything about that or maybe I'm incorrect.

KatanaQueen, nat_richonne and MrsG like this.
  18. nat_richonne

nat_richonne Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I believe there was a discussion somewhere on this site about the shuffling in the opening credits once the LV is revealed. I know there will be so I'm hoping that AMC corrects this.

I'mStillWithYou likes this.
  19. richonnelove

richonnelove Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I have noticed that the picture of the dinner scene AMC has been using and distributing to the press does not show Michonne.

I know it's suppose to focus on Glen and Abe but they have shot's of it that include the whole family. It's curious to me they choose to distribute the one where only Michonne is not seen.

They posted this today on their Facebook page and it is the same one I've seen in almost every magazine article online which mentions the scene.

Although I can see a bit of Maggie, they could have chosen a better picture that included more of her also. Instead you know which two features prominently. Even more do than the departed. :tdog:

20. I'mStillWithYou

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Sometimes it's so hard to not play the what about Michonne card, but there are so many things that have happened that are definitely worth questioning. I'm trying not to be too salty prematurely, but I really think we can draw more conclusions as the season proceeds. This is the first canon season so let's see how the media treats Michonne now- she's Rick's leading lady so there aren't any excuses left.