1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Michonne Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Michonne / Danai Gurira' started by KatanaQueen, Oct 19, 2016.

1. QueenOfAlexandria

QueenOfAlexandria Rick saves everyone, but Michonne saves Rick
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Those words would automatically make anyone defensive though, so maybe aggressive is the wrong word to use in this context. I'll say confrontational, because that's exactly what that is. Confrontational approaches can be seen as aggressive to some people, because it's human nature. If someone I didn't know approached me in that manner, I would be completely defensive. Tone of voice wouldn't change the reaction; certain trigger words can change the vibe of a conversation really fast. You don't know me, but you're talking about how I should be ashamed of myself by pretending to be something I'm not? Yeah, I'll be defensive and it will definitely change the conversation extremely fast. I understand what you're saying, but that approach needs to be different because Ezekiel doesn't know Michonne enough for him to be comfortable with her talking to him like that. Carol? Maybe. They know each other well enough for her to call her out on her bullshit, sure. Ezekiel? No. She doesn't know Ezekiel, so she would have no way of knowing how he would react to something like that. That could possibly make things escalate in a way that it shouldn't, especially since these two groups need each other for the alliance. I just don't see Michonne being impulsive enough to jeopardize this alliance by confronting Ezekiel like that.

Michonne can lead; there are no arguments there. She's definitely capable of doing so, but Michonne doesn't have the tactical skill to be a leader. Take S5, for example. Michonne thought it was a good idea to attempt to salvage Noah's hometown as a place for Team Family to live. That was a bad idea, and Rick even said as much. I know Michonne was desperate for a home and a community, but she almost allowed her desperation to put them in a dangerous situation. It takes more than simply being capable to be a leader, because you have to keep everyone alive. Not just you. While I think Michonne is smart, I do see her emotions being a crutch sometimes. Which isn't a bad thing, but I see it as a disadvantage if she's going to be a leader.

Mischonne likes this.
  2. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Emotional, kind of like waving a gun around and screaming like a lunatic in the middle of the street or turning down a chance for a home and safety without seeing if the opportunity is real?

3. QueenOfAlexandria

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but we can all agree that Rick wasn't being leader material when he was doing that either though. Rick shouldn't have been leading anyone at that time. I agree with you: Rick should not have been in charge. I understand it, but emotions can cloud anyone's judgment. Michonne wasn't thinking straight. I love Michonne too, but wanting to use Noah's neighborhood as a new home was not a good idea at all. In that moment, her desperation was not a good thing. Michonne was trying to make Noah's home their new home. I had no problem with her wanting to go to Washington to find a new home, but that wasn't her initial desire. Her initial desire was to make Noah's neighborhood their new home. That's what I'm referring to here. They did a walk-through of that entire neighborhood and its perimeter and found out that it wasn't the best thing to make it their new home. There were multiple clues long before Michonne offered up the idea of Washington that told them this neighborhood wasn't salvageable. She was irritated the entire episode because of it. She kept looking for reasons on the contrary before she came to that realization.

#363 QueenOfAlexandria, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    SweetDee85 likes this.
  4. MsAntiSocial

MsAntiSocial Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I don't think that moment made her being bad leader or being too emotional to be a leader. She was just having a bad moment in her desire to get off the road. Rick and Glenn were there to calm her down but in the back her mind I think she knew that wasn't a safe place and I definitely don't believe she would've brought Carl and Judith to that place.

5. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Just saying one emotional moment shouldn't disqualify Michonne from being leadership material. It didn't disqualify Rick.

6. QueenOfAlexandria

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Of course not, but your emotions should never cloud your judgment to the point where you're not willing to see reason. Especially when you're in charge, because it's not just your life that's in your hands. You can be emotional, but can you push through that enough to see reason? Michonne's desperation for a home is what kept her from accepting what she already knew. I'm not saying she didn't know it wasn't a salvageable place, but her desperation and emotion kept her from allowing herself to see what was in front of her face. I'm fairly certain she knew, but look at how long it took her to voice that begrudging acceptance. Even then, she never really voiced it; she just offered up another alternative. It's not a pride thing, because I highly doubt Glenn or Rick would have said anything to her about being wrong knowing how disappointed she was.

It's like with this season: Michonne, Carl, and Rosita all took the initiative to act in reaction to Negan's rule, but all three of them were operating out of anger. Luckily, Michonne stopped herself before her emotions got someone killed, but her anger could have just as easily turned out bad like it did with Carl and Rosita.

SweetDee85 likes this.
  7. QueenOfAlexandria

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I understand your perspective, but we'll have to agree to disagree. Michonne was angry in 7A too, but her anger just didn't get anyone killed. Michonne even went rogue for a short while; we all saw what could happen when you allow your decisions to be fueled by anger. Carl and Rosita are shining examples of this.

SweetDee85 likes this.
  8. MsAntiSocial

MsAntiSocial Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    It didn't take her long to see reason when it came to Noah's community, and I don't think Michonne was acting like Carl and Rosita at all because I don't think her mission was to kill Negan when she trapped the savior lady.

9. QueenOfAlexandria

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah, but it could have turned out badly anyway. What's that quote? The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Rosita didn't plan on Olivia getting killed when she shot Lucille either; in fact, she was sure she would have been killed and but that's not what happened. Rosita was aiming for Negan and got Lucille. My point is that it's entirely too easy for plans to fall apart. Michonne had no way of knowing the Savior would have done what she said. What if that woman had actually taken Michonne to Negan like she ordered her to? Then what? What would be the plan from there? Because Negan doesn't know that Michonne is Rick's partner, what would have stopped him from killing her? I doubt the writers would ever kill off Michonne, but what if they did think she was expendable? What would have happened to her? If not her, who would have been killed to punish her for her actions?

SweetDee85 likes this.
  10. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Thank you. She wasn't on a stupid suicide mission (Carl-Rosita) she was getting Intel to use later if and when she convinced Rick to fight. You could go so far as to say she and Maggie saw something that it took Rick a little longer to see. People like Negan can't be trusted or reasoned with. He was never going to honor any deal he made because he has no honor. Neville Chamberlain tried to appease Hitler history saw how that turned out.
    Michonne is smart. She left no evidence of her mission and did not hesitate to eliminate the witness after she found out what she wanted to know. She made sure she used a rifle that wasn't on the armoury inventory when she was practicing. She was angry but she wasn't reckless like Carl and Rosita.

11. Ship Verse

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Technically Michonne's idea wasn't a bad idea, it was a hard, very long, very tough, very ambitious idea in the face of seemingly having no alternative, and like a leader she quickly came up with plan two when her friends could not get on board. The problem with her plan was they were to closed in, no sightlines. She's talking about cutting down trees. That's like ambitious but technically it could work. She was trying to find that hope that would keep people moving forward. That is what a good leader does, keep hope alive. It's why people still follow Rick. I mean he has failed, but he gives hope and a reason. Michonne quickly realized a plan B. Everyone discounted Eugene because he lied. She had the smarts to not. Michonne is very capable of being a leader, in her own right she does. People follow her. People deflect to her.

i.e. The Alexandrians following her when she ran out behind Rick.

Reg and Deanna both trusting her judgement.

Rosita running to Michonne when Sasha was having issues.

Jesus constantly deflecting to her when trying to get through to Rick.

The entire group cosign in the first place and following Michonne's reasoning to trust Aaron.

Michonne is a leader and if she were to ever decide to leave a lot of people would follow her. She won't though because she trusts Rick, believes in him, follows him, just as much as she loves him.

Imo, Michonne is the second best leader in our group.

ETA: Actually the best. Because who keeps Rick going? :tea:

12. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Very well said.

13. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It wasn't deleted, it was moved, here: http://tellittothedead.com/threads/richonne-general-discussion-thread.891/page-22#post-175715

Are you not getting the move notifications? I've sent two now.

14. richonnelove

richonnelove Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Doctor Grimes likes this.
  15. zahira

zahira Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Michonne 143 k likes on Facebook :mwhaha::hearts:
    [​IMG]

16. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I don't know if this is the right thread to put this in but I've read spoilers for 7x12.

I won't say what they were so some people won't be spoiled.

But does anyone think we'll get conversations between Rick and Michonne where Michonne discusses her past life (Andre, Mike, last name, profession, her family - parents, etc.)? Where Michonne gets some attentiveness from Rick? What I'm saying is what we usually get is Rick's past being discussed, him being consoled, his feelings on certain things. I just feel like the writers are having Michonne be the strong one, the one to give the pep talks, and of course rightfully so with what Rick was going through. But she was too. Like in the sliced Walker kill scene after they got in the car. As much as I loved Michonne consoling Rick, I wouldn't have minded seeing him breath in her ear telling her how things will get better or him saying I almost could have lost you out there. And no this has nothing to do with it being validated by the audience. And I know we've had a discussion like this before I'm sure. It's just I want Michonne to be comforted. I want to see that. I know what I read about 7x12 isn't everything so hopefully we'll get some comfort (from him to her),leading into
    sexy times

17. RixChix

RixChix Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I think this is a valid request and I'm all the way with you on this! I know that Rick is the main character, it's his story, but if he is in a relationship with Michonne, I don't think it's unfair for them to explore not just how she cares for him, but how he cares for her. I'm not saying he doesn't, and as Kirkman noted somewhere previously, she is indeed the stronger person/character...but she is still human and still has the same needs. So, yeah i don't think it's unfair or unreasonable to want to see him being a husband/boyfriend/lover to her as well. He's capable...he did ask her about her day in 6x10, he often asks if she's ok....well it's time to see how he is now that they have a different relationship.

Go ahead @box5angel talk to Gimps about this...you got it! :lucille:

18. nat_richonne

nat_richonne The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    In the back pocket of Michonne's tight jeans.
    I would love to know all things Michonne but do I think we'll get any reveal about her past in 7x12? No. This is just my gut feeling and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

Philly Girl and box5angel like this.
  19. Richonne4Lyfe

Richonne4Lyfe Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I think we'll start seeing him comfort her a lot.
    - After his near death experience with the walkers (7x12),he'll probably just hold her in his arms and tell her hes sorry and that he's okay.And we'll prolly get a conversation about it after.
    - Maybe,when they to to ask Oceanside for help defeating Negan,and they have to stral the guns,Michonne will feel bad about it and then he'll talk to her about it and comfort her.
    - We'll probably get comfort scenes after the tower remix

These arent spoilers but just my speculation

box5angel likes this.
  20. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm on it! :lol:

I don't think so either from the spoilers I've read. Hopefully 8A. But I doubt it then too. And it doesn't even have to be about Andre. It could be anything from her past.

I hope your speculations do come true.

Thanks, ladies!

RixChix likes this.