1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Michonne's pregnancy

Discussion in 'Fluff 'n Stuff' started by Barbarossa-TWD, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I just read this article:

Model Fights Back After Shamers Criticize Her Skin Color In Maternity Photo

After model Porsche Thomas posted a maternity photo on Instagram, bullies responded by criticizing the color of her skin. A couple days later, Thomas had a response of her own, and it was perfect.

Thomas shared her maternity photo, which shows her enjoying some relaxation while wearing a bikini, on Dec. 29. Trolls began criticizing both her body and the color of her skin, asking ridiculous questions about why her stomach was “so dark.

Four days later, Thomas posted a response to the trolls. She showed off her stomach in another photo, and in the caption she included the hashtag #melaninpoppin along with a special message for anyone shaming her for the color of her skin.

“While some of y’all been in my comments criticizing the blackness that is my belly and me during what shoulda been your holiday cheer, I been over here enjoying life, growing tiny humans, performing miracles and hopefully getting even blacker,” she wrote.

Thomas’ fans couldn’t get enough of the way she handled the bullies. One commenter told her to “be proud of [her] blackness,” and another wrote, “No matter what they say, you are gorgeous.”

In an interview with BET, Thomas said that she “was baffled” by the cruel comments she received. She also made an important point about the way some people view and police black women’s bodies.

“We’re so used to seeing white baby bumps,” she said. “We don’t really get to see black baby bumps and when we [do], people have a negative reaction to it, for some reason, like it’s vulgar.”
    Thomas has since welcomed her twin boys. On Tuesday, the actress posted a photo of her sons and wrote that she is “so grateful” for her family.

“The loves of my life,” she wrote.

Looks like no troll is going to get Thomas down. Congrats, mama!

^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Is what I want to see for Richonne. Since we're breaking downing barriers let's knock them all down.

#1 Barbarossa-TWD, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    DavieVC, lanielove, CDCsuzy and 7 others like this.
  2. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I read this yesterday and it made me so sad. What is wrong with people? After what happened in November I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's 2017 people, just stop.

3. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    There is a negative reaction to Black women being pregnant, it is stigmatised with "Baby Daddies" and "Welfare Queens". I find it interesting that most people do not mind Michonne being the adoptive mother of Judith (white) but put their foot down regarding her having her own child (black). Particularly since there was little to no opposition to Maggie's pregnancy.

And yes there is a race issue here, we see a white baby and an asian baby (on the way) but no black babies... what will the future hold?

[​IMG]

#3 Barbarossa-TWD, Jan 12, 2017
    DavieVC, lanielove, Katbird and 5 others like this.
  4. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    Had to log in to comment on this. I wasn't surprised at all when I read this story a few days ago. White and black people are so brainwashed against melanin. It's a visceral negative reaction to dark skin (on women). Like, people are mad at you for being a dark skinned black woman. And yes yes yes to the Judith comment. It made me so mad when there was a post going around that Michonne shouldn't have her own baby becuase it's not the right time and Judith is considered the "Richonne" baby. I say a big bullshit to that idea. Judith is fine, but she is not Michonne's (nor Rick's) biological child. I want to Michonne to have her own child in HER image. And fuck that bullshit about the right time. No one said anything about Maggie waiting because it's not the right time. They're in the damn apocalypse. There will never be a right time. These biased, racist ass attitudes displayed by white and black fans alike is what made me leave this fandom. I still creep and dip my toe in every once in while but I'm definitely not into it like I used to be. I doubt I'll even watch 7B when it airs. I'll probably just download the episodes after the season is over and binge watch them in one sitting so I can fast forward all the Negan bullshit because fuck that character and all his demented crazy fans.

DavieVC, richonnelove, Flame and 15 others like this.
  5. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I still blame Kirkman... he is definitely on the right side of the spectrum and baby Hershel is as close to the center he will go. In the GN doesn't Michonne give her daughters to her ex husband or some isht?

I want to see Michonne's greased up belly poppin.

DavieVC, lanielove, Katbird and 4 others like this.
  6. Rickdickulous Trash

Rickdickulous Trash Bring me the Samurai...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Only read the first line so far but had to stop to say THANK YOU!

What an incredible feat! To brainwash an entire PLANET into believing that only one type of people are beautiful, smart, worthy etc. And yes! The ENTIRE planet! There's not one country that I can think of where the darker residents are not undervalued in some way and often by their own.

7. Michroolz

Michroolz Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Hmmm, I need to think over this some more but, for now, I'm more disappointed that, bar Duane Jones' short stay, not one single African-American child appears to have survived the Apocalypse. Not a one else was seen in Atlanta, nor at the prison, nor Alexandria, Hilltop, Sanctuary or the Kingdom (though I maybe wrong here as I missed episode 7x02). Perhaps I missed some at Oceanside? I was so bored by the episode so I have no interest in going back and checking.

I'm not afraid to say that I was against a Richonne baby as I believe a Richonne pregnancy would serve no purpose from a storytelling standpoint as it has been already superceded by the Gleggie bambino. Seeing now that there seems to be no black little ones in post-apocalypse Georgia and Virginia (and LA and Mexico) , I'm mildly concerned now about the kind of message being sent by the show. Hmmm.

#7 Michroolz, Jan 12, 2017
  8. Rickdickulous Trash

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Thank God this woman knows her own beauty and worth!

9. Ship Verse

Ship Verse Good Riddance 2016. 2017, Let's talk.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I still don't think Michonne should have a baby right now in the scope of our story, nor do I think her character needs a baby at any point, but I have to agree on the kids in the apocalypse. It's something I did not pay attention to because we don't see many children, but there have been none (outside of Duane) that have been of color and thats a damning sight. I don't think they pay much attention to it, nor do the audience, tertiary characters are rarely remembered on this show but the visual sucks. I think TWD in the grand scheme has always had a diversity problem, even when it has made leaps and bounds in other areas. I would hope that they would just show me some kids of color playing in the background if this is truly going to be The Next World.

DavieVC, Minty, winter and 10 others like this.
  10. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, well call me greedy, but I want more than a few black kids running around in the background. Michonne is one of the most powerful warriors combined that with Rick savageness that gives their child the best chance of survival. Even Rick said he wants to stay alive long enough to teach Judith how to survive, just throw another kid in there.

11. Michroolz

Michroolz Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Okay, I forgot to say that I specified black children as opposed to children of colour because children of colour (bar AA ones) are present in FTWD episodes.

DavieVC, Katbird and Denie39 like this.
  12. Ship Verse

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    You can be greedy all you want, and the visual I'm setting up isn't just about the characters but the world we are to believe could be our own should something like an apocalypse happen.

Of course Rick and Michonne's child would be the most bad ass kid we ever seen, but they are raising two together and though they may not be the color we may want their parents are just the same.

DavieVC, Minty, SweetDee85 and 6 others like this.
  13. RixChix

RixChix Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    i don't know how anyone could look upon a woman full of life and have a negative thought...it just boggles the mind how easily folks look for something negative when there is nothing negative to be seen.

To add on to that, I also don't know why it would be ok for Rick and Michonne to have a loving sexual relationship, and for them to raise his kids (yeah i know about Judes), but to completely dismiss the outcome of a sexual relationship (children). Why wouldn't the eventual outcome of their coupling (which we all swoon over), be a child at some point? To me, denying Michonne the opportunity to live on through a child, seeks to deny the femininity of Michonne. It feeds into a negative and dangerous stereotype of black women that they are tough, but do not possess fragility, and femininity I have read comments where some believe that her being pregnant diminishes her badassery, and makes her a liability...though I have yet to read the same commentary about Maggie. Additionally, there is nothing more badass than bringing life into the world, caring for that life, and helping it to survive. So, if the only way some can see value in Michonne's character is as a nanny/step-mom, or a warrior, but not as a giver of life...i have a problem with that. All the fighting and surviving they have been doing is for naught if there aren't some children to create and ensure a future.

14. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    We've already seen via Merle that the apocalypse is NOT a post-racial world. I'm wondering if say there was No Gleggie, Carl and Judith had died and only Andre survived would people still be spouting that the ZA is not the time and place for babies?

15. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    But according to Trump, all Black ppl live in the inner cities, so naturally they wouldnt survive an apocalypse

16. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Stating that one doesn't believe Michonne will bear a biological child within the storyline is not denying Michonne the possibility of children (or femininity). It's just speculation -- and generally founded with at least some canonical basis.

Michonne: "No. One was enough for me. And Andre was a handful, like you." ("Claimed", 4x11)​

There is the possibility Michonne doesn't want anymore children -- and, if that is the case, then it is her right as a woman to decide whether she wants that or not.

It doesn't deny any woman femininity to not have a biological child. Not all women are capable of giving birth (transwomen, cisgender women who've had hysterectomies, other various medical complications, etc.) and not all women want to give birth (pregnancy phobia, a lack of desire to raise children, financial reasons, they already feel satisfied with the amount of children they have, etc.). These are women are are still undeniably women -- regardless of whether they want or can bear children.

All that said, I am all for the prospect of Rick and Michonne adding to their family down the road if they both decide they want to do it and the storyline would benefit from such an arc. More than likely, I do think if Rick and Michonne decide to add to their family it will be near the end of the series -- and I am not sure how much of it we would see (even if it would be nice to see Michonne's pregnancy).

On the topic of children and diversity, I agree there's a problem. Not many kids are shown as is, and the majority of the kids we've seen are white (and, besides Carl and Judith, are dead at this point). I would like more living children in general to be shown in the background of all races. I think it's just something the writers overlook, but they should strive to be more cognizant of the message they're sending.

17. Ship Verse

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Is it really though? I don't think biological children are an outcome that necessitates legacy or validation. I understand what your all want to see, believe me I get it. I would love to see a mini-Michonne, but some of the rhetoric about it having and needing to happen or its all for naught is damaging just as much as it is to say it diminishes badassery and the strong black woman trope. Child bearing is not the be all end-all of femininity. There are women who are infertile through no fault of their own and can not produce biological children, they adopt or don't have kids at all, are they less than because they can't or chose not to? Also, a woman who has become a step mother, raised a child, how fair is it to make her seem any less than that child's mother? Especially when the biological mother is not in the picture? How is taking the choice away from a woman any better than what we see being done in our world today?

A woman has a right to choose when, how, and if ever she wants to have a child. Correct me if I am wrong but are you not reducing Michonne in the same way you don't want her to be reduced? She must have a child or the coupling means nothing for her. We can't say we want to allow a black female character to be anything and everything while at the same time cherry picking how that any and everything is portrayed. I think it is great to want Michonne to experience the beauty that is having a child of her own, but that is an experience you want for her, not an experience that would increase value or devalue if it went another way. Michonne herself said one child was enough for her. Can she change he mind? Absolutely. If she doesn't, that is not wrong either.

It is not a post-racial world, but yes I still think people would say there is no time for babies in the middle of war, in the middle of fighting for your life. I don't think people are here for the domestic as much as they are for everything else. A lot of people compare Richonne to Gleggie all the while forgetting that they are two different couples comprised of two different people with two different personalities. A couple at the age of 22 would feel differently about starting a family than a couple 10/15 years older with more experience. Its not just about having a child, its about the when, the where, and the how. Every couple that wants to start a family have a plan on what that family would look like, and how it would come to fruition according to their lifestyle and life experience. What is a true complete family for one is not transferable to another.

18. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    White skin good, black skin bad. The blacker the berry the deeper the hate.
    I am also right with you on Negan and his fans. How the fu#k can you actively root for a child murdering, sadistic rapist? How could what happened in November happen? Same reason folks.

DavieVC, box5angel, QueenTee and 2 others like this.
  19. Rickdickulous Trash

Patron

Walker Pets:
    On the color issue, we need to keep naming it for what it is...Weird, strange, invisible monster, NOT NORMAL. I think the biggest culprit is that the majority of us don't even know it's a manufactured falsehood...

20. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Actually, this is that is what white male writers wrote for her. This is what I meant that the bias has been written in since the GN. Kirkman is one shade above a prepper and this is like their fantasy novel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.