1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Missing Scenes & Missed Opportunities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MamaGrimes, Dec 29, 2016.

1. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Remember when characters on The Walking Dead actually spoke to each other? Had disagreements? Remember when we knew what they were feeling because they actually showed us instead of forcing our headcanons to tell the story?

Here's your chance to share the scenes that you
    wish the writers would have written. The moments, small or large, that would enhance the story, build up your favorite character and help to make sense of the overall story arc.

How about a scene or two during the time jump between 3x16 and 4x1 showing us how Carl and Michonne became friends?

Would it have been so wrong to add another scene with the Termites to build more tension and terror? Perhaps have Gareth toy with TF some more with some Blair Witch Project presents left around the church?

Feel free to not only share what kind of scene you want but the details to go along with it if you're feeling creative! Hey, if we're never going to see this stuff on our screen, at least we can create the content for each other!

2. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This list will probably take me three months to write. Oh wow. Uhhhh... where to begin?

(This is a mix of "they should've done this instead" + missing scenes)
    1. First and foremost, RICK SHOULD'VE ADDRESSED HIS CULPABILITY IN CARL LOSING HIS DAMN EYE. I will never forgive the show for skipping on showcasing Rick's guilt here. It made me think, "What the fuck was the point of all that mess if Rick doesn't even show he learned a damn thing?" Icing on the cake was Rick hand-waving Carl's insecurity over his disfigurement.
      I will go ahead and say "Rick and Carl talking scenes post-season 4" in general, because have there really been any? No. It's a relationship this show has fallen asleep on recently, and I am more than tired of it.
    2. Carol and Daryl should've been involved in the Anderson story, not Rick. It would've been much more fulfilling seeing two victims of abuse trying to aid a family that was in a domestic abuse situation.
    3. Speaking of which, Carol's emotional fallout from Sam's death was summed up with a cookie on the grave. One would think it could've served at least as the catalyst for her to talking to someone about the traumatic event of having to kill Lizzie, but that was skipped.
    4. Rick should've tried to leave Alexandria to save Glenn in "Now". It still irritates me that we didn't even see him try anything. Maggie and Aaron were the only ones who seemed to give a damn.
    5. Michonne not getting any scene post-killing Ron to discuss the fact she had to kill a teenager. I know Ron had to die, but like... she still had to kill a teenager. That's not a easy thing to deal with -- and it was just swept under the rug.
    6. ... I am beginning to notice most of mine are issues with season 6 (no surprise), but here's another: Rick never connected Lori/his wedding ring to Jessie in a tangible, coherent way. We're left to infer that's what was happening -- but it was never really adequately explained. If that's what they were going for, they missed the mark by not having Rick talk to someone.
    7. And you know who he could've talked to? DR. DENISE CLOYD. A psychologist! They had a psychologist at Alexandria and NO ONE EVER USED HER SERVICES. Augugughhhh the missed opportunities just drive me insane!
    8. Negan. I don't even know where to begin. I think ultimately they just should've eschewed attempting to bring the comic to life here and made Negan a character more in the vein of an old school mobster -- running the Saviors like a business operation -- as opposed to a sadistic man-child. He doesn't come across as threatening enough, but cartoonish, and it's severely hurting the show. (This isn't so much a missing scene as it is a "missed opportunity").
    9. At this point I think we're to assume Rick knows about Andre because Michonne told him, but it should've been a conversation we saw on screen to bring everything full-circle.
    10. Speaking of Michonne being a mother, it's aggravating we haven't seen any of the women talk to one another about motherhood. Why couldn't Michonne or Carol have talked to Maggie about her pregnancy?
    11. Why couldn't Rick have talked to Glenn about fatherhood and what to expect?
    12. Terminus should've been much longer. Grady should've been cut out of 5A entirely. The group should've been captive for more than a few hours. Beth should've been on the cannibal BBQ. Someone should've died at Terminus as well. It could've been a very interesting arc if they'd been bolder with it.
    13. The Wolves. Oh gosh THE WOLVES. They were hyped up for almost a half-season and dispatched by Assassin's Creed Carol and Morgan getting his TMNT on. It was so disappointing. They should've been a much more imposing threat. I thought it was going to be the Wolves that brought the walkers to Alexandria.
    14. Morgan's bottle episode backstory should've been relayed to Rick -- not the Wolf -- and it should've been during "East" instead of Rick going on about how Carol was right to kill Karen and David.
    15. There should've been a scene in 6A in the post-fallout of Sasha almost killing Gabriel. I wanted to see Sasha's mental recovery more than it being handwaved away and then Sasha being relegated to Abraham's love interest.
    16. Speaking of Sasha and Abraham, we should've seen them kiss at least once. What the hell, show?
    17. Daryl should've been Lucille'd instead of Glenn for leaping out of the line-up. It would've made more sense and shocked the audience more than Glenn getting his comic death.
    18. Denise shouldn't have died.
    19. Tara's bottle episode should've been split up across all of 7A as opposed to condensed in one episode. It would've made it more compelling as a C-plot building up as the episodes progressed.
    20. Maggie and Sasha should've been seen immediately post-Lucille -- not five episodes later.
    ... I am sure I'll be back with more. :rdrink:

3. DaisyRey

DaisyRey This Is Different
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Great list @Doctor Grimes. Yesss to those.

Instead of just giving in, Rick should have played along with the Saviors while secretly coming up with a plan. Basically, keeping it like the comics. I think AL thought it should have been that way too, based on interviews. He said something like it took way too long, in his opinion, to get to the point that Rick finally did in 7.08. AL knows Rick's character better than anyone and knows while Rick wants to protect those he loves more than anything, he's also a fighter.

4. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I appreciate them going with a broken, submissive Rick, but I agree it was out of character for Rick to not be scheming. I do think they did a good job showing Rick was still fiery on the inside in "Service", but I did find it hard to believe Rick genuinely thought obeying Negan would work. (not that I blame him, I don't at all, I just don't think it was in character)

5. Vivis

Vivis Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well, we could have had Rick talking to Michonne about his fear in losing Carl after his almost death because of Ron and then MAYBE...who knows MAYBE...we could have had the Andre talk...

6. MsAntiSocial

MsAntiSocial Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    I like that Rick was actually broken and scared and that he tried to be submissive. What happened with Negan was different than the other threats they've faced and I like that this situation shook his foundation so much that he couldn't and probably wouldn't immediately be thinking of a scheme to get them out of the mess they're in.

7. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Carl gets his eye shot out and we get nothing else about it.

Michroolz, CDCsuzy and box5angel like this.
  8. Michroolz

Michroolz Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    I would like to have seen -

What happened during their search for the Governor that made Derle and Michonne become such fast friends? It seemed like one moment he had his crossbow in her face, the next he was saying he was glad to see her. Derle and Aaron spent time away together as recruiters but arguably, aren't as close as Derle and Michonne.

What was it that alerted Derle to Rick's soft spot for Michonne that we see heavily hinted at in 4x01?

We saw Rick and Carl's reactions to their new house in the ASZ in s5 but I would like to have seen the reactions of the other members of TF too especially Michonne's as she had fought so hard to get them there.

9. TakemetoRick

TakemetoRick Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I agree with PP about a lot of what is missing. I also think it's especially unrealistic how so few of the TF ladies interact or discuss their feelings. Ever. They just scowl and do guard duty and yell at people, but no real conversation. I miss Denise because she tried to talk to people about stuff.

There have not been nearly enough scenes where Michonne talks about herself. I can't believe after three seasons we know almost nothing about her. I don't know why they saved all of this for the "Andre Talk" we've long awaited, but not telling us what she did for a living or anything else about her life before just to give her something heartfelt to share with Rick when they do finally have the talk, is weird. The same backstory is missing for a lot of characters.

10. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Many of mine have already been mentioned above but here are a few more:

• I would have liked to see Maggie dealing with her father's death as well as her separation from her sister while she searched for Glenn. It was very distracting watching those episodes with no mention of either.
    • I will always lament how the show robbed us of the reunion between Michonne and Rick/Carl at the end of 'After.' Would it have killed them to show Carl and Michonne hugging and Rick and Michonne gazing at each other emotionally? :denise:
    • They can show a montage of the pantry supplies being depleted in 6b but not show us ANYTHING of the 1-2 months after the herd came through? They couldn't show Carl's recovery, Michonne helping him, dinner table conversations, the community coming together to clear out the walker bodies and rebuild the wall? None of that? It could have been the opener with some cool music and would have bridged the gap. Instead they chose the 'shock' opener where we have to (once again) figure things out for ourselves.
    I'll come back with more later.

11. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Still think our first canon hug should have been when Carl opened that door after Rick said "it's for you."

12. Mischonne

Mischonne Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    In past seasons there was so much going. Now the total story focus is Negan who is not compelling as a villain at all.

Behind the scenes I would love to see Negan as less confident, paranoid, consistently not trusting his subordinates just like a real king out of the 14th. Killing to keep power and constantly making more enemies.

But the biggest thing for me is that walking dead is no longer an allegory it's reality. Maybe too real.

Also someone needs to get rid of the tiger. Not necessary.

13. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I am still cheesed we didn't get a reunion scene. :grumpy:

CDCsuzy, TakemetoRick and MamaGrimes like this.
  14. MsAntiSocial

Walker Pets:
    I've read quite a few fics about the time between knots untie and east, but I still wish the show would have shown a conversation between Rick and Michonne discussing the change in their relationship.

15. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    As mentioned multiple times above, the non-existent reunion scene between Rick, Michonne, and Carl in After. That would have been Grimes Family 2.0 gold even before they were considered a family.

More interaction between the ladies. Especially Carol and Michonnne. They both lost children during the ZA. Where's that discussion? I know we had Michonne talk to Carl about it and yes we still needed a talk between Richonne about it. But two mothers bonding over the lost of their child. Yeah, missed opportunity alright.

I'll be back with more.

MsAntiSocial and MamaGrimes like this.
  16. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne "You can smile now"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I totally agree with your post. I understand that Rick was broken after losing his friends and almost having to cut off Carl's arm, but to me would make Rock formulate a plan to anihilate Negan and co sooner rather than later.

17. MsAntiSocial

Walker Pets:
    I wish Michonne and Carol had become closer friends, but I don't want that bond to come through the loss of their children because I like the moment Michonne tells Carl about Andre and I want that to be something just between them and eventually Rick, and I like that Carol has chosen to cope with the loss of Sophia by pretending she didn't exsist.

box5angel likes this.
  18. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I can definitely understand that about being between Michonne and Carl, and hopefully we'll eventually see it with Rick. Danai did say that Rick knows about Andre. But not sure we'll see that.

Not to downgrade Carl, of course because I love him too but sometimes you need an adult and another woman to discuss certain things. That's one of the reasons why I mentioned that.

The whole Carol acting like Sophia doesn't exist thing goes along with how she is now, and that's not a good thing. Hence, the talk between her and Michonne. JMO

Edit: This would have been great during the prison or before she tried to leave Michonne out of things at the ASZ but I can't see it happening now though. Plus, to tell the truth, I don't think Carol would have been forthcoming. Still would have been nice. Hence, missed opportunities.

#18 box5angel, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  19. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The thing that pissed me off was the Daryl and Denise thing. The writers wanted to make her character more important before her death. Okay. Daryl was stealing self-help/psychology books during Consumed, right? This means that he knows he has a problem. He has admitted it to himself. That is usually the first and biggest step there is to getting help. I always thought it would have made sense for him to start interacting with Denise based around the fact that he was trying to chat up a psychiatrist to deal with his own personal issues. It didn't have to overt. Daryl was never going to be forthcoming. That isn't in his character. But I could imagine him asking her small things in passing. Maybe he asks her a question regarding a term he picked out from that book. It would have helped to build up Daryl and Denise's relationship so that when she was killed, it would actually been believable that Daryl would go off looking for revenge. I mean...they could have had it start during the time jump between 6x9 and 6x10 and have the audience enter in medias res to get around the awkward beginning if they wanted to.

I also think its a travesty that they haven't really built up the social interactions between group members. It doesn't make sense to me that Carol and Michonne would interact so little having both lost kids in the apocalypse.

box5angel likes this.
  20. Mischonne

Mischonne Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Jeez... what were Rick's thoughts right after Glenn and Abe were murdered.

box5angel likes this.