1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Negan's Sadism & Sexual Subtext

Discussion in 'Negan / Jeffrey Dean Morgan' started by Doctor Grimes, Oct 25, 2016.

1. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think Negan just meant that Dwight had not yet proven his loyalty enough to be given the honor of executing one of TF. He needed to try a little harder before he would be given such privileges. :ogg:

Canuckgirl, Mousey and LavenderNight like this.
  2. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Ah, that makes sense. It felt off to me since we know Dwight killed Denise, so I was wondering why Negan was holding him back.

3. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    See, I like your reading, but I took it completely different. I thought by "try a little" he meant torture & play with Daryl like he has been with Rick (which ties back into the weird sexual overtones in that line). Plus given that he lashes out at Glenn after that, someone who he knows has a wife in the lineup and who he can turn against Daryl with his actions, it's Negan wanting another plaything.

4. Gooey Goobert

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yes, that line just had this sexual vibe to it. I thought I was looking in to it oddly but glad to know someone else thinks so too. :negan:

Mousey likes this.
  5. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    Many of the Negan scenes all had sexual connotations to them which makes it even more disturbing and OTT because as we have determined, Negan is a sexual sadist. No doubt about that. He isn't a rapist in the typical sense, but he is truly ruled by his overcompensated sexual desire to hurt and inflict pain. He gets off on it, and probably had the biggest h**d-on EVER after his dealing with TF and especially Rick since he is obsessed with him on every level. Can he die like NOW please? :dienegan:

6. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I found a gifset that shows the "money shot."

Ugh.

7. Gooey Goobert

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It wasn't even remotely subtle. :dalewtf:

8. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Nope.

Nicotero is a freak. :negan:

9. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    In the comics, he had spies checking out ASZ, so I reckon he does on the show

blackjack likes this.
  10. forevermichonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

It's probably the black and white filter but that silhouette that the back light creates is WOOOOOWWWWW.

And people are saying there's no sexual subtext?

11. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    :lol:

Nicotero actually did some great stuff direction-wise in this episode, at least on this topic in particular. Like you said above, they completely translated Negan's sexual dialogue into JDM's physical movement and body language, which isn't all that easy to do. I suspect though it may be as much Gimple as Nicotero since he wrote the episode, and likely collab'd over it.

12. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I haven't gone around too much discussing the sexual subtext, mostly because it makes me feel all icky, but I am sure the people who don't see it just don't want to see it because of what it means about Negan's character (which is that this guy clearly gets hard over this).

13. candi18z

candi18z Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    I agree with this. I never want to see ep7x1 again. Like @Armte I felt sick just looking at the gifs of the episode. I hated everything that Negan did to Rick. It was heartbreaking to watch him be humiliated by NeganT_T. Negan is a sadist and he makes me sick! I want him to pay for everything that he has done to Rick and the rest of TF.:rant::rant:

Armte and Barbarossa-TWD like this.
  14. Delightfully Thomi

Delightfully Thomi Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think he said that he would go with him because he said that they have an "excellent" doctor and implied that they would bring Carl with him if he did cut the arm off!

#54 Delightfully Thomi, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Doctor Grimes likes this.
  15. richonneromance

richonneromance Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Yeah on reddit, someone got blasted for making a thread like this. All the usual "You're reading into it too much!" and "You're so fucking dumb!" responses.

16. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Maybe... it's possible. Or it could be that the writers forgot that Negan doesn't know Carl's name...

I need to rewatch 6x16 and see if anyone said Carl's name at a time when they were outside the RV. If they did, it's possible that a savior could have relayed that info at anytime to Negan (before hefirst came out of the RV).

17. JayHey

JayHey Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:

These are some great observations. I can definitely see this.

18. Riko813

Riko813 Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I think he knows there is a connection but he doesn't know the depth of that connection yet. That act of Michonne trying to reason with Negan gave away her deep relationship with Rick's son. No one else in the line up cried out or had an outburst when Negan was abusing Carl. No one else spoke up, only Michonne. The way Negan smiled and licked his lips when he spoke to Michonne, shows the wheels in his head turning, like he had a diagram in his mind and was connecting the dots. He was mentally drawing lines connecting the relationship of each member to the others. Michonne's outburst connected her to Carl (Rick's son). He probably figured if she had that strong a reaction to the abuse of Carl (enough to beg him to not do that to Carl), something must be going on with the father. If one has a strong relationship with the son, it is logical you have a strong relationship with the father in most cases.

If Negan didn't catch the interactions with Rick and Michonne (the looks, the stares), I bet Simon(his right hand man) did. That man is very astute. He will imo bring it up in conversation with Negan, especially when some more leverage is needed against Rick.

lovingdead and Doctor Grimes like this.
  19. Riko813

Riko813 Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    The sexual symbolism in this episode is off the charts. I don't know if other people see this as I do, but I thought the killing of Abe equated to the symbolic rape of Abe. The way Negan kept hitting Abe until his head was a bloody pulp(swinging harder and harder) was like he was thrusting (forcing himself) into Abe and TF. The way Negan arched his back and the groans he made after killing Abe conveyed the picture that he just finished orgasming and riding out it's waves. The way he held the bat, showing off his conquering of Abe and the belittling of Abe's remarks harkened to a rapists belittling a rape victim and showing off his bloody penis in triumph. What went through my mind was Negan was trying to convey that Abe might have been a big strong guy but he just made him his bitch and fucked him bloody. And of course as many have stated, there was the money shot with Negan splattering the blood on Rick's face.

20. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    They just don't want to acknowledge Negan's a sexual sadist.