1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Norman Reedus Rep Denies He's Pressuring The Walking Dead To Expand Daryl & Negan's Roles

Discussion in 'Daryl / Norman Reedus' started by SweetDee85, Apr 24, 2016.

1. thesamurai

thesamurai The World Is Ours
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    gmc_vitamind likes this.
  2. Caribbeanqueen11

Caribbeanqueen11 Supplier of Mints
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    @SweetDee85 I would refer you to the first paragraph of my response which replies to the allegations in the article that NR is pressuring the execs to expand his role etc. It appears that many including this particular magazine sees nothing wrong with painting NR in a certain light. My last comment about NR and his interaction with the fans was my opinion on the kind of person he appears to be.

As an aside, I respectfully disagree with your statement that "this has nothing to do with fans". NR has a fan base in the millions and AMC is well aware of his following and will utilize it to the fullest extent by ensuring he is front and centre in all things TWD including episodes where he is heavily featured. Any expansion of character roles will be based on said character's popularity with the fans which translates into more ratings/revenue for the walking dead.

3. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I love Daryl and I agree. It would have been great to watch him chance into the man he is now.

yuna, tuswig and Katbird like this.
  4. candi18z

candi18z Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:

Here is more from themarysue piece. "The way Kirkman presents the relationship between the comic and the show is intriguing. It’s almost like AMC’s version is a fanfic AU of the original, except instead of an obnoxious two-dimensional OC sent in to mix things up for our main characters, we get Norman Reedus. It’s the best possible alternative. If there’s a single person on planet Earth who doesn’t love him, I don’t want to know about it. As a non-comics reader, it’s hard for me to imagine The Walking Dead without Daryl. Next you’ll be telling me that no one wears a poncho, or Shane died really early on. Crazy."

When I read articles like the one from marysue it makes me sad. The Walking Dead is an ensemble, but this piece makes it seem like Daryl is the whole show. I am surprised at RK's gushing over Daryl, since he didn't create the character. Daryl is not the whole show, characters such as Michonne are just as important and as popular as Daryl.

5. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Huh...I am not going to assume that Daryl takes over Carl's story line because well...I just don't know how that would work well. I am taking all of this with a huge grain of salt.

I understand Kirkman's comments about Daryl, however, because its true. At this point, they have a created a character walking around in a world that is already pre-written to a certain extent. They are going to have to think about how any story line will affect this added piece. I would hope that they would be asking the same question regarding Rick as the lead of the show. A good writer would want to know how an event would affect the lead and everything that trickles down. Rick isn't the same person in the comics either. SO maybe they should also look into how certain events in the show affect "show Rick" and how that would be different than "comic Rick." They should be asking this question regarding all the characters on the show really. And its very telling if they aren't. Maybe this is why I feel some of the relationships are unearned in this show. I am suppose to think of the group as one big family but the writers aren't thinking of things on a grand scale. They should wonder how every story line will affect each character. From Rick down to Rosita and Eugene. When you don't think like that, you end up with what we currently have-- characters that aren't red shirts but the audience has no real investment in them.

That being said, I think it would have been a really interesting story if Daryl actually started out as a drug addict. I have been watching FTWD in passing and I am seeing how they have changed and grown Nick's character on that show and he is my absolute favorite. I think they would have gotten a way larger range out of Daryl. As for actors, the more complex the character is the better. I like Rick because although he is incredibly heroic, he is extremely flawed. Its is amazing to see a man that is strong physically but shows great cracks when it come to the mental. Shane's decent into darkness was great to see as well. There is a reason why a lot of people become fans of villains. I feel like Daryl's development plateaued at the end of Season 4. And I thought his interactions with Aaron would have opened up the character to further development, but the writers seemed to have dropped that story thread as well.

Jenna Alaki and Gooey Goobert like this.
  6. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah, we will have to agree to disagree as my opinion is not changing.

7. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yikes. That's article is something. It also makes it seem like every fan is obligated and required to love and worship Daryl. "If there’s a single person on planet Earth who doesn’t love him, I don’t want to know about it." I think the stans turn me off of Daryl more than Daryl himself, tbh.

I wasn't aware of this article until it was posted in this thread but it is very disheartening to say the least.

FLNatural, Jon Snows, Michele and 3 others like this.
  8. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

I could be so nasty right now but I can't even muster up the strength anymore.

9. Misty Knight

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Nailed it! Daryl Dixon is most definitely a Mary Sue.

candi18z, tuswig and AbsoluteTrash like this.
  10. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Ehhh...yes and no. Daryl's popularity may keep him alive but he's been sidelined before (5B and 6A) and he's been written horribly since season 5. He seemed to acknowledge that when talking about people saying he "doesn't know how to play Daryl anymore" he said well I don't write it. AMC may use him for money making but they don't care at all about his character development. Even these supposed arcs he may be getting in season 7 don't sound like great options to me. It's just going to be more of the same man pain and he may end up being stuck in the Sanctuary for half the season.

11. candi18z

Walker Pets:

I felt the same way when I read the piece. They make it seem like The Walking Dead is just about Daryl, and that he is the only character on the show that really matters and that makes me sad because I love all of the characters not just Daryl.

FLNatural likes this.
  12. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    TWD is about Rick and will always be about Rick. While I like Daryl, when the focus is on him in his bottle episodes, well they are really just so boring. When this becomes the Daryl show I will be out of here.

FLNatural and Michele like this.
  13. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki Saying "Yes"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well said!

14. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    Last time I checked, the story was supposed to be about Rick. They are going to lose fans by making this show about Daryl.

Madness and candi18z like this.
  15. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    That makes two of us.

16. candi18z

Walker Pets:
    I agree that the show is about Rick, and if that were to change the show would die.Tptb have already taken too much from other characters and given it to Daryl. Tptb are starting to let Daryl's overexposure and fanbase dictate the show's story lines. I am worried that tptb will eventually kill off Grimes family 2.0 and make Daryl the show's lead.

17. Narna

Narna Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    Sorry for dragging this back but I just want to share my opinion on many things here.

First of all, the way I see Norman is VERY great friends with Andy. Why on earth would he push him out of the show? Doesn't make any sense. Besides for this Norman has to be incredibly arrogant, which he is not as far as know. Yes, he loves attention, he is weird (to some people) but I have never seen anything that suggests that he thinks he is better than Andrew. He also said in one interview that he loves being Robin to Andy's Batman. Meaning: sidekick, supporting character not the one who is the main protagonist. So I don't get how people can even imagine that he would push out Andrew or even Steven and have the show for him and Jeffrey. Very stupid idea which I don't even know where it came from.

I can imagine him rooting for JDM getting the role but I think Jeffrey would have gotten it either way. Besides there's nothing wrong with actors trying to help other actors with getting a job.... What's even the problem with that? That's a good thing.
    While Norman and Andrew (i only heard about them but someone suggested others too so it's not just NR everywhere as you guys always say) has influence on the story in some ways (like the roadtrip episode which both of them wanted badly), the main entire plot will not be changed in my opinion. Yes, Norman and Jeffrey surely will have scenes, but that doesn't mean Negan will only interact and care about Daryl.

Now about Daryl. He may be popular (definitely not around here as I see it) but his story is almost meaningless since S3. He is popular yet they cannot write something good for him for 3 seasons. I don't know where you guys all getting this that Daryl will be everywhere, he will push off everyone. The character didn't get a decent story for 3 seasons. Like literally none at all, recently only his story with Dwight was meaningful. Sure, many others didn't get a story either (like Carl for instance) but hopefully they all do in this season.

And honestly I am very tired of "he took so much away from other characters." Because others didn't? I haven't read the comics but I did hear that fragments of Abraham's character are handed to MICHONNE and Daryl. What about Carol? She should have been dead already, isn't she also stealing the stories right now? Or you know, Michonne who is "stealing" Andrea's role right now? But I guess that is not a problem....

Anyway, Daryl might get finally some good story, no, I don't mean Carl's entire story, but he will have something with Negan and Dwight I am sure. And why is that a bad thing? He is still not the main protagonist and won't be, I am sure he won't "steal" everybody's story. I think that Negan can still have the interesting relationship with Carl even if he for some reason takes Daryl as hostage. These two can exist next to another easily...

Katbird likes this.
  18. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I agree with a lot of your points re: the overreaction to Daryl and Norman (and I say that as one of his biggest critics), but here I disagree.

The difference is that Daryl is a character who doesn't do much in terms of affecting the plot or maturing. He is relatively meaningless depending on point of view (as of right now, that could change), and yet he gets more dialogue and scenes than any other character except Rick. That's why there's so much criticism. He takes screen time away from characters who are more valuable to the narrative.

With regard to the argument he's stripped material from Abraham, I do agree it's true Michonne has taken some of Abraham's scenes as well, but the point people make with that is Daryl being Rick's only "right-hand man." In the comic, Rick had various guy friends who helped him out, who he could lean on and rely. In the show, he only has Daryl. Comic Rick was tight with Abraham and Tyreese at various points, but because of Daryl's existence, both those characters waned in importance. Especially Tyreese. Chad Coleman had even made a comment in the past how the existence of Daryl pretty much made his character pointless:

“The creation of Daryl, more than anything else, is probably the reason why I’m not on the show. I was [Rick’s] right-hand man [in the comics].”​

What also irks people is that Daryl takes moments that should've gone to other characters. A prime example from last season was the rocket launcher. We spent minutes watching Abraham get that thing from the hands of a walker, but then he didn't even get to fire it. Daryl got to shoot it twice. (Which is also unrealistic because a rocket launcher isn't just "point and shoot" -- it takes training and knowledge to operate one. Abraham would've at least known how to use one since he is a military man.) That rocket should've been fired by Abraham and Abraham alone. It was just given to Daryl to make him look "cool."

Michonne isn't stealing Andrea's story because Andrea is dead. Someone had to take the role because there was a vacancy. Carol is being slotted into Michonne's comic arc as a result (since Michonne shifting over made for an opening).

19. Narna

Narna Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    But then why hate the character itself and not the writing? It's not the character's fault that they don't give him meaningful story since season 3. In the first 3 seasons he did give as many as he could to the narrative in my opinion. And I did enjoy that.

But he is not the only character that is like that right now. I mean Carol hasn't given much to the narrative either until now and she had plenty screen time. I see that in Season 7 she will contribute to the main story and I hope Daryl too.

I don't want to offend anybody but to me here it sounds like anything is bad if it's Daryl. If he gets meaningful story then he steals it from somebody, if he doesn't get then he is meaningless, if he gets too much he steals Rick's and Carl's spotlight.

#79 Narna, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  20. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    There's many reasons to dislike a character: they just rub the individual the wrong way, they're morally deplorable, they're poorly acted, they're poorly written, they're boring, some combination of two or more of these things, etc.

A character is the product of it's writing, personality, environment, and the person portraying them -- but the writing is really the big thing as characters are fiction, and words are the DNA of most fictional characters. So the writing is the issue, but the writing is the character. They're not mutually exclusive.

I have hopes for Daryl that he will contribute to the narrative in a more significant way in season 7; it may help ease some of the issues I have about his character. But there are other reasons I dislike Daryl aside from his lack of storyline, which I don't see being resolved any time soon.